Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PCA/Fitness test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Maverick89

It was you I was speaking to Job4life. There was a few other lads there saying they view the boards but don't post. Get signed up lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Tim89

Was the course set out the same as the youtube videos then folks?
    What is the general consensus on how fit we all need to be to smash it?

Tim89 wrote: »
    Was the course set out the same as the youtube videos then folks?
    What is the general consensus on how fit we all need to be to smash it?

Pretty much. The wall is higher but they have added time on to accommodate this. I think if you have a decent level of finess it should not be a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DayDr3amer

Hi everyone, I was there last night too. I was speaking with job4life and maverick. Was very good to see it all set out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭El_Triboy

Is the push pull outside the time allocated for the course?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

Yes the push pull is outside the time limit set for the course but you have to head straight to it after having completed the course

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

El_Triboy wrote: »
    Is the push pull outside the time allocated for the course?

Yeah you do it after completion of the 3 circuits. For 20 sceonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rizzley

Job4life wrote: »
    I was there, had grey lycra running bottoms on, very skinny legs, lol. Was a good evening. Hopefully we'll meet again if we're successful

I saw those skinny legs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

Rizzley wrote: »
    I saw those skinny legs!

I can only hope people will think my legs are skinny enough to warrant remembering lol :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Job4life

Rizzley wrote: »
    I saw those skinny legs!

HAHA sorry for subjecting you to that guys!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭picture987

I was there, had grey lycra running bottoms on, very skinny legs, lol. Was a good evening. Hopefully we'll meet again if we're successful

Were they asics bottoms? If so, I too seen the now infamous skinny legs

picture987 wrote: »
    Were they asics bottoms? If so, I too seen the now infamous skinny legs

Haha your legs are famous now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

I also seen the skinny legs! Don't worry but, theres a squat rack in Garnerville :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

I also seen the skinny legs! Don't worry but, theres a squat rack in Garnerville :P

I love the squats, I was the young fella in grey sweats and a hollister hoody, then stripped off into navy shorts and a dark navy top with yellow writing!

Yeah the grey asics. Lol, I'll have to beef up

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rizzley

It will be hard not to open that letter until we leave the premises!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Maguidhir91

Has anyone got a link to that video?

I tried the various obstacles on the seminar in September, most things were simple, because of my height (6"6") I found the crawl and steps troublesome.

Does the time for the course include the push/pull, because I think I read that you do 20 seconds on that for each lap?

I'm not sure if you are allowed to advise on this, but when I tried the crawl in September, I went through on all fours so hands on feet and as knocked a peg off the thing I though maybe I should crawl on my knees and elbows if that makes sense in order to decrease the close proximity of my back with the pegs.

Has anyone got a link to that video?

I tried the various obstacles on the seminar in September, most things were simple, because of my height (6"6") I found the crawl and steps troublesome.

Does the time for the course include the push/pull, because I think I read that you do 20 seconds on that for each lap?

I'm not sure if you are allowed to advise on this, but when I tried the crawl in September, I went through on all fours so hands on feet and as knocked a peg off the thing I though maybe I should crawl on my knees and elbows if that makes sense in order to decrease the close proximity of my back with the pegs.

The push/pull is a separate element of the PCA. You complete 3 laps of the 'obstacle' course ( hopefully within the allocated time) then immediately walk towards the push/pull machine without stopping, getting your breath back, getting a drink retc. Once you are on the push/pull machine, set up and ready to go you will be told to start and your twenty seconds on it will commence then!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sapphire101

HI, i have seen the fitness course when i went to one of the info days before the IST's, did you guys get a chance to have a go or just the Push pull?
    Just wondering how tough it is and what the allocated time now is if anyone knows?
    I ride out rachorses for a living (battling with a half tonne animal who wants to take off with you isnt as easy as it looks) :P so i have good upper body strength and my legs are aolso pretty solid. I can run 3 miles in just under 20 minutes so I'm confident that i have the strength and fitness to get round in the time, my only issue is the steps.. im 5ft11, and consider myself to be a bit lanky so im worried about a stray elbow knocking the side of the "doors" and knocking the wee post off, just wondering if anyone has any tips for getting through the "doors" on the steps, or if they think theres any other non tall person friendly elements! :))

I'm 6 foot 6 inches and I knocked off the peg going down the stairs on that intro day, I think I got up too soon and may have rushed it.

• Advertisement

The crawl was a problem for me, I think I will try going through on knees and elbows rather than hands on feet also make sure you are far enough out of it before you stand up.

So just run round like the Hunchback of Notre Damme till were definitely all out of it and we're landed in that case!! :p also is the jump a standstill 2 footed or a leap over the mat? i know it says if it looks like youve stepped it youll have to do it again, it looked like something i could just stride over and wonder if i should make it look like a struggle to leap it?

Not sure, but the person with you takes you through the course on the day I think.

HI, i have seen the fitness course when i went to one of the info days before the IST's, did you guys get a chance to have a go or just the Push pull?
    Just wondering how tough it is and what the allocated time now is if anyone knows?
    I ride out rachorses for a living (battling with a half tonne animal who wants to take off with you isnt as easy as it looks) :P so i have good upper body strength and my legs are aolso pretty solid. I can run 3 miles in just under 20 minutes so I'm confident that i have the strength and fitness to get round in the time, my only issue is the steps.. im 5ft11, and consider myself to be a bit lanky so im worried about a stray elbow knocking the side of the "doors" and knocking the wee post off, just wondering if anyone has any tips for getting through the "doors" on the steps, or if they think theres any other non tall person friendly elements! :))

I'm 5'10'' and scurried through them no problem at the familiarisation session. I would run at a similar pace to yourself and grew up riding horses so I'd say if I found no problems with any of the elements then you shouldn't either:)

Picture987

Good to hear! thats put me at ease now! :) thanks and good luckl with your applictaion!

Apparently they don't want you opening the letter until you leave because a student officer was failed in the hall and he lay down on the floor and wouldn't get up meaning the rest of the days PCA's had to be cancelled... Awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Apparently they don't want you opening the letter until you leave because a student officer was failed in the hall and he lay down on the floor and wouldn't get up meaning the rest of the days PCA's had to be cancelled... Awkward

I would love to know what he thought was going to change by his lying on the floor

I know. Bit embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

lol just seen this. I'm sure they were raging they missed out on such a promising prospective police officer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TDA2

What happens if we pass the ist and the ac, but fail the pca? We have made the merit list, but peoples fitness goes up and down over the years. Would we be totally out, or would it be a case of being reinvited to the pca when the next recruitment program starts (as in when the next batch is going to GV)?

Advertisement