Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seattle Nissan Leaf Reaches 100,000 Miles !

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Afaik it's up to each county council but they are not bothered. They already have the power.
    Not saying I am against it or anything btw, just that it would require legislating for.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If you're going to source an article, then at least find a source relevant to the Irish market and not some anti EV website relevant to the U.S market.

so CNBC is an anti-ev news source . And Im not allowed to reference a US website with US statistics when were talking about a US story of a car in the US for you to make your case .

I give up mate , this isnt worth my time. Also what happens your figures when on street charging stops being free (which will happen)

also :

Kia Rio . 16k new , ~8k at 5 years old (carzone average price for 2009 models) so 8 k in 5 years depreciation . New rio does 74mpg combined , So 100,000 miles is 5114 litres of fuel. 8182 euro worth of fuel at 1.60 a litre, so we'll call it 8k even just to simplify this and to account for lower prices a lot of the time. So far the rio is costing 16k for 5 years , 180x5 for road tax thats another 900 , so 16900 . Servicing we have http://www.jpdouglas.ie/web/kia-aftersales-cork-fxed-price-service/ offering a fixed price minor service for 167 (which is high) so 835 for servicing. 17735 total , we'll call for bulbs, a set of tyres and other expenses say 18200 for 5 years total.

New leaf is 21k . At your 1.80 night charge rate it would cost 2400 euro over 1333 charges for 100k miles . well throw in 500 for a set of tyres and another 500 for bulbs, wipers and other bits as above and 120x 5 for road tax so thats 25000 over 5 years. that means that unless the resale value on a 5 year old leaf is over 6800 euro then its cheaper to buy the kia rio overall. We obviously dont have data to say how much a 5 year old leaf is worth but if the cnbc article is correct and it will only retain 37% of its value after 5 years then it should be valued around 7700 euro , so over 5 years the leaf is only 900 euro cheaper to own (excluding any other costs nissan have for battery checks or whatnot) . so for 180 euro a year I can pay to not have to stand around at a charger , and make it from dublin to cork in 1 go .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Your servicing cost is Bull

Breaks, suspension, tires, ball joints, bearings, wipers, bulbs, nct when it's required.

A service is not just changing the oil and filter and that on its own is cheap enough for a small car

The only saving is fuel but the whole battery rental and charging thing I'm not into

Your servicing cost is Bull

Breaks, suspension, tires, ball joints, bearings, wipers, bulbs, nct when it's required.

A service is not just changing the oil and filter and that on its own is cheap enough for a small car

The only saving is fuel but the whole battery rental and charging thing I'm not into

What battery rental ?

I doubt the led bulbs will wear out in a hurry. Though the MK 1.5 has halogens in the front and the led optional. afaik it has led in the rear.

Suspensions can give problems of course. Though I wouldn't have though much would go wrong in 100,000 miles.

Our Prius has about 110K miles no suspension problems our B6 A4 had no suspension problems at all after 200,000 miles not as much as a squeak or knock and the shocks were not bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Insurance was cheaper just paid €260 for the year

• Advertisement

so CNBC is an anti-ev news source . And Im not allowed to reference a US website with US statistics when were talking about a US story of a car in the US for you to make your case .

I give up mate , this isnt worth my time. Also what happens your figures when on street charging stops being free (which will happen).

I was making the calculations on fuel saved based in Euro's depreciation or whatever in the U.S is not relevant to the Irish market, the U.S pay a lot less for fuel and electricity and even cars than we do. You just used it to try and discredit the leaf and for no other reason.

also :
    Kia Rio . 16k new , ~8k at 5 years old (carzone average price for 2009 models) so 8 k in 5 years depreciation . New rio does 74mpg combined , So 100,000 miles is 5114 litres of fuel. 8182 euro worth of fuel at 1.60 a litre, so we'll call it 8k even just to simplify this and to account for lower prices a lot of the time. So far the rio is costing 16k for 5 years , 180x5 for road tax thats another 900 , so 16900 . Servicing we have http://www.jpdouglas.ie/web/kia-aftersales-cork-fxed-price-service/ offering a fixed price minor service for 167 (which is high) so 835 for servicing. 17735 total , we'll call for bulbs, a set of tyres and other expenses say 18200 for 5 years total. .

Kia rio does 74 mpg combined ? really can you show this ? I've heard people talk mpg figures to me about their diesels yet when I ask them to prove it they can't. I've shown photographic evidence that my Prius gets 60-64 mpg with me driving which is real usage but no one has been able to post figures over a full tank, just "oh I get xx on the motorway crap" no proof.

You're using mpg figures based on some NEDC test to concoct anti ev statements.

New leaf is 21k . At your 1.80 night charge rate it would cost 2400 euro over 1333 charges for 100k miles . well throw in 500 for a set of tyres and another 500 for bulbs, wipers and other bits as above and 120x 5 for road tax so thats 25000 over 5 years. that means that unless the resale value on a 5 year old leaf is over 6800 euro then its cheaper to buy the kia rio overall. We obviously dont have data to say how much a 5 year old leaf is worth but if the cnbc article is correct and it will only retain 37% of its value after 5 years then it should be valued around 7700 euro , so over 5 years the leaf is only 900 euro cheaper to own (excluding any other costs nissan have for battery checks or whatnot) . so for 180 euro a year I can pay to not have to stand around at a charger , and make it from dublin to cork in 1 go .

At 74 mpg the rio would consume 6144 litres not 5144 at a cost of 8,970 Euro's.

You're not including the leaf has a few grands worth of equipment as standard, for the MK 1.

Also it will cost 1250 for 100,000 miles at 9C/Kwh of night rate leccy. Not 2400 !

You try to compare a leaf to a cheaper car, but it's more comparable to a french car or Opel, for instance a 2011 Leaf costs more than a 2011 diesel astra with similar mileage meaning the french car or Opel has higher depreciation. And would most likely have cost the same.

So that makes the leaf even cheaper to own and run.

, actually after checking carzone The Leaf also costs a similar price to the 1.6 tdi golf dsg with similar mileage but the Leaf has much more kit as standard.

Advertisement