Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former Labour Party chairman Colm Keaveney to join Fianna Fáil

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Larbre34 wrote: »
    How about audentis fortuna me b0llix.

In a country with a rich history of them, I have never seen a less credible political decison in my entire life.

Keaveney is a patronising waffler, an unprincipled spoofer. Expect him to be unseated by a shinner at the first opportunity.

I believe there's a Groupon deal for first class lounge seats on Charon's ferry if he's interested.

Let's face it, he can sit on the FF bench and he will not have go make any hard decisions, and not even be noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Fair play to George, he gave Keavney some bollocking just there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I haven't seen such neck since Bertie at the Mahon tribunal. He'll fit right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

ScumLord wrote: »

George Hook just tore into him on Newstalk. Very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

ScumLord wrote: »

They were both equally idiotic.

I dont know what Keaveney is thinking. I dont see the logic of it. I also read an interview with him not long after he resigned as Labour chair person where he strongly suggested he didnt want to run in the next GE but would prefer to work in Europe.

There will be one FF & one FG returned in the next GE in Galway East. Probably Kitt & Connaughton. So we are left with Keaveney (FF), Higgins (Lab) & Cannon FG to fight over the last place. It would be big big ask for Keaveney to poll ahead of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,005 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm not too sure really, I suspect that most members will be welcoming.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out for Colm. People were singing his praises when he left the Labour party!

FFers won't be singing his praises for long. Colm only cares Colm. He has no principles and would join FG or SF tomorrow if it offered him a safe seat.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

FFers won't be singing his praises for long. Colm only cares Colm. He has no principles and would join FG or SF tomorrow if it offered him a safe seat.

But the thing is, joining FF doesnt offer him a safe seat in Galway East. Far from it!

I am no Keaveney fan. But he probably had more chance of retaining his seat in Galway East by just keeping his mouth shut about the budget and staying with Labour.....

But the thing is, joining FF doesnt offer him a safe seat in Galway East. Far from it!

I am no Keaveney fan. But he probably had more chance of retaining his seat in Galway East by just keeping his mouth shut about the budget and staying with Labour.....

He's a political opportunist who speaks out of both sides of his mouth.

Colm stood for Labour Chair with the sole reason of saving his seat by trying to ensure he had no running mate.

Colm really is the worst kind of political opportunist and I feel sorry for many naive ffers that can't see that.

This is actually in a way quite tragic for Irish politics. Many many decent Irish politicians have 100 times the principles of Colm and many Irish people genuinely believed in him.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Colm stood for Labour Chair with the sole reason of saving his seat by trying to ensure he had no running mate.

Colm really is the worst kind of political opportunist and I feel sorry for many naive ffers that can't see that.

This is actually in a way quite tragic for Irish politics. Many many decent Irish politicians have 100 times the principles of Colm and many Irish people genuinely believed in him.

FIANNA FAIL ARE NOT NIAVE, THEY LOVE THIS $hit

we are the naive ones who allow it by doing nothing which in turn gives these guys no boundaries as to how low they'll drag politics and democracy in general

we are all to blame for this, if Colm thought there would be very real consequences for sticking the 2 fingers up to his electorate and i don't mean just getting voted out, that itself is letting him away scot free also, he wouldn't even entertain the thought in the first place and would instead do only what is good for the people who elected him. end of

the world politicians are like bullies and bullies will always walk all over pussys

we are the pussys :(

But in what way is this move opportunistic? I dont see him getting any opportunities from joining FF.

Despite what people are saying, it does NOT guarantee him a seat at the next election (a long way from it).

He left Labour.
    He has always said he didnt believe in independents. In the run up to the last election, there was a very strong local independent candidate who was vying with Keaveney for a seat. Keaveney was very very emphatic about his opinions on how independents dont work.
    Fine Gael arent really an option considering they are in coalition with Labour.

That leaves Fianna Fail or Sinn Fein.

So I dont see how this is opportunistic at all??? Joining Fianna Fail at the moment is hardly going to endear him to a lot of people!

I am not a fan of Keaveney, never have been. But some of the criticism he is getting on here seems unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

According to Twitter, Keaveney is on Vincent Browne tonight! :eek:

yay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Keaveney is nothing more than a low life rat. I sincerely hope that the good and sensible people of Galway East see this opportunistic, self-serving, unprincipled, morally corrupt, disreputable individual for exactly what he is and hurt him the only way he cares about at the ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

He'll get the same amount of votes he got from me last time

none

I saw somewhere that he felt FF match his own principals, good to know hes an populist, self serving coward so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

But in what way is this move opportunistic? I dont see him getting any opportunities from joining FF.

Despite what people are saying, it does NOT guarantee him a seat at the next election (a long way from it).

He left Labour.
    He has always said he didnt believe in independents. In the run up to the last election, there was a very strong local independent candidate who was vying with Keaveney for a seat. Keaveney was very very emphatic about his opinions on how independents dont work.
    Fine Gael arent really an option considering they are in coalition with Labour.

That leaves Fianna Fail or Sinn Fein.

So I dont see how this is opportunistic at all??? Joining Fianna Fail at the moment is hardly going to endear him to a lot of people!

I am not a fan of Keaveney, never have been. But some of the criticism he is getting on here seems unfair.

Haha ya it's very unfair - poor Colm:rolleyes:

There is a guaranteed FF seat in Galway East. Absolute stonewall seat. Good chance Kitt does not stand again anyway. Keaveny as a sitting TD will be FF's main man.

What a disgrace. Both him and his new party.

Haha ya it's very unfair - poor Colm:rolleyes:

There is a guaranteed FF seat in Galway East. Absolute stonewall seat. Good chance Kitt does not stand again anyway. Keaveny as a sitting TD will be FF's main man.

What a disgrace. Both him and his new party.

But there isn't a guaranteed seat. That is the point!

There will be one FF seat in Galway East. But it is a long way from guaranteed that Keaveney will get that seat.....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,648 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Dave! wrote: »

yay

I hope he wears dark pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I hope he wears dark pants.

Keavney can handle himself, it is Gimmmore that will have to bring the spare pair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Keaveney is all that is wrong with Irish politicians.

No principles, honour or backbone. Hes the perfect fit for that party of crooks he has joined!

Keaveney is all that is wrong with Irish politicians.

No principles, honour or backbone. Hes the perfect fit for that party of crooks he has joined!

What backbone did the OF/SF/IRA, OF/SF/WP,OF/SF/DL, OF/SF/LP, have.
    Double standards thrive in this little kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

There is a guaranteed FF seat in Galway East. Absolute stonewall seat.

Says it all about the electorate in East Galway.:o
    And says it all about Colm too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

But there isn't a guaranteed seat. That is the point!

There will be one FF seat in Galway East. But it is a long way from guaranteed that Keaveney will get that seat.....

No but it gives him the absolute best chance of retaining a seat which is exactly what the majority have pointed out here. Guaranteed FF seat so now all he has to so is make himself the main FF man. A far far easier task now than in position in Labour or as an Independent.

One of the most hypocritical, conniving, opportunistic, blatant and careerist acts I have ever seen.

No but it gives him the absolute best chance of retaining a seat which is exactly what the majority have pointed out here. Guaranteed FF seat so now all he has to so is make himself the main FF man. A far far easier task now than in position in Labour or as an Independent.

One of the most hypocritical, conniving, opportunistic, blatant and careerist acts I have ever seen.

That's politics, there's George Lee who thought he could make a change, there is nice Peter who thought he could make a change, how many have left the government ranks over the government's incompetence. That is Irish Politics. It is not bad at the moment however, how many councillors will jump ship before the next council election. Begin counting now, now that the lead has been given.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Dave! wrote: »

yay

This should be fun. Cooper gave him a good kicking, his mood was noticeably worse when Hook decided to come out swinging at him, lordy only knows what VinB's gonna hit him with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭grainnewhale

there really needs to be riots across the country when fianna fail get back into power, "democratically" elected or not!!

Riots about what? If they are elected. what would rioting achieve?

there really needs to be riots across the country when fianna fail get back into power, "democratically" elected or not!!

Are you suggesting to do away with democracy, and let the mob rule. We had that back at the formation of the state where Eoin O Duffy organised a lot of people like the KKK, they were called the Blueshirts in this country.

If I am wrong in my opinion I will stand to be corrected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Seems like a nice young man, but might be distracted by any mirrors in his vicinity.

Charlie was a bit like that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

He wasn't on Vincent Browne tonight. The only FFer was that dreadful Thomas Byrne chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Riots about what? If they are elected. what would rioting achieve?

A few euro in court coffers when their mammy rolls up in the 4x4 and bails them out..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Harry McGee suggests Kitt, if he stands again, may move to the new Roscommon–Galway constituency because a lot of his bailiwick is there. So this is starting to look like a political masterstroke on CK's part...

• Advertisement

Seems like a nice young man, but might be distracted by any mirrors in his vicinity.

Charlie was a bit like that too.

Ah here don't give Colm more of an ego comparing him to Charlie.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement