Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Conor now ranked number 5 FW in UFC.

Nik Lentz is going loco on twitter

.@TheNotoriousMMA You've ducked me for 2 years. Time to step up & get an All-American ass whoppin! @ufc @danawhite @seanshelby @arielhelwani

The only **** I have to give to all the McGregor nut huggers on my Twitter. #HatersPayMyBills http://t.co/5I0q7JArTB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Convenient that he's coming out with that now. Why wait 2 years?

Also, 'been ducking him for 2 years', even though he was out for about a year after the Holloway fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,039 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

yipeeeee wrote: »
    I'm sure Gunnar has hit him hard in training!
    They spar with 16s, not 4s. And prob wear headgear when going full whack.

I think it's a bit silly to say he hasn't been hit hard. He lost half a tooth FFS. If anything, that's a good thing. It removed the whole "his chin isn't tested" nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Not sure if this was posted already, Robin Blacks 'breakdown of McGregor'

http://youtu.be/4PZlFnddq-U

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

' Conor McGregor: $150,000 (includes $75,000 win bonus) '

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-178-Salaries-Demetrious-Johnson-36183K-Conor-McGregor-36150K-Top-Payroll-74785

Fastest I've ever seen a UFC fighter reach that sort of money. I assume he'll get a lot more if ahem WHEN he wins his next one after absolutely dominating this event both pre, during and post helping to make the event a great success probably making the UFC many millions more than they would have otherwise. They're going to throw skips of cash at him now.... and its all down to his ridiculous ability to generate interest in him from fans and haters alike. Hope he's smart with his earnings coz he could be set for life within the next 24 months... great to see the UFC pay out properly to the fighters who earn them hundreds of millions of dollars each year and with GSP and Silva sidelined of late McGregor is an absolute god-sent to Dana. Let's see Dana do a Mir on Conor after his next fight and ring him up and give him a million bucks as a bonus for being big part of a huge show! Would love to see that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

T-K-O wrote: »
    Not sure if this was posted already, Robin Blacks 'breakdown of McGregor'

http://youtu.be/4PZlFnddq-U

Thanks for posting this. There's been a few vids like this previously but none I have seen, were as well presented as this.

I think more than anything it highlights the fact that he is putting guys like Poirier away as easily as he managed the likes of Buchinger, who is the genuine article in his own right but not really at UFC level. At the time he fought them, Buchinger and Hill were the greatest challenges he had faced up to then.

This to me is the real indicator of how much he has grown as a fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

John Kavanagh, although not quite Conor McGregor, gives a great interview here about all things SBG, MMA and UFC: http://www.openmatradio.com/?p=2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

John_D80 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this. There's been a few vids like this previously but none I have seen, were as well presented as this.

I think more than anything it highlights the fact that he is putting guys like Poirier away as easily as he managed the likes of Buchinger, who is the genuine article in his own right but not really at UFC level. At the time he fought them, Buchinger and Hill were the greatest challenges he had faced up to then.

This to me is the real indicator of how much he has grown as a fighter.
    What way would the coaches be paid?

Would it be by the ufc or the fighters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

yipeeeee wrote: »
    What way would the coaches be paid?

Would it be by the ufc or the fighters?

Nothing to do with the UFC. The coaches wouldn't be paid other than gym fees by the fighter (of course travel would be paid by the UFC.

But I'm sure Conor gave John a few quid, he said he gave him 10 grand from his 60gs bonus in his debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Is McGregor getting a cut of the PPV also?

srumball wrote: »
    Is McGregor getting a cut of the PPV also?

Nope, he's just waiting on the numbers to show what kind of crowds he can pull in for future negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Nope, he's just waiting on the numbers to show what kind of crowds he can pull in for future negotiations.

Thought not alright. His deal was for 5 fights initially. I'd say he cant wait to get the next one out the way.

srumball wrote: »
    Thought not alright. His deal was for 5 fights initially. I'd say he cant wait to get the next one out the way.

He recently signed a new 8 fight contract with the 75k/75k pay but he said he would be top 2 paid in the UFC if/when he wins the gold. Unbelievable money but I'd say he has no problem letting the UFC know what he's worth to them and they know it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

These fighters should be paid more than footballers.I hope Conor and others make all they can as they will not be around long.

He recently signed a new 8 fight contract with the 75k/75k pay but he said he would be top 2 paid in the UFC if/when he wins the gold. Unbelievable money but I'd say he has no problem letting the UFC know what he's worth to them and they know it to.

that's awesome I didn't see that anywhere
    I'd say there's also ma-jor backroom bonuses going on that we don't know about
    He's already made them millions of dollars so 75/75 is still not equitable in my book not saying 75/75 isn't good relatively speaking but he's not like other fighters he's single handedly turned up the volume on the 145 division to 11 so I hope he's taking them for everything he possibly can while the iron is red hot!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

that's awesome I didn't see that anywhere
    I'd say there's also ma-jor backroom bonuses going on that we don't know about
    He's already made them millions of dollars so 75/75 is still not equitable in my book not saying 75/75 isn't good relatively speaking but he's not like other fighters he's single handedly turned up the volume on the 145 division to 11 so I hope he's taking them for everything he possibly can while the iron is red hot!

I'm sure he knows what he's doing,

but from seeing videos and footage of him, he likes spending it too (who wouldn't?), I do hope he is being sensible with his money for the long term.
    He's worked so hard to get to where he is, and like in any sport, 1 bad injury could take it all away, and the cheques stop coming!!

Anyone any idea of his net worth at the moment?

and I hope Dethrone are paying him what he's worth too.... I'd say they're shiftn a lottt of gear coz of him.... he's got about 70 products on their siite...

http://www.dethrone.com/collections/ready

thing is though his unique form of self belief is about knowing that you're gooing to succeed if you keep on your path and to just be happy and have fun and spend money and live the life all in one... it's a package deal... it's not like GSP quiet and reserved and conservative he's havin fun and loving every second and he's not afraid to show it coz he believes so much that he's only gettin started and can reach dizzying heights in all regards... and I love that. But at the same time we alll worry about rags to riches stories coz we've seen them fk it up so many times. He's got good people around him and he's in a proper relationship from what I can tell and he is very intelligent even if people here slag the accent or whatever the guys sharp as a tack and with JK and SBG team mates surrounding him he'll be fine.He was a messer before, years back, ended up staying with Kavanagh in his gaf just to keep him focused and training but now he's clearly on what he calls 'his journey' and it's a brilliant thing to witness... somebody saying 'fk it I'm good enough to get it all so that's what I'm gona do'. I'm enjoying watching an Irish lad break out of the traditional irish character, the underdog mentality, and just going for it with both hands!... luckily in a sport I love, and not feckin golf or something ;-)

On the MMA Hour yesterday, John said he threw on one of Conor's suits for a test drive but was afraid he'd spill something on it as the one suit cost more than John spent on clothes in his whole life :pac: And Conor brought 10 suits to Vegas!

I saw on Twitter someone asked Cobow how come Conor earned more money than him and Cowboy replied 'I gues he markets himself better' and that's what it's all about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

On tv last night it said that Poirier has won more UFC fights at featherweight than any other UFC fighter (8 fights). Can this be true? I notice that Aldo has only won 6 UFC fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    On tv last night it said that Poirier has won more UFC fights at featherweight than any other UFC fighter (8 fights). Can this be true? I notice that Aldo has only won 6 UFC fights.

I'd well believe it if it were true. He's one of the original WEC guys and he's been one of the most active in the division since its inception.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just watched the replay on 3e last night..i'm a newbie causal fan but that was some night..Zingano v nunes...that was something to behold. Not sure about the Tim Kennedy fight, i guess one should always be prepared to give it your all, but was that a dirty move by the cuban??

As for Conor, looked absolutely clinical to me. I guess a good smack to the brain is worth 10 to the pus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

' Conor McGregor: $150,000 (includes $75,000 win bonus) '

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-178-Salaries-Demetrious-Johnson-36183K-Conor-McGregor-36150K-Top-Payroll-74785

Fastest I've ever seen a UFC fighter reach that sort of money. I assume he'll get a lot more if ahem WHEN he wins his next one after absolutely dominating this event both pre, during and post helping to make the event a great success probably making the UFC many millions more than they would have otherwise. They're going to throw skips of cash at him now.... and its all down to his ridiculous ability to generate interest in him from fans and haters alike. Hope he's smart with his earnings coz he could be set for life within the next 24 months... great to see the UFC pay out properly to the fighters who earn them hundreds of millions of dollars each year and with GSP and Silva sidelined of late McGregor is an absolute god-sent to Dana. Let's see Dana do a Mir on Conor after his next fight and ring him up and give him a million bucks as a bonus for being big part of a huge show! Would love to see that!

He also got 50 grand bonus on top of this for fight of the night.

This is all pre-tax of course, and it's USD so it works out at 158k EUR... After the government take their share it's about 71 grand EUR. I think he's made close to 130k EUR over his whole career after tax, the majority of which is already spent. His motto has been "make it, blow it, make it again".

I agree with him to an extent - it's worth blowing the initial money now to promote himself and establish an image (suits, etc).

The figures above are only for his fights by the way, and a well established UFC fighter should make more money outside of fighting than from fighting.

We can expect a book or two, a few DVDs, loads of merchandise and so on.

The top paid UFC fighter earned a little over 4 million dollars fighting money over their whole career. I could see him clearing 6 or 7 million fighting money if he keeps going the way he's going, but with everything else added in he has to potential to make serious cash given the US following he has built up since beating Poirier.

He wants to look after his family - all power to him. I hope he makes an absolute fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

I'm so glad that all the detractors have been silenced!! FINALLY!! What does the dude have to do?? As far as tax goes I think there is some clause about a low rate of tax for sports people, kinda like artists if i'm not mistaken! Fair play to the lad I hope he makes millions upon millions he knows how to market himself. Apparently the suits he collected in vegas were a gift from the fertitas,

I'm so glad that all the detractors have been silenced!! FINALLY!!

But those were back-of-the-head strikes!!!! crying emoticon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

But those were back-of-the-head strikes!!!! crying emoticon

The sad thing is they were ALL legal strikes. Back of the head strikes are NOT explicitly illegal. only when the back of the head is targeted deliberately is it deemed illegal.

And if someone is falling down and not down and not defending themselves then they are legal.

It's not even a grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

I'm so glad that all the detractors have been silenced!! FINALLY!! What does the dude have to do?? As far as tax goes I think there is some clause about a low rate of tax for sports people, kinda like artists if i'm not mistaken! Fair play to the lad I hope he makes millions upon millions he knows how to market himself. Apparently the suits he collected in vegas were a gift from the fertitas,

Think there is a tax rate of 30% for athletes, entertainers etc... with a limited time on their career. Either way a good accountant would be one of the most important things he could do right now.

He should be lashing cash into things like pension fund for himself etc...

I'd say a lot of the suits and stuff might be arriving for free at this stage in exchange for name dropping and publicity.

One would hope that his mind frame would be happy to pay back into the system to help out those less fortunate than himself and not to do a U2!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,039 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pedro1234 wrote: »
    The top paid UFC fighter earned a little over 4 million dollars fighting money over their whole career.
    The most a fighter made for a single fight was allegedly 5million.

And unless you're Conor accountant you've no idea what sort of tax he's paid. It's not PAYE. And he'd be able to deduct certain expenses too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

It is a fairly decent purse for fighting but you can’t underestimate the money that goes into sponsorship at the top levels. I know somebody that was involved with a company that used Brian O Driscoll in a TV advertisement. It cost the company €100,000.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was revealed that JOE.ie or King Crisps paid money akin to that. God only knows what Dethrone are paying his. Picking this complete out of my backside but I’d say if you looked at the big stars Weidman, Rousey, Jones I’d say his shirts are doing ten times the business theirs are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement