Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seattle Nissan Leaf Reaches 100,000 Miles !

Options
  • 14-12-2013 4:22pm

So I'll get right to the point, 100,000 miles and 20% loss of capacity, 0 faults. so the car that got 75 miles average new now gets 60. Some can get more miles.

This is in Seattle Washington, a climate not too far off from ours.

I will add that that reading was done at 4 C and the battery needs to be at 20 C to get an accurate reading so it could be anywhere between a 15-20% loss.

There is an event being held to celebrate the event as Nissan will be there and I'll post a link when I find one.

100,000 miles based on a 45 mpg car has saved 10,104 litres of fuel of €15,661 worth of petrol/diesel. More saved if you get less mpg.

No service required apart from yearly battery check, tyre rotation. So say 100 every 10,000 miles for a normal car.

Then possibly timing belt replaced for a lot of cars.

So the Leaf requires an "inspection" and "tyre rotation" once a year and a so called battery check for about 100 Euro's, not mileage dependant afaik, leaf owners please confirm ?

So over 20K miles a year you still need one inspection V 2 services on a car, so we'll say 100 Euro per 20K miles saved on servicing, or 500 Euro's over 100,000 miles and 350 saved on a timing belt 350 + for some cars.

Cost of leccy on night rate would be around €1,260 not including free public charging/fast charging etc.

So 15,660 on Fuel - 1,260 in leccy =14,400 Euro's +500 on service + 350 Timing belt = 15,250 saved over ice car. Excluding whatever saving over motor tax. Add another 1400 saving over a 1.4 petrol on the old system. Maybe similar on the new.

Please, no Anti EV brigade usual time wasting, trolling, Thread hijacking comments.

Note to Boards.ie. A dedicated EV forum would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

1333 charges to 100% to get all that mileage . Probably did more 30 minute lite charges so we wont count it all at the 6.6kw 4 hour charge time . Lets call it 2.5 hours per charge (to factor in the 30 minute charger use) thats 3332.5 hours or 138.8 whole days off the road while its charging.

Also electric cars are the fastest depreciating (http://www.cnbc.com/id/101211631) . Its good to see your enthusiasm and the story is a good one to note. But buying an electric car will not save you 15k over 100,000 miles over an equivalent model year and catagory ICE vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Lets call it 2.5 hours per charge (to factor in the 30 minute charger use) thats 3332.5 hours or 138.8 whole days off the road while its charging.

I'm usually in bed while it's charging (off peak lecky)

1333 charges to 100% to get all that mileage . Probably did more 30 minute lite charges so we wont count it all at the 6.6kw 4 hour charge time . Lets call it 2.5 hours per charge (to factor in the 30 minute charger use) thats 3332.5 hours or 138.8 whole days off the road while its charging.

This is just plain ridiculous ! Really anyone with any form of common sense will know you charge the car when it's not being used.
    Also electric cars are the fastest depreciating (http://www.cnbc.com/id/101211631) . Its good to see your enthusiasm and the story is a good one to note. But buying an electric car will not save you 15k over 100,000 miles over an equivalent model year and catagory ICE vehicle

If you're going to source an article, then at least find a source relevant to the Irish market and not some anti EV website relevant to the U.S market.

20K -22K for a Leaf on carzone ? Doesn't depreciate more than any other Nissan ?

A German car will always carry a premium because of the badge.

I see 1.6 diesel golf's for around the same price with maybe a 1-2K premium because of the badge.

I see Opel Astra's cheaper and probably French cars too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Feel sorry for the poor sod who had his soul drained for 100,000 miles.

Grim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

The biggest issue with electric cars is the range. so until the likes of graphene is used in batteries which will be a while yet I cant see them take off. with a range of 100 km or whatever it just doesnt suit people and I know you can quick charge them but who wants to stop and wait around. If you decide you want to drive 300 km tomorrow in a normal petrol diesel car you can get in and go where as with a leaf you have to plan ahead and located charging points not to mention all the wasted time waiting for the car to charge. People dont want to have to plan ahead. With irish people Id imagine the fear of the unknown stops alot of people they want to stick to what they know. in saying all that when they first came out they were 30k euro now there 22k euro so that is a big drop and they are becoming more affordable. there is no doubt is you dont mind the inconvenience of all the charging and planning ahead one can definitely save a huge amount of money with them.

• Advertisement

Bpmull wrote: »
    The biggest issue with electric cars is the range.

I would say the greatest issue is the fact ice cars are still affordable and people are more than willing to pay for petrol and diesel.

Those who would benefit most are those who find it hard to make ends meat and the 20-30 a week in petrol is very hard to come by. Unfortunately for the less well off it will be some time before they can get a Leaf for 2-3K.

100,000 miles is a lot of miles to clock up in just 2 years. Or maybe he had it more, not fully sure yet. Either way it's a lot.

Sure more range would be nice, however there should be a balance, you don't need a 500 mile diesel because refill times are short and you don't drive 500 miles a day. So electric cars need 150-200 miles max with much faster recharge times.

What people don't realise is that just a 5 min fast charge may all people need to go that extra few miles to get home. And for the few times a year that the leaf may not be suitable, rent or borrow a ice car.

There are many people who drive to the Luas park and rides and who can charge up in some of them such as the red Cow and Sandyford. If I were to work near the Sandyford Luas stop I could do 100-140 miles a day easily. And the return trip for now would be free.

Bpmull wrote: »
    The biggest issue with electric cars is the range. so until the likes of graphene is used in batteries which will be a while yet I cant see them take off. with a range of 100 km or whatever it just doesnt suit people and I know you can quick charge them but who wants to stop and wait around. If you decide you want to drive 300 km tomorrow in a normal petrol diesel car you can get in and go where as with a leaf you have to plan ahead and located charging points not to mention all the wasted time waiting for the car to charge. People dont want to have to plan ahead. With irish people Id imagine the fear of the unknown stops alot of people they want to stick to what they know. in saying all that when they first came out they were 30k euro now there 22k euro so that is a big drop and they are becoming more affordable. there is no doubt is you dont mind the inconvenience of all the charging and planning ahead one can definitely save a huge amount of money with them.

I agree. It's down to your needs, if I was doing 200 km a day, I'd find it a pain in the erse. I'm doing 115 a day and the Mrs has an ICE for our longer journeys so it suits. In fairness though, very rarely do we need to use hers.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is there an electric mpv available. That surely is the obvious market.
    In 2 car families, if they are forced to buy a diesel mpv for the school run , an electric second car will not suit as a commuter car in most cases.

mickdw wrote: »
    Is there an electric mpv available. That surely is the obvious market.
    In 2 car families, if they are forced to buy a diesel mpv for the school run , an electric second car will not suit as a commuter car in most cases.

Dunno you can do around 130km on a charge. That would suit most commutes..

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Dunno you can do around 130km on a charge. That would suit most commutes..

And that range can almost double with the fast chargers and general on street or Luas parking, work charging etc.

As I said earlier a 5 min fast charge may all some need to get the few extra miles home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

A full charge would be about 1.80 on night rate leccy.

This post has been deleted.
    Free from garages etc
    Home is around €2.20 for a full charge 0-100%.....roughly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Quick question to see if a "leaf" would work for me.

I commute from rural meath to Dublin City Centre (off nassua st. - I have company parking). Its about 69kms each way --- so say 140km round trip

Is the range of the leaf independent of what is switched on in the car? For example, this week in winter time I have
    - dipped lights
    - wipers/heater etc

Does the range assume any passengers ? Sometimes in the summer, I carpool with two other lads

Would the leaf work for me ?

It's around 1.80-2.0 euros depends on who you leccy provider is.

Don't forget you can get tesco vouchers to put towards your leccy bill !

A 10 euro voucher is worth about 350 miles ,

Could you give me your route kyote00?

kyote00 wrote: »
    Quick question to see if a "leaf" would work for me.

I commute from rural meath to Dublin City Centre (off nassua st. - I have company parking). Its about 69kms each way --- so say 140km round trip

Is the range of the leaf independent of what is switched on in the car? For example, this week in winter time I have
    - dipped lights
    - wipers/heater etc

Does the range assume any passengers ? Sometimes in the summer, I carpool with two other lads

Would the leaf work for me ?

Not without a charge in between.

But the heater makes the greatest difference, the lights wouldn't make any noticeable difference as they're led. Even halogen lamps wouldn't make a noticeable difference.

Cold also effects the battery.

Winter range can be 60 miles or less depending on how hard you drive or if you're one of those people who drives in their t-shirt with the heat on full blast.

I find that a lot of the time my jacket and a woolly hat keeps me warm enough in a car as anything else effects my sinus, and I don't really feel the cold much.

The MK 1.5 leaf has an optional and highly recommended more efficient heat pump and 6.6 kw charger.

Home enfield - rural roads : 10km
    m4 enfield to kilhamham : 50km
    city roads to nassua st : 10km
    Could you give me your route kyote00?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

EV's are an obvious choice for the hardcore commuter, but I've gotta wonder if encouraging/enabling this kind of commuting is a positive thing overall.

Since the next logical step is the automated commute, I have to wonder about the larger impact on society and the commuter belt.

thanks. what about passengers ?
    Not without a charge in between.

But the heater makes the greatest difference, the lights wouldn't make any noticeable difference as they're led. Even halogen lamps wouldn't make a noticeable difference.

Cold also effects the battery.

Winter range can be 60 miles or less depending on how hard you drive or if you're one of those people who drives in their t-shirt with the heat on full blast.

I find that a lot of the time my jacket and a woolly hat keeps me warm enough in a car as anything else effects my sinus, and I don't really feel the cold much.

The MK 1.5 leaf has an optional and highly recommended more efficient heat pump and 6.6 kw charger.

• Advertisement

Home enfield - rural roads : 10km
    m4 enfield to kilhamham : 50km
    city roads to nassua st : 10km
    Doesn't seem to be any FC close by to you apart from The M4 chargers, but they'd be no use to because of they're positioning. Maybe you should wait until some more come online. As Mad Lad said earlier, you'd only need a 5min top up..

A little difference but I wouldn't say much. Speed is the main culprit, followed by heater. The ideal speed is around 90km/h
    Check out charge points at the ESB ecars with their app

I would say it would take 2-3 adults to make any noticeable difference, heavy stop start traffic would have the greatest impact with more weight in the car and lots of hills.

Once up to speed it shouldn't make any great difference though I've no personal experience with this.

I would say you'd need more than a 5 min charge to replace 20-30 miles on a fast charger ?

A little difference but I wouldn't say much. Speed is the main culprit, followed by heater. The ideal speed is around 90km/h
    Check out charge points at the ESB ecars with their app

110 kph shouldn't be a problem with fast charging ?

Don't forget cruise control isn't efficient, cruise maintains speed by keeping increasing speed where required. The most efficient way to drive is a steady throttle position, the result of that would be you'd slow down on hills etc.

Leaf owners should buy the Bluetooth adapter and the leaf spy app to get a real idea of the condition of their battery and also the real reserve left in the battery.

The dash range indicator terrifies people unnecessarily .

Works with android only afaik, but any cheap,phone or tablet will do. It's an essential tool if you ask me !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

When they have lecky cars that can do a few days commuting between charges, super quick charges and decent performance then ill buy one.

And the money I save will buy me a Red 1199, or maybe a ZX10 humm :D

When they have lecky cars that can do a few days commuting between charges, super quick charges and decent performance then ill buy one.

And the money I save will buy me a Red 1199, or maybe a ZX10 humm :D

kwackerJack, do you go to bed at night? No need to wait a couple of days...
    Super quick is nearly here........
    I'd say I'd beat you off at the lights withe instant torque. Granted our top speed is only 130/140

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Bandara wrote: »
    Feel sorry for the poor sod who had his soul drained for 100,000 miles.

Grim.

I'm sure hes laughing all the way to the bank

I'm sure hes laughing all the way to the bank

Indeed and especially considering you can lease a leaf for 200 a month in the U.S.

The leaf was 10,000 euros cheaper in the U.S than the E.U when it came out first, that old VAT you see. It's still a fair bit cheaper.

• Advertisement

kwackerJack, do you go to bed at night? No need to wait a couple of days...
    Super quick is nearly here........
    I'd say I'd beat you off at the lights withe instant torque. Granted our top speed is only 130/140

Ah I'd say plugging in a leaf would be too complicated a task for some ! :pac:

Advertisement