Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best game of the last gen.

Options
  • 20-12-2013 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this thread has already been done but here goes anyway. Now that the Xbox One and PS4 have taken over as the current gen what do people consider to be the best game of the last (Xbox 360/PS3/Wii) console generation?

Personally I'd go for Red Dead Redemption, nothing groundbreaking in it but the combination of the gameplay, aesthetics and story just worked for me.

What do ye consider to be the best?
    Is it even possible to say one game in particular is the best?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Not sure if this thread has already been done but here goes anyway. Now that the Xbox One and PS4 have taken over as the current gen what do people consider to be the best game of the last (Xbox 360/PS3/Wii) console generation?

Personally I'd go for Red Dead Redemption, nothing groundbreaking in it but the combination of the gameplay, aesthetics and story just worked for me.

What do ye consider to be the best?
    Is it even possible to say one game in particular is the best?

Subjective, but seeing as you asked for me Dark Souls, Borderlands 2, Rock Band 2 and Fallout 3

• Registered Users Posts: 33,296 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah Red Dead Redemption would probably get my vote too, closely followed by Borderlands 2 and Assassin's Creed 2.

This gen produced so many great games though. For all the complaints of cookie-cutter games, annual sequels barely improving, microtransactions etc, there have been some real gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Dark Souls

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Excluding PC games, I'd have to hands down give it to Journey, probably the best game I've ever played

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I'll go with Persona 4, presume it counts seeing as it was released almost 3 years after the first PS3/360/Wii games :) If not then I think I'd have to say Journey too...though Hotline Miami and Mario Galaxy 1/2 would challenge it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Id have to say Dark Souls for me, followed by Borderlands 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dark Souls.Nothing else even comes close other than maybe Journey. Not only is it far and away better than anything else this generation but it and Demon's Souls are the two most important games this generation. You can see the asynchronous multiplayer it introduced creeping into nearly every big game this gen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

For me, Fallout 3 and the Mass Effect trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I was extremely late to the party but honestly I'd lean towards Dark Souls as well, have been playing it for over 2 months solid and still haven't seen tons of things yet. It's been a long, long time since I became this invested in a game. The sequel is top of the list of most anticipated games of 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Borderlands 2? Really? I skipped over that when it was released for some reason. I must give it a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Dark Souls or Super Mario Galaxy 2 would get my vote. Both stunning games.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Dark Souls or Super Mario Galaxy 2 would get my vote. Both stunning games.

SMG2 is a perfect example of how to take an already great game, improve it in nearly every way and make an almost perfect one. It's one of those games that's an absolute joy to play I must dig out the Wii over Christmas and give it a bash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Gotta be Fallout 3 for me - cannot wait to see Fallout 4

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

Borderlands 2 for me.
    Don't think I'll tire of it yet. At least until Borderlands 3 comes out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

The gen ain't over yet!

Dark Souls II and Persona 5 out next year.

Personally I think The Last of Us probably was my highlight. I thought it was outstanding.

danthefan wrote: »
    The gen ain't over yet!

Dark Souls II and Persona 5 out next year.

Personally I think The Last of Us probably was my highlight. I thought it was outstanding.

As a example of how good games can be story and acting wise TLOU is way up there, the gameplay was almost secondary to the story, it's one of those games you could watch someone else play and become enthralled by given it's movie like tendencies. The Walking Dead would be up there too.

krudler wrote: »
    As a example of how good games can be story and acting wise TLOU is way up there, the gameplay was almost secondary to the story, it's one of those games you could watch someone else play and become enthralled by given it's movie like tendencies. The Walking Dead would be up there too.

I enjoyed the gameplay, but tbh I know what you're saying which is why I made sure to say it was my personal favourite rather than just branding it the game of the generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Last of Us
    One I played the most MW2

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dark Souls and Fallout 3.

I'd also like to give an honorable mention to the 3DS but not sure if it qualifies :D

danthefan wrote: »
    I enjoyed the gameplay, but tbh I know what you're saying which is why I made sure to say it was my personal favourite rather than just branding it the game of the generation.

Oh me too, I enjoyed nearly every minute of it aside from a few sections which were a bit of a chore. I never felt like there was much at risk though if you died you just went back to a close enough checkpoint, might play it again on a harder difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the amount of people not saying dark souls is hilarious

They need some jolly co-operation asap

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I played Dark souls. It's excellent. I put untold hours into it. I'd recommend it. I'll definitely buy Dark Souls II.

But you simply can't call it the best game of the last gen. There is just too much wrong with it. Putting aside minor gripes like the wooden animation, clipping issues and the idiotic AI running off cliffs....which are issues but aren't as important as others issues which really plague the game.

There is a difference between making a game difficult and making it obtuse. Challenge is fine, but a person shouldn't have to go to online guides and forums to figure out the games mechanics. Conveyance.

What is humanity? How do I get it and what does it do? What is the difference between being hallowed and human? How do I kindle a bonfire and what does it do? How do I play with my friend? How do I use magic? What's the difference between atonement and intelligence? How does scaling work? and so on. These are questions that nearly every new player asks and the game does virtually nothing to teach you. As veterans, these questions seem idiotic and obvious but we were all asking the same thing at release.

There were server issues for months after release. Summoning worked fine sometimes and not at all other times. The lagfest backstab city that was pvp. It's online infrastructure was a confusing, convoluted mess......they've admitted that the game had problems with players being confused and vowed to make the sequel make more sense to the player.

It was a good game overall, no doubt. But it wouldn't surprise me if the sequel is better in nearly every single way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Spent 2 hours trying to finish the tutorial and never went back to it.

Anyone wrote: »
    Spent 2 hours trying to finish the tutorial and never went back to it.

What tutorial?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Escaping the asylum at the beginning of the game I would assume he means.

Kirby wrote: »
    I played Dark souls. It's excellent. I put untold hours into it. I'd recommend it. I'll definitely buy Dark Souls II.

But you simply can't call it the best game of the last gen. There is just too much wrong with it. Putting aside minor gripes like the wooden animation, clipping issues and the idiotic AI running off cliffs....which are issues but aren't as important as others issues which really plague the game.

There is a difference between making a game difficult and making it obtuse. Challenge is fine, but a person shouldn't have to go to online guides and forums to figure out the games mechanics. Conveyance.

What is humanity? How do I get it and what does it do? What is the difference between being hallowed and human? How do I kindle a bonfire and what does it do? How do I play with my friend? How do I use magic? What's the difference between atonement and intelligence? How does scaling work? and so on. These are questions that nearly every new player asks and the game does virtually nothing to teach you. As veterans, these questions seem idiotic and obvious but we were all asking the same thing at release.

There were server issues for months after release. Summoning worked fine sometimes and not at all other times. The lagfest backstab city that was pvp. It's online infrastructure was a confusing, convoluted mess......they've admitted that the game had problems with players being confused and vowed to make the sequel make more sense to the player.

It was a good game overall, no doubt. But it wouldn't surprise me if the sequel is better in nearly every single way.

All very true in fairness, you shouldn't have to consult a wiki within 5 mins of starting a game to see what the basic mechanics do. Now the confusion and feeling of isolation is all part of it but I think they could make some things a bit clearer at the beginning.
    That dude sitting beside the bonfire basically explains everything if you keep talking to him. but the more you invest in the game the more rewarding it becomes, it never spoonfeeds you and the lore and story are all there to be discovered through the game instead of endless cutscenes about the other character's motivations.
    If they make that aspect more accessible in DS2 then all well and good instead of vague hints and dialogue as to how to use magic or what to do past the intitial stages. It does feel a bit aimless at times when you're not sure why you're doing what you're doing without watching lore videos.

But as far as being engaging and rewarding once you get the basics down it's in a league of it's own. The further you get the more you want to be challenged, it's gas how early areas which seemed so utterly daunting on first playthrough are now a minor hassle you can easily run through without even engaging an enemy if you want. I'm on a new build and in less than 8hrs play have done twice as much as I did at 30+ hours equivalent on my first playthrough .

The thing I hope they fix the most int he sequel is the framerate, good jesus it's horrendous at times on console in some area, Blightown in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

The Last Of Us.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Dark Souls. It hasn't left my ps3 for more than a month since release. I played a lot of Demon's Souls so I was familiar with the mechanics going in but I can see where the problem is. I think the lack of instruction in game led to forming the great online community between the wikis, reddit, here etc. and it sure beats all the "press X to jump" tutorials these days.

• Advertisement

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    Dark Souls. It hasn't left my ps3 for more than a month since release. I played a lot of Demon's Souls so I was familiar with the mechanics going in but I can see where the problem is. I think the lack of instruction in game led to forming the great online community between the wikis, reddit, here etc. and it sure beats all the "press X to jump" tutorials these days.

"Now let's calibrate your vision, look around the room and zzzzzzzz"

just let me shoot things in the face!

Advertisement