Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liebherr thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dsgking

its an auful pity they cant close the doors for a week and take back the people interested in working there. you don't this tripe happening on a building site, because if you don't like the rate you just move on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Were still waiting for this elusive 11 point plan?

I don't think you do work in Liebherr!

With his abiilty to

A) lie
    and
    B) doge questions

I do think there is a very strong chance he's a member of SIPTU though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

listrybabe wrote: »
    Ok would you not agree that the 500 not in siptu were pretty naive to let siptus 260 decide their future
    There are not 500 workers who are not in SIPTU working there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

dsgking wrote: »
    its an auful pity they cant close the doors for a week and take back the people interested in working there. you don't this tripe happening on a building site, because if you don't like the rate you just move on

The 160 living in a bubble.

But there bubble is going to be burst pretty soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

With his abiilty to

A) lie
    and
    B) doge questions

I do think there is a very strong chance he's a member of SIPTU though!

I think he is a she....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭listrybabe

WikiHow wrote: »
    There are not 500 workers who are not in SIPTU working there.

Ok 400.

Ok 400.
    For some one who works there not to know the numbers? is 400 your final answer?

Ok 670 work their
    160 vote against

510 left of which 100 voted for talks this leaves 410 that did nothing either way to secure their future which they could so easily have done and all this would be done and dusted now. Which begs the question. Why not ?

Ok 670 work their
    160 vote against

510 left of which 100 voted for talks this leaves 410 that did nothing either way to secure their future which they could so easily have done and all this would be done and dusted now. Which begs the question. Why not ?
    Because they are waiting to review "The 11 point plan"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I think she's trolling;

Anyway only 160 of the near 700 employees voted against the deal. So they will be responsible for the loss of close to a thousand jobs. When you account for subbies and fenit pier, transport company's and steel suppliers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

what is the REAL issue there Listrybabe?
    it can't be just the small money involved

what outlandish changes in work practises is causing this?

I think she's trolling;

Anyway only 160 of the near 700 employees voted against the deal. So they will be responsible for the loss of close to a thousand jobs. When you account for subbies and fenit pier, transport company's and steel suppliers!
    You are running into thousands of job losses then.

Because they are waiting to review "The 11 point plan"

That's one stupid answer suprise suprise. Good night. Some of us have to get up for work in morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

seems to me if the 160 siptu members want any support from the public, or indeed the people indirectly employed around the plant they would want to start talking

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

She dosnt work there. A quick check of her post history will confirm this. Sh1tstirrer from what i can see

ciaeim wrote: »
    So why didn't the rest of the employees do something about it when it would have been so easy to do so
    What power do non union people have maybe?

All the power that was needed all they had to do was use their heads
    How do you mean use their head?

They should have joined the union which they would have had every right to do and voted to accept the changes that liebherr wanted
    ok im with you now, is it that alot of them are temporarys and cannot join the union?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

No some of the contract workers voted yesterday. Surprised no one picked up on this. The 160 rightly or wrongly voted for what they believed in. Whilst 400 odd sat on their holes and watched them do it. Anyway good night

Could they have voted without joining the union ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

marienbad wrote: »
    Could they have voted without joining the union ?

I know in the old multinational I worked in, if you weren't in the union you didn't get a say on company-employee negotiations.

• Advertisement

Absolutely not. But it's simple procedure to join and also to leave after couple of weeks at 4.70 per week

Hardly democratic is it ?

If it meant to do the right thing to save the place it cant be that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

It is to the unions though. Makes them look like they're the big boys.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

crockholm wrote: »
    I worked with a Company from 2007-2009 where I was told I would have to sign up to be a member of SIPTU.
    Back in the late 80's, I worked for nine months at Irish Steel where SIPTU were the main union. I've honestly no idea how the management put up, on a daily basis, with the level of sh*t-stirring and work-avoidance that union-members often got up to and which everybody knew about. Some years later, it was sad, but no surprise, to see that the plant was to close with media reporting that "attempts to reduce costs and increase production recently did not, according to the company, seem to have support from trade union officials.".

http://www.rte.ie/news/2001/0615/16048-ispat/

The closure cost around 400 jobs directly, and I suppose perhaps the same in local supply firms. While Irish Steel was small on the international scale, it was still one of the only truly heavy industrial plants in the country and a truly great place to work, unions aside of course.

I'd hate to see SIPTU, directly or indirectly, cause Leibherr to close up and pack their bags, but in all fairness, they've been implicated in the past in similar industrial disasters. My thoughts are with the people who voted to continue working and the rest of the team at Leibherr, and the people in Killarney who rely on Leibherr; and all their families.

If it meant to do the right thing to save the place it cant be that bad.

So it is paternalistic and undemocratic ?

So it is paternalistic and undemocratic ?
    It may be neither, as mentioned earlier a huge number never voted, if they just joined to vote to save their job what bad is in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Excuse my ignorance but when people say that "Killarney would be in trouble" in the event of a plant closure what do they mean exactly? I would have thought Killarney's main source of income is tourism which would presumably be unaffected.

Hopefully it all gets sorted asap with no job losses.

It may be neither, as mentioned earlier a huge number never voted, if they just joined to vote to save their job what bad is in that?

Why should you have to join a union to have a vote ?

Why should you have to join a union to have a vote ?
    It was a SIPTU vote so i imagine one would have to be a member to vote, i may be wrong.

• Advertisement

It was a SIPTU vote so i imagine one would have to be a member to vote, i may be wrong.

Yes but why should that vote overrule the wishes of the majority non union members ?

Advertisement