Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of the year 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Ordered TLOU recently and plan to play it over Xmas. After reading this, I now can't wait. Of the games I have played, I'd go for GTAV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The last of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

A toss up between Assassins creed 4 and GTA 5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Toss up between super mario 3d world and shin megami tensei IV for me. One is pure video gaming joy, the other is the most refined game in the best RPG series out there and I can't wait to see those refinements applied to persona 5.

Last of us was good and all but I felt the gameplay was a bit too clunky at times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's actually been a fantastic year for gaming. Top 3 for me have probably been...

1. The Last of Us
    2. Bioshock Infinite
    3. Grand Theft Auto 5

With Assassins Creed 4 coming in a close 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I really don't ever buy into the hype surrounding games, but with TLOU I was absolutely blown away.

It seriously needs to be made into a TV series, a la the walking dead. Beautiful, utterly captivating game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I really don't ever buy into the hype surrounding games, but with TLOU I was absolutely blown away.

It seriously needs to be made into a TV series, a la the walking dead. Beautiful, utterly captivating game.

Please god no! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Please god no! :P

Well... a la season 1 of the walking dead to be more precise.

Well... a la season 1 of the walking dead to be more precise.

More like it. But even darker would be nice. I want no compromises!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The Last of Us
    The opening sequence was unfu***ng believable and the game only really took off about 1/2 way through. It just kept on getting better and better. When the end credits rolled I was in a daze!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I have to give it to Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag. As much as i enjoyed TLOU, and as good a game as it was, it just didn't make me feel as good as i was when playing ACIV. Best character in the series, truly believable as a pirate, and the fact that
    you're not even an assassin until near the end
    really showed how good the game was. They say ACII saved the series. ACIV just blew it out of the water (pun intended).

And it's going to be a shame that it'll get overlooked in favour of a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Happy to see Rayman Legends get so much love, both it and Origins seemed to kind of bomb sales wise.

Can't decide myself.

The Last of Us would be up there.

And it's going to be a shame that it'll get overlooked in favour of a movie.

I havent played ACIV yet so I can't comment on whether or not it or TLoU is a better game. But TLoU is far from a Movie. I doubt you've played it if you're referring to it as such. Plenty of games are far more "on rails" than TLoU and plenty more games have twice/three times as many cutscenes than it and they aren't derided for being movies.

EDIT: Just realised you said you did play it :pac: still!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Anyone who calls it a movie hasn't played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Played quite a bit of The Last of Us and enjoyed it quite a bit, if a little awkward in places.

Game of the year for me is Super Mario 3D World. Having hugely doubted the title when I saw it first shown in a direct, I'm extremely happy to have been very wrong about it. It's a glorious game that I've been picking up again and again to keep playing. I'm almost afraid of finishing it too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Definitely the new Tomb Raider. Was never a real fan of the series in the past but I couldn't put down this game until I had it finished. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

TLOU was brilliant but GTA V is my GOTY. had a great laugh in san andreas this year and the best laugh in multiplayer in years.

I truly cant wait to see what naughty dog do with the ps4 but hope they sort out partner ai as the one fault I found with tlou was ellie being completely invisible to enemies as it would have been to hard to code or taken too long, can't remember ND's official reason for it.

Won't play AC 4 til Christmas so will have to wait to judge that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I haven't been playing that many games this year due to college and work so my choice may not carry much weight, but I'd go hands down for The Last of Us. Don't think a game has resonated with me that deeply in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Machinima have handed out the following awards:

Best Art - Bioshock infinite
    Most immersive - GTA V
    Best Sound - The Last Of Us
    Best Voice Acting - The Last Of Us (Troy Baker)
    Best Story - Bioshock Infinite
    Best Co-Op - Battleblock Theatre
    Best Competitive Multiplayer - BF4
    Best Additional Content - Starcraft: Heart Of The Storm
    Best Indie Game - Bit Trip Runner 2
    Gamer's Choice - BF4

Game Of The Year - GTA V

That's a lot of love for Bioshock Infinite, and not enough for TLOU.

TLOU Single player & it's underappreciated mutiplayer is excellent

• Advertisement

I dont mind that TLoU didnt get GoTY. I'm annoyed GTA did. Overrated and overhyped game. Story as with most GTA's since Vice City, is disjointed and awkward, fairly underwhelming. The open world is good, granted but little replayability. Online was a monumentous cock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,268 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I've only played three 2013 games

Bioshock Infinite

Ni No Kuni

The Last of Us

I'd probably go for Bioshock Infinite.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

I haven't played a huge amount of 2013 releases but two stand out (Terraria on console as well but I'm not going to count that as a 2013).

The Last of Us and Puppeteer

I would be inclined to give my preference to Puppeteer. It looked beautiful, had real charm and a relatively simple and enjoyable experience. Not the best game I've ever played by any stretch of the imagination but definitely the game I enjoyed the most out of this year's crop.

While I loved the story and visuals in TLOU and found I got more emotionally invested in the characters than I have in any game I found the gameplay itself to be a little dull. Definitely a must play but I'm not sure I can see myself returning to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

My main complaint with the Machima list is having GTA as the most immersive.

Certainly created a great living world.. but immersive.. I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Are the annual Boards Games awards taking place this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ok, maybe calling TLoU a movie was a bit much, but I'm remembering it as a movie. Yes, it had a bit more to it than Uncharted or Heavy Rain, but i don't remember the gameplay as much as the story. I'm also slightly biased against it for losing a fair few hours of gameplay thanks to that bug.

I'm sticking with ACIV.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm a bit out of sync with current games so my game of the year is Far Cry 3. Just got it last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm a bit out of sync with current games so my game of the year is Far Cry 3. Just got it last week.

ha :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I dont mind that TLoU didnt get GoTY. I'm annoyed GTA did. Overrated and overhyped game. Story as with most GTA's since Vice City, is disjointed and awkward, fairly underwhelming. The open world is good, granted but little replayability. Online was a monumentous cock up.

I found V to be a major improvement over the usual GTA offerings of bland characters, repetitive missions and a dull, predictable plot. I wouldn't have it as my GOTY but its the first GTA since Vice City that I wouldn't feel aggrieved about it picking up awards.
    If I had to pick one I'd choose Bioshock Infinite as the stand out game for being overhyped and overrated this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Are the annual Boards Games awards taking place this year?

Yes but the year isn't over yet so be patient ;)

Advertisement