Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Standalone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

There will be planning. I don't know how many programmers are here but 1 man thinking is worth 2 men coding. Trust me on that.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Yes I am not a game developer. I only code for myself but can understand the thinking of 1 man thinking is worth 2 coding as it would be pretty dumb to code away without a plan of what to do our which way to code it effectively.
    The main problem I have is they are spending too much time adding crap into the game rather than fixing the issues first (The term polishing a turd seems apt here), such as zucchini's and crossbow's.
    Why not take this time to fix the glaringly obvious bugs with the game and get a solid base for the game first before building on it???
    This would be a much better use of their time in my opinion than adding features like this.
    Also the way they modified the zombies was just lazy coding. Instead of giving them intelligent AI or at least working away on this for a future release, they went and just made them faster and spawn around you if you make any noise, ruining any realism that was in the game.
    Its bloody retarded you fire one bullet of a silenced gun, kill a zombie and for as long as you stand in that area (500 meters or so)zombies will keep spawning in, in front of you and running directly to where you are.
    They didn't even make any attempt to hide the zombies spawning, you actually see them appear from no where or on occasion one will spawn the other side of a building and will run through it to attack you. At this stage its probably a good thing they didn't fix the zombies climbing stairs as its one way you can stand still for a minute when the auto spawn zombies happens.
    This was just a lazy way of making the zombies a bigger part of the game.
    Why change it if you cant do it properly?
    Also reducing melee damage so now your forced to run from zombies halfway across the map instead of actually being able to attempt to kill one/two without being hit unless you want to shoot them and cause the zombies spawning in every few seconds.
    I pre ordered, of, arma (well bought day one), arma 2 and arma 3 so I know about their other games yes.
    The only upside of the patches they've done is its pretty hard to see how they are going to be able to **** it up any more so it could only get better. About the only good thing that has been released since you could first buy the game was disabling mouse acceleration which made the aiming system horrible. (I'm sure there where more since then but I've just blanked from my mind).
    I would have believed the "it will take far longer to lay the groundwork before visible progress can be made." only for the features like weapons and fruit etc they've been adding in showing they have the time for other work.
    WarZ is a reskin of an existing game.

DayZ required a complete rewrite of the client and server netcode, and that's just to start.
    DayZ is a far more ambitious game than WarZ, it will take far longer to lay the groundwork before visible progress can be made.

The ragging on the DayZ team really gets to me as it strikes very close to home for me. I work making educational games and such. And near the start of a project, the project managers will be freaking out because of lack of visible progress. And no matter what we tell them about how much we are getting done, it doesn't matter because they can't see it. So I have to take time off critical backend work to go and whip up some UI interaction with half-baked specs and programmer art. Just so they can see something is different than the last build.

This is the same company that gave you ArmA 2 and 3. Look at the improvements that they made between those 2 games. They are dedicated and capable.
    None of you have any idea about what is or is not getting done. And even if no code is getting written, they are not going to be idle. There will be planning. I don't know how many programmers are here but 1 man thinking is worth 2 men coding. Trust me on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

deceit wrote: »
    Yes I am not a game developer. I only code for myself but can understand the thinking of 1 man thinking is worth 2 coding as it would be pretty dumb to code away without a plan of what to do our which way to code it effectively.
    The main problem I have is they are spending too much time adding crap into the game rather than fixing the issues first (The term polishing a turd seems apt here), such as zucchini's and crossbow's.
    Why not take this time to fix the glaringly obvious bugs with the game and get a solid base for the game first before building on it???
    This would be a much better use of their time in my opinion than adding features like this.

Different teams do different things. You think the art team should just sit around and wait for other stuff to be done rather than continue working on their part of the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Different teams do different things. You think the art team should just sit around and wait for other stuff to be done rather than continue working on their part of the game?
    I know the art team would be involved in the creation of these but their would be coding done for these objects also and the time taken to implement them into the game by the developers would have been better used to fix other parts while holding onto all objects until the game was of a high enough standard that you could start implementing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Game dev is going to plan. Alpha was always going to take time (full year 2014 at least) and so Im not sure what the issue is here? The last update on Experimental is showing how much stuff BI can push in in just a few weeks too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I will post these links again. Deceit I suggest you read them, they address your "concerns" over the game.

First the DayZ Dev Blog, which details why there has been delays on certain features & what they are currently working on:

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

Second, a detailed explanation of what goes into developing a game:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/195924-the-current-state-of-development-dayz-understanding-the-development-process/#entry1973375

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

deceit wrote: »
    I know the art team would be involved in the creation of these but their would be coding done for these objects also and the time taken to implement them into the game by the developers would have been better used to fix other parts while holding onto all objects until the game was of a high enough standard that you could start implementing them.

The weapons a scripted rather than coded. The coders are probably doing exactly what you said, or working on fixing deeper problems with then engine that will fix a whole swarth of issues at once.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

To me, DayZ has been a textbook example of an Alpha.

It's a little too raw for me to enjoy at the moment, but I'm quite happy to wait until it is closer to completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

lads how do I know what server to pick or is it just a lucky dip?

I just randomly joined one there but got thrown off a few minutes in to it

Rossin wrote: »
    lads how do I know what server to pick or is it just a lucky dip?

I just randomly joined one there but got thrown off a few minutes in to it

Happens a lot on Clan servers which kick to be alone! Use the generic Gameservers or Multiplay UK, good ping and all sorts, pop or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭PMC83

Whats the story with hacked weapons? I randomly found an m4 with infinite ammo in a police station. Do certain servers just allow them? I would agree that they ruin the game, but since I found this one by chance....:rolleyes:

PMC83 wrote: »
    Whats the story with hacked weapons? I randomly found an m4 with infinite ammo in a police station. Do certain servers just allow them? I would agree that they ruin the game, but since I found this one by chance....:rolleyes:

You should toss the ammo out of it somewhere where it cannot be found otherwise you are contributing to the plague that are hackers in this game, imo anyway. As for server allowing it, not really! Its just that this hack has gained popularity amongst douchebags hackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭PMC83

Well I didnt have it for too long! Tried to gun down to road side bandits, one of them got me! On the plus side I downed his friend, and found my way back to his body before anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

PMC83 wrote: »
    Well I didnt have it for too long! Tried to gun down to road side bandits, one of them got me! On the plus side I downed his friend, and found my way back to his body before anyone else.

Thats cos his mate was looting your body found your hacked weapon, though it was Christmas and logged.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Scrublord420

Hey guys im new to this thread so i dont know if anything has already been said about my further questions so yeah ehh hi

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Bought Dayz SA the other day. A bit taken aback by just how 'alpha' it is. Wish I'd kept my money in my pocket.

Bought Dayz SA the other day. A bit taken aback by just how 'alpha' it is. Wish I'd kept my money in my pocket.

Naw dawg, it's only gonna get more expensive, buy now and play later.

It better get better :) I've gone back to the mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I've bought a load of hiking gear and been out for a night allready. It colder but you get a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

not for a long long time though. even if the price goes up at all

• Advertisement

If you have a good pc it runs great just the alpha is a bit glitchy but what do you expect from any other alpha

miece16 wrote: »
    not for a long long time though. even if the price goes up at all

Yup exactly the pice may go up to 50-60 on release as for it is coming out on playstation aswell

it is coming out on playstation aswell

Sauce?

Also the DayZ team have made so many changes to the Real Virtuality engine that they are going to rename their branch to Infusion.

Latest AMA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Sauce?

Also the DayZ team have made so many changes to the Real Virtuality engine that they are going to rename their branch to Infusion.

Latest AMA

He did mention a console port a ways back. MInd you that was back when he said it would take a year from initial announcment.

If you have a good pc it runs great just the alpha is a bit glitchy but what do you expect from any other alpha

I have a reasonable mid range that runs pretty much everything out there on high. Having FPS fall into the teens in a town on a game that's not overly pretty is a bit ****. Having said that I accept it's alpha. I think my disappointment stems from it going from an accomplished mod to this state. I figured a lot of the groundwork would have already been covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Its not just because its in alpha, its because its based off the arma 2 engine. People with monster PCs only getting 30 to 40 fps isn't uncommon. Its the same with Arma 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

FPS drops always occur in towns in the mod aswell,nothing new there really. Standalone runs well for me,just the lack of content bores me at the moment. Bought early to get the cheaper price and im happy to wait till its further along to play it

Arma 3 engine runs a lot better,no where near as many drops and when it does it still feels smoother than 2 imo.

Breaking point on Arma 3 is really good as well,frame rate usually stays above 45 even in towns for me on the high preset which is pretty impressive imo considering how good it looks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

havnt played this in about 3 months, has there been any major additions or optimisations or anything like that since i last played?

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    havnt played this in about 3 months, has there been any major additions or optimisations or anything like that since i last played?

Give it another week and a lot of stuff should be pushed to Stable!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Played this a little bit the other day, finally got fully kitted out at the NW airfield, a lovely M4, loads of ammo, loads of food, was set for the long haul. Was heading back towards Stary when I practically ran right into another guy heading towards the airfield. Not sure who raised their guys first, but I have to admit, I fired first, three into the chest.

He dropped to the ground, and I followed up with another couple of shots just to make sure. That was my first ever kill, and while I didn't really give him a chance, I was quite proud.

Guy was fully loaded as well, thought I could get some more food off him. Right as I was looting his body, I started taking damage, from what appeared to be an invisible player. Incredibly frustrating that I could spend ages getting to the point where I am self sufficient, and some invisible dude comes along and punches me to death.

Advertisement