Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former Labour Party chairman Colm Keaveney to join Fianna Fáil

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭grainnewhale

What backbone did the OF/SF/IRA, OF/SF/WP,OF/SF/DL, OF/SF/LP, have.
    Double standards thrive in this little kip.

What backbone did F.G have when there cowardly founder, agreed to leave a quarter of the country to suffer in a sectarian hell hole. To be fair to F.G they have maintained their gutless approach to the six counties ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Seemingly the arrival of the new face of FF has angered some of the FFers

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/martin-faces-backlash-as-furious-tds-vent-anger-29807268.html

Kitt and Gilligan should stand aside immediately and let this real Fianna Failer get to work in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

raymon wrote: »
    Seemingly the arrival of the new face of FF has angered some of the FFers

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/martin-faces-backlash-as-furious-tds-vent-anger-29807268.html

Kitt and Gilligan should stand aside immediately and let this real Fianna Failer get to work in Galway

Hopefully the only good to come out of this is that it'll create more problems for FF than it will solve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Ah here don't give Colm more of an ego comparing him to Charlie.

The ego has landed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭golfball37

I think the bigger picture here is that the chairman of the Labaour party feels he is better fitted to a party he rallied against for years than the one he chose to represent.

I just wish the media would ask serious questions of Gilmore and what he has done to the Irish Labour party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

What an own goal for FF, have they any idea of what they have done? This will come back to haunt Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Harry McGee suggests Kitt, if he stands again, may move to the new Roscommon–Galway constituency because a lot of his bailiwick is there. So this is starting to look like a political masterstroke on CK's part...

Yep absolutely opportunistic and will most likely take that seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

And people wonder why I don't vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Independent says Keaveney will run in the new Roscommon-Galway constituency

This constituency consists of all Co Roscommon and only 35 EDs from the old Galway East. Roscommon independents Denis Naughten and Ming Flanagan will hold their seats. The third will almost definitely go to a candidate from north Roscommon, probably Frank Feighan of Fine Gael, as the hospital closure is not a big issue in that area.

No way is he running in Galway East- Roscommon. Martin Daly is from around Ballygar and he is the one earmarked for that. Keaveney has no base or connections in Roscommon and if he did put his name forward at a FF meeting Rachel Doherty would oppose it and probably win.

No idea where the Indo got that info but it won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

MouseTail wrote: »
    What an own goal for FF, have they any idea of what they have done? This will come back to haunt Martin.

They deserve everything and anything they get. Bunch of populist scum that they are.
    Keaveney should fit right in with those shower of traitors. Vile everyone of them. Sold that the country down the river throught their utter incompetence and atrocious government.
    It's no surprise the country is slowing recovering with them out of office. We were a laughing stock out in the real world with the likes of Cowen, Lenihan, Coughlan etc. "representing" us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Kind of odd to stand by your principles and lose the whip,
    then sh1t all over them by joining FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Kind of odd to stand by your principles and lose the whip,
    then sh1t all over them by joining FF.

It's clearly some attempt at saving his seat and his fat opposition salary in the process. He's obviously weighed up his options as an Independent and clearly sees his bacon being saved (or at least a much better chance of that happening) by joining his fellow FF traitors. That's all this is about at the end of the day. His salary and perks. Wonder is the wife still employed as an "Assistant"? He should get along very well with John McGuinness, cut from the same (rotten) cloth they are...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yep absolutely opportunistic and will most likely take that seat.
    And to pile on the speculation, if Kitt intends to hand on the torch to one of his kids next time, it may suit them (and FF HQ) to establish themselves in Roscommon Galway from the outset, and leave GE free to Keaveney. Who said stroke politics is dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

road_high wrote: »
    It's clearly some attempt at saving his seat and his fat opposition salary in the process. He's obviously weighed up his options as an Independent and clearly sees his bacon being saved (or at least a much better chance of that happening) by joining his fellow FF traitors.

Exactly. Get elected first and decide what his policies and principles are afterwards. I really hope this backfires on him and FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

eigrod wrote: »
    Exactly. Get elected first and decide what his policies and principles are afterwards. I really hope this backfires on him and FF.
    This man is utterly devoid of policies or principles, he serves neither Party or people, rather his own ego and careerist self serving agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Unbelievable news. What a muppet. Tuam will turn their back on him now.
    It makes Irish politics look very bad.

Unbelievable news. What a muppet. Tuam will turn their back on him now.
    It makes Irish politics look very bad.

When did it look good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭zimmermania

What backbone did F.G have when there cowardly founder, agreed to leave a quarter of the country to suffer in a sectarian hell hole. To be fair to F.G they have maintained their gutless approach to the six counties ever since.
    I presume you support one of the cowardly,murdering groups that still lay claim to the british part of this island?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I presume you support one of the cowardly,murdering groups that still lay claim to the british part of this island?

You can't vote for the dup or uup in Ireland!

They were both equally idiotic.

I dont know what Keaveney is thinking. I dont see the logic of it. I also read an interview with him not long after he resigned as Labour chair person where he strongly suggested he didnt want to run in the next GE but would prefer to work in Europe.

There will be one FF & one FG returned in the next GE in Galway East. Probably Kitt & Connaughton. So we are left with Keaveney (FF), Higgins (Lab) & Cannon FG to fight over the last place. It would be big big ask for Keaveney to poll ahead of those.
    I do hope you are not studying politics!Higgins could not win a seat in yhe local elections,she wants to run for europe and she does not have a hope and it will be the same story in the general.The golf playing barrister joined lab when the party was the darling of the upper middle classes.Now that affair is over she will be in for a rude awakening.She has the support of some influencial Dublin big wigs in the party and that is the only reason she was put in the senate by Gilmore.The lady has yet to win an election and that is not about to change anytime soon.

• Advertisement

You can't vote for the dup or uup in Ireland!
    I never said you could,but if you lived in Northern Ireland you could, as many do.

I never said you could,but if you lived in Northern Ireland you could, as many do.

Why do they vote for murderers?

And what has this got to do with the spineless keaveney weaseling his way into fianna fail?

No I would only support those brave men and women. Fighting one of the biggest, richest killing machines in the world. I would vote for those who would rather fight and give up their lives, than to live under british oppression, knowing that successive irish goverments under f.f f.g and labour never lifted a finger to help them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Is this the Colm Keaveney thread?

:D Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Many people, myself included have pinned their hopes that the likes of Matthews and Donnelly (and indeed Keaveney before his defection) delivering real reform in this corrupt little nation.
    If guys like this are lost to the cancer in Irish politics, that is Fianna Fail, we can rest assured that there is little or no hope for this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

There may be some other big name TD's joining the ranks of FF in the not so distant future.

Is that official yet? How are the negotiations going with your party so far?

They must be breaking out the vats of cash collected over the years in bribes and corrupt payments to try and get these guys to join the party.

What a corrupt, Backward and venomous political system we have in Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

raymon wrote: »
    Is that official yet? How are the negotiations going with your party so far?

I have no idea, possibly just a journalist reading between the lines. I would be surprised if Donnelly or Matthews joined FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

If Michael Healy-Rae or indeed Gerry Adams showed an interest in joining the party now they would be welcomed with open arms, such is the desperation in Fianna Fail to increase their seat count.

Advertisement