Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depressing Dublin House prices

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

ted1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't class ballyfermont or Tallaght as being Southside.

SCD is basically any area inside the M50 excluding suburbs that have a canal. Ballyfermont, inchicore, Crumlin etc

It's more of an area than a geographic area.

Proper SoCoDu is anything between the coast and the N11 including things within a mile on the far side

Ballybrack yeah?

You are half right though. Nobody really knows what they mean when they say SCD, and nobody really knows what someone else means when they say SCD.

And this is why we have people assuming people are suggesting that folks on average earnings should be able to live in a house on Aylesbury Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,424 ✭✭✭✭ted1

spockety wrote: »
    Ballybrack yeah?

You are half right though. Nobody really knows what they mean when they say SCD, and nobody really knows what someone else means when they say SCD.

And this is why we have people assuming people are suggesting that folks on average earnings should be able to live in a house on Aylesbury Road.
    Bally anything is genreally a no no ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

I was born on the northside, I moved southside when I was in my teens. I lived in the city centre for a few years, then I moved northside again for a few years, then I bought a house on the southside. I wouldn't even consider buying a house on the northside unless it was in a highly desirable area and even still where I would consider highly desirable would be too far out of the city for me.

It's all well and good to make an assumption based on what you haven't done. Don't knock the southside til you've lived in a few postcodes. Likewise the northside. As it happens I moved out of the city to the countryside about 8 years ago. Love it here. Wouldn't move back to the city in a heartbeat, too many people, not enough space, parking issues etc.

Well your opinion is a bit biased as you just sound like you you don't like the city full stop!

I live on the southside (I rent in an affluent area that I'd neeever be able to afford!)

I'll knock the southside to buy as I know no people there and it's overpriced.

Granted im from an affluent area of the northside and finglas is a kip but its not all like finglas

"South County Dublin - It will surprise you!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

http://www.visitdublin.com/pdf/SouthCountyMap.pdf

http://gis.sdublincoco.ie/historical_mapping/

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=south+county+dublin+map&ie=UTF-8&ei=n6-4UtOKBfDe7AbUxoH4Dg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg

It's about as laughable as someone who said that Clontarf and Sutton are included when someone says 'SCD' haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

lima wrote: »
    Well your opinion is a bit biased as you just sound like you you don't like the city full stop!

I live on the southside (I rent in an affluent area that I'd neeever be able to afford!)

I'll knock the southside to buy as I know no people there and it's overpriced.

Granted im from an affluent area of the northside and finglas is a kip but its not all like finglas

Biased? When I lived there for 33 years? No, I grew out of city living. If I moved country I don't think I'd live in another city, I just prefer the peace of rural living.

You mustn't get out much if you don't know anybody on the southside. You live there by choice and you'd still knock it? Doesn't make much sense. You obviously enjoy the amenities and the lifestyle it affords you, it's just that you can't afford to buy there.

• Advertisement

Biased? When I lived there for 33 years? No, I grew out of city living. If I moved country I don't think I'd live in another city, I just prefer the peace of rural living.

You mustn't get out much if you don't know anybody on the southside. You live there by choice and you'd still knock it? Doesn't make much sense. You obviously enjoy the amenities and the lifestyle it affords you, it's just that you can't afford to buy there.

Are you saying that all the joys of the world will be unearthed if I make contact with people in the south of dublin? :rolleyes: You are so wise. Actually the immediate area I live in because it is a place I will never be able to afford to buy in and I know that.

The only amenities in the area I live in that are better than their northside equivalent are as follows:

I have lived in London/Germany/Australia for 7 years. The experience of doing so has (among other things) shaped me in so far as that I need to have an urban living lifestyle: close to cafe's/restaurants/shops/friends and minimal commute time. The inner suburbs (outside of the canal) of the southside afford the closest to this type of living that is possible in a place like Dublin. Whereas the inner suburbs of the northside are not safe as you have to navigate through inner-city dives as there is no route through like there is from Harolds Cross to Grand Canal.

The rest of southside dublin is mostly bland suburbia. Dalkey and Sandycove are nice though.
    Personally, the amenities afforded to me in my northside upbringing included a huge park, large beach, close to my university, and 15min on a bus into the city centre. The only reason I don't live there now is that it is a little too suburban for me.

So, the area I live in is not suburb, rather it is inner-suburb. The rest of the southside I knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Are you saying that all the joys of the world will be unearthed if I make contact with people in the south of dublin? :rolleyes: You are so wise. Actually the immediate area I live in because it is a place I will never be able to afford to buy in and I know that.

Maybe if you broadened your horizons with meeting people it might help with the secular image you have of an entire area.
    The only amenities in the area I live in that are better than their northside equivalent are as follows:

I have lived in London/Germany/Australia for 7 years. The experience of doing so has (among other things) shaped me in so far as that I need to have an urban living lifestyle: close to cafe's/restaurants/shops/friends and minimal commute time. The inner suburbs (outside of the canal) of the southside afford the closest to this type of living that is possible in a place like Dublin. Whereas the inner suburbs of the northside are not safe as you have to navigate through inner-city dives as there is no route through like there is from Harolds Cross to Grand Canal.

The rest of southside dublin is mostly bland suburbia. Dalkey and Sandycove are nice though.
    Personally, the amenities afforded to me in my northside upbringing included a huge park, large beach, close to my university, and 15min on a bus into the city centre. The only reason I don't live there now is that it is a little too suburban for me.

So, the area I live in is not suburb, rather it is inner-suburb. The rest of the southside I knock.

Given time, your needs will probably change. There's fantastic areas in the southside that you dismiss now that you may well live in later in life. Although the way prices are going they may be out of reach by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I went to Churchtown the other week, it's a pretty ugly/depressing place!

Bang on I work there its a depressing kip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Bally anything is genreally a no no ;)

i grew up in ballybrack. it is pleasant south dub suburbia. pretty safe. used to be a few fake wannabe mad bastards with new runners from mammy. all talk. but that was yonks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

The Spider wrote: »
    People looking to buy in SCD are professionals, people on average incomes can look at the houses I posted
    Sub 150, which weren't all in Tallaght or jobs town plenty in Blanchardstown and Lucan too.

I can't afford Dalkey should prices come down there do I can afford it?

You're a master of deflection. It was stated to you by myself that there are huge swathes of Dublin in the 150-300k odd range which are NOT exclusive like your Dalkey.

Average earners should be entitled to afford to live in average areas which are safe in the 150-300k odd range. The rich can live in Dalkey etc all they like.

Earlier you had mentioned Blanchardstown, you forgot to mention that Blanch is divided between dodgy areas(sub 150k) and good areas which are 150k-300k. Now as you know the rich will not live in Blanch as they have your Dalkey so who is left to buy there? Yes, its that average earning person\couple who still find it too expensive to live there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

moxin wrote: »
    You're a master of deflection. It was stated to you by myself that there are huge swathes of Dublin in the 150-300k odd range which are NOT exclusive like your Dalkey.

Average earners should be entitled to afford to live in average areas which are safe in the 150-300k odd range. The rich can live in Dalkey etc all they like.

Earlier you had mentioned Blanchardstown, you forgot to mention that Blanch is divided between dodgy areas(sub 150k) and good areas which are 150k-300k. Now as you know the rich will not live in Blanch as they have your Dalkey so who is left to buy there? Yes, its that average earning person\couple who still find it too expensive to live there.

Ok, have to say I'm a bit lost here, so what price do you think the average earning person should pay, if it's not 150k or below?

Based on n average salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

spockety wrote: »
    Ballybrack yeah?

People who use the bulls&%t term scd mean their area and any area which they class as higher status than it. South county Dublin is the area of county Dublin which does not have a post code.

I have never used the term in any other way.

However I understand the 'I'm from scd but x area isn't really scd' mentality. Growing up in rathgar I remember being puzzled as to how people had such poor taste that they lived in areas like knocklyon ballinteer or kimmage - I was just a kid. Of course I never considered that I lived in scd. Now that would be just ignorant.

SCD is basically any area inside the M50 excluding suburbs that have a canal. Ballyfermont, inchicore, Crumlin etc

Proper SoCoDu is anything between the coast and the N11 including things within a mile on the far side

Bull

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Ok, have to say I'm a bit lost here, so what price do you think the average earning person should pay, if it's not 150k or below?

It's probably 150k alright, but the issue is what that buys you in an Irish property bubble.

Not at present prices for those listed. That 250k house should be 150k if we had a properly functioning market with no govt supported artificial floors. The average person should be able to afford a 150k house after a few years of savings.

Presently the average wage is about 35k. Banks will only lend 3.5 times that so you have 122.5k mortgage. Throw in a 30k deposit and that is where the average house in Dublin should be for the average earner.

I already listed the areas where such a buyer could buy at that price but the asking prices in the 150k-300k bracket are out of whack now.

?

A. Yes these areas ARE on the south side.

B.
    It's more of an area than a geographic area.???

Do u mean a belief as in if i Believe in scd then that's where I am?

C. SCD is basically any area inside the M50 excluding suburbs that have a canal. Ballyfermont, inchicore, Crumlin etc

- so ranelagh rathmines ballsbridge aren't? Which in fact I would agree with you on. Your explanation though is feeble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I wonder by how much welfare moms have inflated the rental market through subvention from the government?

ezra_pound wrote: »
    ?

A. Yes these areas ARE on the south side.

B.
    It's more of an area than a geographic area.???

Do u mean a belief as in if i Believe in scd then that's where I am?

C. SCD is basically any area inside the M50 excluding suburbs that have a canal. Ballyfermont, inchicore, Crumlin etc

- so ranelagh rathmines ballsbridge aren't? Which in fact I would agree with you on. Your explanation though is feeble.
    Ranelagh rathmines and ballsbridge are all within a mile of the N11 and would be included.

Ranelagh rathmines and ballsbridge are all within a mile of the N11 and would be included.

But they are canal areas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Hello_MrFox

This thread makes for an interesting read. I know now no matter how hard i work or how well i do i will never be able to afford to live in Dublin, the property prices are well beyond reach for the average paid worker.

• Advertisement

moxin wrote: »
    Not at present prices for those listed. That 250k house should be 150k if we had a properly functioning market with no govt supported artificial floors. The average person should be able to afford a 150k house after a few years of savings.

Presently the average wage is about 35k. Banks will only lend 3.5 times that so you have 122.5k mortgage. Throw in a 30k deposit and that is where the average house in Dublin should be for the average earner.

I already listed the areas where such a buyer could buy at that price but the asking prices in the 150k-300k bracket are out of whack now.

Here's the thing, if that house that's for sale for 250k doesn't sell that means they'll either have to drop the price or take it off the Market.

If it does sell then it wasn't overpriced as it sold, that's the Market at work.

As I've said in previous threads I looked at what I could get last year and we decided to move out of Dublin and get a mc mansion and commute in.

Closer to home and family support and all that, I have no stake in the SCD argument, but the facts are the facts, and I do know that you have got to be earning a pretty decent salary to buy in the more salubrious areas.

We could've but didn't see a particular advantage to it.

This thread makes for an interesting read. I know now no matter how hard i work or how well i do i will never be able to afford to live in Dublin, the property prices are well beyond reach for the average paid worker.

Don't be average, don't settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

GreeBo wrote: »
    I've met lots of people who graduated 10 years ago thanks, and I don't appreciate what you are implying tbh.

Naturally the majority of the people I grew up around are from similar backgrounds and are now living in similar circumstances.
    Your stats on people of different backgrounds and circumstances are largely irrelevant to this conversation.

I live and grew up in SCD, I know the sort of people that live there in all the various places that encompass that very large, disparate area. There are plenty of places that I wouldn't be happy to be after dark abd likewise places I couldn't afford to drive through too.

Comparing the population of one of the countries most affluent areas to the average is akin to comparing Dubai to the rest of the area. It looks like a great argument stats wise, but in reality it's telling you nothing.

Good job sidestepping the actual figures that demolished your point.

I'm going to call "unlikely" on your anecdotes. Only 5% of households in the entire state earn the kind of money you're talking about and they are not all going to live in Dublin and even there, the "graduated 10 years ago and earn loads of molah" subset of that subset is miniscule. You're talking about a tiny subset of a tiny subset and saying "yep, these guys have the financial resources to keep the entire Dublin market floating in the clouds".

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

gaius c wrote: »
    Good job sidestepping the actual figures that demolished your point.

I'm going to call "unlikely" on your anecdotes. Only 5% of households in the entire state earn the kind of money you're talking about and they are not all going to live in Dublin and even there, the "graduated 10 years ago and earn loads of molah" subset of that subset is miniscule. You're talking about a tiny subset of a tiny subset and saying "yep, these guys have the financial resources to keep the entire Dublin market floating in the clouds".
    no. I'm not saying that at all actually.
    Look at my posts. SCD is a very settled region, prices are high because of desirability and lack of available housing.

Sidestepping ? What, your median income point? I already rebuked that, of course there are more people on lower incomes, your income increases over time.

The miniscule argument is also flawed, there were over 100 people in my year in college who would have similar disposable income to me, that's one year in one course. How many houses are currently for sale in SCD in the market we are taking about?

Supply and demand controls markets, whether you like it or agree with .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I wonder by how much welfare moms have inflated the rental market through subvention from the government?

Oh dear Mongfinder General,....talkin about the war when you were TOLD not to mention it...Bold Corner for you I'm afraid !!

The events of 2008 are now obviously History,the past is a different country and all of that....
    Sprockety: There is not a single house for sale in Dublin for less than 150k that will not result in you and/or your children being victims of crime or anti social behaviour, or where your street or estate isn't name checked in the courts section of your local paper regularly.

So...is it a case that we hope our Social Stratafication can be maintained so as to ensure those sub 150K inhabitants don't leach out into the more desirable areas ?

The land frontier between Killiney and Ballybrack is somewhat fluid,as can be said for Ballymun/Finglas/Glasnevin and Blanchardstown/Castleknock etc etc....

I'm leaning towards Mongfinders frame of mind...sort out a functional Long Term Residential Rental system and you'll end up with a far more content and realistically minded population....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Oh dear Mongfinder General,....talkin about the war when you were TOLD not to mention it...Bold Corner for you I'm afraid !!

The events of 2008 are now obviously History,the past is a different country and all of that....

So...is it a case that we hope our Social Stratafication can be maintained so as to ensure those sub 150K inhabitants don't leach out into the more desirable areas ?

The land frontier between Killiney and Ballybrack is somewhat fluid,as can be said for Ballymun/Finglas/Glasnevin and Blanchardstown/Castleknock etc etc....

I'm leaning towards Mongfinders frame of mind...sort out a functional Long Term Residential Rental system and you'll end up with a far more content and realistically minded population....;)

If they do leach in, that's one way to bring prices down as desirable becomes get me the hell out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

GreeBo wrote: »
    no. I'm not saying that at all actually.
    Look at my posts. SCD is a very settled region, prices are high because of desirability and lack of available housing.

Sidestepping ? What, your median income point? I already rebuked that, of course there are more people on lower incomes, your income increases over time.

The miniscule argument is also flawed, there were over 100 people in my year in college who would have similar disposable income to me, that's one year in one course. How many houses are currently for sale in SCD in the market we are taking about?

Supply and demand controls markets, whether you like it or agree with .

And facts with supporting evidence trumps unsupported anecdotes, whether you like it or not.

People on "normal" wages should be able to afford "normal" houses in places like Walkinstown, Knocklyon, Ballyboden, West Kimmage, Ballinteer, etc but in fact, you need google or doctor level wages to afford those.

And facts with supporting evidence trumps unsupported anecdotes, whether you like it or not.

People on "normal" wages should be able to afford "normal" houses in places like Walkinstown, Knocklyon, Ballyboden, West Kimmage, Ballinteer, etc but in fact, you need google or doctor level wages to afford those.
    In certain parts of those areas google wages and doctor wages are the norm. Just like in certain parts of Ireland, no wage is the norm.

In certain parts of those areas google wages and doctor wages are the norm. Just like in certain parts of Ireland, no wage is the norm.

Not sure if you're being specific but alot of Walkinstown is Corpo housing(St James Rd is not for the pedantics :) ). If I was a doctor or a solicitor, i wouldn't be aiming to live there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Your facts dont support your argument, they are just facts about wages and house prices and population stats.
    Thats all irrelevant when it comes to the open market.

But why *should* they?! Are you a socialist?
    You can should your way through life, but meanwhile life will continue ignoring you.

Advertisement