Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former Labour Party chairman Colm Keaveney to join Fianna Fáil

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Last post on this as going around in circles.
    Well this is getting less and less believable all the time when you consistently pursue the 'guaranteed' line of argument and misquoting others.

An earlier post from you:
    Haha ya it's very unfair - poor Colm:rolleyes:

There is a guaranteed FF seat in Galway East. Absolute stonewall seat. Good chance Kitt does not stand again anyway. Keaveny as a sitting TD will be FF's main man.

What a disgrace. Both him and his new party.

How is that misquoting you?
    tell us we are flawed in our thinking because that they won't abandon Kitt, etc, etc. Again that's a completely separate issue.

They are not separate issues. There is 1 safe FF seat in Galway East. Therefore, it is very much related to this issue. If Kitt runs (and he said he will), then the likelihood is that Keaveney will not win a seat.

You can say that Keaveney was told he would be the sole candidate. But that cannot happen (as Sierra Oscar pointed out). I cannot believe that Keaveney would be unaware of this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Last post on this as going around in circles.

An earlier post from you:

How is that misquoting you?

They are not separate issues. There is 1 safe FF seat in Galway East. Therefore, it is very much related to this issue. If Kitt runs (and he said he will), then the likelihood is that Keaveney will not win a seat.

You can say that Keaveney was told he would be the sole candidate.
    But that cannot happen (as Sierra Oscar pointed out). I cannot believe that Keaveney would be unaware of this situation.

1) You are again clearly misquoting me as I had consistently maintained that Keaveney was not guaranteed a seat in Galway East but had given himself the best chance of retaining one.

There is a guaranteed FF seat in Galway East - no arguments there I maintain that. What you are misquoting is the fact we were saying Keaveney was guaranteed one before the info about his deal with Martin came to light

2) If Kitt runs is irrelevant to the fact of Keaveney's motivation in doing so. As for only one candidate running cant happen? It certainly can. If the convention decides that.

Keaveney is quoted less than a week ago as saying that Martin ensures him he is the only candidate that will be running. Now are you dismissing that as happening? Despite Keaveney quoted as saying this?

I know he is showing to be a man that retreats on his words, etc but do you believe a) he didn't say it or b) he didn't mean it??

Kitt's words are completely irrelevant to Keaveney's motivations as they came after he joined and Keaveney has been given assurances he will be the sole contender. That obviously influenced his decision making and one we are now more justified in calling it what it is.

I do not disagree with some of your points regarding Kitt, conventions, likely scenarios etc. I will debate them fine. I am saying your defence of Keaveney's motivations and reasoning don't stand up given the information Keaveney himself revealed as part of the deal.

Who knows what he has been told? Kitt is in the new Roscommon constituency - he won't run there. Maybe Kitt is retiring? Maybe Kitt p***ed them off by taking the Leas Ceann Comhairle job against the party wishes by doing a deal with Kenny and Gilmore and it's payback time. Maybe it's due to the fact that 'grassroots' are not happy with Kitt as referenced in the same article regarding him 'coasting' in the job?

I don't know and you don't know but Keaveney has been assured of that and we will see how it develops. Bottom line this influenced his decision and will go a long way to ensuring he remains politically alive which he sacrificed any principals he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Kitt is in the new Roscommon constituency - he won't run there.

Do we know this for a fact? Seems like it might be the key to a resolution that satisfies all parties, sort of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Do we know this for a fact? Seems like it might be the key to a resolution that satisfies all parties, sort of.

It wouldnt suit Kitt as he would be leaving behind a good chunk of his votes in the Galway East constituency. And then have to gain new votes in the Roscommon constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭zimmermania

It wouldnt suit Kitt as he would be leaving behind a good chunk of his votes in the Galway East constituency. And then have to gain new votes in the Roscommon constituency.
    One thing we should not forget.Kitt will be 66 at the time the next election is held,he will get the large lump sum "walking away" money,a pension boosted by serving as a junior minister and as leas ceann comhairle if he retires and that is what he is going to do.

• Advertisement

True. But if FF go with one candidate only in some 3 seaters like the promise to Keaveney in Galway East then it would become very appealing given that there is no sitting FF TD in the new constituency.

One thing we should not forget.Kitt will be 66 at the time the next election is held,he will get the large lump sum "walking away" money,a pension boosted by serving as a junior minister and as leas ceann comhairle if he retires and that is what he is going to do.

And it's believed that this was the likely scenario within FF too as regards their moves for Keaveney, Higgins, etc. Seems their handling at the top has irked Kitt and some of the 'grassroots' though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

True. But if FF go with one candidate only in some 3 seaters like the promise to Keaveney in Galway East then it would become very appealing given that there is no sitting FF TD in the new constituency.

Well if Kitt wants to 'hand on the torch' to one of his family this might be the right moment. Mightn't make much odds to them whether they establish themselves in Galway East or Roscommon/Galway, given that the family turf is seemingly split between the two...

Who knows, he might bring his celeb nephew down to take over: his musical career isn't exactly thriving, and he'd surely blow the local yokels, esp the cailins, away with his slick hipsterdom:
    10052_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

The Kitts should stand to one side and let Keaveney start tracking down the " rampant corruption of many of Fianna Fáil’s members and public representatives" that he described last year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Stephen Donnelly now on the record saying that he is considering a move to Fianna Fáil.

Donnelly says he's considering move to Fianna Fail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭golfball37

Stephen Donnelly now on the record saying that he is considering a move to Fianna Fáil.

I don't see anything in that article that one could stand over to justify the headline. A bit like the Toibin scoop the same paper had the other day methinks- IE a non story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

golfball37 wrote: »
    I don't see anything in that article that one could stand over to justify the headline. A bit like the Toibin scoop the same paper had the other day methinks- IE a non story.

Significant in that he has actually confirmed for the first time that he is open to the idea of joining Fianna Fáil.

No meetings have been held yet, but this is all about signalling. You can be sure that a meeting will be held over Christmas to explore the possibility after his comments. Nothing may come of it, but interesting nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

That would be an absolute disaster. He is one of the few politicians I respected and seemed to have some morals about him.

That he would even think of joining FF is really, really disappointing.

Now wouldn't that be depressing...........

Significant in that he has actually confirmed for the first time that he is open to the idea of joining Fianna Fáil.

No meetings have been held yet, but this is all about signalling. You can be sure that a meeting will be held over Christmas to explore the possibility after his comments. Nothing may come of it, but interesting nonetheless.

Looks like another made up story . Surely your FF propaganda office could have rang the Independent newspaper FF propaganda office to see if it was true or made up.

The journal says that it is not happening

http://www.thejournal.ie/stephen-donnelly-fianna-fail-independent-td-eamon-gilmore-1219708-Dec2013/

raymon wrote: »
    Looks like another made up story . Surely your FF propaganda office could have rang the Independent newspaper FF propaganda office to see if it was true or made up.

The journal says that it is not happening

http://www.thejournal.ie/stephen-donnelly-fianna-fail-independent-td-eamon-gilmore-1219708-Dec2013/

All very cloak and daggers! We already know that no discussions have taken place, wont be any real news until after any discussions take place regardless. That's if they even take place.

All very cloak and daggers! We already know that no discussions have taken place, wont be any real news until after any discussions take place regardless. That's if they even take place.

Surely you mean " smoke and daggers", this being Bertie's Team

Surely you mean " smoke and daggers", this being Bertie's Team

Do you always need to be so combative? You make it a pain to read this forum with your poorly formulated cliches.

We should all be capable of intelligent discussion without stupid comments.

Do you always need to be so combative? You make it a pain to read this forum with your poorly formulated cliches.

Sorry didn't mean to touch a nerve with mentioning Bertie.

You said cloak and daggers , Bertie used to say smoke and daggers.
    Probably wasn't funny after all , ah well.

You said cloak and daggers , Bertie used to say smoke and daggers.
    Probably wasn't funny after all , ah well.

Ah I see, I didn't pick up the connection. ;)

Still don't see how it is very relevant though!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

It's a joke.
    Surely you can recall Bertie's "upsetting the apple tart"?

It's a joke.
    Surely you can recall Bertie's "upsetting the apple tart"?

I am not familiar with Bertie Ahern and his various silly comments really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

I am not familiar with Bertie Ahern and his various silly comments really.

You should be. It might make you reconsider your political allegiances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

You should be. It might make you reconsider your political allegiances.

Its called fianna fail amnesia.

Advertisement