Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 19 - Penn, Edgar + Pendred & Fields! **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I wouldn't be too harsh on Cathal. He got into a bit of a brawl in the first round and was losing the fight, but adapted for the next two and controled the fight. He did what he needed to win and although it wasn't terribly exciting, it's the sign of an intelligent fighter. I'm sure we will see a more polished performance from him next time out.

I like that he said he was in it for himself too. Every season of TUF you get the "I'm doing this for my kid, I'm doing this for my dead dad" cheesefest from most fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I thought it was a good performance, Urbina looked decent and Pendred was dominant in the end. It must have been very frustrating dealing with the ground-touching game that was going on. Urbina spent the whole fight trying to get him disqualified with that which must be tough to be up against.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

I thought it was a good performance, Urbina looked decent and Pendred was dominant in the end. It must have been very frustrating dealing with the ground-touching game that was going on. Urbina spent the whole fight trying to get him disqualified with that which must be tough to be up against.

Yeah that was a bit s**t of Urbina cause he knew he was beat and gassed from the start of the 2nd round.

Did anyone see the end of last week episode where Dana and the coaches were going mad about someone being docked a point. I was convinced Cathal was going to get a point taken from him all the way to the last second!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

cahawl did excellently after being hit hard in the first round.. a lot if not most fighters would've been finished at that point. That's more impressive to me then finishing an easier oponent. That guy was no slouch. He'll benefit from the training before his next fight and hopefully get the finish! I actually liked his spinning hook kick attempt even though it was mis-timed slightly... wasn't that far off and that sh1t can drop ya through your guard. Really looking forward to the rest of this season. Oh and he's a beast at 185 I hope he can stay away from food enough til his next scrap - it's gotta be so easy for him to hit 220 if the focus slips. Cmon Ireland !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Official video of the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Glad i wasn't the only one to notice the only way Hector thought he could win the fight was to get Cathal DQ'd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

That tuneless olé olé olé...dear God!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

Good solid first fight,his fitness got him through!maybe a good eye opener for him that the tuf isn't going to be an easy route into the ufc. Great he got a win under his belt now he can learn while others are fighting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Good solid first fight,his fitness got him through!maybe a good eye opener for him that the tuf isn't going to be an easy route into the ufc. Great he got a win under his belt now he can learn while others are fighting

Cardio helped him a lot ya. Man is he big even for 185... Haven't seen any of his CW fights, he must manhandle the guys in that weight class.

He seems like he relies a lot on his size for wrestling though and took some damage in that fight. I would like to see him vs a good striker with good counter wrestling and TDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

Pendred left his chin hanging in there in that fight, and would have been put away by a better fighter. Luckily his opponent gassed out.

Fighting first for him is a bonus as he can recover and train up, but I fail to see how he will win this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thought it was brilliant the way cathal just strolled out to the decking, ignored ubrina and started cooking a steak until ubrina got up and left :)

As for the fight, ubrina looked to have some proper ko power but between completely gassing and that keeping a hand on the ground, I'm glad he got man handled to defeat. Cathal seems to be making waves with his controversial views on the preacher and fields oooooooohhhhh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Lacking ideas?? He was obviously a round down after 1. He needed to win the next two rounds aftdr which he did. What ideas should he of come up with. His game plan worked.

Almost getting knocked out cold in the first round of the TUF he was strong favourite to win (not anymore you can bet) was really part of the game plan i bet.

Cathal went out there in the first round and done what all extremely naive MMA fighters in the past have done, by trying to get in a brawl in order to be exciting. It spectacularly backfired as his striking was terrible and he got hit way too easily, resulting in him nearly being permanently overlooked by the UFC. It would have been smart to tire Urbina out with grappling then try to finish him. It took the first round for him to do what he does best and grind fighters down, but he done absolutely no damage with his control at all.

If he fights like that again he will be going home. I will put a lot of it down to the burden on him to impress, but he won't impress anyone getting knocked out so he better smarten up for the next fight. I was impressed with his calmness and mental toughness before fights though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Davei141 wrote: »
    Almost getting knocked out cold in the first round of the TUF he was strong favourite to win (not anymore you can bet) was really part of the game plan i bet.

Cathal went out there in the first round and done what all extremely naive MMA fighters in the past have done, by trying to get in a brawl in order to be exciting. It spectacularly backfired as his striking was terrible and he got hit way too easily, resulting in him nearly being permanently overlooked by the UFC. It would have been smart to tire Urbina out with grappling then try to finish him. It took the first round for him to do what he does best and grind fighters down, but he done absolutely no damage with his control at all.

If he fights like that again he will be going home. I will put a lot of it down to the burden on him to impress, but he won't impress anyone getting knocked out so he better smarten up for the next fight. I was impressed with his calmness and mental toughness before fights though

Agree completely,some positives to take out of it though but unless he becomes more agressive on top he wont last in this season of tuf or the ufc.
    History has shown you don't have to win the show to impress or make a good career with the ufc.But u have to finish fights,laying and praying gets you cut unless you can win every single fight which isn't likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

That tuneless olé olé olé...dear God!
    I'm a kid of the late 80's/early 90's and I appreciate the chant for what it was at the time, but when you're starting that chant when an irish guy is fighting (I assume) a spanish speaking Mexican, it's just plain weird to me. Who are you chanting for? It appears as if it was Chris who got them started? It's kind of cringey watching it.
    sheehy83 wrote: »
    Cathal seems to be making waves with his controversial views on the preacher and fields oooooooohhhhh :D
    I doubt that will endear himself to the American audience? There has been a surge in fighters recently who are fighting on 'the side of god'/'for god'/'with the help of god' etc and they seem to get quite the following in the states. If he goes about it the wrong way he could find himself the villain over there soon enough. I hope not.
    (I understand that that conversation it for another thread/forum though)

As far as the fight, I think the Cathal definitely lost the first with the punches he took that knocked him to the floor.
    The second, he dominated much like the third but he completely lacked any ideas once he had wrestled him to the ground and had his head tied up. It was crying out for a submission attempt or choke. He had the position to allow him to do it but never went for it. It was frustrating to watch. Urbina was waiting to get Cathal DQ'd and thankfully it never got to that.

Cathal's wrestling seems really good but once he's wrestled them to the floor he seems to lack that next step to make him a finisher.

Would absolutely LOVE for him to kick on from this and improve on his weaknesses.

I doubt that will endear himself to the American audience? There has been a surge in fighters recently who are fighting on 'the side of god'/'for god'/'with the help of god' etc and they seem to get quite the following in the states. If he goes about it the wrong way he could find himself the villain over there soon enough. I hope not.
    (I understand that that conversation it for another thread/forum though)

I thought that was great when he called out the complete hypocrisy of being a supposed man of god (being humble) and walking around with more gold than a flash in the pan rapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

I agree, it was open for a submission attempt numerous times. He had the front headlock applied and when he had him on the ground it seemed he could have spun quite easily to take the back. However the main thing for the first fight is to get the win. He weathered the first round and then applied a game plan in the next two to get the win. With 4 weeks of training under BJ and Co. plus the fact he will be the freshest semi finalist he can hopefully put on a more dynamic performance to get both a win and impress the UFC brass.

Considering he could easily take Urbina down a bit of aggression on the ground wouldn't go amiss. Urbina looked like the type of fighter that would be made quit with any half decent sub attempt, considering he spent 2 rounds of the fight lying there doing nothing but trying to get Pendred DQ'd. Urbina's mindset was terrible before the fight too, the complete opposite to Pendred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

I was really looking forward to seeing Pendred fight after all the talk, he looked sluggish, not very fit and kept looking for the upper-cut KO. It's safe to say that anyone in the top15 in his div in the ufc wouldn't have too much trouble with him.

I think a lot of irish mma fans have tried to visualise him as another conor mcgregor, Pendred is not in that league unfortunately.

I hope he learns a lot under BJ and he does his best to get through the comp. It'd be great to have another Irish fighter on the Dublin card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I really feel that people are underestimating the difference fighting middle weights when you are a welter makes

I really feel that people are underestimating the difference fighting middle weights when you are a welter makes

Considering he was obviously stronger than Urbina (Not to mention looked absolutely ****ing huge) that is a pretty weak excuse for a poor performance. Fighting at MW didn't mean he had to get involved in a sloppy brawl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Davei141 wrote: »
    Considering he was obviously stronger than Urbina (Not to mention looked absolutely ****ing huge) that is a pretty weak excuse for a poor performance. Fighting at MW didn't mean he had to get involved in a sloppy brawl.

What was poor?? It was a safe performance after he got rocked, do not mistake that for poor

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Considering he was nearly knocked out in the first round I thought he did brilliant. He played it smart, he could have tried to make it look better but his main goal is to get into the UFC. He definitely needs to work on his BJJ. His reputation seems to have great weight in the house, he's got a lot of respect from the other fighters. 1 more win and he's in the finale!

What was poor?? It was a safe performance after he got rocked, do not mistake that for poor

Are you even reading the posts? I am saying he should have stuck to what he does best from the start, instead he almost got sent packing from the UFC forever by a guy who was last pick, by getting involved in a brawl. If you don't think that is poor fair enough, i hope his coaches and Cathal himself disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JojoD51

I agree, wasn't the best fight but I think being the first to fight in the house would bring a lot of pressure. And I would love to know what the training felt like in the Las Vegas air, I would think it would take a while to get used to. Also Cathal can probably see his weaknesses from that fight and worked on them considering the fight was 6 months ago!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

In my uneducated opinion, I don't think his fight was that bad. His stand up was sloppy and his corner informed him after round 1. He went into rounds 2 & 3 with a new game plan. Not everyone can adopt and implement a change in pace like that.

It wasn't the prettiest way to win the fight but he knew that it would secure the W.

Look forward to seeing him progress and grow as a fighter in the house and outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Not a great fight but was impressed with him taking them shots and surviving.

Seems like a nice fella though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

C'mon Ka'thaul!

Great fight, and I think the best part about the episode was how much airtime Cathal got. That means he's either; (a) a finalist, (b) an evil Irish villain, or (c) a hell of a good story. Each one is very good for Cathal Pendred. I'd say more than likely (a) because:

1. He was able to manhandle a wrestler who they showed us was targeting takedowns. Like a child.

2. No high-school wrestler tires easy, but the first round was fking brutal. Urbina wore it. Cathal looked fresh when the final bell rang. That was seriously impressive considering the size he was. When I saw how big he was at the weigh-ins I immediately thought he'd fade faster and lose his advantage, but hell no. He had the science perfect.

3. Like a child.

4. He was out. For sure.

5. Every fighter that goes into the TUF house leaves a much better one. I genuinely think that SBG are going to be the #1 gym in Europe for years, and John Kavanagh is going to become an MMA Dali fking Lama if his fighters keep winning like they are, mainly cause of the wildly creative (and so far very successful) variety in already unique styles, but I do think a new training camp would be good for Cathal. A camp where wrestlers and MMA boxers who train wrestlers get to show him how people who wrestle move in the standup. I think he has this fking inhuman strength that only an extremely qualified wrestler can truly hone. And he said he wants to learn, which is good, cause he'll have gotten truckloads of what he needs over there. So he'll get better every time we see him.

6. Seriously, like a child. I've never seen a UFC fighter able to fend off trips, rolls and submission attempts as easily, and from a wrestler. (Even if he's not that qualified, wrestling is his base, so he has to be strong.) People must be realising that Cathal's strength is super-human and must be afraid of his potential. He's 25.

7. He's a fking welter weight. What?

8. BJ Penn will more than likely drill into him the; (i) D'arce, (ii) Anaconda, (iii) Peruvian Neck Tie, and (iv) Standing Guillotine, which could make him invincible at WW. I'm sure John already has, but if BJ Penn is telling you ...

9. Child.

Yeah, so I think X. he is going to the finale, Y. that he could be Mr X this year, and Z.

He had so much airtime because he was fighting, both fighters on each episode get the majority of airtime

Another thing, when he wins this whole thing and gets the contract will he drop back to WW?

I like him and all but he's gonna get mauled by the UFC MW's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

He got so much airtime because he was fighting that episode. That's what they do every episode, whoever's fighting they focus on them two. He won't get as much airtime anymore until his semi final fight, unless he stirs contreversy.

Advertisement