Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

just gona take him to win the belt to stop people whining simple as that.... anyway whingers and haters are actually paying McGregor directly with their internet posts comments etc by raising his profile higher and higher with every complaint and excuse so I say hate away you're putting suits on his back with every excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Gumbi wrote: »
    "Properly tested" said everyone about each opponent before they were promptly dispatched.

Look, I'll grant you this, they are avoiding wrestlers for now to make exciting fights (like I said it's the entertainment business). But Holloway is no joke. Neither is Brandao, despite his brawly nature. And for sure Poirier is no joke. He lost twice - once to someone who fought for the title, and decisioned against Cub who is on a 6 fight win streak and on the cusp of fighting for the title.

People will look for any excuse to begrudge. Brandao took a fall, Poirier took a fall. Hand picked opponents. Illegal blows (which were LEGAL by the way, not even a grey area, look up the rules).

No doubt about it Conor is the real deal. Next step up though are some scary and very durable guys like Aldo/Mendes/Cub/Edgar etc. If they are promising the winner of Cub/Edgar a title fight Conor's next fight could be winner of Bermudez/Lamas or even the winner of Cub/Edgar, all possible match ups are exciting. Featherweight is a cracking division.

just realised Gunni and Pendred few days away ahhh excited again... this is great fun.... so much better with our lads (incl adopted ones) in there... then Paddy soon and Ais THE bash in Dec... happy days indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

even tho i do think the UFC are protecting him somewhat in handpicking his opponents.
    Keys say you have full control over his match making, who would you have picked for each of his matches?

(Imo it's ludicrous to say anyone other than Porrier for last match as they had been at it on twitter and Porrier virtually called him out/accepted a match after the Brandao fight.
    Hes a good fighter and i look forward to seeing him properly tested. But i would like him more if his schtick didnt seem so forced.
    You think top 5 fighters aren't a test?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Looking forward to see Gunni and Paddy. I hope Cathal doesn't get himself into another brawl!

• Advertisement

Cathals comeback is going to serve as my pre tough mudder inspiration on Sat morning I swear to god if you were there in the 02 to see him come back and win that one ... there was some UK journalist sitting beside me with a tear in his eye just kept repeating 'howd did he do that how did he do that that's not possible he was gone he was done'. Neveforgetit anyway there ya go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

Davei141 wrote: »
    Talking to people mid fight is a tactic, it has nothing to do with toying with people (in 90% of cases anyway), it is to throw them off their game and make them make a mistake/be hesitant. The haymaker comment is just flat out bizarre i don't even know what that is supposed to mean? Good luck with your opinions on future McGregor fights.

I said the shot to put him down was hardly a hayemaker whats so bizarre about that? he didnt swing for the fence to take his head of it was a routine double jab setting up a left,I maintain poirier got lucky to be out in 2 minutes because he would have had minutes of eating clean shots before being finished,how anyone can argue with that is far fetched

just realised Gunni and Pendred few days away ahhh excited again... this is great fun.... so much better with our lads (incl adopted ones) in there... then Paddy soon and Ais THE bash in Dec... happy days indeed.

Paddy is fighting saturday too,dont want you missing it incase you mean december (sorry if you didn)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Gumbi wrote: »

People will look for any excuse to begrudge.

Or maybe i just dont like his attitude and the way he carries himself? I dont 'begrudge' him, same as i dont begrude someone like Seery, as hes a down to earth guy who comes across as being genuinely sound, ditto for Pendred. Id much rather see them fly the flag for Ireland in the UFC than some loudmouth.
    I dont like how McGregor carries himself as it seems like an act to me, and i dont find poor attempts at **** talking entertaining. If he actually had the wits or humour of Ali, okay fair enough, but 'oil bleedin knock his nose on de udder soide of his face' doesnt really do anything for me.
    But no of course, it must be begrudgery, cant criticize the man without being obviously jealous of him and a hater etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Or maybe i just dont like his attitude and the way he carries himself? I dont 'begrudge' him, same as i dont begrude someone like Seery, as hes a down to earth guy who comes across as being genuinely sound, ditto for Pendred. Id much rather see them fly the flag for Ireland in the UFC than some loudmouth.
    I dont like how McGregor carries himself as it seems like an act to me, and i dont find poor attempts at **** talking entertaining. If he actually had the wits or humour of Ali, okay fair enough, but 'oil bleedin knock his nose on de udder soide of his face' doesnt really do anything for me.
    But no of course, it must be begrudgery, cant criticize the man without being obviously jealous of him and a hater etc etc
    einstein!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

I dont understand why people get so worked up about others not liking McGregor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

xtal191 wrote: »
    I dont understand why people get so worked up about others not liking McGregor.

I personally don't have a problem with people not liking the guy either. However, what I really don't understand is why people who don't like McGregor insist on coming on to the "Official Conor McGregor Thread" to say that they don't like him. I personally wouldn't want to spend any of my time reading posts and posting about a guy I don't like. Apologies if this is off topic but I just find it puzzling.

Anyway, back on topic - superb performance by McGregor both in the fight and in terms of his contribution to promoting the fight and the event. Amazing that he can remain focused on his training with all the distractions of the media commitments going on as well.

well the truth is always slightly more nuanced than we'd prefer.

so I'd reckon his media stuff and conference stuff is part of the game which he's brilliant at, as was Chael in a different sort of way (and god did he give us a laugh) but then there is the actual McGregor unshakeable confidence in his own ability and a clear vision of his own destiny which he weaves into his media act in a very clever way which he himself understands completely.... it's not that he's actually lying or anything it's more of a case of using a clever strategy to gain as much attention in order to move into the big money sphere as quickly as possible while also doing the whole fighting thing quite well too. It's a total package and it's driven by an actual belief in himself not just purely an act.. along the lines of what Chael did (which was purely unrealistic comedic theater).

The McGregor gameplan only works because he is good enough to do the winning part, once he has created his own opportunities. He sees a goal and runs towards it shouting as loud as he can which literally brings his athletic and monetary goals closer and closer the more we pay attention, either to admire or hate him and it ain't always gona be P.C. and he doesn't give a sht whether it is or not nor does Kavanagh and his team, they're athletes there to win primarily and if they can win the media and hype game too then they improve their chances at getting the big fights which they feel they can win and I don't see one single problem with that attitude of total commitment although it's a given that it's not a typical Irish trait amongst our competitive athletes historically. You didn't hear Sonya mouthing off at her competitors but that's a whole other world which is part of the misunderstanding of what Conor is doing, very well, and people are not used to the MMA media game because most haters IMO are newer to the sport and transcribe their attitude from other sports - to MMA - which is not helpful ...especially for them coz they'd enjoy it hell of a lot more if they understood it a bit better...both the fighting and the UFC media game.

The reality is he gains beneifits from what he's doing and it doesn't hurt anyone and every other fighter would love to get the attention he's getting - but ya gotta have the Ninja skills to back up the Ninja mouth! He seems to have it all and he gives not 1 fuk about being a perfect role model across all main stream media and society nor should he. His attitude simply shows his aptitude and competency for unarmed one against one combat where you only gain from your own actions, it turns out inside AND outside the cage. He aint perfect but he exhibits a strength and ability to see a goal and then actualise it, something most of us would love to be able to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

well the truth is always slightly more nuanced than we'd prefer.

so I'd reckon his media stuff and conference stuff is part of the game which he's brilliant at, as was Chael in a different sort of way (and god did he give us a laugh) but then there is the actual McGregor unshakeable confidence in his own ability and a clear vision of his own destiny which he weaves into his media act in a very clever way which he himself understands completely.... it's not that he's actually lying or anything it's more of a case of using a clever strategy to gain as much attention in order to move into the big money sphere as quickly as possible while also doing the whole fighting thing quite well too. It's a total package and it's driven by an actual belief in himself not just purely an act.. along the lines of what Chael did (which was purely unrealistic comedic theater).

The McGregor gameplan only works because he is good enough to do the winning part, once he has created his own opportunities. He sees a goal and runs towards it shouting as loud as he can which literally brings his athletic and monetary goals closer and closer the more we pay attention, either to admire or hate him and it ain't always gona be P.C. and he doesn't give a sht whether it is or not nor does Kavanagh and his team, they're athletes there to win primarily and if they can win the media and hype game too then they improve their chances at getting the big fights which they feel they can win and I don't see one single problem with that attitude of total commitment although it's a given that it's not a typical Irish trait amongst our competitive athletes historically. You didn't hear Sonya mouthing off at her competitors but that's a whole other world which is part of the misunderstanding of what Conor is doing, very well, and people are not used to the MMA media game because most haters IMO are newer to the sport and transcribe their attitude from other sports - to MMA - which is not helpful ...especially for them coz they'd enjoy it hell of a lot more if they understood it a bit better...both the fighting and the UFC media game.

The reality is he gains beneifits from what he's doing and it doesn't hurt anyone and every other fighter would love to get the attention he's getting - but ya gotta have the Ninja skills to back up the Ninja mouth! He seems to have it all and he gives not 1 fuk about being a perfect role model across all main stream media and society nor should he. His attitude simply shows his aptitude and competency for unarmed one against one combat where you only gain from your own actions, it turns out inside AND outside the cage. He aint perfect but he exhibits a strength and ability to see a goal and then actualise it, something most of us would love to be able to do.

Totally agree with this ^^

Another thing is this ''act'' that people call it isnt new,hes been the same person since he started go back and look at his interviews from years ago so if ppl think the fame or money has changed him or made him this way you're mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I remember Conor posting comments on this very forum back in the day talking about how everyone in Ireland was ducking him etc, the outspoken character and belief that he is the best is clearly for real....the more ridiculous mocking of his opponents over completely irrelevant stuff (peahead etc...) seems to be more for entertainment value, and to a lesser extent, to maybe attempt to get under his opponents skin a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    I remember Conor posting comments on this very forum back in the day talking about how everyone in Ireland was ducking him etc

Found him

hmm not sure smart move but hownever, hilarious :-)

blackbelt1 wrote: »
    I maintain poirier got lucky to be out in 2 minutes because he would have had minutes of eating clean shots before being finished,how anyone can argue with that is far fetched

Nobody disagreed with that :confused:
    We said the "playing with him" part was nonsense. The part you coincidently dropped from the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Conor is on Vincent Browne now. Check him out on tv3

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

253211_836566459716489_8104688383550361845_n.jpg?oh=99edb74f002b417e92909cb919ee7268&oe=54CC57C4&__gda__=1421133625_087349e99ee4132b3f0b4c681d0e1287

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

• Advertisement

mark13 wrote: »
    I seen that but assumed he was joking. Diego is fighting Norman Parke in Mexico City. It shows the influence he has when 100s of people are tweeting and talking about and nobody is mentioning the fact Diego is booked already, and is in the 155 division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

If it isn't true then it's pretty funny as he will wind up both parke and diego.

Id like to see him a LW next aa the top FW are tied up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Mellor wrote: »
    I seen that but assumed he was joking. Diego is fighting Norman Parke in Mexico City. It shows the influence he has when 100s of people are tweeting and talking about and nobody is mentioning the fact Diego is booked already, and is in the 155 division.

If it is happening Conor has spoken about wanting to move up a weight class and Diego has spoken about being willing to move down a weight class to fw to face conor, either could happen.

Maybe parke has to pull out due to injury and Conor is stepping in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

Guaranteed war if this happens. I'm convinced you can't knock Diego out, unless... ; )

McG making serious waves in 2 divisions if he wins this.

Diego's sloppy and gets tagged a lot, but he gives out plenty too. Gut instinct would be Conor by decision with a few scares for both fighters along the way

/edit going by twitter this isn't on :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

its happening

STORMIN NORMAN PARKE retweeted
    Athlete Motivation @LV_Sports · Sep 30
    Competitors take bad breaks and use them to drive themselves. Quitters take bad breaks & use them as reasons to give up. -Nancy Lopez

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

peteeeed wrote: »
    its happening

User Actions
    Following

STORMIN NORMAN PARKEVerified account
    @norman_parke
    Easy for mcgregor!!!

Competitors take bad breaks and use them to drive themselves. Quitters take bad breaks & use them as reasons to give up. -Nancy Lopez

I thought the 'easy for Mcgregor' tweet by Norman referred to the manner in which Connor won against DP.

If it is happening Conor has spoken about wanting to move up a weight class and Diego has spoken about being willing to move down a weight class to fw to face conor, either could happen.
    I remember Diego sayign that. I didn;t believe him at the time, and there's no way he chases Conor to 145 after his last 2 wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

John_D80 wrote: »
    I thought the 'easy for Mcgregor' tweet by Norman referred to the manner in which Connor won against DP.

yeah you're right. the second quote looks like he is injured though

peteeeed wrote: »
    its happening

Maybe you should check the date on that tweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

It's popping up on all the usual sites and elsewhere as well but still unconfirmed. They are all reporting that he has tweeted it. No one has actually went firm on it and said it is happening. And nothing yet from the UFC that I have seen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement