Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due August 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Thanks llambert.

We are all much better today sore but mentally. The phn came out to check Evie as the hospital referred her so that was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Hi ladies, hope you and your babies are all keeping well. Just popping over from the September thread for a bit of advice from anyone who has had a section.

My baby is 9 days old and I had a c section due to baby being breech. I've been told that I'm healing well - I haven't looked at the stitches myself as I can't bring myself to but my hubby checks them and on Monday the phn said I was healing well. However today my right side is very sore and I feel like I've taken a step backwards. Is this normal or should I be worried???

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Hi ladies, hope you and your babies are all keeping well. Just popping over from the September thread for a bit of advice from anyone who has had a section.

My baby is 9 days old and I had a c section due to baby being breech. I've been told that I'm healing well - I haven't looked at the stitches myself as I can't bring myself to but my hubby checks them and on Monday the phn said I was healing well. However today my right side is very sore and I feel like I've taken a step backwards. Is this normal or should I be worried???

Congrats on the new arrival! I was defiantly still in quite a bit of pain at 9 days, was still taking difine for the pain. Are you taking pain killers? If I overdid it one day, I would definitely be sore the following day. We're you doing a little more than normal maybe? If it's gone red or hotter on the sore side might be best have it checked out in case it's infected. Mine went like this at 13 days but went away by itself the following day, phn just said to keep an eye on it & go to doc if it got worse. What kind of stitch do you have? I had the dissolvable one & it wasn't bad to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Congrats on your little one. :) I'm from the July thread and had a C Section (and my gorgeous little boy!!!) eleven weeks ago and tbh the pain had eased after a few days. In saying that, I had one day after about four weeks when I totally overdid it by carrying something really heavy (don't do this!) and I'd pain for a day afterwards. Has there been a change in your bleeding since this pain has appeared? If so then I'd see someone about it. If not, I would chat to your health visitor tomorrow. It's normal to get the odd twinge but you've described it as 'very sore' and considering you're just over a week post partum then you're best to get it checked out xx

Hi Merkin, congrats on your little boy! Actually I haven't bled since yesterday. I'll ring the nurse in the morning x

• Advertisement

Congrats on the new arrival! I was defiantly still in quite a bit of pain at 9 days, was still taking difine for the pain. Are you taking pain killers? If I overdid it one day, I would definitely be sore the following day. We're you doing a little more than normal maybe? If it's gone red or hotter on the sore side might be best have it checked out in case it's infected. Mine went like this at 13 days but went away by itself the following day, phn just said to keep an eye on it & go to doc if it got worse. What kind of stitch do you have? I had the dissolvable one & it wasn't bad to look at.

Thanks shortstuff, not that I like hearing that other people are in pain but it's reassuring knowing you're not tye only one! I'm on difine too but I run out today. I had staples taken out last Friday so just the dissolvable ones left.

Hubby pointed out I probably pulled the stitches the other night when the angelcare monitor went off and I lept up in bed. Phn called out this morning and said everything looks fine, just to take it easy. I'm finding it hard to figure out how much activity is too much as I'm normally a very active person so finding it hard to sit still. Last thing I want is to cause trouble for myself down the line though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm glad you're ok FurBaby! I had the same problem, I'm normally fairly busy so it was tough striking a balance. I think you simply need to listen to your body as it WILL tell you when you've overdone it. I'd say rest up when you do get the opportunity, let others do the heavy lifting like bathing etc and just ease yourself back into everything gently. The recovery time is quick but you do need to be kind to yourself too xx

Thanks shortstuff, not that I like hearing that other people are in pain but it's reassuring knowing you're not tye only one! I'm on difine too but I run out today. I had staples taken out last Friday so just the dissolvable ones left.

Hubby pointed out I probably pulled the stitches the other night when the angelcare monitor went off and I lept up in bed. Phn called out this morning and said everything looks fine, just to take it easy. I'm finding it hard to figure out how much activity is too much as I'm normally a very active person so finding it hard to sit still. Last thing I want is to cause trouble for myself down the line though.

I had a section with no2 and about 10days after I had a almighty pain on the left side of my scar. Took myself to a&e they said everything looked fine but that side seems to be pulled tighter. I didn't have stitches though. As far as I know they used some sort of glue?

That side gave me pain through my next pregnancy as everything stretched but I'm fine now!

Always reassuring to hear there are others in the same position as you, it does get easier. Glad the phn was happy with you. I ended up taking a few extra days worth of difine, really felt I needed it. Your hubby could be right about pulling the stiches, how do you feel today?

In terms of how active you should be, definitely listen to your body. My partner took care of all cooking/cleaning for the 1st 2weeks until he went back to work. After that I did light cleaning & started back walking, naturally got faster & gradually up'd the distance. I didn't drive until 6weeks & only lifted baby in car seat at 5weeks (short distance). Keep an eye on bleeding, if there's an increase your probably overdoing it.

Hi ladies hope you are all well.

I'm having a nightmare of a time with Evie my milk levels seem to have dropped since the accident. My neck and back are so sore and the strongest painkiller the doc gave me was ponstan cos of the bf.

She's really unsettled and I don't know what's wrong just wants fed and cuddled constantly. I had to try and sleep with her in my arms last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Kaylami wrote: »
    Hi ladies hope you are all well.

I'm having a nightmare of a time with Evie my milk levels seem to have dropped since the accident. My neck and back are so sore and the strongest painkiller the doc gave me was ponstan cos of the bf.

She's really unsettled and I don't know what's wrong just wants fed and cuddled constantly. I had to try and sleep with her in my arms last night.

Maybe the stress of it all is affecting you kaylami (and why wouldn't it after what you went through!). That can affect your milk. Or maybe it's a growth spurt for Evie. If you think the ponstan is affecting your supply you could try boosting it. I used fenugreek tablets last time, noticed an increase within 48hrs.
    Nightmare of a few days for you, hope everything goes back to normal soon.
    Any news from the guards about the crazy driver?

emer_b wrote: »
    Maybe the stress of it all is affecting you kaylami (and why wouldn't it after what you went through!). That can affect your milk. Or maybe it's a growth spurt for Evie. If you think the ponstan is affecting your supply you could try boosting it. I used fenugreek tablets last time, noticed an increase within 48hrs.
    Nightmare of a few days for you, hope everything goes back to normal soon.
    Any news from the guards about the crazy driver?

Thanks emerb

No not a word from the guards. These things take time I assume.

Where do you get fenugreek tablets from? I'll try and pick some up tomorrow.
    I'm trying to take as few painkillers as possible because of the bf.

I got them from a health food shop. There's fenugreek tea aswell but think you have to drink loads of it for any effect. Tablets worked well for me, boosted my supply for a few weeks. The weird thing about them is they make you smell sweet, your body odour smells like maple syrup! Not unpleasant but weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

K, I had ponstan for two weeks after my delivery and had huge milk supply so if your doctor has prescribed it for you, then I'd go with her recommendation on when and how many to take - being in pain and under stress can't be beneficial for breastfeeding either. Could you ring the lactation midwife in your hospital and discuss any side effects the ponstan might have on your supply with her? I'd also suggest consulting her before taking the fenugreek or any other herbal remedy to boost milk as some can interact with drugs - the lactation midwife in my hospital researched a number of drugs for me in a reference book about breastfeeding and drugs, and advised whether fenugreek supplements or fennel tea etc were compatible with my prescribed medication. Concentrate on getting yourself well first and don't suffer needlessly. Best wishes.

Thanks ladies.

I was taking ponstan and solpadeine after delivery so I know they are both fine with the bf but I just don't want to take a lot if you know what I mean. The doc just said as needed following guidelines of maximum dosage.

I'm going try upping my water intake and that should improve things.

Thank you for all your support x

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭llambert

Kaylami hope Evie settling down abit for you know. Apart from anything else she probably senses the stress and tension you've been under the last few days.

This might sound ridiculous but the boys are sleeping too late in the morning. I put them into their cots this week. Still had plenty of room in their baskets but one was a right mover. Have them in those sleep bags in the cots now & they are sleeping great. Anyway I still feed them at 10. They're in bed by 10.30 & are sleeping past 7 (plus I usually need to wake one after feeding first one). Is this the time to start moving the last feed at night back earlier?? Hubby up for work around 6am so up anyway. Would rather be up at this time than have them up till I'm going to bed at night. Also with the longer sleeping I'm not managing to get 5 full feeds into them. Is this normal.

Also someone told me that I would have to do everything later with them cos they were over 3 weeks early but they're right bursters. She was suggesting that I don't spoon feed them till nearly 6 months because their digestive systems would be behind. Surely this is a load of bull and it depends on each baby. I can't imagine they'll go to 6 months without the spoon.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice. I've been taking it easier and am starting to feel less sore x

KaylamI just read about tour incident, you poor thing! Hopefully your body gets over the shock really soon xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Hi girls, haven't been on in ages, the PND taking alot out of me & have had a few wobbly days. Pretty ok today though. Like all new Mums I'm taking it day by day! Maeve will be 6 weeks this week and I'm so bloody proud of having gotten this far, it really feels like an achievement!
    Kaylami sorry to hear abt your crash and the resulting affect on your milk, hope it gets better. Llambert I've no clue either but sounds like a nice problem to have!

Hi ladies hope you are all keeping well.

Thank you all for your support. I've been referred for some counselling as I'm having flashbacks and nightmares.

Lucama sorry to hear about the pnd I hope you are doing better.

Llambert try not to worry once the boys are sleeping and content they are obviously getting enough. My gp says a happy baby is much more reliable than measurements.

Milk seems to be back up Evie is back waking at night so I think she is just trying to get the milk back up to full supply - it seems to be working anyway!

Lucuma I was only thinking of you on Saturday. Hope your doing ok, did you get Maeve's passport sorted yet?? I'm sure you have tough days but like you said all you can do is take it one day at a time. It will start getting a little easier now every week now that Maeve is 6 weeks. That's what I've found anyway or maybe I'm adjusting better.

Kaylami great your milk is back up. Hope the counselling helps. I had an accident years ago. The flashbacks were awful and wish I had of done what your going doing. The circumstances of your accident certainly wouldn't help I can only imagine how your feeling.

Hope the rest of the Mammies are doing ok?

Another week, happy Monday!!

• Advertisement

Well done for coping with PND Lucuma, you've every reason to be proud! 6 weeks is a huge turning point. Shays 7weeks tomorrow, can't believe how much he's grown in the past week alone.

Hope the counselling helps kaylami, & your little ones have forgotten all about it.

We're doing good. Had 6week checkup last Tuesday, up to 10lb8 from 8lb1 so dr was very happy with him. Delighted feeding is going well. Flat out feeding the past week with the 6wk growth spurt, think it's calming down now.

Managed 35mins walk/jogging on the threadmill at my mams today while she minded Shay. Nice to get a bit of me time even for a 1/2 hour:)

He's not 7weeks is he? My god that time flew. Glad it's going well with feeding I found the 6week growth spurt tough all right!

We've my sil wedding this weekend so busy week ahead. I've no car so mammy and daddy will be doing taxi.

Evie has her appointment on Tuesday ill be glad to start the process of getting her mouth all sorted out for her!

That's great Noah is doing so well shortstuff sure you're delighted fair play!!

Good on you with the treadmill too. I got hubby to dig out my exercise dvds from a box in the shed. Now they're sitting gathering dust!!

Kaylami hope you're getting bk to normal. Enjoy the wedding!! Did you come to a resolution on the bf or is poor Evie banished to the bathrooms to have her feeds. Good luck on Tuesday with her appointment.

I'm having a real crap week. Cried all day yesterday over nothing. Its horrible been heavily pregnant in summer and realised now its horrible been on maternity leave all winter. Lucky so far with weather but that won't last. Thoughts of been trapped inside for days on end. Think the repetitive of my new life is dawning on me. Really miss my independence. Feel like the worlds worst saying it. Love the boys but its tough going. Sure I'll be the opposite when it comes to going bk to work.

Oh I hear you llambert. I really felt like that with my first, not to the same extent this time but there are days (like yesterday!!). I remember having a meltdown at 11weeks because I felt so trapped, particularly by breastfeeding. But the best part of this being my second is hindsight. It really doesn't last forever. The boys will go longer between feeds, sleep longer at night, get more mobile (pros and cons to that!), and once they pass that vulnerable newborn stage they start giving back so much.
    I thought I would be getting out and abut and doing so much on maternity leave, but once I accepted that some days all I will achieve is to get dressed and eat, it takes the pressure off mentally. I look at it like a job, a really tough job, for the first 6 months, then it gets easier and you get a little bit of your life back every week/month.
    I went to the shop on my own at the weekend, half hr round trip, and it was the first time I had truly been on my own, day or night, for 7 weeks. I was delighted with myself, saw it as a little bit of progress!!

Yeah 7weeks, time really is flying! I have a wedding next week too, started expressing, just 1oz every morning so I've 5oz now, afraid to do more in case baby's hungry. Thinking I'll bring Shay with us to church, I'll drop partner to pub/reception after & head home til 5ish, drop baby to MIL with bottles & head home after speeches all going well. No idea if he'll take a bottle, kinda afraid to try. Should he have enough with 2* 4oz bottles? Will hopefully have a 3rd just in case but will also need a bottle to try him with before hand too.... Ah better get expressing some more!

I hear ya on being couped up! We were doing great with walks & that but with the change in weather I'm afraid he'd be cold in the buggy. He has been sneezing loads & coughing a bit. Weight watchers meeting will soon become a highlight to my week:)

Glad your all doing well!

Llambert boobs will be out and proud it's the most natural thing in the world so why should I hide away? Now I'm not goin to sit at the top table and do it but within reason!

Totally agree with the being couped up with my toddler she was born in November it was miserable. This time hasn't been too bad I've 2 summer babies and 1 winter baby!

I can't decide if I'm looking forward to goin back to work or not!

Shortstuff that should be loads for the wedding!

Out & proud love it!! We were at a wedding 2weeks ago & got my mam to babysit in the hotel room for the meal but we brought the baby down around 10 to the reception. Fed him at a table later on in the night, I had a scarf with me to cover up a bit. Was just watching his latch before I covered up properly but ya could see feck all & we weren't in the middle of a crowd or anything, well the girl I was talking to (who breastfed her son) was mad trying to help cover me up! Maybe she thought I was embarrassed but I really couldn't have been bothered scarf or no scarf.... Most natural thing in the world:)

Oh god please don't mention going back to work, I'm terrified! Not due back for 6 months thankfully. Meeting with the women who will most likely minding Shay tomorrow, hopefully we all click!

That's exactly how I feel emer-b, glad I'm not the only one. Suppose at the moment all I get is the odd smile and the rest of our communication usually involves one or both roaring in my face!!

You're dead right Kaylami. Couldn't understand your sil problem with it in the first place.

Ah work not sure how I feel about that. I'm going back March 9th. Taking some unpaid leave cos that's when the creche I want to send them can take the boys. Have mixed feelings about it already. Between the babies, dog, petrol for the commute I literally be coming out with €50 a week. I know most people will think leave the dog in the garden but he's ruined rotten. He's never been a back garden pet so too late to start him now!! I'm probably not the only one in this position but for the sake of my sanity I think I'd need to work. Anyway its a long way off yet. Anyone any ideas of the cost of a childminder to a creche??

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Hope you're doing good kaylami, and staticdoor, how's things now with your little man?

• Advertisement

This should give you all a giggle...

Spent ages doing my makeup and hair this morning perk myself up a bit. Thought I looked fabulous smokey eyes the whole lot.

Walked into the shop there and a little girl about 3 goes "look mammy a real witch"

Starting to rethink the black hair with red highlights now!

Advertisement