Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭picture987

If you're doing interval, or hard sessions your legs will tighten up very quickly. I try and do a recovery run the morning after a speed session, basically just leave the watch behind and go out at a pathetic pace for about 5 miles just to move the lactic acid.

I too thought that shoes were a load of nonsense but honestly they made a big difference to me. Go get your gait analysis done free in DW or somewhere then buy your shoes online! Much cheaper lol.

A major thing I'm working on now is my form, if you land on your heel and typically overstride i.e. your foot is landing away out in front of your hip you will suffer injury. There's loads of videos online of how elite athletes run especially the Kenyans, they all land on the ball of their foot. I'm hoping that this will reduce the shin splints also, but it's hard work to change how you land!

Doing Pilates is fantastic, I do a bit of yoga when I have time and it's great for stretching and popping everything into place. I also use a sports physio once a month or so!

P.S. you seem pretty clued up yourself but if you're just building up your running recently it will hurt. Don't do a hard session every day! Do a hard session followed by recovery run next day and remember to have a day off!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

Well the day is nearly here. Only thing worries me is that tunnel with being 6ft 4...at the familiarisation day I wiped it out as my right foot caught on way out and they had great trouble rebuilding it... Lol I'll definitely be taking my time through it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

.S. wrote: »
    Do you think different types of shoes make much of a difference? I don't want to pay a fortune for someone who analysises your gait etc and gives you fancy shoes if it'll make minimal difference...

They absolutely do make a difference, it's all to do with the way the cushioning/support is distributed in the sole unit of the shoe. You may well find your problem is resolved if you go and have gait analysis done and get proper running shoes that are right for your feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

19087 wrote: »
    They absolutely do make a difference, it's all to do with the way the cushioning/support is distributed in the sole unit of the shoe. You may well find your problem is resolved if you go and have gait analysis done and get proper running shoes that are right for your feet!

Thanks you two, shoe shopping it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mr Crimson

Hi Everyone

I had attended one of the PCA familiarization events at start of month and I've got my PCA this week. I was wondering if anyone can remember if the instructors told us would we be getting our medical dates with the letter at the end of the test or do we have to wait for that to come in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

.S. wrote: »
    Thanks you two, shoe shopping it is!

Stores such as decathlon for the belfast area, some DW SPORTS ni wide and CT sports in coleraine for the north coast, offer free analysis!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mr Crimson

Asics in Junction One retail park also do Gait analysis.

Not sure if they tell us the date. I think that could be received in post. But I believe if we pass we will receive a load of forms....

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Given01

Yeah places up at junction one offer gait analysis if your looking a proper pair! Failing that buy proper running shoes, normal track suits will tear the feet of you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Unless the Asics store has upgraded their offering their 'gait analysis' is a very basic.

It is essentially standing on a heat sensitive board where they will tell you if you have high/low arches, etc.

That is not a gait analysis. Pure Running in Beflast do it. They get you on a treadmill and video your running style. They then analyse accordingly.

I got my last pair in the Asics store and got their version of gait analysis. To be fair the shoes they got for me have been great. However, for my next pair I think I'll the proper analysis.

Edit: you could try the Wet Foot Test at home :D
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/shoes/choosing-a-shoe-the-very-basics/481.html

• Advertisement

Should probably move this to a foot analysis thread lol

Jb12345 wrote: »
    Should probably move this to a foot analysis thread lol

You mean a foot fetish thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rizzley

Nerves have kicked in now! Good luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Rizzley wrote: »
    Nerves have kicked in now! Good luck to everyone!

You will pass it no probs!

wanadrum wrote: »
    You will pass it no probs!

I hope so! Was confident enough after the trial the other week but I'm just praying I don't mess up the push/pull with bad technique. Wish I was up on the first day!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Rizzley wrote: »
    I hope so! Was confident enough after the trial the other week but I'm just praying I don't mess up the push/pull with bad technique. Wish I was up on the first day!

Thanks everyone and good luck to the peeps doing their AC soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

Good luck to everyone doing the PCA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Maverick89

Would I be right in thinking that if PCA is passed that we receive a medical questionaire to fill out? Would we also receive a date for a medical or will we receive correspondence regarding this by post?

Passed :) I was wrecked after lol takes it out if you more than you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭picture987

Congrats! Heading myself soon, fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Maverick89

Passed :) I was wrecked after lol takes it out if you more than you think.

Congrats! Did you get a date for medical or just questionaire? Was it as you expected difficulty wise? Did anyone not pass? Getting nervous for my own now!

Maverick89 wrote: »
    Congrats! Did you get a date for medical or just questionaire? Was it as you expected difficulty wise? Did anyone not pass? Getting nervous for my own now!

No date, it will be posted out to us, just the medical questionnaire, we have to bring that with us to our appointment.

I didn't expect it to tire me out as much but doing all the different things really does, everyone that came out was definitely breathing quite heavily... lol

We weren't allowed to check until we left but I passed a guy on carriageway that was there and we gave each other thumbs up so that's only other person I know lol

No date, it will be posted out to us, just the medical questionnaire, we have to bring that with us to our appointment.

I didn't expect it to tire me out as much but doing all the different things really does, everyone that came out was definitely breathing quite heavily... lol

We weren't allowed to check until we left but I passed a guy on carriageway that was there and we gave each other thumbs up so that's only other person I know lol

Congratulations!

picture987 wrote: »
    Congrats! Heading myself soon, fingers crossed

Good luck!

Passed as well! :) Glad to have got it out of the way!

Well done! How did u find it?

Thanks! Didn't find it too bad but was still gassed out at the end of it as was most people lol As long as you go at a steady pace and avoid any silly errors you will be grand! Balance beam and cones had me worried but they give you a few minutes to familiarise yourself with the course before starting!

Thanks! Didn't find it too bad but was still gassed out at the end of it as was most people lol As long as you go at a steady pace and avoid any silly errors you will be grand! Balance beam and cones had me worried but they give you a few minutes to familiarise yourself with the course before starting!

Thanks! I'm nervous!

Where you early morning or second session?

• Advertisement

Congrats to those that passed :D

Good that you find out on the day. There's enough waiting in this process you don't need more.

Advertisement