Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WC 2014 Brasil; Starts June 12th 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

user2011 wrote: »
    I couldn't call that game at all.. Well done Germany..

My eyes were saying Argentina but everything else was saying Germany, couldn't pull the trigger on anything. Fair f**ks to anyone who before or during the game went with something.

Well I was on Germany to win on pens so you can imagine how I feel about Mr Goatse. Was also on muller top scorer, Argentina/Germany 1-2 and Argentina/Messi double so that was about the only way the came could have gone to leave me out of pocket...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

O well that's it then, its all over. I'm gonna miss this thread, see you all in 4 years time. I think i'm going to cry.

on that note

http://youtu.be/4Spy3Nd2D6w

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Took a little over a year hiatus (more or less bar a couple of random posts), but it's been fun getting back into the grove of this forum. Always been one of the better community forums. Glad to see I made the right call in getting Inforfun to take over too. Hopefully the majority if not all of us finished in profit. Might post a bit more regularly in future, we'll see. Best of luck with the minefield of club friendlies if you're mad enough to bet on that :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Really enjoyed this thread , down a bit overall Id say though, low point was Spain chile overs letting me down for 600 and done a wedge on Bosnia against Nigeria(dzeko disallowed goal has also done me off about 400 quid In a top team scorer bet ) , highlights were Colombia against Uruguay, backing overs in Ivory Coast games,chile double chance against Brazil, Germany against Brazil,Bit gutted as I fancied the Germans at the start but the whole European team in South America and a couple of German mates put me off. Anyway hopefully we bash the bookies this season in the European leagues ! X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

First foray into betting and even though I'm down about 30 euro or so I enjoyed it mainly because of this thread. I'll throw 50 quid into the account for the start of the premier league and see how far your tips take me, looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Took a little over a year hiatus (more or less bar a couple of random posts), but it's been fun getting back into the grove of this forum. Always been one of the better community forums. Glad to see I made the right call in getting Inforfun to take over too. Hopefully the majority if not all of us finished in profit. Might post a bit more regularly in future, we'll see. Best of luck with the minefield of club friendlies if you're mad enough to bet on that :D

You just need to get a thread up for your NBA bets now and the whole betting forum can head off on a holiday together next summer :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Paully D wrote: »
    You just need to get a thread up for your NBA bets now and the whole betting forum can head off on a holiday together next summer :pac:

:pac::pac:

''Bet365 has suspended NBA betting in Ireland due to massive losses as of late.''

I can see it now. In big black writing. On the front of a newspaper. As we sunbath on the beach, sipping on Pina Coladas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

All the best to the lads leaving the betting forum.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Well, that was it then.

Betting wise it was like my country in this WC, better than expected but at the end a feeling of: This could have been so much nicer.

Example was this bet:
    inforfun wrote: »
    Took a Lucky 15 for peanuts on these guys to be top scorer for their country:

Robben @5.5
    Lukaku @3.25
    Bony @9
    Muller @5.5

All 4 were up there and if it had been Robben instead of Van Persie scoring in the 3rd place play off, the return would have been 10 fold of what it was now.

Never really intended to have all the WC betting in this thread and just have the regular threads for that but i think it worked well this way.

Want to thank you all for letting me watch the football and not causing chaos in the football threads.

Now bring back the Eredivisie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭Glebee

Great thread to read during the WC. For a while during the knock out stages it seemed that ever team / bet I had on put a jinx on the teams I was backing.
    Had a nice sum on Argentia to win from before the start, cashed it out yesterday and lumped it all onto a Germany to lift the cup. Thank God for that csh out option I guess;) See you all at the 2016 Euros...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Disastrous World Cup for me. Never saw Rodriguez getting the Golden Boot. Had Argie to win the WC along with Messi, Neymar top-scorers. Didnt back Messi for Golden Ball, didnt back the 0-0 in last nights final even though i was saying it all week after the semi's. All in all an absolute disaster. Still cant wait for the next one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Great thread,really enjoyed the craic here the last few weeks.Best team won in the end and I hope most are up a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Piled on Argentina outright last night but also went in pretty big on Arg +0.5 in the 90 minutes so all in all a decent WC.

good world cup overall

most profitable game, ururguay (v england)
    least profitable game colombia (v brazil) still cant believe
    they got nothing out of that

near miss, usa/bts 8/1 (v port) hurt like hell

biggest regrets, not backing germany + holland (v brazil)
    chickened out after colombia game

great craic though, another week of this and I'd have
    been out on my ass

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Warper wrote: »
    Disastrous World Cup for me. Never saw Rodriguez getting the Golden Boot. Had Argie to win the WC along with Messi, Neymar top-scorers. Didnt back Messi for Golden Ball, didnt back the 0-0 in last nights final even though i was saying it all week after the semi's. All in all an absolute disaster. Still cant wait for the next one ;)

Much of this goes for me too. Plus to round off my disappointment I've just remembered Coral's money back offer if your team doesn't win applies only if Brazil or Argentina did.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

34% on my ante-post
    -2 on my other betting
    +13% overall

45000 staked, 6G profit. Not sure how to feel. Some very good and very bad luck.

Austria! wrote: »

45000 staked, 6G profit. Not sure how to feel. Some very good and very bad luck.

A drop in the ocean that :D
    I'd feel kinda good myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

34% on my ante-post
    -2 on my other betting
    +13% overall

Well done sir , prepare for some abuse and doubters asking for screenshots though , 50p win cast brigade where out in force for me when i mentioned betting 1k!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Well done sir , prepare for some abuse and doubters asking for screenshots though , 50p win cast brigade where out in force for me when i mentioned betting 1k!

Meh... i am not a big staker at all but managed 4,5K during the wc.

Ok... that amounts to 47 pages on my bet365 history...

does it really matter how much a person bets?
    some of us dont have 1k to bet with

that comment sums you up and then youre surprised folks
    gang up on you

great lad with your big stakes
    well done you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

Were any bookies refunding top team goalscorers or top goalscorer bets if the player didnt play any part in the tournament?

Agree with mailburner. That comment was very snide from clicker. Unnecessary as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

mailburner wrote: »
    A drop in the ocean that :D
    I'd feel kinda good myself

Sure 6k in 4 weeks is nice to earn, but I try not to focus on the money. I care about how well I bet, what I win and lose over a short period like the world cup is almost irrelevant to how I see myself as a gambler. Also, international football is where I feel I'm at my best, so I had higher hopes.

It was because you called it small stakes. And you did technically aftertime too. I think it's obvious from your posting history that you're not lying but not everyone keeps track of that. Some casual bettors probably will leave and not come back to this forum until Euro2016.
    Agree with mailburner. That comment was very snide from clicker. Unnecessary as well.

Well he was trying to give back because he learned from threads like these, and people weren't exactly thankful, you can see why he didn't like it. Then he and the some other posters dug their heels in. It's a childish situation we're in, the bookies are the enemies, not our fellow punters. I'm sure everyone would be happier if we could just write this little spat off instead of trying to continue it.

Clicker and Blatter are the two posters here I feel I have most to learn from, and no amount of snideness would make me not want to read their posts.

Edit. Not implying that they are snide or anything. Just saying I think they are valuable posters. And with the small bet 1k thing, come on, isn't it nice to see someone successfully bet high stakes sometimes? I'd get a big kick out of someone coming in here and throwing a lot of money around and winning.

It's a childish situation we're in, the bookies are the enemies, not our fellow punters. I'm sure everyone would be happier if we could just write this little spat off instead of trying to continue it.

Agree with most of that but then you see the likes of this from
    another thread
    At least you're not here rubbing it in when folks lose money or calling
    people mugs for picking the wrong selection
    the lad is just plain immature imo

below is uncalled for though

Collie D wrote: »
    Out of interest have tallied up how these did. I backed a couple myself.

Overall a loss of 14.6 points or -25.17% return on investment
    Criminal
    Making a loss on World Cup = doing it wrong !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The doing it wrong comment might have been aimed specifically at the RP, who are doing it for a living, rather than the average punter who shouldn't necessarily expect easy profits from a WC.

Bateman wrote: »
    The doing it wrong comment might have been aimed specifically at the RP, who are doing it for a living, rather than the average punter who shouldn't necessarily expect easy profits from a WC.

Racing post tipster it was aimed at not to give any ew bets on the soft side of the draw was criminal

Racing post tipster it was aimed at not to give any ew bets on the soft side of the draw was criminal

misread that

sorry click

mailburner wrote: »
    misread that

sorry click

I'm honestly not here for a fight with people , the small bet and the 1k bet where actually 2 separate posts I had originally planned a small bet but then talked myself into a bigger bet i'm sorry if my comments annoy people.

Racing post are charging people to buy the magazine whatever they could at least give some good value bets instead of the list of guesses they gave out.

My bets represent value , one side of the world cup draw was very weak , you could do the maths or just look at Betfair odds to see anomalies between the e/w odds and the reach the final odds , I think the Racing Post guy if he had any clue about professionally gambling should have mentioned this , everyone I know was backing Argentina , Holland and Belgium E/W , I can't remember the exact odds of each bet but I had 5k e/w on Argentina and I was getting 2/1 on them reaching the final when true odds where less than 6/4 thats how you make money.

Example of a bet i just placed now 200ew on phil mickelson in Paddypower 25/1 to back which is par value but you are getting 2 extra places , you are getting over 6/1 on him been in the top 7 when it should be 9/2 , bet these bets and long term you will be well up.

Just to add this is not an aftertime re Argentina ew I also had Belgium ew and Holland for sizeable sums , Argentina been the shortest odds to reach the final actually hitting was not as good a result for me as it could have been.

good luck
    Like phil also, big price

was only chatting about him earlier to a mate

f5aphu.jpg

• Advertisement

Think I might jump on my Phil myself now :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement