Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges / Tax / Demonstrations / Irish Water / Meter Installations etc etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I have moved to south in April to new apartment blocks - we are first tenants in our apartment as is everyone else I assume. We haven't received any correspondence on this and from what I can gather neither has anyone else in the block.

So I'm doing nothing until they contact me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

is there a thread or forum or page that can actually show you how to avoid or at least minimise as much as possible having to pay this nonsense charge? i read this today and it makes all too much sense. Big buisness playing with the little peoples lives in order to profit

http://oireachtasretort.tumblr.com/post/98830312120/some-notes-on-introduction-of-water-charges

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's threads on reducing water consumption. That's your only choice as any other avoidance isn't legal nor likely to actually work.

As with the property tax, there's a lot of noise from a few noisy people about nothing, being over reported by the media.

That article is wrong from the first paragraph - Irish Water is not privatised.

I have moved to south in April to new apartment blocks - we are first tenants in our apartment as is everyone else I assume. We haven't received any correspondence on this and from what I can gather neither has anyone else in the block.

So I'm doing nothing until they contact me!

Anyone any ideas if I am correct taking this approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Anyone any ideas if I am correct taking this approach?

It doesn't seem to be clear if the LL will be legally responsible for the water rates. If it transpires that the user, ie the tenant is responsible then you may lose your free allowance. But to be honest, I'm just thinking out loud here.

• Advertisement

emeldc wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to be clear if the LL will be legally responsible for the water rates. If it transpires that the user, ie the tenant is responsible then you may lose your free allowance. But to be honest, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Oh right - but how can I lose my free allowance if I have never been asked for details etc.

And before anyone suggests it I'm not going chasing them to do their job of extorting money off me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I just got an email from a major Dublin letting company (despite the fact that I bought an apartment three and a half years ago) with the following quote.
    We would also advise that you keep a note of the Application Number and PIN Number in relation to each property - please also email these details to us on water@lettingcompanyemail.ie, so we can hold them on file for future transfers.

Does this strike anyone else as a bit outrageous? The application number maybe, but the PIN?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I just got an email from a major Dublin letting company (despite the fact that I bought an apartment three and a half years ago) with the following quote.

Does this strike anyone else as a bit outrageous? The application number maybe, but the PIN?
    Assuming the email came from them, it would seem that your data (at least your email address) has been retained inappropriately and they are trying to compromise the security of your account and others. I would make a complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner, Irish Water and to the manager of the letting company.

If they are managing a property, all they should need is the meter number and the property address. I don't know how Irish Water account numbers relate to meter numbers, but I strongly suspect the account number follows the occupied, not the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thought so. This is the crowd who wanted me to get a copy of the apartment key cut, send it to them in an envelope with the address inside, all in the name of security and just in case I lost the key.

For a major Dublin letting company, they really aren't bright sparks. Email is genuine as far as I can tell, but it means they've sent this rubbish to all their tenants in the city.

I'll email Data Protection about it, and email the company a howler as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JenMol

Hi,

I am just wondering about water charges. See I know they want the PPS numbers for everyone in my home house but I am a postgrad student living out of home. I do come home most weekends but I need to register for water charges with my housemates in my apartment but I was wondering do I have to give my PPS in my home house aswell as my apartment in the city or how does it work?? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Only one adult PPS is required per property, since there is only one allowance of 30,000l per property.

JenMol wrote: »
    I am just wondering about water charges. See I know they want the PPS numbers for everyone in my home house but I am a postgrad student living out of home. I do come home most weekends but I need to register for water charges with my housemates in my apartment but I was wondering do I have to give my PPS in my home house aswell as my apartment in the city or how does it work?? Thanks.
    Pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,084 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Landlord has just told me he will be charging each tenant €5 a week extra for water charges, I am in a house with 8 bedsits in total, some places have more than one tenant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Landlord has just told me he will be charging each tenant €5 a week extra for water charges, I am in a house with 8 bedsits in total, some places have more than one tenant.
    Bedsits are banned.
    €5pw= €260pa which sounds excessive for a singleton

What does your lease say?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

snubbleste wrote: »
    Bedsits are banned.
    €5pw= €260pa which sounds excessive for a singleton

Depends. If the water is being charged per unit- and its subdivided into a series of single bedroom units- it could actually be reasonable ballpark figure for that dwelling type (depends of course whether free allowances apply or not).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

The agent to my landlord has asked for everyone's PPSN in an apartment complex of 67 dwellings. I asked him if he didn't mind if I dealt with the forms myself. He claims that the landlord (his boss) wants all the numbers to send on to the county council... I thought the county council were no longer involved at all with water???

nothing wrote: »
    I thought the county council were no longer involved at all with water???
    Correct. All contact should be via Irish Water.

In practice, a lot of the day to day work is done by council staff on secondment to Irish Water, while metering and new projects / initiatives are being done directly by Irish Water.

You now knwo you are either dealing with fools or liars. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Dub_Steve

That's ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

nothing wrote: »
    The agent to my landlord has asked for everyone's PPSN in an apartment complex of 67 dwellings. I asked him if he didn't mind if I dealt with the forms myself. He claims that the landlord (his boss) wants all the numbers to send on to the county council... I thought the county council were no longer involved at all with water???

The agent is not entitled to your PPSN, only Irish Water are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

What if you just say one person lives in the apartment?

From my reading of it the more people in a house the more it will cost. So whats to stop people in a house share just registering only one person and splitting the water charges for one person between them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

From my reading of it the more people in a house the more it will cost. So whats to stop people in a house share just registering only one person and splitting the water charges for one person between them?

If its metered- you'll pay for usage- regardless of how many are in the property (after the initial flat rate period ends). You're postponing the inevitable.

If its metered- you'll pay for usage- regardless of how many are in the property (after the initial flat rate period ends). You're postponing the inevitable.

Water usage in the house would probably be close enough to the use by one person who was there all the time. All the housemates in the house spend a fair amount of time away from the house (working long hours, going home for weekends, staying at gf's/bf's, work trips away etc). Paying the full fee for all the people living there would be unfair as the water usage would be much lower hence why I'm wondering.

The LL may put the water charges in his name (gas, esb etc are in his name as it stands) and we open the water bills and pay the charges on his behalf but it hasn't been fully decided yet.

I'm not looking to blatantly break the law etc but equally we don't want to be paying for usage far in excess of our actual usage either.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭obriendj

Does anyone know who to contact regards the quality of the drinking water we are now expected to pay for?
    I find the drinking water to have a taste almost similar to a swimming pool. I never complained before as it was free but if i am expected to pay should i not expect a certain quality?
    Has anyone else experienced this? I am in an apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

obriendj wrote: »
    Does anyone know who to contact regards the quality of the drinking water we are now expected to pay for?
    I find the drinking water to have a taste almost similar to a swimming pool. I never complained before as it was free but if i am expected to pay should i not expect a certain quality?
    Has anyone else experienced this? I am in an apartment

irish water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Can anyone tell me where Irish Water got their mailing list from? I've been living at my present address for 6 years and haven't got an "application pack" yet but did get one with my name to the previous address, person told me they returned it. So is it to the building as they say or a name they send it to. and for an absolute laugh a fried of mine got one sent to him in United Arab Emirates, moved there 4 years ago. So what list are they working off??
    If I don't apply and as of yet no meter has gone in, what happens??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Irish water have confirmed that if tenants do not pay, then Landlord will be held responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Irish water have confirmed that if tenants do not pay, then Landlord will be held responsible.

Thats the opposite of what they said 2 weeks ago - where did you hear that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Thats the opposite of what they said 2 weeks ago - where did you hear that?

Irish Water Twitter

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-water-landlord-tenant-1726010-Oct2014/?utm_source=twitter_self

Advertisement