Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure in heart abstinence only education

Options
  • 09-12-2013 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭

A catholic abstinence only "education" group Pure in Heart were featured in yesterday's Sunday Times, (page 4 article title Teens told to pick chastity not sexy stars, byline Gabrielle Monaghan) boasting that they visited 55 schools to talk about their woo (I'm not paying subscription just to link to the article). While the article seems mostly there to print a big photo of Miley Cyrus in her underwear, they did mention the NUIG Legion of Mary case and were good enough to quote a student who attended one of the sessions:
    They didn't say anything about the benefits of contraception or give us a chance to speak. They were talking about what qualities we should look for in a boyfriend and got us into groups to talk about. I asked "what about the qualities of a girlfriend?" [my interjection: sounds like Sinead may be referencing lesbian relationships here, which the crowd seem to have missed] The [response was] "we're just talking about boyfriends today". They said you should wait until you get married before having sex. So I asked "what if you are gay and can't get married?" There was no response

On looking for their website I found this. It's not very inspiring that a group wanting to influence (read: brainwash) the yoof of Ireland can't even manage a proper website, but that's a different matter. The best thing I found about them is this short article from the Diocese of Westminster website, which is basically just propoganda.

Now I fully agree the best way not to get pregnant or get STIs is to not have sex. But, and this is a giant but writ in neon flashing letters, abstinence only programmes are some of the most pernicious woo out there peddled by fundie christians, due to the fact that for humans the main sexual drive is pleasure, not procreation (a trait we share with quite a lot of our primate cousins and other social animals).

Teaching young teens about sex, why it is a good idea to use contraception if you are having sex, why testing is also a good idea, to respect other's wishes (i.e. if they say "no" you say "ok, how about something else fun then?") and all the other stuff necessary for a group of young people on the cusp of adulthood in order that they have a balanced attitude towards themselves, their bodies and others.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

and as we know, abstinence means you can still use gods loop hole

NSFW

Be a good question to ask them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

They came to NUI Maynooth about a week-and-a-half ago, the "highlight" of their leaflet was saying that "the way I dress may be a temptation to my boyfriend".

Utter pricks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They came to NUI Maynooth about a week-and-a-half ago, the "highlight" of their leaflet was saying that "the way I dress may be a temptation to my boyfriend".

Utter pricks.

what about the way a man dresses being a temptation to his girlfriend, or is it just the fault of those dirrrttty women all the time?

Cabaal wrote: »
    what about the way a man dresses being a temptation to his girlfriend, or is it just the fault of those dirrrttty women all the time?

Yeah, I had a look at those leaflets, what I inferred is that traditional view that teh wimminz must be incubators and sex must be purely for procreation and utterly joyless for the woman.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

what about the way a man dresses being a temptation to his girlfriend [...]
    I have one word to add to this debate:

"Speedos"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Tight jeans and the top three buttons provocatively open on the shirt.
    *wink, wink*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You minx, you.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Teaching teens not have sex before marriage seems really dumb to me. The sex life of a relationship is something you'd need to experience before making a life-long commitment, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

RaspberryPi's are useful for this carry on

~# whois pureinheartireland.com
    Admin Organization: Pure in Heart
    Admin Street: 23 Merrion Square
    The Iona Institute
    23 Merrion Square, Dublin 2

Excess number of reprobates per address detected :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Nice one gctest. That's a very good catch to show who's behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

robindch wrote: »
    I have one word to add to this debate:

"Speedos"

Trendy nonsense. The y-front is the look they can't resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Nodin wrote: »
    Trendy nonsense. The y-front is the look they can't resist.

Speedos? y-fronts? Are these those new fangled "underpants" I've been hearing so much about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

and as we know, abstinence means you can still use gods loop hole

NSFW

Be a good question to ask them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So, how many 'independent organisations' are coming out of IONA Tower now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

http://timewarpwife.com/?p=115

I'll just leave this here.

*clicks link*
    Damn, I was hoping for a Poe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

i always wonder how these groups are allowed into schools, there must be so many groups good and bad i wonder if any should be allowed present to the kidss, but I guess the school teacher and principals must agree to with it to some extent

The vast majority of schools in Ireland are Christian run. No pre wedding sexytime is in the rules.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

lazygal wrote: »
    As recommended by no less a public intellectual than Ray Comfort!

http://brothersandsisters.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=108&Itemid=120

Ye gods.

• Advertisement

i always wonder how these groups are allowed into schools, there must be so many groups good and bad i wonder if any should be allowed present to the kidss, but I guess the school teacher and principals must agree to with it to some extent

Even if they don't agree the catholic church still get free access to most schools in Ireland, :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Even if they don't agree the catholic church still get free access to most schools in Ireland, :(
    these abstinence people aren't the catholic church

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

That awkward moment when Irish parents are confronted by their smartass child who has just done the math and realized they were born too soon for things to add up properly.

"But we were going to get married anyway". Right.

"We only did it the once". Collapses laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

nagirrac wrote: »
    That awkward moment when Irish parents are confronted by their smartass child who has just done the math and realized they were born too soon for things to add up properly.

"But we were going to get married anyway". Right.

"We only did it the once". Collapses laughing.

Our kids don't have to do the maths. They were at our wedding. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

these abstinence people aren't the catholic church

They are, they're run out of the same office as the Iona institute for the promulgation of stale bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

They are, they're run out of the same office as the Iona institute for the promulgation of stale bull****.

So you conflate the ideas that this organisation has with the ideas of the catholic church, and then decide that there is no difference between the two because "They're run out of the same...."

Nice one. (Sic)

What part of this did you ignore, catallus?
    On looking for their website I found this. It's not very inspiring that a group wanting to influence (read: brainwash) the yoof of Ireland can't even manage a proper website, but that's a different matter. The best thing I found about them is this short article from the Diocese of Westminster website, which is basically just propoganda.

What part of this did you ignore, catallus?

I read every single word of the short article. There is not an iota of substance to the poster's assertions.

It is a sad case of conflation by the poster who linked the article.

I think Brian's right to conflate Pure In Heart with the I-moan-a Institute, given that they share premises and the same traditionalist Catholic ideology.

• Advertisement

I think Brian's right to conflate Pure In Heart with the I-moan-a Institute, given that they share premises and the same traditionalist Catholic ideology.

Perhaps that's totally correct, I agree on the face of it.

But my point is that he decides to turn that argument into an argument against catholicism generally.

I don't know precisely what the rules against gross generalisation are on this forum. Obviously different from other ones.

Advertisement