Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zodiac; the best film of the past 10 years? If not, what is?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

of the last 10 years you say....mmm. Most of the Films I love were mad before this.

The Dawn of the Dead remake (2004), The direction was superb, they Characters were interesting and the zombies were Scary.....before we were totally over exposed to zombies. Such a good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

The Prestige for me. Never get tired of it.

Drive a close second, not the greatest film ever made, but so enjoyable. Love Cranston and Brooks in it.

I judge films mainly by how many times i watch them. There are great films like The Godfather and The Act Of Killing that i would not watch again and again. Something like Ripley's Game which is such fun....thats the kind of thing i go back to every year or two (Ripley's game is 11 years ago, not 10).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Evelyn Cusack

The Prestige for me. Never get tired of it.

Drive a close second, not the greatest film ever made, but so enjoyable. Love Cranston and Brooks in it.

I judge films mainly by how many times i watch them. There are great films like The Godfather and The Act Of Killing that i would not watch again and again. Something like Ripley's Game which is such fun....thats the kind of thing i go back to every year or two (Ripley's game is 11 years ago, not 10).

I used the same logic to get End of Watch, i know there are better and deeper films out there, but I will probably watch this more than all others.

And it is the only film where i truly had my heart in my mouth most of the time, just worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Glad to see The Prestige getting a bit of recognition.
    Completely gets overlooked when compared against Nolan's heavyweights.
    It's a splendid movie, with some top notch acting from both Jackman & Bale as equally compelling characters.
    And as for Bowie as Tesla, inspired casting.
    It's a movie that offers more & more each time you watch it; trying to spot clues or mistakes. And while you'll find the former, the latter are very hard to come by.

I watched The Departed on Film Four recently. First time I'd seen it in quite a while.
    I think it's gotta be one of the strongest castings in recent years, and everyone brings they're "A" game.
    Just as good as the first time I seen it. Might not be as deep as some of the other movies, but it's an absolute riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Oldboy also a classic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Even recently I'd have Gravity and Prisoners on my list, two fantastic movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Wall-e, How to Train Your Dragon and Coraline are all great animated films.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Love Zodiac. I voted for Gone Baby Gone though. Definitely underrated. Cast was amazing. Ben Affleck did a great job directing. One of the best endings ever I reckon. Loose ends are all tied up but it leaves a lingering question that I still think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Children of Men, The Fall, Wall-e and The Prestige. It's like Sophie's choice trying to narrow it any more but it would be one of those for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

This is england. Fantastic film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Has to be Oldboy, easily the greatest film ever produced in my view. It's just pure magic, beautifully shot, a gripping story, a masterpiece in both storytelling and acting, plus that soundtrack is beautiful - proof that action scenes do not require loud techno music behind it.

I never get sick of it and always discover something new hidden away when I watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Before Sunset and Dead Man's Shoes for me.

Bad Santa would also be up there. Love that film!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Den_M wrote: »

This was by far my favourite of the last decade, not saying it's the best, per say. But it's a pleasure to watch and I doubt I'll get tired of seeing it.

Oh god no, it has got to be one of, if not the most boring drawn out pile of shíte of a film I have ever had the misfortune to endure. Words can not express how much I hated it!
    How is it possible for a bad ass stunt driver come getaway wheelman to be so god damn boring? How is that even possible?
    krudler wrote: »
    The Social Network is definitely up there for me, I'll admit I groaned when I heard "facebook...the movie!" but it turned out to be one of the best films of the last few years. Razor sharp script, brilliant soundtrack, excellent performances and crazy good use of CGI that you'd never notice(it has more effects shots than Star Wars Episode III).

Really? I'll have to check it out again, I seen it a few years back and whereas I thought it was a great film it didn't exactly scream special effects at me!

My nomination has been withdrawn for being too old Memento was made in 2000 - where the hell does the time go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

CRASH - 2004
    Sandra Bullock, Matt Dillon, Thandie Newton,
    Don Cheadle, Terrence Howard. Director Paul Haggis.

poster_crash_movie.jpg

For me, it would be a close shave between this^ & No country for old men.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Crash? jesus no, one of the worst films to ever win oscars

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Has to be Downfall for me, purely for what it did and how good Bruno Ganz was as Hitler. Utterly sublime. Although it's a tough call between that and No Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

No other love for Shutter Island?!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

There Will Be Blood is probably the best film of the past 10 years - I can't think of anything else that comes close.

No Country for Old Men and Cache are the two others I think are great, but TWBB is just a powerhouse.

Also - too soon really to judge The Act of Killing, but I think it might ultimately rank up there with the great movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭popepaisley1

just after watching children of men again so i definitely think it should at least be on the list. the prophet should be another.

othere than that, ya, zodiac was very good. very, very good in fact! defintely a contender. personally i think the social network was better but thats me. but if i had to pick one from the list it would be the lives of others. probably the best movie of the last 10 years. that and united 93 (should be on the list!)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Really? I'll have to check it out again, I seen it a few years back and whereas I thought it was a great film it didn't exactly scream special effects at me!

Tons of CGI, sure the twins are played by two different people, they just CGI'ed Armie Hammers head onto the other guys body. Zodiac has a load of effects work too:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

No Country for Old Men is average imo but it had a great villain.

Zodiac is pretty boring in fairness.

Of the above list i pick There will be Blood. What a performance

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Warper wrote: »

In fairness, it's completely gripping from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

What about in Bruges..

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Either Take Shelter or Eternal Sunshine. Both modern classics in their respective genres.

Warper wrote: »
    No Country for Old Men is average imo but it had a great villain.

Of the above list i pick There will be Blood. What a performance

Might be in the minority in this Zodiac love-in thread but I too found it pretty boring. Found my interest waning over the long run-time for me. The following are ones that I'd have on my list for the last 10 years.

The lives of others

I saw the Devil

A Prophet

Cache

There will be blood

No country for old men

Up in the air

Winter's Bone

Syriana

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Didn't like Zodiac either

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Disgraceful how little of this list I've seen. Looks like I need to watch No Coutry... ASAP.
    Saw Zodiac years ago and barely remember it. Can't have enjoyed it all that much.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Rewatched Zodiac on the back of this thread and it really is excellent. Such a perfect thriller.

For those who plan on re-watching it, have a listen to the music playing in the background when Gyllenhall and Downey Jr go to the pub and have that strange looking drink :)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

inception and zodiac,really love both them,if you like zodiac ye should check out Prisoners

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

I voted for no country for old men in the poll but there are loads that I really enjoyed. Off the top of my head I would say some standout films are:

Into the Wild
    Cinderella Man
    Zodiac
    A history of Violence
    Argo
    No country for old men
    Lord of the Rings Return of the king
    Gangs of New york
    Drive
    Sin City
    The impossible
    The Hangover