Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Standalone

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Resonator75

Timmyctc wrote: »
    If I was a ruthless billionaire tycoon I'd make everyone who makes posts like this get the alpha warning tattoo'd on their face.

Games an Alpha, there are going to be periods where they add loads of new stuff and there are going to be periods where it stagnates.

Different programmers work on different parts of the game. Considering the clothing has been largely implemented its easy to simply add a new object of that type for example. Wheras things like pathfinding for zombies or collision detection on a larger scale take more time and different skill sets.

I dont buy it, seems stalled in Aplha with bugger all happening beyond frivolous additions for a long long time.

I know what Alpha means all to well... I mean how much cash has Dayz generated between arma 2 and SA sales ? still same game it was when SA was released.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm kind of glad i still haven't bought it. Seems like they are taking an absolute age to get it updated, and it's still lagging way behind the mod (no vehicles is a killer imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

4Dlolz wrote: »
    As far as I can see, the whole DayZ concept as a standalone never really got the focus (resource wise) that it deserved right from the off.

The open world zombie concept had (and still has) so much potential but I am now more than ever convinced that Dean Hall/his crew and the DayZ name are not the people nor the brand to bring it forward.

For a game like this to work or rather, for the game to work to the standard and expectations we've laid out, it needs serious financial muscle. That can either come about my a publisher pumping millions into the project or alternatively, Rocket should have set up a Kickstarter campaign. There was no reason why he couldn't have done the latter. DayZ was huge for quite a while on YouTube and there isn't a doubt in my mind they could have raised thirty plus million to hire experienced, talented and skilled developers, animators, modelers etc etc. It could have been something very special. Instead they opted for a three man band in their parents basement job and thats exactly what we got.

This game will never live up to that image we had in our heads.

Long live H1Z1. I hope it buries DayZ for good. I was a huge DayZ fan and now I hope this definition of mediocrity is wiped clean from everyones mind this time next year never so much as to be even whispered about ever again.

If they think they it's acceptable to charge people money for a game and then expect others to finish it for them they can go and take a running jump.

Worst 25 quid I've spend gaming wise that I can remember. Would have got more satisfaction throwing my money down the toilet.

Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

For me it's the engine that is the problem, the Arma engine is just not good enough for this type of game and DayZ will never fulfil it's potential while it is been build on that engine. I too am holding out for H1Z1, seems like a much better engine.

Benzino wrote: »
    For me it's the engine that is the problem, the Arma engine is just not good enough for this type of game and DayZ will never fulfil it's potential while it is been build on that engine. I too am holding out for H1Z1, seems like a much better engine.

I want Dayz to work, Ive been playing BI games since 2001 but my patience with the lack of real progress on this game is a killer. How many jackets, helmets , blah blah do we need, all nice but vehicles are needed, zombie teleporting should be the FIRST thing fixed. Im mean are items still only spawning once? Hourly restarts are a bit extreme.

I know its Alpha but Im getting a bad feeling about the game, like, is it actually fixable? have they hit a wall with the engine? I hope it is good in the end my Im loosing hope.

Its a shame as the mod broke such new ground, my best gaming experience in a decade.

I have hope for H1Z1 for my zombie fix, I do want zombies in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I dont buy it, seems stalled in Aplha with bugger all happening beyond frivolous additions for a long long time.

I know what Alpha means all to well... I mean how much cash has Dayz generated between arma 2 and SA sales ? still same game it was when SA was released.

You can't just ****ing throw money at a programming issue and expect it to resolve itself. They used their money to buy a new team for animals, zombies and pathfinding.

That probably means the game wont be in Alpha for as long. If you know what Alpha ****ing is then why in the **** are you ****ing complaining about it. ****. I swear people read the Alpha warning, say internally (This probably means the game will take a couple weeks to be released) then click the massive "I UNDERSTAND" under the Alpha warning.

They made the assumption they'd be in Alpha for about a year or so. That hasnt changed.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    You can't just ****ing throw money at a programming issue and expect it to resolve itself. They used their money to buy a new team for animals, zombies and pathfinding.

That probably means the game wont be in Alpha for as long. If you know what Alpha ****ing is then why in the **** are you ****ing complaining about it. ****. I swear people read the Alpha warning, say internally (This probably means the game will take a couple weeks to be released) then click the massive "I UNDERSTAND" under the Alpha warning.

They made the assumption they'd be in Alpha for about a year or so. That hasnt changed.

No need to be so aggressive and condescending Timmy. I think the project management side of stand alone is the problem here and Im not the only one.
    I think they are hiding behind the Alpha status. Go and take a few deep breaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Benzino wrote: »

It is very shocking, when they had a fantastic Arma 3 engine, but they still went for Arma 2 one. I agree 100% that engine is its worst enemy right now. You cant polish a turd and Arma 2 engine is a MASSIVE Turd.

I know poeple complain about it being so slow with updates, but it is still fantastic compared to Rust. I still love Rust, but they are in way deeper hole then DayZ. In the end, its still Alpha. One of the best Alpha out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

ITT: People who have never worked on a game engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

No need to be so aggressive and condescending Timmy. I think the project management side of stand alone is the problem here and Im not the only one.
    I think they are hiding behind the Alpha status. Go and take a few deep breaths.

I agree with Timmy, it's an alpha, and rocket even said that they are focusing on getting everything as perfect as possible. They're taking their time to make sure that everything works right. It makes no sense to beef about a game that is an alpha, where the creator advised not to buy it if you're expecting a full game in the near future.

People are just raging because they're butthurt over the lack of progress. Development may seem slow, but it's better than them throwing a half arsed game with half arsed features out there and calling it done. People just need a little patience, and listen to what is being said, simple really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

In my opinion the game would be fun/playable at the moment if they just moved the spawn points all over the map. Anywhere but Berizino really. Don't forget chaps, the actual stand alone game has not been in development that long. It takes years to make games, especially ones as complex as this. Anyway here's the latest dev blog explaining what the delay has been & why etc.

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

[Rasta] wrote: »
    I agree with Timmy, it's an alpha, and rocket even said that they are focusing on getting everything as perfect as possible. They're taking their time to make sure that everything works right. It makes no sense to beef about a game that is an alpha, where the creator advised not to buy it if you're expecting a full game in the near future.

People are just raging because they're butthurt over the lack of progress. Development may seem slow, but it's better than them throwing a half arsed game with half arsed features out there and calling it done. People just need a little patience, and listen to what is being said, simple really.

I get what Timmy is saying, I don't like the manner he said it in.

Im not butthurt, I just think Dayz has missed the boat and its a bit gutting.

If H1Z1 is anyway decent then I'd guess DayZ is Ka put.

Has Rocket not left the team? He is a great ideas man and visionary but maybe not the best guy to get SA out the door.

I love the mod and I want to see the game finished and finished well. But Im not getting good vibes from the lack of real progress. Lots of hats and crap tho.

Its good that they are taking time to get it right if thats whats happening.

Companies releasing basically beta's is all to common, fook, look at the mess Arma 2 was when released.

But like the man said, you cant polish a turd.

The difference in feel between RV3 and RV4 is night and day. Id suggest that's the real issue here.

edit, from dev blog:

"We were getting the engine to do things that it was never designed to do, especially regarding interiors of buildings."

re. The whole "why are they only releasing hats? etc" issue.

A game development company is made up of multiple teams, the arists(guys making the hats) can't just be sitting there twiddling their thumbs while other teams work on the actual game engine & other more technical issues(Zombie Path finding). This is why we see multiple things being released into the game that seem useless.

This is a great post for those wanting to know how games development works:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/195924-the-current-state-of-development-dayz-understanding-the-development-process/#entry1973375

Also Rocket is still the head of development & will not leave until he feels the game is in a polished & feature filled state. (Like what Notch did with Minecraft)

Post 14 in that link hits the nail on the head for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I bought the stand alone on day 1,but just so i could avail of the discount. I dip in occasionally just to see what updates have done to the game. Im neither annoyed/disappointed as a few people are here.

This Alpha also seems to be different imo,its not a typical alpha in the sense of that the game is not just an early release demo its actually being developed "live" so to speak. With new builds being pushed and players diving in. They could have went the other way and and just released a demo and taken the money and not introduced anything new till beta. The massive warning when you bought the game should have been an indicator. I think they deserve praise for putting that on the game imo.

Also combined operations can be got for about €5,go use that to play dayz full of content till the SA is more developed. Least that way you wont be totally frustrated with it by the time its released officially. Or so many seem to like the Arma 3 engine,(which i think is great aswell)so download breaking point for that

I much rather they got the basics right first like hit detection,movement,server infastructure,better anti cheat,server fps lag etc before they add content.

Look at battlefield 4,tons of content on release but unplayable because all the bugs in the core gameplay. I know id hate to see SA go that way.

Also i see so much praise for H1Z1,total unknown quantity atm,ok get excited for it but nobody knows what its gonna be like. Could be s****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

It is very shocking, when they had a fantastic Arma 3 engine, but they still went for Arma 2 one. I agree 100% that engine is its worst enemy right now. You cant polish a turd and Arma 2 engine is a MASSIVE Turd.

I know poeple complain about it being so slow with updates, but it is still fantastic compared to Rust. I still love Rust, but they are in way deeper hole then DayZ. In the end, its still Alpha. One of the best Alpha out there.

Didn't they go for the Arma 2 engine because the Arma 3 engine's owner didn't like the direction they were going with it and wasn't giving them as much reign over it as they wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

ITT: People who have never worked on a game engine.

Incorrect, I have :P

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Arma is actually quite powerful engine for what it does in background away from people's eyes. What amazes me is the sheer amount of options given to modders and still sustaining half descent framerates with it. Other games are only focusing on core elements, that is what wins framerate race for them. I believe that SA devs have been facing certain dilemma regarding to an engine choice, it could run better on other engine, but it would never be the same DayZ we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

is the irishdayz server down?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wasted

Yup, gone about a week now:-( Any preferred servers people play on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

We didn't reknew the IrishDayz server because the game is stagnating a bit. We'll probably bring it back up when new content is added and the dynamic is changed from Berezino. Worry not xx

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wasted

What server you play on TheTacticguy

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Wasted wrote: »
    Yup, gone about a week now:-( Any preferred servers people play on?

Bravehearts, Ironcore (HC) or Bandits country are good servers.

There's no real point sticking to a server at the moment lads, no persistence in game yet. When bases do come in we will all have fun raiding each other for loots

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

ktulu123 wrote: »
    There's no real point sticking to a server at the moment lads, no persistence in game yet. When bases do come in we will all have fun raiding each other for loots

Still though, if we could get a list of servers that the boards guys play on we could at least play on the same servers.

ktulu123 wrote: »

There are many advantages to using the same servers at the moment. Mostly for lag but also you get to know the restart pattern and possibly get to play with some regulars. Also saves the annoying game or connecting >> Kicked >> re-connecting, etc... that you find on so many Clan servers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

New exp stuff, looks promising.

Link

New exp stuff, looks promising.

Link

Tons of new stuff, the update is 760Mb! Hunting, fishing, gathering and new weapons, clothes, animations, etc.. On Experimental only for now and the servers are quite busy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

Lads im looking to play a game on my lunchbreaks, just finished southpark and was considering day z. Is it the sort of game you can just play for 50 min each day continuing where you left off?

• Advertisement

Rossin wrote: »
    Lads im looking to play a game on my lunchbreaks, just finished southpark and was considering day z. Is it the sort of game you can just play for 50 min each day continuing where you left off?

Defo. Thats what I do, I play 1-2h at the time, not everyday but often enough. Then a longer session at the weekend.

Advertisement