Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2014 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I've been offered tickets for Wimbledon! No.3 court for the 24th of June. Probably not the most prestigious tickets ever, but last years order of play shows that Stosur, Kerber, Tomic and Lopez all played on court 3 on this day, so not too bad either. Not sure if I'll actually be able to go with money and all that, but still... exciting! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

Oh you are so lucky! I went in 2012 with a couple of friends (without tickets) and just queued on the 2nd monday and tuesday and on the tuesday we got Centre Court tickets and it was honestly one of the best days I've ever had! You will not regret going :D

I'm still hoping for tickets from the ballot, haven't heard anything back yet though.

RosyLily wrote: »
    ^ Nope! :p Saving it for Wimbledon.

To be fair if that is when they next played I would happily take it. So long as it was a good match :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Dimitrov on fire in the first couple of games against gulbis.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've been offered tickets for Wimbledon! No.3 court for the 24th of June. Probably not the most prestigious tickets ever, but last years order of play shows that Stosur, Kerber, Tomic and Lopez all played on court 3 on this day, so not too bad either. Not sure if I'll actually be able to go with money and all that, but still... exciting! :)
    I got no 2 court one year. Roddick was playing and I was approached by an American for a swap - he gve me his Centre Court ticket where I duly saw Andy Murray.

TBH the atmosphere is great wherever your ticket is, and you never know who you might end up seeing

• Advertisement

Murray loses to Raonic in 3 sets. Interestingly, Raonic leads their head to head 3-1 now which I was surprised to see. The top seeds are all pretty much gone now except for Federer and Djokovic if I'm not forgetting anyone. No Nadal, Murray, Delpo, Gasquet, Berdych, Tsonga, Ferrer before the QFs which is odd!

Edit: completely forgot Wawrinka who is actually still there.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

WaterLily. wrote: »
    Murray loses to Raonic in 3 sets. Interestingly, Raonic leads their head to head 3-1 now which I was surprised to see. The top seeds are all pretty much gone now except for Federer and Djokovic if I'm not forgetting anyone. No Nadal, Murray, Delpo, Gasquet, Berdych, Tsonga, Ferrer before the QFs which is odd!

Edit: completely forgot Wawrinka who is actually still there.
    Now that is a surprising stat. Murray won the one that mattered most though!
    Disappointing to see Andy lose, I just hope he's back at full fitness for Wimbledon, or at least 80% of the way there.

Simona Halep continues her incredible form, into the semi finals of Indian Wells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

And now there goes my all Swiss QF. Big players falling like flies. Federer to follow suit?

EDIT: Not a chance, super from Federer, striking it so clean. Thought he was average if not poor so far but tonight he looked good. Anderson will be tough to beat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Murray has underwhelmed quite a bit since he returned sadly.

Annoyed that Anderson beat Wawrinka, was looking forward to That Swiss QF. Anderson is like Isner, such a boring player but gets by because of his big serve.

One small complaint about Stan though, he calls the trainer when he was a set and a break down yet in Australia when Nadal did the exact same thing he threw an absolute fit! Just a little hypocritical I have to say!

I hope Federer or Gulbis wins the whole thing now, I couldn't stand if one of the serve bots or Djokovic with the easiest draw ever won it.

• Advertisement

Wozniacki's merry-go-round of coaches continues, Michael Mortensen is out
    http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/03/wozniacki-parts-ways-yet-another-coach/50892/#.UyI9dvl_tbG
    :pac:

Simona Halep will move up to world #5 next Monday. She needs to do well in RG/Wimbledon to justify this ranking though.

Edit: Didn't even remember that Wozniacki was defending finalist points this week, down to #18 now.

Apparently Roger & Mirka have another set of twins on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

WaterLily. wrote: »
    One small complaint about Stan though, he calls the trainer when he was a set and a break down yet in Australia when Nadal did the exact same thing he threw an absolute fit! Just a little hypocritical I have to say!

My memory is crap, but did Rafa not vanish to get some treatment for ages which pissed of Stan as he did not know what he was been treated for?

But yeah, the trainer break rule is hijacked non stop by players trying to regather their thoughts and unsettle their opponents, it would be naive to think Stan or anyone is harmless when it comes to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I think the umpire should reiterate the trainer rules before every match, like they do with challenges. Just to let the players know when it's okay to call for a trainer and when they'll have to wait. It's been used too often to unsettle opponents.

Was it at the U.S. Open 2012 that Djokovic called for a trainer before Murray was serving for the title? Thought that was really bad form and completely unnecessary.

With regards to Wozniacki....UGH!! I'll just say this - there's no coach gonna help you improve your game when they're not given enough time!!!! I could rant more on this but I won't! :pac:

FYI - yerwanthere123, you HAVE to go to Wimbledon!! It's amazing and well worth it.

RosyLily wrote: »
    I think the umpire should reiterate the trainer rules before every match, like they do with challenges. Just to let the players know when it's okay to call for a trainer and when they'll have to wait. It's been used too often to unsettle opponents.

Was it at the U.S. Open 2012 that Djokovic called for a trainer before Murray was serving for the title? Thought that was really bad form and completely unnecessary.

With regards to Wozniacki....UGH!! I'll just say this - there's no coach gonna help you improve your game when they're not given enough time!!!! I could rant more on this but I won't! :pac:

FYI - yerwanthere123, you HAVE to go to Wimbledon!! It's amazing and well worth it.

BiB1: Yes it was. He got up out of his chair pretty quickly though when the crowd started booing!

BiB2: I purchased the tickets today! Got two tickets for £38 each, not bad at all. Pretty excited about it now! :)

Good stuff!! You won't regret it. The sausage rolls there are amazing!!:D

I'm heading the 26th June, tickets for that day were £52 iirc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I guess I'm not getting offered tickets at this point :(

How exactly do the tickets work? Are there morning and evening sessions or what? Or will my tickets be valid for the whole day on that court? The confirmation email didn't specify any of this.

Wimbledon don't do morning and evening sessions. Your ticket is for the entire day.:)

Great stuff :)

• Advertisement

Federer making mince of opponents who have knocked out some top top seeds. Should be up against Djokovic in what could very well be another super match which will most likely again go unnoticed. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,745 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Great final ahead tonight on SS. Coverage from 2030 hrs.

Not a bad start to the womens final. Pennetta had break points in the first game. Radwanska's knee and shoulder are taped up, is she injured?

Radwanska having a nightmare in the first set. She has lost the last 4 games and is down 5-3. She can't seem to hit a ball in the court.

Aga is definitely injured...her movement is god awful!! Happy to see Flavia win it though; nice to see someone else win a big title. Would this be her first Premier title?

Decent enough match. First two sets, although good to watch either player playing well, went by without being great seeing as it was dominance vs. average play. 3rd set saw both playing some very good stuff. Great fight for Federer to come back but was pretty woeful in the breaker.

Good to see Novak get the title, him and Federer seem a level above everyone else at the moment. Will be interesting to see how Nadal, Murray and Wawrinka react in the coming weeks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Floppybits wrote: »
    Not a bad start to the womens final. Pennetta had break points in the first game. Radwanska's knee and shoulder are taped up, is she injured?

Radwanska's shoulder has been taped up as far back as I can remember, I think she was born with a taped up shoulder :)

Seriously though I think it's like Li Na and her knee, they were injured and taped up for so long that they got used to wearing the tape so keep it on even when not injured.

Aga's knee on the other hand is a new issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Very impressed with Federer's comeback, he was unlucky not to win it, that new racket is working for him - bigger head size someone mentioned ?

I'm still glad Nole won though :)

Yes, it's impressive how Federer has turned things around this year. At this rate it looks feasible that another Wimbledon could be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Anyone know if James McGee is playing qualies at Miami ?

Advertisement