Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gentlemen's essential possessions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

A V A wrote: »
    music(my ipod,i feel lost without it) and my auld one . . . . . . . . . .call me a soppy boll*x but id be in serious bother if it wasnt for that woman
    The power of some good music can never be understated

Otis Redding & Marvin Gaye will have you in better form going to & from work I find

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

D'Agger wrote: »
    The power of some good music can never be understated

Otis Redding & Marvin Gaye will have you in better form going to & from work I find

So will Skrillex.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

keane2097 wrote: »
    So will Skrillex.
    Sittin' on the dock of the saglkasdfl;jsdfkl;adgh;usadofh;isofj (Otis Redding ft. Skrillex) :pac:

Actually something that I've been looking to get is some decent linen - bed sheets, duvets, etc. while not an essential possession I'd imagine quite a few gents on here would appreciate a comfortable bed

If anybody has any recommendations on where I should look be sure to let me know :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If anybody has any recommendations on where I should look be sure to let me know :)

Aim for 500+ thread count. You will feel the difference. We stocked up on bed linen while in Florida. Egyptian cotton 680 thread, like heaven:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

A set of socket wrenches
    A torque wrench if you're the careful type
    A decent set of woodworking tools
    A set of cone wrenches
    Allen keys
    A decent knife

All of the above should be expensive enough to ensure a modicum of quality but not so expensive that you're afraid to use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SHANAbert

A decent pair of slippers for relaxing in front of the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A set of socket wrenches
    A torque wrench if you're the careful type
    A decent set of woodworking tools
    A set of cone wrenches
    Allen keys
    A decent knife

All of the above should be expensive enough to ensure a modicum of quality but not so expensive that you're afraid to use them.

Vice grips

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Aim for 500+ thread count. You will feel the difference. We stocked up on bed linen while in Florida. Egyptian cotton 680 thread, like heaven:D

Does thread count affect how warm they are or soft they are or...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭OU812

1200 thread count on a set I got in NYC ($60 in Macy's sale for 4 pillowcases, King duvet, flat sheet & fitted sheet), should have bought two sets, but they were so heavy !

Amazing comfort, like really really good hotel sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Haven't seen a vinyl player mentioned yet...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

keane2097 wrote: »
    Does thread count affect how warm they are or soft they are or...?

Both I suppose. Imagine the really thiick sheets you get in a hotel compared to the cheapest Penny's set. They wear alot better than the cheaper sets too and don't bauble (is that a word?).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

OU812 wrote: »
    1200 thread count on a set I got in NYC ($60 in Macy's sale for 4 pillowcases, King duvet, flat sheet & fitted sheet), should have bought two sets, but they were so heavy !

Amazing comfort, like really really good hotel sheets.

Oh lord I didn't even think about getting sheets when I was there
    I have good thread count ones from debenhams, amazing

OU812 wrote: »
    1200 thread count on a set I got in NYC
    We stocked up on bed linen while in Florida. Egyptian cotton 680 thread, like heaven:D

Show off :mad:

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

You sir are a classy gent..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I want one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

boobar wrote: »
    Good quality wallet
    Nice pen
    Filofax
    Weekend bag
    Gadgets e.g tablet, smart phone
    Quality camera

Look at you, Mr 80s gentleman :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I'd imagine quite a few gents on here would appreciate a comfortable bed
    And rightly so. One spends lots of time there, so make it comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Skam

Haven't seen this one yet, but it's something I like to have.. a nice silk tie. Several, in different colors so your tie will never clash!
    Edit: A nice, dressy pair of Oxfords too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

A half dozen bottles of good red. Middleton Rare, cigars and of course, some Champagne for les dammes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

A fedora.....

Srs.

Not Srs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Loire wrote: »
    A half dozen bottles of good red. Middleton Rare, cigars and of course, some Champagne for les dammes

I live in Midleton:cool:

I don't have anything to add to that. I just wanted to talk about myself for a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

• The ability to tie a variety of knots in ones neck tie. Certain suits, ties, and occasions will require different knots so as to look their best.
    • A knowledge of etiquette of different nationalitites, so as to not show disrespect. i.e. the wearing of a white shirt in a cyprian funeral is highly disrespectful.
    • A selection of dress shirts of various colours.
    • A selection of well cut suits of various colours. The suits need not be brand name, once they are cut to fit and of high quality material.
    • A selection of greatcoats in matching colours to some of the suits.
    • A high quality umbrella.
    • Some scarfs of complimenting colours to the greatcoats.
    • The ability to hand write notes free from mispellings and grammatical errors.
    • And most importantly in my opinion, the good character to honour all of ones gentlemens agreements.

• Administrators Posts: 53,572 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

awec wrote: »
    What is this nonsense? Post in a way that others can actually understand.

Is the bold text really necessary?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

awec's posting as a moderator there.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

awec's posting as a moderator there.

Since when does that mean you have to post in bold?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

HeadPig wrote: »

Mods post in bold when acting as a mod and not in bold when joining in on a conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

HeadPig wrote: »

Since when did it start bothering you so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

1, A good pen and notebook, I carry a Fisher Bullet pen and Moleskine notebook with me every place I go.
    2, A good pen knife
    3, A handkerchief
    4, A small umbrella
    5, Leather gloves
    6, At least 1 good suit
    7, A range of dress shirts
    8, A good scarf
    9, A small leather wallet

• Advertisement

After having a gift I put a lot of thought into and went to a lot of effort to get for someone, go both unthanked and unacknowledged, I would add good manners to a gentleman's essentials. Manners really do maketh the man.

Bad manners are very hard to overlook but free and easy to rectify.

Advertisement