Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gentlemen's essential possessions

Options
  • 10-12-2013 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭

Inspired by a post on the art of manliness website. Which possessions do you think are essential for a gentleman these days?

A decent pen (fountain, naturally)
    A double edged razor (& badger hair brush)
    A good leather wallet (ripper canvas ones are a no-no)
    The knowledge as to how to tie a decent knot in one's tie
    What else ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭cson

Good quality white shirt.

Timeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Pair of black shoes and a good suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

cson wrote: »
    Good quality white shirt.

Timeless.

Got a custom made white shirt last year (special offer on living social). Damn it looks & feels great.

I'm going to add a decent pocket knife to the list. I have a spyder "bug" on my keyring. Blade is barely an inch long but extremely sharp & sturdy & it come in so much handier than you realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A nice watch has been on my list for a long time. I hate reaching for the phone when asked the time. Maybe it's just me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

God this sounds like something out of the 1930's haha.

All I can think of is a smartphone and a funeral ready suit. :-/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

cantdecide wrote: »
    A nice watch has been on my list for a long time. I hate reaching for the phone when asked the time. Maybe it's just me...

It's not. I had mine stolen a few years ago and can't justify the expense of replacing it at the moment.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Captain Farrell

mahoganay furniture and leather-bound books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

A decent sized HD panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

OU812 wrote: »
    Inspired by a post on the art of manliness website. Which possessions do you think are essential for a gentleman these days?

A decent pen (fountain, naturally)
    A double edged razor (& badger hair brush)
    A good leather wallet (ripper canvas ones are a no-no)
    The knowledge as to how to tie a decent knot in one's tie
    What else ?

I would tend to agree with the pen, I can't use fountain pens properly due to left handedness unfortunately, but there are nice pens out there.

I rarely clean shave but a trimmers or other apparatus to keep facial hair groomed well is a must. To continue on grooming - a nail clippers, nose trimmers and tweezers (should you need them for eyebrows) are items that I would consider essential.

A nice wallet - absolutely, you use this everyday, taking it out in front of people, try to keep it organized and not raggedy looking.

Around this time of year, I would say a nice gloves and scarf combo, and a good dress/peacoat can go a long way to making a man look well. I'm hoping to get a pair of leather gloves to go with a peacoat I own, rather than having another pair of cotton ones that will get caught on other materials and not provide as much warmth as a good leather pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

py2006 wrote: »
    God this sounds like something out of the 1930's haha.

To be fair, those guys knew how to dress impressively. I silently, mentally, despair seeing a world full of blue jeans.

<List>

A nice sterling silver hip flask. Doesn't have to be too big. Just enough for the odd swig in stressful times

RangeR wrote: »
    To be fair, those guys knew how to dress impressively. I silently, mentally, despair seeing a world full of blue jeans.

<List>

A nice sterling silver hip flask. Doesn't have to be too big. Just enough for the odd swig in stressful times
    At the same time we can't wear suit pants all the time, jeans are essential and it's hard to find a good pair imo

Quite a few of my friends have hip flasks now that you mention it - naggens for grown ups :pac:

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

awec wrote: »
    People still use fountain pens? :eek:

a more elegant weapon for a more civilized age

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Tefral

A good set of tools!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

A decent pair of cufflinks, to finish off the good suit / white shirt combo!! Spent over €100 (what was I thinking) on a pair for my wedding years ago and still love using them for special occasions.

I'm a laydee but I've always thought that nice links and tiepin finish off a good suit nicely, nothing looks sillier than a tie blown over a shoulder. A really good suit is a nice thing for a man to have, it goes without saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

A big adjustable couch to point at a large screen tv for the footy or a relaxing Sunday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

py2006 wrote: »
    A big adjustable couch to point at a large screen tv for the footy or a relaxing Sunday

With a mini well stocked beer fridge on the side :D

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    With a mini well stocked beer fridge on the side :D
    I am the proud owner of a futon & mini fridge in my sitting room - the goal is to one day own an 'L' couch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

D'Agger wrote: »
    I am the proud owner of a futon & mini fridge in my sitting room

Living the dream

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

D'Agger wrote: »
    I am the proud owner of a futon & mini fridge in my sitting room - the goal is to one day own an 'L' couch

May I admire your goal and inform you that an 'L' couch is probably the best purchase I have ever made in home furnishings. It's not just an 'L' couch, we specifically bought it because it had plenty of 'Arse room'.

It's fabulous.

RangeR wrote: »
    May I admire your goal and inform you that an 'L' couch is probably the best purchase I have ever made in home furnishings. It's not just an 'L' couch, we specifically bought it because it had plenty of 'Arse room'.

It's fabulous.
    Had to take the futon out for the Christmas tree but it's handy for people calling over and staying

The 'L' couch is to be a reclining one too - I just want one so I can pan out after matches when my body feels like it's been put through a mincer :pac:

Was going to buy one but figured may not be the best purchase while I'm renting with 4 others - will only get wrecked!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gurl88

First thing that came to mind: nail clippers...to put the 'man' in manicure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

1. Confidence
    2. Intelligence

If you think you have 1&2 then...
    3. Modesty

The rest is just contents on an insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

cronin_j wrote: »
    A good set of tools!

For leaking hondas ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 VeryVexed

For me it would be my homemade leather pocket notebook with a mini mechanical pencil attached to it.

Perfect size for my front pocket 4" x 2.5"

I have it devided into 3 sections ; one section records great random ideas that I dont want to forget, books I hear about that i'll read in future, landmark dates of importance to me as they happen, travel plans etc.

The second section is kept for doodlings and problem solving with sketches etc.

The third section is a monthly tally of my 'get out of Dodge fund', which is really adding up and is hidden in cash.

The most important thing with a pocket notebook is to not write anything too personal in it. I would tend to use vague language, double meaning words, simple drawings instead of words or even a code instead of numbers.

I get great pleasure in reviewing my little notebook, beats a smart phone any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

I never leave the house without my Beretta 9mm handgun.....

Seriously, a good suit, comfortable pair of black shoes and awareness of ones surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Tweezers
    White cotton handkerchief
    Two headed silver dollar :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

cantdecide wrote: »
    Same. I've been thinking lately about getting a watch for myself. I can't remember when was the last time I had one. Late teens probably.

There are some out there that look really nice and cool, but feck, the price!

Advertisement