Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

No disrespect to those drivers but I think they would be seen as a serious downgrade on Alonso if he were to leave. Though I would like to see the Hulk get his big opportunity.

Only 2 drivers would soften the blow so to speak, they need someone of the calibre of Alonso, and there are only about 2 at the minute, but in about a year there would be about 4 drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Gintonious wrote: »
    http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/heritage/driver/fernando-alonso/

And this pops up on McLarens site today.

Looks like the boy is off. Ferrari, you have severely ****ed yourselves now.

Very interesting. Had Alonso not been mentioned in the heritage section at all before?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Very interesting. Had Alonso not been mentioned in the heritage section at all before?

Apparently not, but I would find that hard to believe. It popped up on another forum so you never know.

It's very complimentary.

I'm dying to find out now! An Alonso move could kick off a potential landslide of driver movements

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Yep, Alonso holds all the keys right now and everyone seems to be waiting on him moving to any of the teams he's been linked to (which appears to be every team out there...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭Infoanon

There was some rumors going around during the last week that it would be Button and Alonso at Mclaren, I wouldn't immediately assume that it will be Button making way.

3 car teams still needs to resolve itself, but it does look like Jenson would be the one to make way - could he end up at Ferrari for a stop gap year ? And again 3 car team s could change the outcome.

There will be announcement at Suzuka that will entail a world champion.

Which doesn't make it any clearer because Button is also a world champion.

Tockman wrote: »
    Interesting tweet here...

PitLaneTalk
    The penalty of €30 million for leaving Ferrari has been paid by Honda and an announcement is expected at the Japanese GP. #F1 #Formula1

Looks like the end of the road for button.

Now this!

https://twitter.com/pitlanetalk/status/515187508960043011

Whats the odds now that no one will move anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Alonso to Mclaren is believable enough, but this would be a serious shock.
    I just don't see a driver leaving a championship winning team especially one with an advantage that Merc has this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Alonso to Mclaren is believable enough, but this would be a serious shock.
    I just don't see a driver leaving a championship winning team especially one with an advantage that Merc has this year.

Toto Wolf has said he doesn't want to keep both if there is tension between them and they don't work as a team which is clearly the case.

Unless they are friends by the end of the year one will leave, Nico has a long contract now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Gillespy

He said that would be the outcome in the event of Spa becoming a regular occurrence. They don't need to be best buddies, they just need to not crash into each other.

Hamilton has a year left. If he leaves it will be because they won't give him the contract he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

GarIT wrote: »
    Toto Wolf has said he doesn't want to keep both if there is tension between them and they don't work as a team which is clearly the case.

Unless they are friends by the end of the year one will leave, Nico has a long contract now.
    Contracts can be bought out if they really want to. Hamilton is winning the championship despite all the car failures and non finishes he's had and even when things are going bad for him he typically finishes second. It would be foolish for any team to let him go over some bad blood between team mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I wonder does anybody like Ron Dennis :pac:

Ron Dennis.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Contracts can be bought out if they really want to. Hamilton is winning the championship despite all the car failures and non finishes he's had and even when things are going bad for him he typically finishes second. It would be foolish for any team to let him go over some bad blood between team mates.

Agreed. I cant see Hamilton going anywhere. Though I think the dominance of Merc wil be short lived. While they'll remain competitive no doubt, I think Renault will pull ground back on them next year resulting in Red Bull being much closer to Merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,963 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If Lewis wins the title it will be two titles with two teams. Maybe he should challenge himself and move to Ferrari and go for three crowns with 3 teams, really proving that he is the best overall driver. I don't believe that any F1 driver has done this.

walshb wrote: »
    If Lewis wins the title it will be two titles with two teams. Maybe he should challenge himself and move to Ferrari and go for three crowns with 3 teams, really proving that he is the best overall driver. I don't believe that any F1 driver has done this.

Ferrari seem a long way off being title contenders, it'd be insanity to willingly get out of that Merc & into a Ferrari imo.

I think Juan Manuel Fangio is the only one! His titles (and constructor) are:

1951 (Alfa RomÈo)
    1954 (Mercedes/Maserati)
    1955 (Mercedes)
    1956 (Lancia/Ferrari)
    1957 (Maserati)

I had to dig out an old F1 yearbook to find that.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,963 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ferrari seem a long way off being title contenders, it'd be insanity to willingly get out of that Merc & into a Ferrari imo.

I wouldn't say they're too far off, and with some new development surely the car can be competitive? Anyway, that is the challenge of it. Being the best and bringing the best out of the car to be right up there near the top. lot can happen with development and improvement between now and March 2015. I'd love a shuffle process with the top teams and drivers, even shuffling between races. Make the whole season a true test of the best.

I wouldn't say they're too far off, and with some new development surely the car can be competitive? Anyway, that is the challenge of it. Being the best and bringing the best out of the car to be right up there near the top. lot can happen with development and improvement between now and March 2015. I#d love a shuffle process with the top teams and drivers, even shuffling between races. Make the whole season a true test of the best.

True enough. Though there are going to be a lot of changes behind the scenes at Ferrari. Monty gone, relatively new team boss (Mattiaci) plus all the new technical staff drafted in after the disaster that was this season. Plus whatever changes to the driver lineup that occur depending on the Alonso situation. Lots of uncertainty there.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    I'd say Bernie has a picture of Ron in his wallet.

I'd say maybe Alonso does too. For different reasons though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I wouldn't say they're too far off, and with some new development surely the car can be competitive? Anyway, that is the challenge of it. Being the best and bringing the best out of the car to be right up there near the top. lot can happen with development and improvement between now and March 2015. I'd love a shuffle process with the top teams and drivers, even shuffling between races. Make the whole season a true test of the best.

Sure, but, in modern F1 - it's a three to four season job to get a title-winning package together.

2015 - Stabilise the team structure while hoping not to slip backwards.
    2016 - Challenge for the odd win and aim to have a car on the podium most/all races at the very least.
    2017 - Aim for the title but know it will require everything to go your way.
    2018 - Win title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Can the other engine manufacturers change their engines from next year so they have the same kind of turbe system as mercedes?

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116008/engine-unfreeze-is-a-can-of-worms

They seem to be in discussions to relax the restrictions on working on the engines anyway. Mercedes seem to be against the idea now, with Renault being cagey about the potential benefits for them.

_rebelkid wrote: »

An interesting point there at the end of that article. If 4k feeds become a reality, it will mean extra costs to the broadcasters who will inevitably pass that on to the fans.

The powers that be in F1 really need to be making access to the sport less expensive, not more, for this to catch on imo. What with races already half gone from free-to-air and actual race tickets astronomically high, I think the viewership will continue to decline.

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116008/engine-unfreeze-is-a-can-of-worms

They seem to be in discussions to relax the restrictions on working on the engines anyway. Mercedes seem to be against the idea now, with Renault being cagey about the potential benefits for them.
    I'm sure reno and ferrari have concepts of a more mercedes like turbo system, maybe even testing concepts. I think a constructors and drivers championship is enough reward for their better engine design. Next year the teams should be allowed to match that engine so there isn't still a 2 second gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

It wouldn't prove he was the best, it'd prove he was one of the luckiest. Whether or not he is also the best is irrelevant to that discussion.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm sure reno and ferrari have concepts of a more mercedes like turbo system, maybe even testing concepts. I think a constructors and drivers championship is enough reward for their better engine design. Next year the teams should be allowed to match that engine so there isn't still a 2 second gap.

Can't disagree with any of what you say there. One thing that can be said for the old V8s (outside of the noise debate) is that at least they were all reasonably well matched.

• Advertisement

It's hilarious that they're talking about 4k feeds when they dragged their heels for so long on HD. Leave the 4k to others, awful waste of money.

Advertisement