Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due August 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Kaylami wrote: »
    She's 12weeks on Friday

Thanks kaylami, your girl is doing much better than my boy so and you've had an awful lot on your plate. I can see myself giving up bf'ing now, so disheartened, I don't understand why baby's weight would stall so badly over the last 3 weeks and I can't afford a private lactation consultant. All the grandparents have been telling me to stop, they'll be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Omg noah is huge!!!!! He was 5.3kg when born

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Morebabies please don't give up.

I spoke to a lactation consultant this evening she said bf babies can plateau at a certain weight untill their next growth spurt and if we wanted to top her up with formula. If your baby is happy and healthy that's all that matters.

Wow Noah was a big baby! That made me laugh a lot. I'm sure he is adorable what weight is he now?

He's 7.3 last Friday at his 6 week check
    in 3/6 month clothes
    I've half a black sac full of stuff he never got to wear cuz he was so big!!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Wow static, Noahs growth certainly isn't slowing down!

• Advertisement

Wow static, Noahs growth certainly isn't slowing down!

Nope
    even on his baby "diet"
    they said he will always be in the 97 -99 percentile
    daddy ain't small

Wow static can I have some of what your giving him! That's amazing.

How is his baby diet going?

I love big babies they are so cute and the cheeks! I had 2 smallies before Evie.

Nope
    even on his baby "diet"
    they said he will always be in the 97 -99 percentile
    daddy ain't small

That's it, it's in his genes to be bigger, life would be pretty boring if we were all the same... I'd say you'll have fun keeping food in the house with your men:) No idea what percentile Shay is, phn/doc never mentioned, just said he was measuring tall which I was over the month with since I'm 5ft nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭llambert

She's still going to be godmother shortstuff & my best friend who's Cian's godmother is going to be Adam's proxy. She did see the babies. Was suppose to come stay a wk or 2 when they were born as she was home for the summer but only stayed 3 nights. Not sure why. She was suppose to come back up with her girls before they went back but never did. I was really upset not to see my nieces as I adore them & hadn't seen them since I was over with them in February. Of course her hubby was over at that stage & he's as selfish. They only had one car over so it wouldn't have suited him for her to go see me & leave him with no car. Anyway I'm trying not to take it personal as I know what she's like but still stings.

Static Noah sounds like he's really thriving. I love those fabulous chubby babas. They just look so tickly & cute. Cian is going to be my chubby baba x x Adam is longer & leaner......most take after his Mammy (ha ha if only this was true!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

[quote="morebabies; I don't understand why baby's weight would stall so badly over the last 3 weeks and I can't afford a private lactation consultant. All the grandparents have been telling me to stop, they'll be delighted.[/quote]

I regularly ring my hospital's lactation midwife for free advice, could you try that? They also run free weekly sessions, maybe see if your hospital offers anything similar. Or try a bf support group like Cuidu?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

fiona-f wrote: »
    I regularly ring my hospital's lactation midwife for free advice, could you try that? They also run free weekly sessions, maybe see if your hospital offers anything similar. Or try a bf support group like Cuidu?

Same here in Cork the lactation consultant is free to see she has a walk-in clinic once a wk and you can contact her by phone anytime. Also there are breastfeeding groups run by the HSE where you can see the PHN, that's prob not enuf for what u need though. I had to give up breastfeeding coz of the olanzapine I take at night but while I was doing it I saw the CUMH lact.consultant one-to-one and also got reassurance from the other Mums at the HSE bf group. Think the website is breastfeeding.ie or something?
    Llambert I loved your line 'what is there to love about a little person that cries uncontrollably at you for long periods of time' or something along those lines, how true!! I can't wait for the enjoyable part of it. The hubby finds it way easier than me coz he (father of 3 now!) knows this phase is only a phase. I 'know' that but I just can't feel it!!
    Oh by the way, very poor form out of your sister not coming to the christening after all the travelling you have done for her kids. With this being twins and your first and probably only babies (sorry not being presumtuous just basing on what you've said yourself) & esp as she is godmother you'd think she would make the effort !! Unf I can totally relate on siblings not making the effort. It prob would have happened anyway as my obstetrican said it's hormonal but I really think my bro not bringing my beloves niece & nephew to see me in the hosp was the start of my PND....I cried over it a few times and then things went downhill from there.

Unfortunately Lucuma people say your own is usually worse and in many cases its true!!! Like you said it probably will be my only christening. Don't know if I can face anymore ivf :-(

How are you getting on these days, how's Maeve?

I really need to get out of the house. Haven't been out at all this week. Today I'm counting everything. I've made 12 bottles, washed 14 and hung up 30 bibs on the clothes horse!!! On the plus side I only have to make 1 lot of bottles tomorrow. Love the days that happens. Ha ha these days I'm easily pleased.

llambert wrote: »
    She's still going to be godmother shortstuff & my best friend who's Cian's godmother is going to be Adam's proxy. She did see the babies. Was suppose to come stay a wk or 2 when they were born as she was home for the summer but only stayed 3 nights. Not sure why. She was suppose to come back up with her girls before they went back but never did. I was really upset not to see my nieces as I adore them & hadn't seen them since I was over with them in February. Of course her hubby was over at that stage & he's as selfish. They only had one car over so it wouldn't have suited him for her to go see me & leave him with no car. Anyway I'm trying not to take it personal as I know what she's like but still

Ah it certainly is bad form, you'd imagine it would bring sisters closer together comparing notes on motherhood etc. I don't have sisters so I could be wrong! Maybe it's her husband pulling strings but I hope she's there for you & the boys in the future. Don't let it put a damper on the christening:)

I have a wedding tomorrow so have been expressing the past week or so & already sick of all the washing & sterilising! Luckily Shay took the bottle no problem so it wasn't all a waste of time!

Oh my engagement ring fits again woohoo:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Oh my engagement ring fits again woohoo:)

Ha ha, it's the little things in life!

I'm losing the plot here with Heather. Sleep is getting worse by the night. I've been saying it's a growth spurt but this is going on for about 3weeks now.
    Lastnight got her settled in the cot by 11pm, woke at 1, back to sleep at 2, woke at half 3, back at 4, woke again at 5, brought her into bed with me then so had broken, uncomfortable sleep til 9. I have to feed her to sleep every time which I think is part of the problem. She refuses to take a soother, don't know if that would make my life much easier anyway as she'd still be waking looking for it. Using swaddling and white noise which was working fine a few weeks ago.
    I don't think its hunger either, she's tgriving physically and in great form when she's not tired.
    I'm going back to the idea of getting a swing sgsin.

Enjoy the wedding shortstuff with your slinky fingers!!

Emer-b are you bf? Mine went through a similar thing when I was feeding them constantly but because they were never fully hungry they were constantly waking. I just had to pick a night, not feed them till the proper time. Just had to try comfort them as best I could. Once they knew I wasn't feeding them bits of bottles anymore they started sleeping till their next feed time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Yeah Emer that doesn't sound right at this stage baby should be starting to sleep for longer periods, even bf babies! Would you consider a cranio sacal therapist?

Thanks ladies, yes she is breastfed. I actually booked Craniosacral after writing that post, have it next Wednesday.
    She had been sleeping 5/6/7 hrs at 6 weeks. Now at 9 weeks it's all gone to sh!t !! There's no indication of anything at all wrong with her (bar a few sniffles which are almost gone). She's really happy and smiley between short naps and doesn't really wake up cranky either. She falls asleep in my arms, goes into the cot asleep but almost always wakes fully within 10 mins and then it's start all over again. I'm trying to make sure she's not over tired and catch her early.
    I know ideally she should be falling asleep by herself but I've no idea how to get her to do that. She associates me with breastfeeding and that's all she wants, can't really blame her!
    Anyway I don't expect anyone to have magic answers here for me, just venting a bit and trying to decide how to tackle it!

emer_b wrote: »
    Thanks ladies, yes she is breastfed. I actually booked Craniosacral after writing that post, have it next Wednesday.
    She had been sleeping 5/6/7 hrs at 6 weeks. Now at 9 weeks it's all gone to sh!t !! There's no indication of anything at all wrong with her (bar a few sniffles which are almost gone). She's really happy and smiley between short naps and doesn't really wake up cranky either. She falls asleep in my arms, goes into the cot asleep but almost always wakes fully within 10 mins and then it's start all over again. I'm trying to make sure she's not over tired and catch her early.
    I know ideally she should be falling asleep by herself but I've no idea how to get her to do that. She associates me with breastfeeding and that's all she wants, can't really blame her!
    Anyway I don't expect anyone to have magic answers here for me, just venting a bit and trying to decide how to tackle it!

I never managed to get daughter to "fall asleep unaided". It's only now at 2.5 yrs she does it. When she was a baby she always bottle fed to sleep. Or if it didn't work she was rocked to sleep.

Pain in the ar$e

This time round I swore I'd not fall into that habit.
    so far it's working
    his usual routine is he stays awake about 30/40 mins after bottle.. and when he's starting to get sleepy I just put him in basket and turn on the music box and give him his dodo. He's usually asleep in about 20 mins.

He has a good look around... I have a helium balloon over the basket that he focuses on as my basket ain't strong enough to hold a mobile and he just drifts.

We shall see how this all changes next week when he's in a cot tho!!!

• Advertisement

Shortstuff enjoy the wedding!

That sounds tough with Maeve alright I've no suggestions at all I'm afraid!

Evie won't take her bottle unless it's the same temperature as breast milk so I haven't been giving her the boob but expressing and adding the fortified powder. She took 6oz in one feed and was still looking for more! I think I might have to start supplementing with formula also.

Wow I can't imagine having a baby that falls asleep by itself, jealous. My first was the same as Heather, had to feed her to sleep for first 6months. But she always got consistently better at sleeping longer stretches. I could cope with the feeding if I only had to do it once or twice a night!

Static think the cot will go great. I'd really recommend those sleep bags. Mine are devils for kicking off the blankets so I find them brilliant.

Sounds like Evie is back on track Kaylami great stuff!!

Probably harder this time emer cos you have another child to deal with too. My phn recommends putting them in awake. First few nights oh God it was torture they nearly broke me. Just had to keep picking them up, comforting them, bk in & repeat more times than you can count. Try get a nap in that day if you're going to try it, you'll need it. Might not work for all babies. Maybe try the swing will be well worth it if it works. You'd try anything!!

Thanks llambert. Do the boys fall asleep on their own now? I did that with my first but not until she was 6months as I read it was too stimulating for them any younger than that. Too much picking up and putting down. It obviously worked for you though!

Yeah it worked. My 2 were bad from 10-2am. They would only sleep if they were been cuddled. Then it was from 6-10pm. I started giving them the last bottle at 10 upstairs in their room. They started sleeping through the night from about 8 weeks.

For the last 4 weeks I've been bringing the time back bit by bit. Now I bath them just after 7. I still give the last bottle upstairs. They go into the cots about 7.45. Cian normally drops off pretty quick but Adam can take about 30 minutes to go. Usually I don't need to go near him but the odd night I have to go back in to give him a little cuddle, he's still awake though going in just calmer. I don't have any music or anything like that but maybe they might help Heather. I don't hear them again until 6.30-7am.

I know they're all different. I had to stick to some sort of plan when I've 2 or I'd never get any sleep. I'm no expert or am I telling you what to do but maybe you should give it a try. "They" say after 3 days maximum the habit should be broken. Your not getting much sleep so maybe worth a try. The first night for me was the worst. Second night was quicker to settle them and we haven't looked back since.

I don't get a nap anymore during the day cos they rarely sleep at the same time but once I get a decent sleep at night I can cope.

Do you manage any naps? Probably not with your other little one.

Thanks llambert. I Think I'll give it a go. Like I said I've done it before so I kinda know what to expect, even though it was with an older baby before.
    I don't get any nap at the moment as she's not sleeping long enough during the day to let me! I need that brief time to eat/wash/cook, just the bare basics! The toddler is with a childminder most days though. However she won't be there again until Wednesday so might have to wait til then to give it a go. I know you really need to be commited to it or there's no point.
    Thanks for the feedback. I know I have to do something drastic to improve things, just couldn't figure out what to do. Fingers crossed for a good night tonight x

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Hi ladies long time no post! Kaylami I'm so glad you and Evie are recovering ok after everything that happened to you xx Lucuma thank you for posting so openly about PND. It's great that you are starting to feel better. I didn't get PND but definitely had some very dark times after the birth, a lot to do with the labour itself. I was also getting panic attacks almost every evening, I had lost a lot of blood after the delivery and was severely anaemic which contributed to this (didn't realise panic attacks and anaemia were linked before now).
    Emer b I took my baby to cranio sacral therapy a few weeks ago, she was having feeding issues and projectile vomiting after feeds almost everyday, I mean everywhere not just your standard bloop! She is bf and fed way too fast, each feed she would 'empty' the boob in less than 5 mins. I had no idea how cranio even worked but we haven't looked back since. I think it works for lots of issues.
    llambert really interesting to read how you got your boys into a routine, sounds like you cracked sleeping which must be so crucial with twins! I'm trying to figure out how to settle my girl a bit earlier, at the moment she goes to bed when I go, about 9 or 10 but she is so cranky for the hour before I think she could do with being put down earlier. So going to try that now this week and see what happens.
    Baby is 7 weeks now, time is flying in. I am really enjoying her now and just relieved to have the first few awful weeks behind me!! She takes expressed milk from her dad now thank god, it's been really good to be able to get out by myself for a few hours.

Hope it works out for you emer-b, let us know how you get on.

Cameoette I only started putting mine down earlier when they started sleeping later in the morning. They were around 9 weeks. I don't escape the cranky hour. From about 5.30 till their bath they are like 2 demons. I gave up trying to have dinner at this time!!

llambert wrote: »
    Hope it works out for you emer-b, let us know how you get on.

Cameoette I only started putting mine down earlier when they started sleeping later in the morning. They were around 9 weeks. I don't escape the cranky hour. From about 5.30 till their bath they are like 2 demons. I gave up trying to have dinner at this time!!

That's crazy!!! Noah goes RADIO RENTAL from 9 till 11. EVERY night
    you could literally set ur clock by him

Mum Is off out tonight...

I say out...

I mean to my sister's with a few mates to drink tea eat pizza watch xfactor and carve pumpkins...

Its out enough for me and I cannot wait 😊

• Advertisement

Woohoo Static don't go too mad :-)

Would you not go wild and have as my Dad asks me when I'm not drinking and "have a mineral"!!!!!

Advertisement