Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Any fancies for the open golf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

BumperD wrote: »
    Any fancies for the open golf?

I wouldn't put you off Kuchar or Dustin Johnson. In fact I couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

Bubba Watson for me @ 40-1 and Jiminez to lead at the end of the first round @80-1.

The open takes place on my doorstep this year. Off there on Thursday. Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Big Phil seems to be the one a lot of lads like, I might have a twist on him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Angel Cabrera to lead after 1st round is my only bet at the moment.

• Advertisement

I stuck on these (less than 50 staked).
    Lowery ew 100\1 - carries 15ew and the rest split between this shower of hackers
    Jimenez ew 90\1.
    Tiger win 22\1
    Mickleson win 25\1 I think
    Stadler ew 175\1
    Paddy Harrington 125\1
    Chris wood 140\1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

Have done charles swartzel @ 50s. Lowery at 100 and ryan palmer at 150s. All ew pp 7 places. All good stats this year for driving gir and putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Bubba's my human Fugue. Must have backed him 4 (losing) times and watched him hack up in 2 Masters. Stenson @ 16/1 is the one I like. Not the greatest price in the world but he's ultra consistent, has the game for it and with Paddy Power going 7 places I'm happy to play each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭droidman123

I havnt a clue about golf and never had a bet on it...so, this year I am going to have a small ew for an interest. can someone give me a decent ew punt please? I,m looking for at least 80/1 or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

I havnt a clue about golf and never had a bet on it...so, this year I am going to have a small ew for an interest. can someone give me a decent ew punt please? I,m looking for at least 80/1 or thereabouts.

Nick Faldo @ 2500/1. Can't for the life of me understand the price. Serious record for a young lad, he has. :D

• Advertisement

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Nick Faldo @ 2500/1. Can't for the life of me understand the price. Serious record for a young lad, he has. :D

haha well I,m not that naïve about the game jim:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Mannassero probably a decent long shot for an e/w bet

Don't know much about golf either but its links and some players are suited, others not so. Irish do well Harrington, McDowell? Clarke winning it, as they play a lot of links golf as amateurs. Links are near the coast so if the wind gets up, it might not suit the yanks who are used to playing in 80 degrees with perfect weather. Add in rain and sometimes they just dislike it and chuck in the towel. Links drain quicker so the ball runs further on the fairway and on the green. It was sunny and dry so one would expect lightning fast conditions but I see rain now in the forecast for Liverpool if my mobile app is correct. If its chucking it down and windy, expect players who are used to playing in those conditions to rise to the top. Which brings me back to the Irish . they were conceived in these conditions. They are used to crap weather and might handle the conditions if it chucks it down. So Lowery 100\1 7 places might be a worth a euro ew of your precious weissbier loot. But I don't know as much as the other lads here so take my advice with a bit of caution :)

Also, if your having a bet. Wait until the tee times are out wednesday and check the weather, ie if its fine Thursday morning, and your player has an early tee time, you may post a good round whereas if the wind is due to pick up pm and your guy tees off at 1pm, then the afternoon scores may be poor compared to the advantage the guys had Thurs am etc. Hope this makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

The tee times have been available on the Open website since Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Not sure what price Angel Cabrera is but he is Argie so that should be good enough ?

tomaussie wrote: »
    Not sure what price Angel Cabrera is but he is Argie so that should be good enough ?

Haha good point Tom.I actually might have a small e/w on him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Bateman wrote: »
    Big Phil seems to be the one a lot of lads like, I might have a twist on him

Wow - he's some man for 1 man!! No sooner does he leave the Brazil job then he's off to Hoylake for the golf. Will he have overcome his WC exertions in time for the first round though?
    jimjamcos wrote: »
    Bubba's my human Fugue. Must have backed him 4 (losing) times and watched him hack up in 2 Masters. Stenson @ 16/1 is the one I like. Not the greatest price in the world but he's ultra consistent, has the game for it and with Paddy Power going 7 places I'm happy to play each way.

Don't think Bubba has any chance at all. Hoylake not a long drivers course - remember Tiger only played driver once in 72 holes when winning in 2006. Can see Bubba missing the cut, in all honesty.

Stenson has a good chance though! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Sitting out in the garden enjoying a nice glass of vino, summoning up the energy to go inside and cook a steak for dinner. It's my reward for weeding some of the garden and getting sun burnt on my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

You learn something new every day, people are weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgcWpnvyZeA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

convert wrote: »
    Sitting out in the garden enjoying a nice glass of vino, summoning up the energy to go inside and cook a steak for dinner. It's my reward for weeding some of the garden and getting sun burnt on my back.

Your always eating steak. What recession?

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Does anyone know how to make it so that I don't get an e mail every time someone posts in a thread I have followed? I could unfollow them but it persists when I post in a new thread. Basically I want to prevent it from following any threads automatically

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Does anyone know how to make it so that I don't get an e mail every time someone posts in a thread I have followed? I could unfollow them but it persists when I post in a new thread. Basically I want to prevent it from following any threads automatically
    Within your user Control Panel, click on "Edit options"

Within "Messaging and notification" there is a "Default thread subscription mode"

Change this to "No e-mail notification"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

convert wrote: »

Any jobs Convert.

Your life isnt far off the last days of Rome ....

You learn something new every day, people are weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgcWpnvyZeA

I would be interested to hear what you googled to find that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

hucklebuck wrote: »
    I would be interested to hear what you googled to find that :)

While trying to find new documentaries, i youtube the trailers to see what there about. This one blew my mind(not in a good way).:)

This one blew my mind(not in a good way).:)

So that is where bellybuster came from.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Don't think Bubba has any chance at all. Hoylake not a long drivers course - remember Tiger only played driver once in 72 holes when winning in 2006. Can see Bubba missing the cut, in all honesty.

As anticipated ......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

Waiting a long time for Beau Michael to get his head in front since last year...I was pretty adamant the trigger was going to be pulled this Sunday in a race he won last year...HOWEVER I noticed the head gear he wears when he won the last 2 is not on. I noticed E Lalor
    Is on board last win was over a year a ago. I wonder if Richie is any relation (PM me if you are) I'd be interested if the handbrake is kept on Sunday with a view to galway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

ste2010 wrote: »
    I noticed E Lalor
    Is on board last win was over a year a ago. I wonder if Richie is any relation (PM me if you are) I'd be interested if the handbrake is kept on Sunday with a view to galway

Are their surnames not spelled differently? Also, I'm pretty sure Liz has won a point to point in the last season, so less than a year ago (i.e. at least since September).

Advertisement