Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best game of the last gen.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This argument is why I got a bad vibe from all the complaints that arose when the designer said the second game would be more 'accessible' (he actually apologised for it). The mystery and challenge are undoubtedly key parts of the appeal, but I can easily see them successfully making certain mechanics and systems more transparent and inviting without negatively impacting the overall experience. It's amazing to see a game with the intelligence and decency to allow the player to investigate and discover the depths themselves, but carefully considered guidance is always welcome as long as it doesn't condescend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Can a mod close the thread and add "Dark Souls is the" to the title and we're all done here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Dark Souls and Demon Souls I consider two of the greatest games of all time , as pointed out by others nothing comes remotely close.

Others I would like to include are Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 , Valkyria Chronicles , Fallout 3 , Skyrim, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 , Batman Arkham City and Asylum Call Of Duty 4 , Yakuza 3 and 4 and xenoblade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I'm going to have to break the trend here.
    Uncharted 2. Superb set pieces, great humour with excellent characters, and awesome set pieces.
    And Dark Souls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Kirby wrote: »
    Escaping the asylum at the beginning of the game I would assume he means.

Yeah, the big demon at the end, I suck using a controller at the best of times, but that was a step too far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Cod 4 or Bioshock. Possibly Mario Galaxy. All released in the same year I believe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kirby wrote: »
    What is humanity? How do I get it and what does it do? What is the difference between being hallowed and human? How do I kindle a bonfire and what does it do? How do I play with my friend? How do I use magic? What's the difference between atonement and intelligence? How does scaling work? and so on. These are questions that nearly every new player asks and the game does virtually nothing to teach you. As veterans, these questions seem idiotic and obvious but we were all asking the same thing at release.

Go into the menu. Press select. Read the descriptions. It's all there.

Part of what made the game so damn good was having to figure everything out. The whole community effort to figure out the more obtuse elements of Demon's and Dark souls was amazing (more so for Demon's when absolutely nobody knew what they were getting themselves in for!). The lack of hand holding is what made the experience so good, if you came into it late you might have missed all that.

As for your complaints, they are minor visual issues which don't mean much when the game is good (it was made on quite a low budget and what they achieved visually was astounding. As for the dodgy AI there's a thing called game balance. The AI is perfect. If you make the AI too good then and unpredictable you end up with a game that isn't fun. Learning how the AI works and exploiting it (to fall off cliffs) is part of the fun.

Sure the game has problems but no game is perfect. However for as the game that gave me the most amount of satisfaction and most enjoyment this generation is far ahead of anything else out there. Also as a game to showed me as someone completely jaded with online games that you can still do something interesting with online it has to get a lot of credit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone wrote: »
    Yeah, the big demon at the end, I suck using a controller at the best of times, but that was a step too far.

The first time you meet him you are meant to run past him. When you meet him the second time he is much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm going to have to break the trend here.
    Uncharted 2. Superb set pieces, great humour with excellent characters, and awesome set pieces.
    And Dark Souls

It's the benchmark for blockbuster action games imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The first time you meet him you are meant to run past him. When you meet him the second time he is much easier.

Haha, ok I was bad but not that bad, it was the 2nd time where you actually had to kill him that I couldnt get past.

• Advertisement

Haha, ok I was bad but not that bad, it was the 2nd time where you actually had to kill him that I couldnt get past.

All you have to do it two hand whatever weapon you have, drop down on him and hit him it takes a massive amount of his health, then chop away at his legs and roll when he attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Lock on to him and keep circling around to stay behind him. You'll get loads of hits in before he jumps into the air, then back off and repeat.

By any chance did you neglect to pick up your proper weapon? killing him with a broken sword is a tough ask.

Yep, he should be easy at that stage, you get a drop attack on him that will destroy his health and with new weapons and armour you should make short work of him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Last of Us was incredible but Mario Galaxy has been remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Dark Souls. Easily.

Although, MW2 was by far my most enjoyable multiplayer experience, yes it was mayhem and at times seriously annoying, but my God it was fun!

Dark Souls. Easily.

Although, MW2 was by far my most enjoyable multiplayer experience, yes it was mayhem and at times seriously annoying, but my God it was fun!

It definitely had the "ah just one more game...sh1t its 2am" aspect the later ones didn't. Some of the nights with the other COD players on boards were absolutely hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Games I enjoyed the most: Fallout 3 and Skyrim

Games I played the Most: The Call of Duty series

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Off the top of me head right now

Bioshocks
    Galaxy 1(still have to play 2)
    TLoU
    Uncharted 2
    Pikmin 3
    Wind Waker (I know its a remake but still)
    Doom 3 BFG
    Resy 5 (nothing new but enjoyed it)
    Resy Revelations (3ds count?)
    3D Land

The Last of Us looks at Dark Souls and asks, 'If only I could be so grossly incandescent'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Single Player... Dark Souls again... unless i've completely forgot about something.

Multiplayer... has to be league of legends, not exactly original but what riot have achieved with it is incredible. The only thing that comes close imo is World of warcraft... but is that considered this gen ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Not the best game but the one I enjoyed/replayed the most was Mass Effect 1, would love to give Dark Souls a go but it sounds like a real trial and error but never totally unfair. Just don't have the time to sit down and commit to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Dark Souls or the Walking Dead

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

GTR63 wrote: »
    Not the best game but the one I enjoyed/replayed the most was Mass Effect 1, would love to give Dark Souls a go but it sounds like a real trial and error but never totally unfair. Just don't have the time to sit down and commit to that.

I wouldn't call it trial and error, more patience and observance. A couple of early bits intentionally slap you in the face and say pay attention but other than that there's maybe one boss which could be considered trial and error(or luck).

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Last of Us looks at Dark Souls and asks, 'If only I could be so grossly incandescent'.

I really liked The Last of Us but it's one of those games where you think "that was great" then never play it again. Or at least replay it a year later after you seen the case on the shelf.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Off the top of me head right now

Bioshocks
    Galaxy 1(still have to play 2)
    TLoU
    Uncharted 2
    Pikmin 3
    Wind Waker (I know its a remake but still)
    Doom 3 BFG
    Resy 5 (nothing new but enjoyed it)
    Resy Revelations (3ds count?)
    3D Land

I think the WiiU and 3DS are current gen mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I've never played Dark Souls or know what it is. There I said it!

For me, I sunk a lot of time into Halo: Reach and Battlefield 3's multiplayer.
    I'm not sure about singleplayer there were so many great games.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just one? Fall Out: New Vegas for me. I didn't play it until the GoTY edition was out so most of the bugs had been patched out by then but regardless, it's was the most immersive game world I think I've ever played in.

Mass Effect 2, Skyrim and Halo Reach would be up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Can it be pc games too? We sort of have no gens.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I've never played Dark Souls or know what it is. There I said it!

For me, I sunk a lot of time into Halo: Reach and Battlefield 3's multiplayer.
    I'm not sure about singleplayer there were so many great games.

Time to join the covenant and bask in the glory of the kingdom and praise the sun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Time to join the covenant and bask in the glory of the kingdom and praise the sun

Is it on Xbox?

Advertisement