Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zodiac; the best film of the past 10 years? If not, what is?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Gotta sit down and watch Zodiac the next time I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Could it be that its a lot easier to agree on what is a "good movie" than it is to get agreement on what is a masterpiece?

Oh yeah, easily. The stakes are much lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Evelyn Cusack

You get different feelings from films, there's those when you know you have seen something special, and those that you will return to time and time again, which could give you two different answers.

I have seen no country a few times and will see it many more.
    End of watch also, while I would say no country is a better film, by far, I'll see end of watch a good few more times.

The only other film that I have thought about for a long time after viewing is a French film called Declaration of War, which is a black comedy about a couple whose kid has a brain tumor. How can that possibly be a comedy?
    It's on Netflix, watch it, so well done

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Pan's Labyrinth. I don't think I've ever seen a film that melded fantasy and reality together as well. It's a slap in the face to those who dismiss fantasy as escape from reality: when the reality is unremittingly horrid, and there's no hope left, what if fantasy is the only sensible way to deal with it? The ending manages to be realistic and redemptive at the same time. I've never been as deeply moved by a film's story, before or since.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bnt wrote: »
    Pan's Labyrinth. I don't think I've ever seen a film that melded fantasy and reality together as well. It's a slap in the face to those who dismiss fantasy as escape from reality: when the reality is unremittingly horrid, and there's no hope left, what if fantasy is the only sensible way to deal with it? The ending manages to be realistic and redemptive at the same time. I've never been as deeply moved by a film's story, before or since.

It was on Film Four recently and I watched it for the first time in years, forgotten how good it was. That scene with the Pale Man is still creepy as hell, but it's the real world stuff that's more shocking, especially the bit with the
    wine bottle being smashed into the guys nose, was really brutal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

bnt wrote: »

I agree of all the films on that list its the one that made the most lasting impression. Have seen Zodiac remember enjoying it but don't remember much else about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Zodiac combines genres brilliantly. It has a startling ability to produce very eerie moments and utilise the frenetic pace to create a haunting atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

krudler wrote: »
    The scene at the lake was excellent, really unnerving.

That really really shook me. Its up there with that scene from Irreversible for impact.

I didn't know whether to laugh or puke at the dildo scene too.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

zodiac is a fine film without doubt, but it lacks a final conclusion it only speculates on who the real zodiac was

which for me was unsatisfying

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

fryup wrote: »
    zodiac is a fine film without doubt, but it lacks a final conclusion it only speculates on who the real zodiac was

What an inconsiderate prick that zodiac fella was for not getting caught, so 40 years later you could feel more satisfied after watching a movie.

• Advertisement

Just like real life then, they could hardly just make up something that didn't happen that'd be way worse. That's real police work, cases go unsolved, the rookie cop doesn't always make good and the SWAT team arrive right after the villain is dead in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

What an inconsiderate prick that zodiac fella was for not getting caught, so 40 years later you could feel more satisfied after watching a movie.

indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

But isn't that the whole point of the movie? You never know for sure who the killer really was, you have a good idea but there is always that doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

He could have given us a car chase at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

well there goes the ending

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

I'd have Ted down as my favourite with others such as In Bruges, Midnight in Paris, A Good Year, Gran Torino and Before Sunset and After Sunrise also in there

Riskymove wrote: »
    well there goes the ending

In fairness if you read all the way to page 9 of a thread titled Zodiac the best film of the last ten years? You hardly expect there not to be any discussion or spoilers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too pushed by anything on the OP's list to be honest .. and I certainly didn't rate Drive at all! The opening sequence was good but after that it falls off rapidly to where it's a completely different film.

So some of my favorites from recent times (in no particular order - just as I go through the media server here):

Catch Me If You Can - ok so it's 11 years old but an excellent film with great performances from the 2 leads. Plus it's based on a true story which makes it better/more interesting to me

Dodgeball - I don't care.. I love it :p The ridiculousness of Stiller's Whyte Goodman is hilarious.

End of Watch - already mentioned but the bond between the 2 characters/leads is brilliant. You really grow to like and care about them during the course of the film. Was surprised at how much it grabbed me

Inception - already covered by others.

Law Abiding Citizen - loved the interaction between the leads and the story kept me guessing throughout

Limitless - Great premise I thought and well executed

Taken - The sequel was a let-down but the first was a great action thriller that reinvigorated Neeson's career

Lord of War - excellent from start to finish. Possibly Cage's finest performance IMO. One of the best title/opening sequences ever too

Fast & Furious series - say what you will, this series has gotten better as it went along, delivers exactly what it promises, and they've done a fantastic job in weaving them all together

The Transporter series - I just love the big Audi really. Mine's not quite as impressive ("only" a 3L Quattro A6) but it's pretty damn good too :p

Other (somewhat older) favorites would include Goodfellas, The Running Man, Wall Street, Die Hard (of course!), Predator, Gandhi, Face Off and others I've seen wayy too many times :)

If I had to pick ONE from the newer lot above I'd probably pick Lord of War though.

Well you are entitled to your opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Could we have The Assassination of Jesse James... added to the poll?

Purely in the interests of good taste! (Not that I have any objection to the movies already there, but don't want to see a classic of the decade ignored)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

In fairness if you read all the way to page 9 of a thread titled Zodiac the best film of the last ten years? You hardly expect there not to be any discussion or spoilers?

well in fairness you could also say that the thread may have encouraged people who hadn't seen it to do so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Could we have The Assassination of Jesse James... added to the poll?

Purely in the interests of good taste! (Not that I have any objection to the movies already there, but don't want to see a classic of the decade ignored)

Personally i hated that film, another drawn out boring film with nothing going on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Should I watch The Assassination of Jesse James?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Warper wrote: »
    Personally i hated that film
    Subjective.
    Warper wrote: »
    with nothing going on
    Objectively false.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I HATED "country for old men" - I just really thought it was the most terrifically boring Film i've ever had the misfortune of watching.

Best movie in the last 10 years... tough question BUT, "Drive" with Ryan Gosling was really well done! I loved the use of silence in that movie.

Also, A guilty pleasure of mine is "Sucker Punch". Original story line. Savage sound track. it has hot girls, nazis, zombies, dragons, robots, orcs, samurai, etc... it has EVERYTHING.

Also,

Limitless
    Blood Diamond
    Lord of war

The 5 movies listed above are my favorites :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

brevity wrote: »
    If you love long, weighty, and atmospheric slow-burn movies then give it a go. I think it's incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

e_e wrote: »
    If you love long, weighty, and atmospheric slow-burn movies then give it a go. I think it's incredible.

Stellar soundtrack as well. That movie hung around in my head long after I saw it.
    Both Pitt & Affleck were great. Sam Rockwell is as watchable as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

brevity wrote: »

If you like westerns, it's one of the best of the last 10 years. Strong performance, some beautiful cinematic shots, great soundtrack!

Didn't get the recognition it deserved and it made a loss at the box office, it came out around the same time as 'There Will Be Blood', and a month later 'No Country for Old Men'

Exceptionally strong period for the western theme.

FlashD wrote: »
    If you like westerns, it's one of the best of the last 10 years. Strong performance, some beautiful cinematic shots, great soundtrack!

Didn't get the recognition it deserved and it made a loss at the box office, it came out around the same time as 'There Will Be Blood', and a month later 'No Country for Old Men'

Exceptionally strong period for the western theme.

In my opinion it's a far better film than both of them. Hated There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men but loved the Assassination of Jesse James brilliant film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Great thread! Couldn't say what's the best, Assassination of Jesse James is very overlooked; and I'd second Oldboy and put forward Fish Tank for candidates for top 20 too

• Advertisement

Another totally underrated film was Open Range, great western, shootout at the end is absolutely superb.

Advertisement