Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

So basically McGregor just put up false information on his Twitter page? Is that all there is to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    So basically McGregor just put up false information on his Twitter page? Is that all there is to it?

He's trolling for a reaction, pretty funny when you think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

I think there owuld be some major benefits to it happening and Conor winning.

It gives Dana a chance to give Conor a fight now, this year, without having to solve the 'what do we do with McGregor now' problem.

It would boost the sht out of UFC 180 which is a very important card for the UFC this year and that extra 5+ million they do in PPV as a direct result of Conor's rise and hype and mouth and fame would go on their 2014 account and greatly help their year which was supposed to be suffering from lack of Silva and GSP buzz.

Conor woud gain respect for beating Diego no matter how bad we think he is or isn't now coz he's a big dude at 155 and he at least presents the image of the challenge of fighting a war and by asking for it McGregor is hushing more and more naysayers by stepping up.

They've already bantered on Twitter etc so there's history so the hype would be easy to build.

It would fill in the time while the other FW top 4 do their thing and allow the UFC to see how that unfolds before having to give Conor a lower tiered fighter in his division which could risk his momentum or image.

Winning agianst a 155er would look great and Diego has a big following and a great history of wars he's one of the still fighting legends of the UFC he's a name, a celebrity etc etc it would add followers to McGregors Twitter and raise the UFC's profile and Conors profile and the profile of the card and of the UFC in Mexico for a huugely important Mexican debut.

There's an awful lot of UPS to it happening.

The greatest to Conor being that he would earn a filthy fortune and kit's all about striking while the etc

I'd love the hype the fight would not be a given by any stretch and people would respect him for taking on such a warrior as Diego who is a big dude at 155.

Solves problems, pays money, raises hype, boosts card, has risks but has a great payoff if he won well, fought a war and won, any win basically.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is a genius piece of marketing and trolling.... its completely not going to happen imho. But look at the buzz he generated and he'll be sitting back having a giggle as people lose their minds :)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'd say Norman Parke feels a bit spare atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

McGregor is some sort of media Yoda.. a Moda? He wins either way this thing goes and it probably won't go anywhere. The reaction to his few words on Twitter got him thousands more followers and the internet has rained McGregor all morning. He's really having fun with his fame using it to his advantage adding value to his name causing conversation, intrigue and arguments....he's a modern day media Musashi !

“there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I'd say Norman Parke feels a bit spare atm.

i hope its not a wind up as its bad form towards norman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

peteeeed wrote: »
    i hope its not a wind up and its bad form towards norman

I wouldnt say he'll cry about it ffs get a grip this is a professional sport,if anything it gives his fight with sanchez more publicity now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I'd prefer he stay away from LW for now. The quality of wrestling is probably higher and there are a lot of bulky guys up there that would outsize him. Just look at Eddie Alvarez from ufc 178, same height as Conor but he's far, far bulkier than him. And he's regarded as a small lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »

No he isn't. Everyone is harping on about Alvarez weighed 170 on the embedded vlog a few days before the fight (4/5). That would be about what he'd weigh fight night after carb loading post weigh in.

McGregor weighed just under 160 3 days before the Brimage fight (see Kavanagh's vlog). He probably put on a few pounds post ACL surgery in muscle. My bet is Conor weighs 160 - 165 fight night. Tending towards 160. He is lean as **** and has very little fat on him.

People think Alvarez is small cos of the extreme of his last fight. One, Cerrone weighs 174 fight night (as confirmed by a tweeted pic of himself fight morning/day). Two, their heights, obviously Alvarez is a lot shorter than Cerrone. Three, the last point is compounded by how they fight. Their stances are very different - Cerrone in an upright Thai/KB stance, and Alvarez in a more crouched boxing stance.

So no, I don't think Alvarez is a small LW, probably average. Conor would be an average to slightly under sized LW (not that that would change much).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

darced wrote: »

Alavarez is down as 5 9 which is the same as McGregor, not sure how accurate that is. And no He wouldn't weigh that little before LW but the point remains. He's not gonna have much more (if any) muscle at LW than at FW.

McGregor wouldn't be putting on any permanent mass if he moved up, he'll simply have an easier cut for water weight. That's the whole point of it, he gets to cut less water weight which makes it easier for him in the build up. If he moves up he'll look basically the same as he does fighting at FW, maybe slightly bigger. If he moved up and bulked up it would defeat the whole purpose of him complaining about the cut in the first place.

McGregor wouldn't be putting on any permanent mass if he moved up, he'll simply have an easier cut for water weight. That's the whole point of it, he gets to cut less water weight which makes it easier for him in the build up. If he moves up he'll look basically the same as he does fighting at FW, maybe slightly bigger. If he moved up and bulked up it would defeat the whole purpose of him complaining about the cut in the first place.

Look, I think we focus too much on weight tbh anyways. Bit rich coming from me who knows the ins and outs but **** it. He'll be undersized vs the bigger LWs but what of it. Technique will prevail barring a major strength disadvantage.

Strength becomes much more of a problem when it comes to grappling, something we haven't really seen him do yet in the UFC. I'd be worried about what guys like Khabib, Henderson, Melendez etc. could do it they got a hold of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Parke is being very quiet on this. He's usually fairly active on twitter. Sachez responding by saying "Lets make it happen". Something must be up with Parke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Conor just tweeted this:
    Conor McGregor ‏@TheNotoriousMMA 4s5 seconds ago
    Looks like its fajita's with the Fertitta's in Mexico!!! #UFC180 #McGregorVsSanchez
    Expand

Looks like there could be something to his earlier tweet then... Unless he's just trolling some more!

And this just posted on severemma:
    Diego Sanchez is waiting for a new opponent at UFC 180, but whether that foe is Conor McGregor -- or someone else -- remains to be seen.

A source close to the bout informed Sherdog.com on Thursday that Norman Parke has withdrawn from his matchup with Sanchez due to injury. The two lightweights were scheduled to square off at the UFC’s inaugural card in Mexico City on Nov. 15. As of this writing, Sanchez has yet to be offered a new opponent by the UFC. The Las Vegas-based promotion has not made a formal announcement regarding the bout.

Breakout featherweight star Conor McGregor made waves late Wednesday night when he claimed that he was going to face Sanchez in Mexico City.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Source-Norman-Parke-Out-Diego-Sanchez-Awaiting-New-Opponent-at-UFC-180-75019

• Advertisement

Like I've already said, I'd prefer he stay away from LW and not fight Sanchez (or anyone) for a few months, but his enthusiasm is just fantastic. He went straight from recovery to training to fight Brandao (Miller at the time), then straight into another training camp for Poirier and now he's looking for another fight before 2015. God knows how many more fights he'd have or where he'd be had he never done his ACL, maybe it all worked out for the better but who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Parke just confirmed that he's out.

Now I'm starting to believe the McGregor-Sanchez rumours a bit more. Still don't think it'll happen though.

Feel bad for Parke, that was a big fight for him and one he had a good chance of winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

On his facebook McGregor just said its Sanchez again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Looks like he might just force them into it. Some man. I don't know if I fancy the prospect of him knocking lumps out of a much slower opponent for 3 rounds though. Although he would probably put him down before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

I'm sure like most of you I don't feel Its official until Dana or Helwani tweet it.. as someone said earlier on, he has a lot to gain from the sanchez fight but I would feel that his priority would be to heal his hand up fully and await the outcome of Swanson/Edgar and Aldo/Mendes instead of focusing on a grudge match which be doesn't really need right now..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

he cut down to 185 on season 1 TUF and fought MW WW and LW... he couoldn't do a cut to 145 his leanest self is 168 he said before cutting water down to 155
    This is the problem with conversations about the "cut" and "walk around". The same words are used to refer to two different things.
    Personally, I don't think fighters should get credit for ballooning up between fights and shedding fat during camp. If he's been 168 pre-cut, that's his walk around (imo) and roughly what he weighs in the cage (I wouldnt say he's always that lean).
    168 to 145 isn't an impossible cut, but 6 weeks out, he has the time to adjust and make 162-164 and make 145.
    Gumbi wrote: »
    McGregor weighed just under 160 3 days before the Brimage fight (see Kavanagh's vlog). He probably put on a few pounds post ACL surgery in muscle. My bet is Conor weighs 160 - 165 fight night. Tending towards 160. He is lean as **** and has very little fat on him.
    3 days out he's be halfway through the cut though. It's not linear, but if he's got 15lbs 3 days out he's coming from at least 165 imo. Having very little fat means he can cut more water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Invincible wrote: »
    Saw the fights Monday night ans of them all McGregors was the moat harmless, how the ref stopped it so soon was hard to figure, considering the abuse the previous fighters took. Call me sceptical but if someone told me it was a set up to hype him up for upcoming fights, I'd believe them.

It's not a boxing match where lads pummels each other until one falls down.

Gloves in the UFC are far smaller than in boxing. It's possible that you get hit faster and maybe therefore harder, but boxing gloves also distribute the force over a bigger area, so in MMA you are getting greater force applied to a smaller area. I believe the scientific term is "more ouch".

It is also far easier to block in boxing, as you have two big gloves and the opponent has to find the target with another pair of big gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

dana released interesting statement, pretty much saying if aldo retains he is logical no.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Fighting Sanchez would be pointless and stupid.
    I'll be shocked if it happens, but it won't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement