Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 19 - Penn, Edgar + Pendred & Fields! **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

scudzilla wrote: »
    He had so much airtime because he was fighting, both fighters on each episode get the majority of airtime

A little one sided though, wasn't it?

Right to the final whistle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

C'mon Ka'thaul!

Great fight, and I think the best part about the episode was how much airtime Cathal got. That means he's either; (a) a finalist, (b) an evil Irish villain, or (c) a hell of a good story. Each one is very good for Cathal Pendred. I'd say more than likely (a) because:

1. He was able to manhandle a wrestler who they showed us was targeting takedowns. Like a child.

2. No high-school wrestler tires easy, but the first round was fking brutal. Urbina wore it. Cathal looked fresh when the final bell rang. That was seriously impressive considering the size he was. When I saw how big he was at the weigh-ins I immediately thought he'd fade faster and lose his advantage, but hell no. He had the science perfect.

3. Like a child.

4. He was out. For sure.

5. Every fighter that goes into the TUF house leaves a much better one. I genuinely think that SBG are going to be the #1 gym in Europe for years, and John Kavanagh is going to become an MMA Dali fking Lama if his fighters keep winning like they are, mainly cause of the wildly creative (and so far very successful) variety in already unique styles, but I do think a new training camp would be good for Cathal. A camp where wrestlers and MMA boxers who train wrestlers get to show him how people who wrestle move in the standup. I think he has this fking inhuman strength that only an extremely qualified wrestler can truly hone. And he said he wants to learn, which is good, cause he'll have gotten truckloads of what he needs over there. So he'll get better every time we see him.

6. Seriously, like a child. I've never seen a UFC fighter able to fend off trips, rolls and submission attempts as easily, and from a wrestler. (Even if he's not that qualified, wrestling is his base, so he has to be strong.) People must be realising that Cathal's strength is super-human and must be afraid of his potential. He's 25.

7. He's a fking welter weight. What?

8. BJ Penn will more than likely drill into him the; (i) D'arce, (ii) Anaconda, (iii) Peruvian Neck Tie, and (iv) Standing Guillotine, which could make him invincible at WW. I'm sure John already has, but if BJ Penn is telling you ...

9. Child.

Yeah, so I think X. he is going to the finale, Y. that he could be Mr X this year, and Z.

I hope even 1 or 2 of your points are proved right,and as much as i can see potential given he's normally a ww there's a way to go yet ,but for sure given he's fighting at mw it's impressive to look strong .
    Though his top game need's more aggression coz he's never gonna be a stand up fighter like conor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Cathal was terrible.

Could have easily been stopped in the first round and did absolutely nothing but lay and pray in rounds 2 and 3.
    I'm surprised the ref didn't stand them up as he was doing zero damage or attempting subs

His stand up is woeful too.

Anyways I know he has to sign a confidentiality clause but I'm sure it's an open secret in Dublin MMA how he did on the show.

himself and Fields talking about how the Irish are "bred to fight" and "born fighters" is bloody nauseating too.

as far as i can see in history we've only had success hiding in the shadows planting bombs in civilian pubs and shopping areas, shooting Englishmen in their beds, massacring soldiers trying to surrender, burning people alive in barracks, and other such pussy guerilla tactics.
    Hardly "bred warriors" now in fairness.
    ok we do alright in the Olympic boxing but when they turn pro they generally get nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Cathal was terrible.

Could have easily been stopped in the first round and did absolutely nothing but lay and pray in rounds 2 and 3.
    I'm surprised the ref didn't stand them up as he was doing zero damage.

Anyways I know he has to sign a confidentiality clause but I'm sure it's an open secret in Dublin MMA how he did on the show.

Well he got to the semis is all I know. Which usually gets another fight at least. Do you know something I don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Cathal has been saying for some time since he came back that he definitely will fight in the UFC. Might be hinting that he's made the final at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Him saying he'll fight in the UFC means sod all.

With the UFC coming to Ireland in July, all he has to do on TUF is not get booted out and he'll get a fight on the prelims of that show. Even if he had been dominated in that first fight he'd still probably have got at least a one shot deal in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Something that no one seems to have mentioned yet, and bothered me a little watching the show.....Penn game-planned this fight for Cathal to keep the fight standing and use dirty boxing in the clinch. He seemed to be discouraging Cathal from looking for takedowns for fear of him losing potential scrambles against the "wrestler". I know he may not have seen much of Cathal at the time but I feel he should have known enough to know that Cathal's wrestling is his strength and is very strong by any standards, not just Irish / Western European standards. Someone here mentioned earlier that it took the poor first round for Cathal to do what he does best. Maybe the fact that he didnt want to completely disregard his coaches instructions played into this? I know, I'm sure his coaches didn't instruct him to have sloppy hands and stick his chin out, but they should know where his strengths lie and back him to play to his strengths rather than trying to avoid his opponents supposed strengths.

Cathal was terrible.

I'm surprised the ref didn't stand them up as he was doing zero damage or attempting subs

himself and Fields talking about how the Irish are "bred to fight" and "born fighters" is bloody nauseating too.

as far as i can see in history we've only had success hiding in the shadows planting bombs in civilian pubs and shopping areas, shooting Englishmen in their beds, massacring soldiers trying to surrender, burning people alive in barracks, and other such pussy guerilla tactics.
    ok we do alright in the Olympic boxing but when they turn pro they generally get nowhere.

He wasn't terrible man he showed a lot of heart, he showed great grappling skills. Granted if he doesn't move his head like and takes shots from someone with some real power he won't last long but he's young, great attitude, and seems to have a good base of skills.

Any your anti irish sentiments above well your just an overall real positive guy aren't you? 19 seasons before we get an irishman on TUF and all you can do is be a neggo and write horrible stuff about your countrymen. Perhaps you should consider declaring for the queen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cathal was terrible.

I was with you until this crock of embarrassing horse sh*te.

I wish him the greatest success of course. But his fights have always been boring, this is no secret. However he gets the job done and best of luck to him with it.

Yes its an open secret how the rest of the show goes for him, and I'm not giving feck all away here either.

Best of luck to the lad, I hope he has a very bright future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mod: This type of crap has absolutely nothing to do with mma and has no place in this forum. Keep that stuff to yourself in future. Any more posts like this will see you banned from the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Where/why do people get off on hating people over the Internet? Sure, I get the anti-being-a-rabid-and-worshiping-fan-thing. I don't know Cathal. I don't really know him. He seems like a cool dude, but that's as much as I can say.

As for the fight, yes, his standup looked shoddy, but he pulled it topgether for the second and third and did well for himself. Solid cardio for a guy his size and good wrestling. A bit lay and pray-ee but that does tend to his be his style.

He is young and can surely improve. Isn't that what TUF is all about? Developing young talent?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Enjoyed the fight. First time seeing Pendred fight and thought he took a few needless risks. It's clear he had the strength advantage and should've worn Ubrina down in the 1st round.

Penn wanted him to stand and Cathal wanted to impress given that he didn't get to in the prelims to get into the house.
    Almost backfired but he has some serious heart and strength after taking some good clean shots early on.

Clearly played to his strengths in RD2 and RD3 and dominated position.

Hopefully he kicks on a bit and given that he was the first fighter, he has plenty of time to really get to grips with new techniques that will hopefully benefit him throughout the show.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Well he got to the semis is all I know. Which usually gets another fight at least. Do you know something I don't?

Seriously? Why would you post this? Yea the title states spoilers but it applies to episodes that have aired.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Seriously? Why would you post this? Yea the title states spoilers but it applies to episodes that have aired.

Because it's simple maths. 8 fighters in the Middleweights, Cathal is in the next round, which will be 4 fighters, which in other words is the Semi's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Cathal's wrestling is so good, plus the rest he'll have from being the first fighter, I think it's easy to see him winning his weight class.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Cathal was terrible.

He wasn't particularly impressive as the rest of the fighters there obviously seem to feel he's the favourite to win that weight-class. That said he got rocked badly in the first round but recovered to dominate rounds 2 and 3. In itself that was quite impressive as a lot of fighters would have folded at that point.

As for the rest of your nonsense I don't know what to say. Some issues going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Just saw the fight for the first time. I hope that first round knockdown was the reason for cathals performance. Yes he won and dominated, but he didn't do much apart from a few nice takedowns. Did absolutely nothing on the ground except hold a gassed hector. No damage, and when they stood up it was the same thing except for a few sloppy knees.
    Thought it was quite funny when cathal asked the ref to tell him when when hectors hand was on the mat

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think people are missing a lot of context here. Hector had a strong wrestling background here. He got lucky with a strike that stunned Cathal, that's about all that happened. Cathal needed good TD defense to force him to turtle so much. It wasn't a case that Cathal was doing nothing from the top. I'd fairly confidant that he knows D'arce, anaconda etc. Hector knew what he was doing in turtle. His sit out escape was very nice in the 3rd. When stuck there he was constantly evading the sub when looking for the escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Don't want to go off topic but Cathal rescued a baby dolphin today. Legend! :D

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Don't want to go off topic but Cathal rescued a baby dolphin today. Legend! :D

Something fishy about that.

<_<

>_>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Something fishy about that.

On a scale of one to ten I'd say you floundered with that joke, I'd put you in tenth plaice.

On a scale of one to ten I'd say you floundered with that joke, I'd put you in tenth plaice.

You must be coddin me. That was, without a trout, the best fish pun you'll hear to-ray.

I think I should close my account after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lads, stop derailing the thread.

It's like you're doing it on porpoise!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Lads, stop derailing the thread.

It's like you're doing it on porpoise!

Other people have a right to post their opinions here.
    Don't be so shellfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Oh my cod.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Could you lot speak up please? My herring is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Stop being so damn shellfish looking for thanks' and get back on topic!

Word on the street is that Sean salmon, Sean shark and Curtis trout are making a ufc comeback soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

All of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

• Advertisement

All of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

I'm struggling to see how that relates to fish???

Advertisement