Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best game of the last gen.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dark Souls is probably the best single game, but i'd put the Mass Effect trilogy as the games that i've enjoyed the most this gen. I know it's probably cheating picking the series, but it just stands out above everything else. As a total sci-fi nerd, i'm not sure it'll ever be topped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Grayditch wrote: »
    It's definitely my favourite shooter of the last gen. The more you put into that game, the more you got out of it. Some of the battles were incredibly epic.

Were you in the Boardies MAG gaming night?

Ed

PSN ID : thorn19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Rayman Legends would deserve a mention along with Origins. Yes, there's a multitude of reasoning behind it, but Legends deserves special praise for giving essentially new content every day for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I think the best game is pretty subjective, however for me Elder Scrolls Oblivion was for me the best game. The scope of the world, the sides quests etc made it special. Oblivion was my first of the Bethesda open world games I played and while I have played FO3, FONV and skyrim since, I knew what to expect with those games.

Honourable mentions: Borderlands, Demon/Dark souls, RDR, Batman series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kirby wrote: »
    Which is fine. But when people start acting smarmy and claiming that "It's obvious and not even open to debate" they deserve a good talking to. :)

Who said that?
    I don't recall anyone forcing their opinion on anyone else.

The Last of Us is brilliant, I just wish it had the gameplay to match the story and the visuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Magill wrote: »
    yeah.... but the OP asked what we, boards users, consider the best game of this generation.. not your sister or the typical call of duty loving casual. I was being sarcastic with my last reply because i thought it was obvious that its entirely subjective lol.

Can you be sure that no casual gamers read this thread? :)

The fact is theirs a lot of people big into games who haven't played either Souls games yet or have played and given up because they don't have the time that it would take to get into it and it's a fair criticism for some people to have, if any review of the game were to not mention the difficulty then it would be a bad review. I'll eventually get round to playing both but the difficulty is the only reason I haven't played either yet.

My best game would be Uncharted 2

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Deus Ex HR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Forgot to add a bunch of games so I redo my best of last gen

Uncharted series
    Fallout 3 and new vegas
    Skyrim and oblivion
    Mario galaxy series
    Tokyo jungle
    Journey
    Valkyria chronicles
    Yakuza 3,4 and dead souls
    Demons souls and dark souls
    Batman arkham series
    Xcom enemy unknown
    Bioshock
    The last of us
    Assassin creed 2 and brotherhood
    Xenoblade

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

MW2 is the best last gen game. Fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 DoubleTime

Doublelime wrote: »
    MW2 is the best last gen game. Fact.

I thought my account was deleted so I made a new one... Damn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Which is fine. But when people start acting smarmy and claiming that "It's obvious and not even open to debate" they deserve a good talking to. :)
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Who said that?
    I don't recall anyone forcing their opinion on anyone else.

Nobody forced their opinion on anybody but comments such as the ones below are quite irritating, even if said in jest.
    Can a mod close the thread and add "Dark Souls is the" to the title and we're all done here.
    the amount of people not saying dark souls is hilarious

I've removed the names of the posters who quoted it because I'm not singling anyone out or trying to start an argument. If they think their game is the best, that's fine and what the thread is about. But comments like that come off as very obnoxious and is the reason I was compelled to point out their fanboyishness with some deep-seated flaws in their game of choice that they were choosing to ignore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm pretty sure they were meant in jest and the humour just went completely over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they were meant in jest and the humour just went completely over your head.

How exactly did it go over my head? I recognised it as a joke. Which is why in my post I said "even in jest". I "got it". It just wasn't funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

eddhorse wrote: »
    Were you in the Boardies MAG gaming night?

Ed

PSN ID : thorn19

I have ya on the list already man, PSN: Snorkledork.

They were some great MAG games!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

How exactly did it go over my head? I recognised it as a joke. Which is why in my post I said "even in jest". I "got it". It just wasn't funny.

Tough crowd, tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

I have a terrible confession to make, there are a lot of games on this thread that I still have to play.

Like Borderlands, Dark/Demon Souls, The Last of Us, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Journey.

Is it too late to add some of these to my christmas list? :)

From the games I have played:
    Red Dead Redemption
    TES: Oblivion and Skyrim
    Fallout 3 & NV
    Uncharted (2 was the best imo)
    COD: modern Warfare 2

My number 1 would have to be Metal Gear Solid 4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Gotta be Mario Galaxy for me. It is there or thereabouts the best Mario game of all time which says it all really.

Other contenders for me that I've played and loved:

Fifa 09 (the best of the Fifas at the time, it was a revelation and a real turning point in swaying people to Fifa)
    Mirror's Edge (original game, still looks good, great soundtrack, hopefully EA don't meddle with the sequel too much)

Shadows of the Damned (not the most original game but it played very well and was entertaining, didn't seem too indulgent like other Suda51 games either)
    Blur (Mario Kart on the 360 :), very good online, check out the game's ad if you haven't seen it)

Red Dead Redemption (the best GTA on the generation, crossing into Mexico for the first time on horseback at sunset was a special gaming moment)
    Trials HD (fantastic XBLA game, tight mechanics, brilliant Net code for the leaderboards and replays, it just inspired you to beat your friend's scores and times, sequel is good too)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Deus Ex HR.

Picked it up for about 10 euro a year after release, couldn't believe how much I enjoyed that game I was gutted when it ended! Definitely one of my most favourite games of this generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 TheMollusc

Maybe not the absolute best but definitely one of the best games for me is Hotline Miami.

When it finally came out on ps3 I was consumed by the game. One of the most addictive I have ever played.

Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption, Deus Ex, Portal 1 and 2, Mirror's Edge, Dark Souls, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Uncharted 2, Bioshock and Infinite, Far Cry: Blood Dragon, Journey, Valkyria Chronicles, The Last of Us, and Assassin's Creed II would all be part of my favourites as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

for me last of us and really enjoyed gta v
    but for sheer hours of play gotta be red dead, was gutted to finish it, just cant wait to see whats ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

TheMollusc wrote: »
    Maybe not the absolute best but definitely one of the best games for me is Hotline Miami.

I thought it was great as well, probably doesn't qualify here as it's sort of a minigame but still, horribly addictive stuff and great soundtrack as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I cant believe I forgot to mention this but pac man championship dx is Most def my fav downloadable titles I played. Its so perfect

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I thought it was great as well, probably doesn't qualify here as it's sort of a minigame but still, horribly addictive stuff and great soundtrack as well!

I wouldn't consider it a mini game at all.
    It's got plenty of challenge and looks and sounds perfect.
    The sequel is on the way too.
    Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jaysus, want to play Dark Souls now after reading this thread. I have Demon's'ss's's Souls on PS+ and beat the first couple of levels in each world, only by picking that class with the magic fire shot at the start. I much prefer using swords & shields but the fire shot is much easier to use. Anyway, I'd only get an hour and a half a night to play it and after a few days, I would find myself starting at the same point every night not making any progress, just like the good ol' days of gaming :).

Does Dark Souls have a more progressive system with the bonfires?

My best game last gen would be between:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Mass Effect 2
    Assassin's Creed 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Never played Demon Souls so can't really compare but there's no levels as such in Dark Souls, its one continuous open world so you can choose where you want to go. You'll be making slow progress at first but once you start getting good at combat and getting better gear you can usually make pretty good progress

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

id reccomend not picking pyromancer in dark souls though, i never played it but i watched a "noob" lets play dark souls and he just had such an easy time of it cos he was just flinging fire at things. takes the fun out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

ALL F D COD GAMES.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Jaysus, want to play Dark Souls now after reading this thread. I have Demon's'ss's's Souls on PS+ and beat the first couple of levels in each world, only by picking that class with the magic fire shot at the start. I much prefer using swords & shields but the fire shot is much easier to use. Anyway, I'd only get an hour and a half a night to play it and after a few days, I would find myself starting at the same point every night not making any progress, just like the good ol' days of gaming :).

Does Dark Souls have a more progressive system with the bonfires?

My best game last gen would be between:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Mass Effect 2
    Assassin's Creed 2

I know, me too :D. I was actually looking around for it after this thread. Might pick it up this weekend.

Also looked for Dishonored and Unchartered 2, neither of which Ive played. Hope Im in for a treat?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yes you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I don't think I could pick just one. I can't quantify how lets say Dark Souls is better than Journey or Uncharted 2 is better than Fallout 3.

Hopefully with this years Games Awards this very question might be split into different categories... and on that note, anyone know when we start voting?

Oh... now that I think of it.. the answer is Shadow of the Colossus/Ico HD collection :D

Advertisement