Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Infoanon wrote: »
    Nascar and Anthony West in Moto GP used #13, IndyCar don't use the number.

Viso in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Zcott wrote: »
    if anyone has a Sky account with F1 and is looking for a financial donation, let me know...

Kickass Torrents has got me through the last two seasons of F1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Very sad to hear, he always seemed a really top bloke & so proud of Jenson. RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭Killinator

R.I.P

A constant at every GP, like Webbers Dad he seemed like he just enjoyed being part of it all while offering his support to Jenson.

Devastating loss for JB, hoping it doesn't destroy his season before it even starts, John will be missed by alot of people on the grid and in the paddock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

A huge loss. It's funny how during Jenson's title winning season, the cameras used always manage to find him just as Jenson crossed the line.
    R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Very sad news, thoughts are with his family, seemed a very popular man on the paddock and will be missed. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

RIP John.

I'll miss seeing that pink shirt in the paddock...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

RIP, Always seemed to be Jensons biggest fan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

RIP
    very sad. Prayers with Jenson and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

KarlFitz01 wrote: »
    Same hope it isn't true Gary was good when they where talking about the technical part of the cars.

The blog post I referenced has been updated to say that Anderson was pushed rather than jumping of his own accord. Seems odd to do in a year with massive technical changes. Wonder if they have anyone else lined up, like a recently retired team boss from a German team?

• Advertisement

SamAK wrote: »
    Kickass Torrents has got me through the last two seasons of F1!

Yeah...I prefer to watch live and with a decent video quality. Those two things only happen with a Sky subscription :-(

Horrible news for anyone but especially about someone so well liked and respected in the paddock.

The blog post I referenced has been updated to say that Anderson was pushed rather than jumping of his own accord. Seems odd to do in a year with massive technical changes. Wonder if they have anyone else lined up, like a recently retired team boss from a German team?

Brundle, Humphrey, & now Anderson...how the mighty Beeb have fallen in recent years. They were the apex of F1 coverage not so long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Viso in 2009.

D'oh - thanks - same sponsor as Pastor !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

RIP John Button, Thoughts and Prayers to his family, definitely going to miss seeing him in the paddock and his interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Very sad news, thoughts with his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

R.I.P. Just after reading about him, Jenson wouldn't be where he is without him- borrowing and working to fund his racing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Myrddin wrote: »
    Brundle, Humphrey, & now Anderson...how the mighty Beeb have fallen in recent years. They were the apex of F1 coverage not so long ago

And it was essentially free! :(

logik wrote: »
    And it was essentially free! :(

Yeah, they've really dropped the ball. Since they announced all their cost cutting measures F1 has become a second class sport. All F1 TV contracts state that at least some races will be on free to air, so to me it sounds like the BBC are doing the bare minimum to get by. Which is a shame.

To be fair to them, though, it was probably inevitable. F1 has been increasingly moving to pay TV all over Europe and it was only a matter of time before Sky wanted that contract. I'd pay for Sky but I don't want to pay for a thousand channels just to watch F1, so I'm stuck with illegal streams.

I'd pay for Sky but I don't want to pay for a thousand channels just to watch F1, so I'm stuck with illegal streams.

Yeah, it's pretty poor that UPC won't bother offering Sky F1 here...I know Sky have no problem giving the channel 3rd party rights in the UK which makes it all the more annoying here. I use Sky GO when it's a non BBC race, & even with a 120Mb connection, it can be still fair/middling quality wise at times. Had a few drop outs too so I switch to Setanta when that starts happening, & then back to GO when Setanta start horsing around with ads.

BBC - Half the races not covered
    Setanta - A computer controlling live coverage means awful, awful coverage
    Sky F1 - Expensive, & a channel you'll watch for a few days every month for ten months of the year only.
    Sky GO - Quality can suffer.

• Advertisement

I got Sky F1 HD myself as part of the HD package with Sky 2 years ago as it was on 14 euro a month as opposed to Sky Sports being 40+ euro a month.

Love their coverage and as Myrddin says, I watch it for days even in-between races.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Williams F1 Team strengthens technical department.

That's good news. Hopefully they will provide Felipe with a decent car this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Jordan 191 wrote: »

That's good news. Hopefully they will provide Felipe with a decent car this year :)

Am I alone in thinking that Bottas will be the quicker of the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Am I alone in thinking that Bottas will be the quicker of the two?

No, but that said, I think it will be very close.

No, but that said, I think it will be very close.

I think it will be very close too, but I think Massa will just edge it over Bottas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

It's going to be one of the most interesting team mate battles I think. Would love to see Massa do well but I also think Bottas is something very special. My guess would be Bottas ends up with slightly more points through consistency but Massa has the more impressive individual results.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In relation to Anderson's loss, big shame, I hope perhaps he may still be involved with 5Live at some point or that viewers might petition BBC to reinstate him. I remember thinking he was quite a coup for RTÉ when he joined them way back when.

Jordan 191 wrote: »

This is great news, seems they are really trying again. I mean the last two seasons have been their worst in the history of the sport no?

logik wrote: »
    This is great news, seems they are really trying again. I mean the last two seasons have been their worst in the history of the sport no?

Yep, aside from Pastor's freak win in Barcelona 2012 it's been a dire few years. They're in a transition period away from Patrick Head and Frank Williams and they're just struggling to get back on their feet. Having said that, everyone wants to see Williams do well and it's not impossible that they can't do well again. Post-Senna, McLaren were hardly a team to be reckoned with - their cars from 1993-1997 were awful until Adrian Newey came along. Hopefully Pat Symonds can do something good at Williams, and having Smedley there can only bring out the best in Felipe.

• Advertisement

Ferrari to launch this years challenger on the 25th of January.

Fans can choose the name for this years car on the Ferrari website.

Advertisement