Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of the year 2013

Options
  • 01-12-2013 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭

I think its about time we decide on overall Game of the Year 2013. Everyone can nominate any single game from any platform and say why. There probably will be spoilers below so beware!

My undisputed game of the year has to be:
    The Last of Us
    Playstation 3
    for various reasons. The game was visually stunning. The voice acting and mo-cap was second to none imo. The voice acting especially. Troy Baker and a surprise performance from Nolan North.

The story was one of the best written IMO and it was quite definitely the game wherein I became most emotionally involved. As regards to the ending
    I think it fit the mood of the game perfectly and it rounded off the evolution of the character of Joel excellently

Anyways, Tl;dr buy the game, play the game, love the game.
    Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Last of Us for me too, I'm not gonna repeat everything ^^^^ poster above said because i couldn't put it better

GTA 5 would have been up there if the online wasn't such a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

The Last of Us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

A link between worlds. Nothing else is close

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would have to give it to The Last of Us myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The Last Of Us.

It's amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Rayman Legends for me, it looks brilliant, it's also pretty humorous and is challenging and it has very clever level design.
    Haven't played The Last of Us, have been tempted to get it due to nearly every reviewer giving it 10/10, I'll probably pick it up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

The Last of Us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Maybe I should have renamed the thread TLOU appreciationg thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Would also say TLOU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The voice acting in TLOU blew me away, such high quality.

As for GOTY, I dunno! I would have had it pinned on for it but Assassins creed black flag has seriously impressed me, it's scope and longevity is amazing, and the attention to detail.

But I'd probably give it to TLOU for its originality tbh, in setting and story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Fire Emblem Awakening

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

COD Ghosts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I must actually mention that I've yet to play AC3 and Bioshock which I believe some are touting as GOTY contenders too. Must get playing Bioshock soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

The Last of Us.

Excellent gameplay, graphics and voice acting. The story and characters were exceptional. In fact it's my favourite game of that generation of consoles and the only game that matches Metal Gear Solid 3 emotively. My favourite bit, which sums up why it's my pick, is
    when Ellie sees the giraffes at the university. That was a moment which showcased how there was a beauty and an innocence which still existed in the world. But that moment scared me; I was afraid to leave the rooftop and go on due to an overwhelming fear of losing Ellie. This was a fictional character and yet I'm frozen, having to psyche myself up for a good 5 minutes to open the door and go into the unknown. Any game that can have that affect on me in a moment of beauty is simply amazing

I also really enjoyed Bioshock Infinite. A lot of fun to play, a great look to it, good voice acting, great characters and in my opinion a great ending. Elizabeth was a great character and unlike most AI companions didn't p*ss me off once; in fact missions without her were less enjoyable because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

GTA5. Most fun I've had playing a game in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

Gotta be black flag wasnt expecting much so i rented it but went out to buy it after so much to do and even just goofing around attacking ships is great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Has to be The Last of Us for me, not even a film this year has come close to affecting me as much. Brilliant story, writing and performances throughout, and a brilliantly mature story for a video game. Amazing animation and the score was fantastic too.

Some other great games out this year too though have to mention Bioshock Infinite, loved that too and more recently Tearaway was an absolute joy and probably the most charming game I'll ever play, which is tough when I play Rayman Legends this year too and that had a fairly firm grip on the charming crown.

Anyway, that said, The Last of Us is my pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Most definitely TLOU!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Settled then. Award for best movie posing as a game goes to...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Rayman Legends.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,169 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It has actually been a really good year, with lots of really interesting games released. The 3DS alone offered a whole host of 'GOTY' candidates.

But in all honesty I'm kinda leaning towards Papers, Please. In a year of some really exciting developments for storytelling in gaming - from Gone Home to TLOU - Papers, Please was the most harmonious combination of theme, narrative, world building and - vitally - gameplay mechanics I had the pleasure of playing. It was so subtle in some respects, so effortlessly clear and concise in others. It was a completely new style of game that does not fit neatly into any existing genre, but it arrived fully-formed. In a great year, Papers, Please was the one game for me that marked a significant step forward for gaming as an artistic medium, and it's the kind of game that makes me really excited for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

We normally have a "game awards" thread starting in December every year. All of vote and poll across platforms and on gametypes.
    MR.E normally starts it,....maybe he can enlighten us when it will be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

MadYaker wrote: »
    COD Ghosts

Go home MadYaker, you're drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

TLOU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The Last of Us. Might be Mario 3D world if I had a Wii-u

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

The Last Of Us

Can't hear this bit of music in any trailers, ads or top tens without getting emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

BioShock Infinite.... (IMO)

TLOU was a depressing, but fantastic experience....

Something I personally can't hack about dreary post apocalyptic settings in games.... and I'm very sick of zombies at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

quarryman wrote: »
    Go home MadYaker, you're drunk.

I was taking the piss. I don't think I've played any of the potential candidates apart from BF4 so that gets my vote.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Rayman Legends for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Havent played TLOU but the only single player game ive actually completed in a few years was Bioshock Infinite , to me that says a lot as i rarely stick with a single player game.
    Regarding multiplayer it has to be BF4 for me.

Advertisement