Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure in heart abstinence only education

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Anne O'Reilly from Pure in Heart on Today with Sean O'Rourke on RTÉ Radio 1 today to respond to complaints about the talks they give in schools.

Brighten up your Monday afternoon! It's on the RTÉ Player; just skip to 17:30 into the show.

Apparently they're educating, inspiring and encouraging children to make their own lifestyle choices. :) A totally Irish, standalone, independent and charitable organisation too.

Article & discussion about the interview here: http://www.thejournal.ie/pure-in-heart-abstinence-talks-1330894-Feb2014/

I didn't get a chance to listen but all commentary I've heard suggests it was a completely fluffy interview and the rep wasn't pressing on any of the comments they made.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"rabble reported earlier this month, on Ireland’s no.1 pro-life site publishing under a headline ‘Pregnancy from Rape is Rare’ that following rape women’s bodies ’may bring into play some natural defence mechanisms that reduce the likelihood of pregnancy, such as hormonal change and spasms of the fallopian tubes which inhibit ovulation or fertilisation.’
    The Pure In Heart group operates as a charity although they do suggest on

their site that a fee of €250 per school or ‘whatever the school can afford is appreciated’. Some of these details are difficult to find as both their Facebook page has been deleted and their website is ‘under construction’ coincidentally since the Journal article appeared. However using our tech monkeys we’ve garnered most of their online info and what follows are some of the highlights.

The group is registered at 23 Merrion Square in Dublin 2 – the same address as the Iona Institute and lists it’s trading address as 3 Pembroke Park, Dublin 4, which it shares with Catholic Charismatic Renewal."

http://www.rabble.ie/2014/02/25/we-dont-need-iona-education/

O what a bunch of charmers.....

"According to a 2006 report in Catholic Ireland news Damian Polly (28) from Pure in Heart left his IT job to worked full time in the ‘ministry’ since at least 2004. Damian believes ‘girls should be more accountable for their actions.’ As you would expect the group has had ties with the US abstinence movement. Pure in Heart invited Pam Stanzel to speak, she has something of a reputation being accused of ‘slut-shaming’ in the past. Some highlights from her talks with US schoolkids include “If you take birth control, your mother probably hates you” and “I could look at any one of you in the eyes right now and tell if you’re going to be promiscuous.”

And yes, its the womans job to say nay.....because why would they want to say yes?

"The emphasis throughout their material is consistently and repeatedly on the responsibility of girls for a couple’s chastity. It permeates every lesson and source. The idea that sex is something males want and it is up to females to deny; sex is natural as God has made us ‘desirous’ so purity is the burden of the female to maintain."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Ok, sorry, half way through it -- missed it -- apologies!

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    Ok, sorry, half way through it -- missed it -- apologies!

No, looking at it now, its fairly obscure....I shall attend to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

BECAUSE NOBODY WOULD EVER BE ON THE PILL FOR NON BIRTH CONTROL REASONS

Oh god people like that make me so angry
    Crush kill destroy

bluewolf wrote: »
    BECAUSE NOBODY WOULD EVER BE ON THE PILL FOR NON BIRTH CONTROL REASONS

Oh god people like that make me so angry
    Crush kill destroy

stop...don't....violence is wrong.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Further evidence of the disgusting lies and scare tactics these clowns use to impose their distorted values and opinions on impressionable kids

http://www.thejournal.ie/pure-in-heard-condoms-1332566-Mar2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

VinLieger wrote: »
    Further evidence of the disgusting lies and scare tactics these clowns use to impose their distorted values and opinions on impressionable kids

http://www.thejournal.ie/pure-in-heard-condoms-1332566-Mar2014/

I wonder why the comments are closed for that story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

eviltwin wrote: »
    I wonder why the comments are closed for that story?

Probably cus they share a building with Iona who have their lawyers on speed dial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

VinLieger wrote: »
    Probably cus they share a building with Iona who have their lawyers on speed dial

I believe Jesus had a similar modus operandi, did he not? Or am I confusing Him with Scientology..?

Matt Cooper did a piece on Pure at Heart yesterday on which Ben Conroy, Breda O'Brien's son (previously seen on the Saturday Show) defended Pure in Heart. One interesting bit was he actually defended the "sellotape" incident. Oops. The editor of The Journal says:

https://twitter.com/BiddyEarly/status/443064329982984192

"Ben Conroy from Irish Catholic confirms that #sellotape gimmick DOES happen in Pure in Heart talks. They denied story 2 wks ago. @lstwrd
    4:42 PM - 10 Mar 2014"

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Ben Conroy was on Drivetime today too. The neck on him would strain belief. Flying the kite of the "plurality of views" line... By which he meant: if your kid happens to go to a RCC secondary, they should get lurid, inaccurate abstinence-only propaganda, and nothing else. Don't like that? Forced to sent your child to a RCC school through lack of alternatives? I guess you need to "pluralistically" shag off to another country. Defended the utter spoofery of the "1 in 6 condom failure rate" nonsense with some "what they must have meant to say" sophistry, then totally glossing over how those are arrived at. (i.e. you take statistics over a year, which largely consist of people not using a condom when they had some vague intention of doing so.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Ben Conroy was on Drivetime today too. The neck on him would strain belief. Flying the kite of the "plurality of views" line... By which he meant: if your kid happens to go to a RCC secondary, they should get lurid, inaccurate abstinence-only propaganda, and nothing else. Don't like that? Forced to sent your child to a RCC school through lack of alternatives? I guess you need to "pluralistically" shag off to another country. Defended the utter spoofery of the "1 in 6 condom failure rate" nonsense with some "what they must have meant to say" sophistry, then totally glossing over how those are arrived at. (i.e. you take statistics over a year, which largely consist of people not using a condom when they had some vague intention of doing so.)

Like mother like son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I thought the presenter should have challenged him a bit more on that statistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

If he keeps this up, David Quinn might relinquish his title of "High Prick of Ireland".

If he keeps this up, David Quinn might relinquish his title of "High Prick of Ireland".

Careful now. That kind of.backchat could earn you your very own signed solicitors letter, as noted homophobes the Iona Institute have sent before.

I kinda want to see this now: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_in_Heart

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

lazygal wrote: »
    Careful now. That kind of.backchat could earn you your very own signed solicitors letter, as noted homophobes the Iona Institute have sent before.

I guess suing a student would win his crown back. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Do schools have to inform parents that they want these nutters to preach to the pupils?

I would be quite irate if this type of carry on was allowed without my permission.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I thought the presenter should have challenged him a bit more on that statistic.

Yes, the statistic itself rather slipped by, and the presenter was (understandably!) distracted by his blithe assertions that that's what they must have said, on no evidence whatsoever. Lie early, lie often: a few are bound to slip through.

I look forward to a like-with-like comparison of "abstinence failure rates". Since "typical condom use", according the Lolek High Command, doesn't necessarily involve actually using a condom, I assume that vague intentions or earnest protestations of abstinence, and then having sex, would count as "typical abstinence".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

alaimacerc wrote: »
    {...}

I look forward to a like-with-like comparison of "abstinence failure rates". Since "typical condom use", according the Lolek High Command, doesn't necessarily involve actually using a condom, I assume that vague intentions or earnest protestations of abstinence, and then having sex, would count as "typical abstinence".

That's the genius of abstinence. Once you do the deed, you're no longer practising abstinence so it's not abstinence's failure, it's yours. It's kinda like how never drinking is a good way of not catching malaria. :rolleyes:

Do schools have to inform parents that they want these nutters to preach to the pupils?

I would be quite irate if this type of carry on was allowed without my permission.

Michelle Hennessy's journal.ie article says "in some cases without parental approval". I'm not at all clear whether informing parents is the "usual" procedure or not.

Another Iona Institute piece from Breda O'Brien's son defending Pure in Heart:

http://www.ionainstitute.ie/index.php?id=3438

P.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is he on the Iona Youth and Nepotism Committee?

'Ma....did ye sign that note about the loopers givin the sex talk?'
    No ma, its gas. They get redder and redder as it goes on'

Pure in Heart claimed they provide consent forms. If they aren't big fat liers maybe schools don't pass them on to parents. Are consent forms required for sex ed does anyone know? And if the Pure In Heart people aren't garda vetted there's a teacher present in the room, what does the teacher do if "facts" are challenged by pupils?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

lazygal wrote: »
    Pure in Heart claimed they provide consent forms. If they aren't big fat liers maybe schools don't pass them on to parents. Are consent forms required for sex ed does anyone know? And if the Pure In Heart people aren't garda vetted there's a teacher present in the room, what does the teacher do if "facts" are challenged by pupils?

Afaik only in primary and junior cycle. Once they turn 16 I think they are allowed make their own decision.

Its easy enough for parents to be pro active on this. Why wait until your child comes home and tells you PIH or similar came by for a visit, why don't parents call the school and ask their policy on outside groups in advance and let it be known their objection?

Maybe if more parents did this and schools knew the way parents feel they would be less inclined to invite them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,320 ✭✭✭✭Penn

oceanclub wrote: »
    Another Iona Institute piece from Breda O'Brien's son defending Pure in Heart:

http://www.ionainstitute.ie/index.php?id=3438

P.

His argument boils down to "There's no point teaching teens about how to use a condom because they'll be too drunk to use it properly anyway, and even if they could use condoms perfectly, they shouldn't have sex"

He's definitely the heir apparent of Iona.

Advertisement