Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

This is a company rule same as no ear phones, no Bluetooth handsfree for phone etc.

If I didn't have the tunes I would go nuts all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

This is a company rule same as no ear phones, no Bluetooth handsfree for phone etc.

If I didn't have the tunes I would go nuts all together.

Wait, drivers are't allowed to listen to the radio? I hear them listening to it all the time though? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MaciG

Is it allowed the bus drivers at DublinBus to use any sort of GPS system? (Cell phone,etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

MaciG wrote: »
    Is it allowed the bus drivers at DublinBus to use any sort of GPS system? (Cell phone,etc)
    No.

You're trained on all the routes you will be driving so no need for GPS, if you get lost you contact central control via the radio and they direct you if necessary. If caught using a phone in service expect a visit to see your manager!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

What's the issue with not being allowed use the radio?
    I'm a coach driver just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

I see bus drivers listening to the radio all the time. I occasionally see earphones as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

While personally I don't use a radio, there a quite a few drivers who do.
    The company maintain that it's a distraction, and anything that distracts the driver can lead to an accident.
    They are particularly aggressive now on someone talking to the driver, be it a passenger, or a co-worker, after a recent court case in which someone was awarded over 6million euro.That driver was chatting with a colleague when a kid was pushed out onto the road in front of him and things didn't end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

rx8 wrote: »
    The company maintain that it's a distraction, and anything that distracts the driver can lead to an accident.
    They are particularly aggressive now on someone talking to the driver, be it a passenger, or a co-worker,

It's very rare I notice a radio but the drivers friend is very common.

If management want it to stop they aren't succeeding

If I or you or anyone for that matter are driving a car and happen to have passengers onboard and we are listening to the radio and chatting away does this mean if someone that stupidly runs out and is hit who is to blame as from some of these cases that have gone to court where db have been really punished and have done nothing wrong.

The case of the student who ran out and got awarded millions the driver was not even talking but because a passenger had asked something and talking had stopped for over 4 seconds and bus was travelling well under the speed limit and driver done all he could without warning the judge still decided he was or would have been distracted.

All I can say is its a horrible thing to happen to the teenager but also feel terrible for the driver.

Everyone should be made more aware of the dangers of the roads and how to cross them and actually take some responsibility for their own actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

They are particularly aggressive now on someone talking to the driver, be it a passenger, or a co-worker, after a recent court case in which someone was awarded over 6million euro.That driver was chatting with a colleague when a kid was pushed out onto the road in front of him and things didn't end well.

Its BS the one and only reason they dont want radios is because of the recording music rights, and you have to pay to play music in a public place, how can a radio be distracting for a city bus driver but no one else ? Not private motorists, not taxi drivers, not other bus drivers, truck drivers, etc etc it can only apparently distract DB drivers they must be a special breed of easily distracted drivers so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It's only fair to note that the Busdriver in this case was NOT "chatting with a colleague",and the child was NOT pushed out on to the road.

The award was NOT €6 million but €9 million with the company held 70% liable.

http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/bce24a8184816f1580256ef30048ca50/f25f389292473c9a80257ca50058f6fd?OpenDocument

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

VG31 wrote: »
    I see bus drivers listening to the radio all the time. I occasionally see earphones as well.

Could they be watching Céili House on Radio Eireann....?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

A friend of mine is a driver for another bus company. He dislikes the current job and I've been encouraging him to go for the DB position. He used work for DB several years ago, but he maintains that due to being very overweight he won't pass the medical. Is there any truth in this?

Aard wrote: »
    A friend of mine is a driver for another bus company. He dislikes the current job and I've been encouraging him to go for the DB position. He used work for DB several years ago, but he maintains that due to being very overweight he won't pass the medical. Is there any truth in this?

There is an element of truth in this.

However,that should not prevent him applying,as the actual Medical itself will dictate the Company's attitude.

There are quite a few new drivers who were given a weight-loss target in order to secure a job-offer,and who succeeded in that.

It's not only BAC who are adopting this approach,as the modern practice on Occupational Health is focusing on such things amongst professional drivers as a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It's only fair to note that the Busdriver in this case was NOT "chatting with a colleague",and the child was NOT pushed out on to the road.

The award was NOT €6 million but €9 million with the company held 70% liable.

http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/bce24a8184816f1580256ef30048ca50/f25f389292473c9a80257ca50058f6fd?OpenDocument

I stand corrected... clearly I shouldn't be listening to all that canteen talk!

But 3 posts in 21 minutes Bill, what had you up so late ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 flash123123

DB call me yesterday :). Starting in january...
    Happy days. :)

Hi I was told I'm starting in January too did you get a date??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 skorpionick

Hi I was told I'm starting in January too did you get a date??

Yes. I got call with starting date and contract by post 2 days later. Starting this monday 2 weeks training.

A bit OT I suppose, but since this is the discussion thread for new DB bus drivers I'll ask here.

Are new DB bus drivers told to use the centre doors or are you discouraged? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

A bit OT I suppose, but since this is the discussion thread for new DB bus drivers I'll ask here.

Are new DB bus drivers told to use the centre doors or are you discouraged? Thanks.
    Instructed to use them when necessary, but only when parallel with the kerb and kerb space is available and unobstructed.

Is there still any union related reasons why a fair amount of drivers won't use the centre doors or is it just habit of not using them in the past?
    There have been a few new drivers on my route recently but none of them used the centre doors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

macroman wrote: »
    Instructed to use them when necessary, but only when parallel with the kerb and kerb space is available and unobstructed.

See, that is where I disagree with it, It should be:
    "Instructed to use them when parallel with the kerb and kerb space is available and unobstructed."

The fact that a phrase like "Use them when necessary" is used says it all. It's like, only use them if you absolutely have to. All it does is give rise to the view that customers are seen as an inconvenience.

The previous labour court ruling about centre doors and the fact drivers should not be forced to use them is always used to justify this, whereas the ruling itself was made with view to stop drivers being forced to open doors when it was unsafe. But it's also now being used as an excuse for not using them at all.

Obviously because the court ruled that the drivers could not be forced to use the doors, it becomes impossible for the company to force drivers to use the doors at any time, regardless if their is safety issues or not.

Heaven help someone think of the customers and the bigger picture.

devnull wrote: »
    See, that is where I disagree with it, It should be:
    "Instructed to use them when parallel with the kerb and kerb space is available and unobstructed."

The fact that a phrase like "Use them when necessary" is used says it all. It's like, only use them if you absolutely have to. All it does is give rise to the view that customers are seen as an inconvenience.

The previous labour court ruling about centre doors and the fact drivers should not be forced to use them is always used to justify this, whereas the ruling itself was made with view to stop drivers being forced to open doors when it was unsafe. But it's also now being used as an excuse for not using them at all.

Why would you need them open when 1 or a few are only getting off and are standing waiting to get off at front door.

It takes longer for rear doors to open and close.

I will give you a good 1 where 3 were getting off on Kildare st when there were barriers up so only place to open front doors I got ate out of it from a thick going on about how they were wanting to get out of centre doors and demanded them to be open.

I pointed out that she would have to climb over the high fence but she went nuts and eventually got out the front still giving out.

Wow I have learnt a lot over the years you could have 10 doors and someone would still be having a go.

Wow,I have learnt a lot over the years you could have 10 doors and someone would still be having a go.

What I have learned over the past 3 years,has considerably dampened my initial enthusiasm for multi-door operation.

I now believe that the essence of our significant and worseneing Dwell-Time problem in Dublin,has far more to do with Fare Collection/Validation than Doors.

I spend far too much of my operational time attempting to persuade people to Exit via the Centre Doors,involving both repeated playing of the canned announcement and P/A exhortations to the same effect.

However,it usually comes down to having to keep the front door closed and suffer the abuse,and at times having people double-back and make a wild rush to force their way through those boarding at the belatedly opened front-door.

The actual process of centre-door operation is no longer the simple button-push of the Leyland/Van-Hool/Bombardier years.

Back then it was the actual door operating mechansims which were tempermental,but today,the process is significantly impeded by raft of (supposedly) safety related electro-pneumatic interlocks and warnings,all of which regularly impede smooth and efficient operation.

Continually having to prevail upon people to keep the Centre Exit clear or remove their baggage from it also tends to cause significant exchanges of pleasantries,particularly when vacant seats can be seen all over the upper saloon on the Stairwell Monitor.....:rolleyes:

Also of note is the considerable extra observation requirement now involved with Centre Door operation via Multi-Camera CCTV and Spot Mirror,in the black n white days,the advice was "mind yerself now",whereas today,the question is "Who's going to mind me?".

The Safety Related issues,which many posters here (mistakenly)see as Union Inspired,have in fact substantially increased in number and nature,with the actual Bus-Stop layout,now being somewhat less central than heretofore,whereas passenger behaviour and action subsequent to alighting the bus a newly relevant cause for concern.

As of now,I would be prevailing upon the NTA,to reconsider it's thinking on the issue,with a view towards trialing some Long-Wheelbase,High Seating Capacity Double Decks (A Lá Transport for Edinburgh).

This would entail the introduction of Single Card Validation,or Flat Fare,or No-Cash Transaction methods of payment,along with a second or third remote validator positioned downstream of the driver.

Attention to design detail,such as specifying the widest possible door opening,fastest allowable door operating speed and widest throat/aisle width would,I now believe,have far more benefit than persisting with the attempts to change commuters human-nature.

If the NTA wish to persist with the current programme,then I would suggest a VERY high flat-fare,with significant journey related rebate,obtained as you Tag-Out AT THE CENTRE DOOR ONLY....apart from customer blood-pressure issues,that could just about make multi-door operation actually WORK.

Thanks for that very detailed and well explained answer AlekSmart.

I can understand why passengers go to the front door by default on your bus as lots of drivers never use them. As an example a few weeks ago I was on a GT that was completely full but the driver did not use the centre doors at any stop much to the annoyance of many passengers who shouted at him many times to open the centre doors.
    People will not wait by the centre doors unless they know they will open.

That tag-off only at the centre doors is a good idea as it would force drivers to use them as passengers would not want to be charged the max fare.

Thanks for that very detailed and well explained answer AlekSmart.

I can understand why passengers go to the front door by default on your bus as lots of drivers never use them. As an example a few weeks ago I was on a GT that was completely full but the driver did not use the centre doors at any stop much to the annoyance of many passengers who shouted at him many times to open the centre doors.

People will not wait by the centre doors unless they know they will open.

That tag-off only at the centre doors is a good idea as it would force drivers to use them as passengers would not want to be charged the max fare.

I'm not asking people to wait beside the Centre Door in any vain hope of seeing them open.

I'm describing a situation where I repeatedly announce that the Centre Doors are in Operation,play the canned announcement also,and yet watch in befuddlement as folks stare at me and mutter sweet nothings when I won't open the front door to let them OUT....:confused:

I have no problem accepting the frustration you describe,however what is truly baffling to me,is the LARGE numbers of people who will simply look out through the OPEN Centre Door,walk directly past it to stand glaring through the CLOSED front door before turning their stony gaze upon ME.

It is bizzarre,abberational behaviour and amazingly prevalent across all ages,genders and races.....:confused:

The only other solution I can come up with is a uni-directional barrier,just inside the front-door to allow passengers inwards only.
    However I also know that this is significantly counter to NTA thinking on customer flow...:(

I'm not certain of what your point on the Handbrake Siren is ?

The Centre Door cannot be operated until the Handbrake is ON,as the door button is not electronically enabled until then.
    There is a seperate Centre Door Operation siren which operates in conjunction with each door operation.

I have seen the barrier you described on buses in Germany before. The only problem with that is the ramp with have to be located at the centre doors instead and the wheelchair bay would have to be relocated opposite it like in London.

I understand how you feel about people ignoring the centre doors. I have seen people standing beside the (opening) centre doors for the whole journey but when it is their stop they go to the front to exit. I also heard two old women saying how the centre doors were great after they saw people using them but when they exited the used the front doors!

I have not seen many drivers make people use the centre doors like you unfortunately but one did a while ago. He went on the PA and said to use the centre doors and when he stopped he opened the centre doors and waited a few seconds before opening the front doors. That's one of the only times I've seen every single person use the centre doors.

Edit: I don't mean the centre door closing noise, I don't mind that. I mean the constant beeping/alarm noise when the bus is stopped with the front door open and the handbrake off. There are one or two drivers on my route that do this all the time, I can't understand how it doesn't drive them mad! This point has nothing to do with the centre doors, as you stated the centre doors cannot be opened with the handbrake off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 flash123123

Yes. I got call with starting date and contract by post 2 days later. Starting this monday 2 weeks training.

Cheers for that. I won't be starting on Monday so hopefully I'll be starting with the next group for the training..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭poggyone

AlekSmart wrote: »
    what is truly baffling to me,is the LARGE numbers of people who will simply look out through the OPEN Centre Door,walk directly past it to stand glaring through the CLOSED front door before turning their stony gaze upon ME.
    You are creating problems for yourself, just open both doors, why do you care which door they exit from?

poggyone wrote: »
    You are creating problems for yourself, just open both doors, why do you care which door they exit from?

It helps stimulate fresh thinking,and is also good problem solving practice.....;)

• Advertisement

I have seen the barrier you described on buses in Germany before. The only problem with that is the ramp with have to be located at the centre doors instead and the wheelchair bay would have to be relocated opposite it like in London.

I understand how you feel about people ignoring the centre doors. I have seen people standing beside the (opening) centre doors for the whole journey but when it is their stop they go to the front to exit. I also heard two old women saying how the centre doors were great after they saw people using them but when they exited the used the front doors!

I have not seen many drivers make people use the centre doors like you unfortunately but one did a while ago. He went on the PA and said to use the centre doors and when he stopped he opened the centre doors and waited a few seconds before opening the front doors. That's one of the only times I've seen every single person use the centre doors.

Edit: I don't mean the centre door closing noise, I don't mind that. I mean the constant beeping/alarm noise when the bus is stopped with the front door open and the handbrake off. There are one or two drivers on my route that do this all the time, I can't understand how it doesn't drive them mad! This point has nothing to do with the centre doors, as you stated the centre doors cannot be opened with the handbrake off.

The Wrightbus mod I refer to also encompasses front-door operation.
    As opening either door also applies the automatic door-brake,this alarm is indeed superfluous.

In normal operation,the Bus cannot be driven with either door open.

As the mod is rolled out,the incidences of the infernal racket should diminish. :)

Advertisement