Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zodiac; the best film of the past 10 years? If not, what is?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

A very recent movie that think is worthy of a mention is Prisoners with Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenahll and Terrence Howard.

I watched it at the weekend. Reminded me of another similar great movie, Mystic River!!

A great watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Watched Garden State again there the other night and it should be on the list..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

fight club anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

viztopia wrote: »
    fight club anyone?

10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Always loved Zodiac. Fantastic Film.
    The second film that immediately sprang to mind is "The Assassination of Jesse James...". I see its just been mentioned on the previous page. I know some people hate it but for me its a masterpiece. The soundtrack, the acting, the pace of the film, cinematography... it just has it all really. I know some found it really slow and boring but i thought it was a good story very well told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

aidankkk wrote: »
    Watched Garden State again there the other night and it should be on the list..

I actually liked Garden State despite all the stick it gets but in my opinion it's not good enough to be on the list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Probably a little biased because I have a huge interest in sharks and tornados but Sharknado is there or thereabouts with the best films of the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Den_M wrote: »

This was by far my favourite of the last decade, not saying it's the best, per say. But it's a pleasure to watch and I doubt I'll get tired of seeing it.

Yay. I was a little concerned by its absence on this thread. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

I voted for Pan's Labyrinth, love everything about that film. Surprised not one mention for tinker, tailor, soldier, spy. A film full of great performances

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The Lives of Others

Perfection in film making. Not only the best film of the last ten years, the best film I have ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

Jeez, I was disappointed that Superbad wasn't on the list. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Didn't get the hype for this at all. Sure it had some quotable lines but the characters were so obnoxious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If ever there was a film for one viewing and one viewing only....

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Superbad, in this case you can judge the book by its cover, and by cover I mean name.

Ah no it's not the worst :) just not worthy of a mention amongst these babelicious pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I quite liked Superbad, it had some great one liners and the soundtrack was brilliant.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is definitely on the list, I love Shane Black's work and it ticks all the boxes. Set at Christmas, check. Satire on Hollywood and movies in general, check. Razor sharp one liners, check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I'm a huge LOTR fan so the Lord of the Rings Trilogy is a huge triumph and I'll rewatch it happily for years to come so that's definitely up there with my cinematic highlights for the last 10 years.

No Country for Old Men is amazing, I love the tension and how it doesn't cave to nicely sum things up for you at the end. The whole cast and cinematography are incredible too.

Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood is probably the most astounding acting I've seen by any actor in the past 10 years, I was just blown away by how huge his character was and yet how effortless he made it. The film itself isn't the easiest watch out there but I could watch that performance over and over again and never get bored.

I'm so delighted Zodiac got so many mentions as I had no idea how popular it was, I've seen it twice and got my fiance to watch it the second time and it's just a really fascinating story, creepy and unnerving yet never stoops to standard Hollywood scenes.

Also you can't have a list and not mention Toy Story 3, Moon, Pan's Labyrinth and Inception, some of the most enjoyable films I've seen.

I'm very surprised The Wrestler hasn't been mentioned either, I find that film really moving, it totally took me by surprise and Mickey Rourke is brilliant in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

e_e wrote: »
    Didn't get the hype for this at all. Sure it had some quotable lines but the characters were so obnoxious.

For what it is (a sex comedy aimed at teenagers) it's in a league of its own. I don't think the characters were supposed to be particularly likeable. I mean sure it meanders and the humour isn't particularly sophisticated but I think it's a cracking good comedy. Not worthy of this thread but compare it with its peers and it's a stone cold classic, imo. But to be fair I was bang at the age it was aimed at when it was released, probably a lot of sentimental value attached to it for me.

loveBBhate wrote: »
    e_e wrote: »
    If ever there was a film for one viewing and one viewing only....

Different strokes and all, I think it's great. I felt for the characters. And making me feel for a character as obnoxious as Seth takes a lot of skill, IMO.

Not worthy of this thread but compare it with its peers and it's a stone cold classic, imo. But to be fair I was bang at the age it was aimed at when it was released, probably a lot of sentimental value attached to it for me.

Hmmm, I think it is more worthy of this thread than others in the list. The Dark Knight? The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? Psssh. There tends to be a bit a bit of snobbery towards comedy unless they're like Woody Allen or someone, but IMO Superbad is a modern classic. I also don't even think it was aimed at a certain age group. And the fact that the first draft was written by two 13 year olds. Wow.

• Advertisement

Different strokes and all, I think it's great. I felt for the characters. And making me feel for a character as obnoxious as Seth takes a lot of skill, IMO.

To be fair, that scene at the house party where Evan sings, gets me every time :( beautiful :)

Den_M wrote: »

This was by far my favourite of the last decade, not saying it's the best, per say. But it's a pleasure to watch and I doubt I'll get tired of seeing it.
    Yay. I was a little concerned by its absence on this thread. :D

Most definitely the most overrated film of the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Has no one mentioned Slumdog Millionaire yet? Also Gran Torino and The Town deserve mentions.

Hmmm, I think it is more worthy of this thread than others in the list. The Dark Knight? The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? Psssh. There tends to be a bit a bit of snobbery towards comedy unless they're like Woody Allen or someone, but IMO Superbad is a modern classic. I also don't even think it was aimed at a certain age group. And the fact that the first draft was written by two 13 year olds. Wow.

And they named the bromance characters after themselves, baawww! Well I'd say it's aimed at teenagers/early twenties kind of demographics, I'm sure there are people of all ages who enjoy it though.

Yeah and I agree that there's a bit of action-movie/Nolan-boner stuff in this thread, though I think the Dark Knight deserves a spot.

Most definitely the most overrated film of the last few years.

Gwaaaaay outta that the 'Drive' soundtrack alone is better than Superbad, sorry :)

Has no one mentioned Slumdog Millionaire yet? Also Gran Torino and The Town deserve mentions.

Was surprised myself that The Town wasn't mentioned when GBG has been a few times, Afflek's two.

loveBBhate wrote: »
    Gwaaaaay outta that the 'Drive' soundtrack alone is better than Superbad, sorry :)

Actually, both films have great soundtracks.

I had heard so much about Drive and was soooo disappointed when I watched it. It's one of those films it de rigeur to say you love.

Actually, both films have great soundtracks.

I had heard so much about Drive and was soooo disappointed when I watched it. It's one of those films it de rigeur to say you love.

I went in blind thinking it was about race car driving or something, should've copped the cert in fairness, also hadn't ever seen anything of the director's work before. I left rather queasy but mightily impressed!

Gran Torino for me has to be up there. Absolutely loved it. Some other great shouts throughout the thread and I too loved Zodiac.

However on scale the LOTR movies were on they were all just incredible can re-watch them without effort so The Return of the King would get it for me.

• Advertisement

Drive, that lift/elevator scene <3

Advertisement