Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Markosmyth wrote: »
    txs punisher, do they do a colour blindness test?

You would need to be able to distinguish colours.
    They would need to know this if it is a problem one may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Markosmyth

yes I can distinguish colours, I have a slight red green colour problem, put it this way I can easily tell the difference between a red and green light, but if I went for a class 1 medical for a commercial pilots licence I would fail because of the colour test, I took an eye test and optician thinks I should be ok, everything else regarding my vision is perfect, il just have to wait and c.
    txs again.

yes I can distinguish colours, I have a slight red green colour problem, put it this way I can easily tell the difference between a red and green light, but if I went for a class 1 medical for a commercial pilots licence I would fail because of the colour test, I took an eye test and optician thinks I should be ok, everything else regarding my vision is perfect, il just have to wait and c.
    txs again.

Should be ok. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 threegreen

Very straightforward test today, easy calculations and easy enough report. Feeling good!!

Well done, next it's driving assessment and interview! Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 MaciG

Is working in the green sightseeing bus (hop on/off) the privilege at DublinBus?
    Or I would ask, the better drivers/employees can work on these buses or anyone who wants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

MaciG wrote: »
    Is working in the green sightseeing bus (hop on/off) the privilege at DublinBus?
    Or I would ask, the better drivers/employees can work on these buses or anyone who wants?

To be honest, i wouldn't necessarily see that as being a "privilege".
    It's just different, you're still carrying passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

If you want to drive the tour bus, you need to apply for it.
    There is a tough interview and written exam. Not everybody that wants it gets it

If you want to drive the tour bus, you need to apply for it.
    There is a tough interview and written exam. Not everybody that wants it gets it

It's like taxi drivers who drive an old S class Merc or old Lexus, they think they're better than guys driving Avensis' or Skodas but at the end of the day it's just a job carrying people from A to B via C

Just did medical, she did do a colour check and I have a slight red green deficiency but will b able 2 drive, everything else was fine, so hopefully il here back soon.

• Advertisement

Just did medical, she did do a colour check and I have a slight red green deficiency but will b able 2 drive, everything else was fine, so hopefully il here back soon.

Well done. What else did she check/ask?

Bloods, urine sample, ecg, blood pressure, family history, your history, it's very comprehensive, nurse does most of it then it's on 2 da doctor to check eyes and blood pressure, then ur results go to the head doctor and he/she has the last say on whether u pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bena100

Sorry probably a stupid question but was the eye check like the one you do in the opticians? I am slightly short sighted but never wear glasses driving. I wouldn't like to fail the medical on that?!

About how many drivers work at DublinBus?

Bena100 wrote: »
    Sorry probably a stupid question but was the eye check like the one you do in the opticians? I am slightly short sighted but never wear glasses driving. I wouldn't like to fail the medical on that?!

Very same as 1 in opticans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Stonemad2012

i have a condition called hemocromotosis, it is basically an iron overload i donate blood every 90 days to keep my iron levels low, would this affect my chances of getting into dublin bus ???

i have a condition called hemocromotosis, it is basically an iron overload i donate blood every 90 days to keep my iron levels low, would this affect my chances of getting into dublin bus ???

Shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Shouldn't.

I wouldn't be sure on that.

And i sure as hell wouldnt be confident telling someone they are fine with a condition like that for the job.

From giveblood.ie it has on their blood donation form a question that you might be familiar with

Are you Involved in a hazardous occupation or hobby
    (e.g. bus driving, diving etc.)?

I would ask the blood donation people about that first or whoever takes your blood for you and go from there.

I wouldn't be sure on that.

And i sure as hell wouldnt be confident telling someone they are fine with a condition like that for the job.

From giveblood.ie it has on their blood donation form a question that you might be familiar with

Are you Involved in a hazardous occupation or hobby
    (e.g. bus driving, diving etc.)?

I would ask the blood donation people about that first or whoever takes your blood for you and go from there.

Well sorry.

Knew a person in the job since has left onto something else but happened to have that Iron overload and there aren't meant to be many that have it.

The reason they have down as a hazardous job is mainly because if I were to go in and donate on my break and then return driving after and then faint or feel unwell there would be questions asked as to why I was back at work when giving blood can drain some people and cause certain effects.

The poster could attend their own GP and ask if they want or even call the donation clinic but db are only taking licensed and cpc holders so they could be driving for any company really when you look at it like I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Well sorry.

Knew a person in the job since has left onto something else but happened to have that Iron overload and there aren't meant to be many that have it.

The reason they have down as a hazardous job is mainly because if I were to go in and donate on my break and then return driving after and then faint or feel unwell there would be questions asked as to why I was back at work when giving blood can drain some people and cause certain effects.

The poster could attend their own GP and ask if they want or even call the donation clinic but db are only taking licensed and cpc holders so they could be driving for any company really when you look at it like I said.

But did the company know they had it when they got the job? They may deal with on a case by case basis if you are already employed but they may not be willing to take you on if they know in advance you have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Sisco14

Hi, has anyone got a job offer recently?

Sisco14 wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone got a job offer recently?

I done the appitude on the 7th but still haven't heard a thing.

Tink it was just short of 2 weeks when I got letter 2 attend driving test and interview, I applied 4 da job early December! 1 ting u need is plenty of patients!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bena100

Hi all,
    Just received a letter to attend driving assessment/interview. If I manage to get through the driving assessment what type of questions will I be asked at interview?
    Also it says in the letter 'Your interview will be based on the competencies outlined in the attached role profile' but there is no document attached?? Is it the same as the job descriptor on their website??
    Thanks.

Bena100 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just received a letter to attend driving assessment/interview. If I manage to get through the driving assessment what type of questions will I be asked at interview?
    Also it says in the letter 'Your interview will be based on the competencies outlined in the attached role profile' but there is no document attached?? Is it the same as the job descriptor on their website??
    Thanks.

Read up a bit on company and its bye laws and it will be mostly about how to deal with certain situations and what if.

You be grand the driving assessment would be hardest part.

Read up a bit on company and its bye laws and it will be mostly about how to deal with certain situations and what if.

How hard is the assessment?? Do they try catch you out??

What kind of driving test is this? I mean you have to drive in the city for a given time, or drive in a separated are doing emergency brake and solving dangerous situation,etc.

The interview isn't too bad, try to be confident, read the letter they sent you and think of what you might say, think "safety safety safety!!" It's very high on their list, they might ask you about a stressful situation you have been in and how you handled it.
    The driving assessment is a lot like the one you took to get your licence, again safety is of most importance.
    Good luck.

What kind of driving test is this? I mean you have to drive in the city for a given time, or drive in a separated are doing emergency brake and solving dangerous situation,etc.

They take you out in a bus 🚌 and want to see how you react to things and how well you read the road ahead.

They want easy acceleration and gentle braking and calm cornering.

Just take your time and make good use of mirrors.

• Advertisement

I've received my letter telling me to attend for my driving assessment and interview on March 10th at 08:15! Looks like I'll be doing my assessment in rush hour.
    I'm not bothered at all but haven't done an interview in 15 years! How long does the whole process take? I'm thinking not more than two hours?

Regarding the shifts. If I am lucky enough to get a position. What time does the evening shift start?

Advertisement