Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare Christmas payments?

Options
  • 02-12-2013 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all,

The last few years at Christmas I've gotten my double social welfare payment on the Thursday before Christmas (and then don't get a payment on Christmas week) but someone told me that's not happening this year, is that the case?

Also, this is my first year on Rent Allowance which isn't Social Welfare it's a HSE payment, do they do the double week thing?

Just wondering because I need to go Christmas present shopping but my rent is due on the 19th. I could actually afford to buy my daughter something decent this year if I knew there was money coming in for my rent

Thanks,
    MamaBee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Whether you get a double payment at Xmas depends on what type of social welfare you are claiming. The double payment for the dole was abolished five years ago.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/christmas_bonus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MamaBee92

seamus wrote: »
    Whether you get a double payment at Xmas depends on what type of social welfare you are claiming. The double payment for the dole was abolished five years ago.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/christmas_bonus.html

Hi Seamus,

Im on lone parents. Its different than the christmas bonus. The christmas bonus was a double week but u still go the welfare payment the following week too. What im talking about is a double payment and then ot skips a week. Its not like a bonus and its not ajything more than I'd normally get, its more like an advance on my wages or something. I definitely got it every year the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 michjo

Ya was wondering about that myself.. 11th of Dec last year they gave out two payments one for that week and the following week the 18th.. And then the following week the 18th there was a payment for xmes week.. And back to normal new years week the 31st Dec.. Was Wondering are they at the same thing this year.. im on j.s.a and get paid on a tuesday..?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

cee_jay wrote: »

Very helpful thanks! I presume thats the same scenario this year?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭Antifa161

I can't make sense of it tbh.

In the week 9th-15th you get 2 week's payment, but you're still supposed to go in the following week (16th-22nd) to collect your payment... which is for 23rd-29th?

And how is that page not updated yet? Why is it that to get any information you have to go in and queue up for hours? They can be really ratty with you for asking as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Antifa161 wrote: »
    I can't make sense of it tbh.

In the week 9th-15th you get 2 week's payment, but you're still supposed to go in the following week (16th-22nd) to collect your payment... which is for 23rd-29th?

Yep that's basically it. The link above is last years arrangements but this years will be same

So basically it's just Christmas week that you don't collect a payment, because you collect it 2 weeks prior?

Seems needlessly confusing. Why not just pay the double-week in the week prior to xmas.

So basically it's just Christmas week that you don't collect a payment, because you collect it 2 weeks prior?

Seems needlessly confusing. Why not just pay the double-week in the week prior to xmas.

So people can go christmas shopping and get food for christmas dinner id say. The week before would be too late. It's welfares way of tricking us in to thinking theyre sound

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

MamaBee92 wrote: »
    So people can go christmas shopping and get food for christmas dinner id say. The week before would be too late. It's welfares way of tricking us in to thinking theyre sound

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055070569
    Item 5 and 5a may be of interest

• Advertisement

mp22 wrote: »
    Should update it to say no joking either. If anything her post was explaining the policy, I found it helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

The double payments are week commencing 16th. No payments the following week. Mostly back to normal the following week. Monday is on Monday, Tuesday will be Monday and Wednesday will be Tuesday, fully back to normal from Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 michjo

Social welfare payments for Christmas 2013 has been posted on the www.welfare.ie site.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 daychris76

michjo wrote: »
    Social welfare payments for Christmas 2013 has been posted on the www.welfare.ie site.

Hi Michjo,

I looked on the site there and couldn't see the arrangements. Could you possibly post the link to the article itself if you get a chance?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭DenMan

daychris76 wrote: »
    Hi Michjo,

I looked on the site there and couldn't see the arrangements. Could you possibly post the link to the article itself if you get a chance?

Thanks!

Click on the first black bullet point and it will bring up the option to click on it.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Christmas-Arrangements.aspx

Looking at the New Years arrangements, I understand that payments to be collected on the 31st will be available on the 30th, and payments on the 1st available on the 31st. If I am due a payment on the 31st could I still collect it on the 31st - the same way the post office would hold a payment for 3 days in a regular week (obviously closed on the bank hol).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Hi, wondering if the arrangements are the same for BTEA? I usually get it in the bank on a Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Looking at the New Years arrangements, I understand that payments to be collected on the 31st will be available on the 30th, and payments on the 1st available on the 31st. If I am due a payment on the 31st could I still collect it on the 31st - the same way the post office would hold a payment for 3 days in a regular week (obviously closed on the bank hol).

I can't see why not if your post office is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi can someone tell me is it Thursday the 13th we get the double week for lone parents thanks

It's week beginning 16th so opf get it on Thursday 19th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 amymary

so basically we get the Christmas double week this week and one then next and following week we get none that sounds about right ok tanks all .

merry christmas:)

amymary wrote: »
    so basically we get the Christmas double week this week and one then next and following week we get none that sounds about right ok tanks all .

merry christmas:)

No
    Single week this week. Double week next week. None Christmas week.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ok im confused! This thursday is a single week then the following thursday is a double week the next time loan parents get paid is on stephens day! So how does that work?? Do we get paid before hand

No the double week next week is for st Stephens day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Hi

My husband just collected his jobseekers payment and it was only one week, really disappointed because we had done some shopping for the kids last week on the basis he would get a double week this week. On the cornflakes for the week so......:(

Can anyone tell me why they say on their website that there will be a double payment on w/c 9/12/13 to cover next week and then paid again next week for Christmas week when obviously this is not happening.

Quote from Social Welfare site on Christmas arrangements:

Weekly Payments

All customers paid weekly (excluding Carer Benefit Customers) will receive their normal payment(s) and an advance payment during the week beginning Monday 10 December, 2012. The advance payment will be the payment(s) due in the week beginning Monday 17 December 2012.

Payments due for collection week commencing the 24 December 2012 may be collected on your normal collection day during the week beginning the 17 December 2012.

Payments due for Tuesday 1 January 2013 may be collected from Monday 31 December 2012.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Hi

My husband just collected his jobseekers payment and it was only one week, really disappointed because we had done some shopping for the kids last week on the basis he would get a double week this week. On the cornflakes for the week so......:(

Can anyone tell me why they say on their website that there will be a double payment on w/c 9/12/13 to cover next week and then paid again next week for Christmas week when obviously this is not happening.

The double week is next week. I fail to see how people are having such a hard time understanding this.

The double week is next week. I fail to see how people are having such a hard time understanding this.

Maybe this is why, direct quote from Social Welfare site on Christmas Arrangements, maybe you should have checked it out before you were so quick to condemn.

Weekly Payments

All customers paid weekly (excluding Carer Benefit Customers) will receive their normal payment(s) and an advance payment during the week beginning Monday 10 December, 2012. The advance payment will be the payment(s) due in the week beginning Monday 17 December 2012.

Payments due for collection week commencing the 24 December 2012 may be collected on your normal collection day during the week beginning the 17 December 2012.

Payments due for Tuesday 1 January 2013 may be collected from Monday 31 December 2012.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Hi

Quote from Social Welfare site on Christmas arrangements:

Weekly Payments

well it's not 2012 for one thing

Oh dear Cee_jay, you have us all in a fine pickle now, the site you quoted here was last years arrangements not this years, so I should have checked the years, but didn't. Mea culpa. :(:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭CiaraBohs

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Christmas-Arrangements.aspx

single week this week, double week next week, none christmas week. pretty straight forward

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement