Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Standalone

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Yes it possibly is, but in the mod days(Hopefully in the future of this) you could get stuck in a fire fight that could last fecking hours. Was good & bad haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Yes it possibly is, but in the mod days(Hopefully in the future of this) you could get stuck in a fire fight that could last fecking hours. Was good & bad haha

As Ktu said, you can get caught up in a firefight and disconnecting is very poor form.
    It might be best to play this only when you can commit to being 40 mins late for a meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

Thanks. Can you have much fun playing on your own or do you need to find a group?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

I remember playing the mod for over 12 hours some days, spending an hour hiding in a bush, stalking the boards clan as they raided stary sobor, then trying to pick them all off with a DMR or a M107 and them giving chase towards the NWAF. It usually ended up with me dying but that never stopped me sprinting back up to try kill them again.

Now with SA, I only get time to play on the weekends, average session is still between 2 and 3 hours, but this would be alot longer if they had tents implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

I remember playing the mod for over 12 hours some days, spending an hour hiding in a bush, stalking the boards clan as they raided stary sobor, then trying to pick them all off with a DMR or a M107 and them giving chase towards the NWAF. It usually ended up with me dying but that never stopped me sprinting back up to try kill them again.

Now with SA, I only get time to play on the weekends, average session is still between 2 and 3 hours, but this would be alot longer if they had tents implemented.

I am in the same boat, I remember spending almost a half a day straight playing the mod. Now it seems I am forcing myself to play any longer than 2 hours.

The SA just doesn't seem to have the same appeal for me. Like remember the battles we had hawkeye, me calling you guys out on here and a battle that would in the end when we started fighting last only about 10min but the work up to it lasted anywhere up to 2 hours.

Aaaaa them were the good old days :)

• Advertisement

Rossin wrote: »
    Thanks. Can you have much fun playing on your own or do you need to find a group?

It goes in waves for me. For months I would be bored out of my mind playing alone and a group was amazing fun, then a group only slowed things down and I loved Lone-Wolfing it.

I think it depends on your playstyle, if you want to gear up to top end equipment and keep it, group play is probably best. If you want to run, naked and screaming through Berez with a hatchet and cause as much damage as possible, loner time.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

Are they going to implement most of the stuff that was available in the mod or are they going down their own avenue with their own features??? For e.g. ghille suits, atv's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

Just can't get into SA for some reason, just doesn't attract me at all with all the bugs and messed up gunplay. Have been playing "OverPoch" (Overwatch and Epoch mods merged). Found it entertaining with the good old DayZ Mod with extra weapons and vehicles and base building.

Hopefully they start moving towards Beta soon, will give it a go again when they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

...stalking the boards clan...

I can still vividly recall the time you came ****ing grenades at us. It was deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

I can still vividly recall the time you came ****ing grenades at us. It was deadly.

this lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

this lol

If I remember right, we all died shortly after this video ended.

God damn it I really wish I was recording back in those days. DayZ was at its best back then

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭James74

... and I'm very feckin' glad you weren't. From memory wayyyy too much alcohol fueled incoherent communications, disgracefully childish giggling, and girl-like screaming when the shooting did start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

James74 wrote: »
    ... and I'm very feckin' glad you weren't. From memory wayyyy too much alcohol fueled incoherent communications, disgracefully childish giggling, and girl-like screaming when the shooting did start.

This is just a tangent here but You're from Burnfoot. I'm from Buncrana. Lets be friends :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭James74

Timmyctc wrote: »
    This is just a tangent here but You're from Burnfoot. I'm from Buncrana. Lets be friends :pac:

Ahhh Timmy, c'mer for a hug son ;) Do the clicky steam friendy thing.
    In the spirit of openness, I'm too old for Liberty's and too young for The Brass Rail.

James74 wrote: »
    Ahhh Timmy, c'mer for a hug son ;) Do the clicky steam friendy thing.
    In the spirit of openness, I'm too old for Liberty's and too young for The Brass Rail.

Arah well I'm in Galway now anyways so I haven't given oul Colm my ten euro in a while :pac:

James is a great man for making friends! Get a few whiskys into him & he's flying:

Sorry James :P

Question for everyone, how many times have you all been killed by ladders??? i hadent played in a few weeks and tonight is the first night in a good while i have played.
    I ran for over 2 hours to get to a friend and died 5min after meeting up with him, by a ****ing ladder!!!!!! I then respawned, was a good bit away so I killed myself and logged in again. I spawned in at a town right beside my friend when the server restarted. When we picked a new server i logging to have a 90 second spawn time and when it finished i saw a message "you are dead"!!!!!!!!! I mean come the **** on!!!!

When are they going to ****ing fix some of the major bugs in this game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Never been killed by a ladder, but stairs are *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

Has anyone got any recommendations on which servers to play on? I'm currently using DayZ UK 5-X hosted by gamingdeluxe (i.e. x is a number like 40 or 102)?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Played the game for the first time in ages. Got killed by a hacker in less than 2 mins of entering server (invisible hack or bullet hack of some sort). That's me stopped playing for another while!

When are they going to ****ing fix some of the major bugs in this game :(

400px-Dayzstandaloneeawarning.jpg

I take it if you buy it now you still have to buy it again when the game is finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

I take it if you buy it now you still have to buy it again when the game is finished?

No. I dont think so.

It will get more expensive as time goes on. So if you think you;ll buy it on release, get it now and save some money.

You don't have to play it and you can even buy it as a gift and trade/sell it later if you don't like the direction the game takes.

400px-Dayzstandaloneeawarning.jpg

This is a fault that they had on the mod and now 5 months into the standalone. The lack of progress on this game is killing it for me.

I fully understand and accept that it is a alpha game but they are using it a as excuse now in my opinion.

This is a fault that they had on the mod and now 5 months into the standalone. The lack of progress on this game is killing it for me.

I fully understand and accept that it is a alpha game but they are using it a as excuse now in my opinion.

A contradicts B and vice versa.

It will get more expensive as time goes on. So if you think you;ll buy it on release, get it now and save some money.

You don't have to play it and you can even buy it as a gift and trade/sell it later if you don't like the direction the game takes.

Thanks,

downloading it now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I would agree with Chewy at this stage the development progress has been well too slow and their should have been a lot more progress.
    If I knew at the beginning it was going to be two years before full release I never would have given them my money.
    (Even triple A titles are developed from scratch in much less time and yes I know they have huge budgets but the Dayz budget expanded fairly rapidly now)
    It really does seem like they got the money and have sat on their asses ever since. Even the terrible developers with the Warz game have done more in the same amount of time. (Just a note Warz or survivor stories or what ever its called I think is a terrible game but that's beside the point)
    After the crap with this game I will be ensuring I never support an alpha stage purchase again.

• Advertisement

deceit wrote: »
    Even the terrible developers with the Warz game have done more in the same amount of time. (Just a note Warz or survivor stories or what ever its called I think is a terrible game but that's beside the point)
    After the crap with this game I will be ensuring I never support an alpha stage purchase again.

WarZ is a reskin of an existing game.

DayZ required a complete rewrite of the client and server netcode, and that's just to start.
    DayZ is a far more ambitious game than WarZ, it will take far longer to lay the groundwork before visible progress can be made.

The ragging on the DayZ team really gets to me as it strikes very close to home for me. I work making educational games and such. And near the start of a project, the project managers will be freaking out because of lack of visible progress. And no matter what we tell them about how much we are getting done, it doesn't matter because they can't see it. So I have to take time off critical backend work to go and whip up some UI interaction with half-baked specs and programmer art. Just so they can see something is different than the last build.

This is the same company that gave you ArmA 2 and 3. Look at the improvements that they made between those 2 games. They are dedicated and capable.
    None of you have any idea about what is or is not getting done. And even if no code is getting written, they are not going to be idle. There will be planning. I don't know how many programmers are here but 1 man thinking is worth 2 men coding. Trust me on that.

Advertisement