Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure in heart abstinence only education

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There was a segment on Drivetime yesterday evening as well. Pure in Heart were - surprisingly - unavailable for comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

oscarBravo wrote: »
    There was a segment on Drivetime yesterday evening as well. Pure in Heart were - surprisingly - unavailable for comment.

They and their like are well open to comment left, right and centre on sundry other occasions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

oceanclub wrote: »
    They appear to have now deleted their Facebook page and also turned off their web site. One wonders why if they stand behind everything they do.

P.

It's only okay to do behind closed doors if the students don't tell anyone

The whole thing sounds mad
    sellotape
    Go way out of that and give them actual facts
    I have no problem with encouraging young and uncertain teens to make sure they've thought about and are happy with the choices they make, but they need to be informed about those choices, and boosting self confidence and self esteem is not going to happen with sellotape and telling them they're worthless if they give in. Or whatever they did, that's the usual going by the "weird school talks" thread

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

This was supposed to demonstrate the effect of having sex before marriage. The Sellotape collects hair and is no longer useful.

That's a fucking horrible thing to say

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Really glad to hear some students walked out and their parents spoke up about this codology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Frightening to hear that someone, who believes that contraception is bad because it doesn't honour the partner's fertility, is allowed to give a class and address many impressionable teenagers.

It's a very hardcore and extreme opinion to be allowed pass on without being questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Call me Al wrote: »
    Frightening to hear that someone, who believes that contraception is bad because it doesn't honour the partner's fertility, is allowed to give a class and address many impressionable teenagers.

It's a very hardcore and extreme opinion to be allowed pass on without being questioned.

If I were a parent I would be straight down to the school insisting notification of any future "Speakers". Its disgraceful that they aren't notified already.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Call me Al wrote: »

It is I agree, but the problem is its in-line with the catholic "ethos"...condoms are a sin don't ya know....

Cabaal wrote: »
    It is I agree, but the problem is its in-line with the catholic "ethos"...condoms are a sin don't ya know....

Silly us for thinking education should be the "ethos" of a school

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Silly us for thinking education should be the "ethos" of a school

From the catholic stand point it is still education,

Lets not forget they teach zombie jesusand eating zombie jesus as fact, what they teach doesn't have to have any basis in reality or fact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Cabaal wrote: »
    Lets not forget they teach zombie jesusand eating zombie jesus as fact, what they teach doesn't have to have any basis in reality or fact

You see if you ingest zombie flesh you too become a zombie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

If I were a parent I would be straight down to the school insisting notification of any future "Speakers". Its disgraceful that they aren't notified already.
    I would have thought they had to be. I remember numerous permission slips being brought home over the years when I was in school and I left over a decade ago. Maybe my Principal just didn't have his head up his ass though.

I would have thought they had to be. I remember numerous permission slips being brought home over the years when I was in school and I left over a decade ago. Maybe my Principal just didn't have his head up his ass though.
    Probably the latter. It has said in the articles that the schools were under no obligation to notify parents and didnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Oh. Dear. Gob.

I've only just got internet back after the obnoxious rant-disinhibiting storms, but listened to the radio 1 programme that addressed it today. Grrrr, if I'd have had call credit, I'd have texted in, as seemingly, only 1 in 10 texts were against the Pure in Heart ****e they were caught out in teaching to impressionable young wans. Isn't their a law against teaching kids non factual info here? Can they be had for it???

It's hard to believe that Irish parents of my age are as freaked out by their kids thinking about/acting on sexual urges as my generation's parents were.....but it seems so. How sad. But perhaps it was only the very discombobulated (new word; thanks Panti :D) who were texting in. I'm very afraid that Catholic parents of teens are still so afraid of the notion of teen pregnancy and STDs and (god forbid) HOMOSEXUALITY (!), that they are adopting the fall-back position of ABSTINENCE, which works SO well eh? Will send a lengthy email to RTE1 tonight now I'm back online.

Advise others to use their voice too.....this is not bloody on - that the teens of Ireland are hearing none of us can tolerate the realities of their lives. It'd be like when I was growing up, and that was backward enough. F*ck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I went to a CBS on the Longmile road in Dublin (did LC in 1997). Don't ever recall this group visiting our school though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Obliq wrote: »
    Grrrr, if I'd have had call credit, I'd have texted in, as seemingly, only 1 in 10 texts were against the Pure in Heart ****e they were caught out in teaching to impressionable young wans. Isn't their a law against teaching kids non factual info here? Can they be had for it???

I find that text in segments are either one of two things most of the time, a) they're either clogged up with the minority green ink, curtain twitcher, brigade which is only a tiny proportion of the true population or b) for reasons of editorial nature (i.e. to be sensational and angry up Obliq's blood {don't know why they picked you specifically}) they publish a very skewed sample of what was actually sent in.

I find that text in segments are either one of two things most of the time, a) they're either clogged up with the minority green ink, curtain twitcher, brigade which is only a tiny proportion of the true population or b) for reasons of editorial nature (i.e. to be sensational and angry up Obliq's blood {don't know why they picked you specifically}) they publish a very skewed sample of what was actually sent in.

Hey man....I don't know why they picked on me either :( (did they?!) Maybe there's a pay out in it. Disgusted, Co. Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

So Pure in Heart Ireland wouldn't respond to the Irish Independent or to Today Sean O'Rourke, but have a spokesperson talking to the Irish Catholic:

http://www.irishcatholic.ie/article/chastity-group-rejects-claims-%E2%80%98strange-practices%E2%80%99

They claim the sellotape story is "quite alarming and without basis", implying the students telling these stories are liars.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    So Pure in Heart Ireland wouldn't respond to the Irish Independent or to Today Sean O'Rourke, but have a spokesperson talking to the Irish Catholic:

http://www.irishcatholic.ie/article/chastity-group-rejects-claims-%E2%80%98strange-practices%E2%80%99

They claim the sellotape story is "quite alarming and without basis", implying the students telling these stories are liars.

P.

Extremely worrying that they will not reply to my own email either but will release a statement to a sympathetic media outlet rather than a national one.

Extremely worrying that they will not reply to my own email either but will release a statement to a sympathetic media outlet rather than a national one.

But not surprising.

• Advertisement

I'm sure they would still be willing to talk about a visit from them if I were to enquire about that for a school

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just listening to the report from the Sean O' Rourke show now. You can access it here.

Glad to hear the students speaking out and that this got national coverage. I'm there'll be some inevitable 'don't want this, don't go to to a Catholic school!!111!' botheration any minute now. Yep...oh, 'kids force fed sex outside of marriage without the choice of chastity.' The students and parents who objected are cowardly. Wow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Wonder what would happen if a few people contacted a bunch of schools pretending to be "Pure in Heart" and got themselves invited in where they did completely random christian fundie sex ed stuff. Poe's law and all that.

Not that I'm suggesting it's a good or honest idea. Just that it could be quite informative. And probably very funny.

What a marvellous idea! I'm in. It would be the best sex-ed class ever - definitely more factual than Pure in Heart, but possibly less.....well.....pure. Ahem. Perhaps I should offer lectures as Pure of Heart? No word of a lie, like...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,157 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Don't google this at work (for the love of God, don't!), but apparently "scotch tape fetish" is a thing.

And now we know why.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yer man who edits the Irish Catholic had a little bit of dig at the RTE reporter before the piece had even aired. Typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

robindch wrote: »
    Wonder what would happen if a few people contacted a bunch of schools pretending to be "Pure in Heart" and got themselves invited in where they did completely random christian fundie sex ed stuff. Poe's law and all that.

Not that I'm suggesting it's a good or honest idea. Just that it could be quite informative. And probably very funny.

We should teach that the only Christian way to procreate is to abstain and wait for God to do the dirty work - it worked in the Bible after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Yer man who edits the Irish Catholic had a little bit of dig at the RTE reporter before the piece had even aired. Typical.

Good comeback by O'Connell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Anne O'Reilly from Pure in Heart on Today with Sean O'Rourke on RTÉ Radio 1 today to respond to complaints about the talks they give in schools.

Brighten up your Monday afternoon! It's on the RTÉ Player; just skip to 17:30 into the show.

Apparently they're educating, inspiring and encouraging children to make their own lifestyle choices. :) A totally Irish, standalone, independent and charitable organisation too.

Article & discussion about the interview here: http://www.thejournal.ie/pure-in-heart-abstinence-talks-1330894-Feb2014/

• Advertisement

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Anne O'Reilly from Pure in Heart on Today with Sean O'Rourke on RTÉ Radio 1 today to respond to complaints about the talks they give in schools.

Brighten up your Monday afternoon! It's on the RTÉ Player; just skip to 17:30 into the show.

Apparently they're educating, inspiring and encouraging children to make their own lifestyle choices. :) A totally Irish, standalone, independent and charitable organisation too.

Article & discussion about the interview here: http://www.thejournal.ie/pure-in-heart-abstinence-talks-1330894-Feb2014/

I'm actually so disgusted listening to that. She was given the perfect out by O'Rourke asking what they say to teenagers who are already sexually active.

Do they educate them on safe sex? Nope they try to educate them on Chastity still. These people are dangerous to have them talking to children/teenagers on these matters

Advertisement