Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MD4PSNI

TDA2 wrote: »
    What happens if we pass the ist and the ac, but fail the pca? We have made the merit list, but peoples fitness goes up and down over the years. Would we be totally out, or would it be a case of being reinvited to the pca when the next recruitment program starts (as in when the next batch is going to GV)?

TDA, as far as i know if you fail thats your recruitment journey over!

No second chance at it. Back to square one im afraid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

What happens if we pass the ist and the ac, but fail the pca? We have made the merit list, but peoples fitness goes up and down over the years. Would we be totally out, or would it be a case of being reinvited to the pca when the next recruitment program starts (as in when the next batch is going to GV)?

I don't think anyone would fail due to fitness. Maybe due to nervousness or plain clumsiness.

Provided you have can manage the running part and have any upper body strength you should be grand :)

These are just my observations; perhaps someone who has been and done it would have a better reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rizzley

For me I'm worried the wall could catch me out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TDA2

Homer01 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone would fail due to fitness. Maybe due to nervousness or plain clumsiness.

Provided you have can manage the running part and have any upper body strength you should be grand :)

These are just my observations; perhaps someone who has been and done it would have a better reply.

Running is not my strong point, and even spending more time training it ain't getting better. Concerning me. I'm not grossly overweight but I'm strong - freaky and naturally strong. Never been good at running and getting frustrated. Can manage hours on bikes, hill walking, cross trainers etc. Cracking up... Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Rizzley wrote: »
    For me I'm worried the wall could catch me out :(

Don't worry about it - a child could climb it as there are steps up it practically

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭picture987

I don't think the test is particularly geared towards someone who is really fit or strong. I think it requires a combination of both in addition to agility, accuracy and the ability to think on your feet. You should have the course memorised prior to attempting it. I attempted the majority of elements sequentially three times at the faamilarisation session to get an idea of how tough if would be and I can safely say it will require a good level of fitness. If you don't and have never done aerobic exercise then you will struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭pastiesupper

Rizzley wrote: »
    It will be hard not to open that letter until we leave the premises!

According to the e-mail, when you pass you will be given a Medical Health Questionnaire. So, if you have a thick envelope to take away with you, then you have passed :) If it is a one-pager, then....

Not sure what their definition of "premises" is - but as soon as I am out of the building, I am ripping that envelope open! :cool:

Maybe if we give them a thick brown envelope they will reciprocate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Did a Parkrun this morning :eek::eek:

The weather was awful and of course even though it's not a race I always treat it like one :rolleyes:

Good fun though :D

Got a question... As we are ranked by merit when we finish our ac - will we know our rank? Obviously we can't be finally ranked till everyone is through. Have any of you received your score or breakdown with the invite to pca? I'm wondering if this will come on the 28th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rizzley

Got a question... As we are ranked by merit when we finish our ac - will we know our rank? Obviously we can't be finally ranked till everyone is through. Have any of you received your score or breakdown with the invite to pca? I'm wondering if this will come on the 28th.

We won't get a breakdown of our ac score until the end of March !

No scores yet, they said the scores will be sent in late march.

In previous campaigns you were able to get merit place from psni.

Damn.. Bang goes my theory. Thought if I was in top 110 for pca I'd take the package on offer in work! And if any final decision was made on additional recruits my number could increase. I'd be happy doing other work for a few months, but its a risk and numbers game with potential for big reward or big losses.

There is some difference in a road run and a treadmill. Feeling the calf muscles after the road, and it was flat. Its one muscle I wasn't stretching the right way.

Damn.. Bang goes my theory. Thought if I was in top 110 for pca I'd take the package on offer in work! And if any final decision was made on additional recruits my number could increase. I'd be happy doing other work for a few months, but its a risk and numbers game with potential for big reward or big losses.

There is some difference in a road run and a treadmill. Feeling the calf muscles after the road, and it was flat. Its one muscle I wasn't stretching the right way.

What theory just went bang?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

I thought the PCA and remaining stages were simply Pass or Fail and had no bearing on your position on the merit list?

I thought the PCA and remaining stages were simply Pass or Fail and had no bearing on your position on the merit list?

I believe that you are right

I believe that you are correct, but may be relevant as a tie breaker. My query was more as to when the merit list is published, and if that meant placing in the top 100 prior to pca would guarantee a place, assuming pca, medical and vetting was passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

Nerves set in yet for anyone doing the PCA next week?

Nerves set in yet for anyone doing the PCA next week?

I was a bit nervous until the familiarisation evening and that has settled me down - should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Job4life

Anyone up on Tuesday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

Job4life wrote: »
    Anyone up on Tuesday?

Yup will be glad to get it over and done with

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Maguidhir91

Can't say for safety reasons...actually, Friday in Texas near the first tree planted by a Mexican baptist...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Maguidhir91

Recently killed my feet in the gym doing interval training, somehow messed my feet up, think I sprained them somehow, hopefully they're better in time for my PCA if/when I pass assessment centre. Still recovering from slight back injury doing rack pulls a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Recently killed my feet in the gym doing interval training, somehow messed my feet up, think I sprained them somehow, hopefully they're better in time for my PCA if/when I pass assessment centre. Still recovering from slight back injury doing rack pulls a month ago.

Anyone any experience with shin splints, how to minimise them? Gotta go shopping for a proper set of running shoes but can only really do intervals at the mo with them, irritating as..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭picture987

.S. wrote: »
    Anyone any experience with shin splints, how to minimise them? Gotta go shopping for a proper set of running shoes but can only really do intervals at the mo with them, irritating as..

Yip, crippled with them regularly. Firstly, what sort of activity do you do, running, gym, football? Secondly, get a foam roller and checkout YouTube for tutorials on how to 'iron' them out so to speak. Thirdly, ensure you stretch and cool down properly it is something that is widely ignored! Fourthly, remember RICE! Rest, ice, compression, elevation! Invest in compression socks and ice up your legs when they're hurting! If you discover any other miraculous cures let me know!

picture987 wrote: »
    Yip, crippled with them regularly. Firstly, what sort of activity do you do, running, gym, football? Secondly, get a foam roller and checkout YouTube for tutorials on how to 'iron' them out so to speak. Thirdly, ensure you stretch and cool down properly it is something that is widely ignored! Fourthly, remember RICE! Rest, ice, compression, elevation! Invest in compression socks and ice up your legs when they're hurting! If you discover any other miraculous cures let me know!

Trying to get my running up to the 5k, and gym basically, cardio and weights/resistance training (I'm a girl, if that makes any difference lol). I do have a foam roller and use it for my back mainly and upper legs (lie on side and use on outer thigh kinda area) but will look into lower leg/other areas, thank you.
    Do warm up/cool down/stretch a lot, I get sciatica at times so I'm maybe more aware of stretching etc than most. Do Pilates and other exercises to keep myself right back wise. Only really do hamstring/quad/hip flexor stretches though for legs though? Will have to look into compression socks too!
    Do you think different types of shoes make much of a difference? I don't want to pay a fortune for someone who analysises your gait etc and gives you fancy shoes if it'll make minimal difference...
    You sound v knowledgable, appreciate the advise 😊

.S. Glad to see you're female. Especially with the pilates! By the sounds of things you'll be beating me in most of the running stuff!

.S. Glad to see you're female. Especially with the pilates! By the sounds of things you'll be beating me in most of the running stuff!

Oh wouldn't go that far. Running intervals I can do. Solid running, not so much.. Got to gym 6x this week, aiming for same until I hear if I'm headed to PCA, I haven't sat AC yet but know if I get past it PCA will come up fast..

.S. wrote: »
    Oh wouldn't go that far. Running intervals I can do. Solid running, not so much.. Got to gym 6x this week, aiming for same until I hear if I'm headed to PCA, I haven't sat AC yet but know if I get past it PCA will come up fast..

3 laps of the assault course in time is my target. I'll see what happens with the ac before I step up my training. Until after the pca I'll not really hit the training hard. I'd be worried about any injuries that might affect the pca. But the pca looks easy.... Its the time would be the worry. I'm being sad and have a 6.5ft wall built to practice a quick and clean jump. As running isn't my strong point I'm focusing on my natural abilities - strength etc where I'll make up time and aim for slow and steady. Its a tactic that will hopefully work!

• Advertisement

3 laps of the assault course in time is my target. I'll see what happens with the ac before I step up my training. Until after the pca I'll not really hit the training hard. I'd be worried about any injuries that might affect the pca. But the pca looks easy.... Its the time would be the worry. I'm being sad and have a 6.5ft wall built to practice a quick and clean jump. As running isn't my strong point I'm focusing on my natural abilities - strength etc where I'll make up time and aim for slow and steady. Its a tactic that will hopefully work!

I want to build a wall too! Lol watch or you'll have me over there to practise (swap ya wall practise for a free session with a PT lol)! I'm trying to focus on PCA just too, but aware that one of the suggested work outs in the PCA leaflet is the 5k run.. But I'm just aiming to keep inside the time too, doing what shield suggested with intervals and working on strength/weights for the push pull. Not sure how high the first in the set of steps is (know it's equivalent to the back of the landrovers), I've been doing step ups on a bench press hoping that's a similar height. I thought I was out of the running for this recruitment and now I've got my ac date I've got that and the PCA constantly in my thoughts!

Advertisement