Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zodiac; the best film of the past 10 years? If not, what is?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

catallus wrote: »
    I've watched this about 5 times and I still can't make head nor tail of it[the white ribbon] It is entrancing, but why? Is it the sound??? The creepy silences? I dunno. It is really good but tis no Under Siege.

Isn't it just beautiful to watch? Great acting? An absorbing story? And as you said the silences. The music. That's cinema.

What's it about? It's not about nothing. The foreboding in the movie comes in part from where and when it was shot- the kids will grow up to fight for Germany in WWII. The old order is breaking down. But it avoids the cliches of most story telling. Life isn't always resolved fully, neither was this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mousewar wrote: »
    That's the whole point of the film??

All I know is that a film based on dreams should have scenes that are even vaguely dreamlike, not scenes that are exactly like real life except you have magical powers.
    Only God Forgives, despite its flaws, was much better at capturing a dreamlike reality. As are most David Lynch films.

I can only speak for my dreams, but most of mine have quite a lot of basis in real life situations, people, places etc. They 'built' the dreams the person was having, it was whatever they wanted it to be, barring any steps someone had taken to stop it. A dreamlike reality and constructed dreams are two very different things when comparing those films.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

im gonna give pans labyrinth a whirl now. hopefully its as much a treat as everyone is making it out to be

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This voting list and discussion is all too American though.

It's nobody's fault that the full range of American Cinema stands head and shoulders above the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Isn't it just beautiful to watch? Great acting? An absorbing story? And as you said the silences. The music. That's cinema.

What's it about?..... Life isn't always resolved fully, neither was this.

Yes I've actually watched it again since I posted that, and I'm pretty sure it is one of the films that will stand the test of time; I'm not one to buy into arty films but it was something on a different level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    the full range of American Cinema stands head and shoulders above the rest.
    What makes you say this? I'd argue that the 2000s may be the greatest decade yet for non-American cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's nobody's fault that the full range of American Cinema stands head and shoulders above the rest.
    That's just crazy talk - it's been over 30 years since American cinema has been the best in the world. Gone rapidly downhill ever since the 70s.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

That's just crazy talk - it's been over 30 years since American cinema has been the best in the world. Gone rapidly downhill ever since the 70s.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

I don't know how you can make that claim... if you're talking about overall output.

Who in your opinion has been making better films for the last 30+ years?

The French (non!), the Chinese (不), Hong Kong (唔係), Japanese (いいえ), Koreans (아니)... so who?

Seems highly unlikely you'll have a convincing answer, but I'm open (and for the record I'd agree the 70s was a brilliant time for US cinema).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Well that's your opinion but statistics and facts never lie, American cinema is the dominant force worldwide because people think it is the best. Supply and demand.

The 80's were better than the 70's. Bladerunner, Indy, Terminator, Predator, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Aliens, the Shining, Empire Strikes Back to name a few.....even Batman finally made an appearance in '89. What a decade!

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

I don't know how you can make that claim... if you're talking about overall output.

Who in your opinion has been making better films for the last 30+ years?

The French (non!), the Chinese (不), Hong Kong (唔係), Japanese (いいえ), Koreans (아니)... so who?

Seems highly unlikely you'll have a convincing answer, but I'm open (and for the record I'd agree the 70s was a brilliant time for US cinema).

Japanese and the French. Easy.
    Even the Chinese since the 80s with the fifth generation have been making strong original stuff. America has been remaking the same films for decades now. With every emphasis being on making a buck, originality has been shunned.

• Advertisement

FlashD wrote: »
    Well that's your opinion but statistics and facts never lie, American cinema is the dominant force worldwide because people think it is the best. Supply and demand.

The 80's were better than the 70's. Bladerunner, Indy, Terminator, Predator, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Aliens, the Shining, Empire Strikes Back to name a few.....even Batman finally made an appearance in '89. What a decade!

You mean it's the most popular? Yeah, we all know that.
    Bladerunner, yes. The Shining, yes. The rest are all (enjoyable) blockbuster hokum.

Japanese and the French. Easy.
    Even the Chinese since the 80s with the fifth generation have been making strong original stuff. America has been remaking the same films for decades now. With every emphasis being on making a buck, originality has been shunned.

As someone that's seen hundreds of Japanese films and at least 2k HK/Chniese movies I'd definitely disagree.

There's lots of great directors and movies from these places, but I def wouldn't think you'd find many people that would agree.

On top of that, as we both know, Japan and China and HK all love to remake US films as well.. So. You know... I find the whole notion a bit hard to justify.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

You mean it's the most popular? Yeah, we all know that.
    Bladerunner, yes. The Shining, yes. The rest are all (enjoyable) blockbuster hokum.

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no way that, well, any of them should be described as "hokum". You do realise what that word means right?

As someone that's seen hundreds of Japanese films and at least 2k HK/Chniese movies I'd definitely disagree.

:eek::eek::eek:

Where do you get the time to do that?

:eek::eek::eek:

Where do you get the time to do that?

I managed an Asian Pop Culture store in the US for three years and spent 12 hours a day, somedays, watching Asian movies. And I had to buy in new titles and go to sponsored screenings (I saw Fallen Angels in the cinema maybe 10 times and GITS in the cinema at least 30 times).

We also had meet and greets with famous Asian personalities like Sammo Hung and Donnie Yen, to name two.

So yeah, thousands of Asian movies over the years.

On top of that, as we both know, Japan and China and HK all love to remake US films as well

And vice versa!

It's simple for me really. Ever since Spielberg and Lucas introduced the blockbuster, Hollywood has been chasing the dime with films. Any attempts at originality or independent thought are smothered in favour of what the studios know will work - i.e. repeat the same crap.
    Other countries will probably go the same way and some are already showing signs but on the whole, over the last thirty years, French, Japanese and Chinese cinema has been far braver, far more original, and far more interesting.

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no way that, well, any of them should be described as "hokum". You do realise what that word means right?

Aye.
    They're nonsense. Enjoyable nonsense.

And vice versa!

It's simple for me really. Ever since Spielberg and Lucas introduced the blockbuster, Hollywood has been chasing the dime with films. Any attempts at originality or independent thought are smothered in favour of what the studios know will work - i.e. repeat the same crap.
    Other countries will probably go the same way and some are already showing signs but on the whole, over the last thirty years, French, Japanese and Chinese cinema has been far braver, far more original, and far more interesting.

I wouldn't disagree that these countries took more chances, but even if you just look at production values and screenwriting the Japanese and Chinese have been miles behind the US for the entire time, with few exceptions.

I love Asian movies - love them so much - but as a whole I just disagree. As a whole.

Any given year the best movie could be from anywhere, but cumulatively... No. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Hollywood has been chasing the dime with films. Any attempts at originality or independent thought are smothered in favour of what the studios know will work - i.e. repeat the same crap.

Are we talking Hollywood or America? Because nobody can argue with the quality of American cinema for the past 30 years. Forget about Hollywood. The quality and scope of non-Hollywood American cinema is consistently amazing and easily the par of any other countries output.

It's funny though, if you just choose random years and try and determine what the best movie world wide is...

Choose 1988, for example

Japan:
    Akira
    Totoro
    Grave of the Fireflies
    Tetsuo: The Iron Man
    Urusei Yatsura - Final Chapter
    Hope And Pain

HK:
    As Tears Go By
    Painted Faces
    Police Story 2
    School on Fire
    Tiger Cage
    Dragons Forever

China::
    Red Sorghum

France:
    Hotel Terminus
    Camille Claudel
    The Music Teacher

Spain:
    Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown

US:
    Rainman
    The Abyss
    Beaches
    Big
    Beatlejuice
    Die Hard
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
    Eight Men Out
    Running On Empty
    Naked Gun
    Last Temptation of Christ
    Thin Blue Line
    Bull Durham
    Midnight Run
    Dead Ringers
    They Live!

UK:
    A Fish Called Wanda
    Dangerous Liaisons
    Drowning By Numbers

Netherlands:
    The Vanishing

Italy:
    Cinema Paradiso

Poland:
    A Short Film About Killing

Czechoslovakia:
    Alice

India:
    Salaam Bombay! (though not REALLY a purely Indian production)

Which country "won" this year?

And yes I know I left everyone's favourite film of 1988 of the list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

It's funny though, if you just choose random years and try and determine what the best movie world wide is...

Choose 1988, for example

Japan:
    Akira
    Totoro
    Grave of the Fireflies
    Hope And Pain

HK:
    As Tears Go By
    Painted Faces
    Police Story 2
    School on Fire
    Tiger Cage
    Dragons Forever

Red Sorghum

France:
    Hotel Terminus
    Camille Claudel

Spain:

US:
    Rainman
    The Abyss
    Beaches
    Big
    Beatlejuice
    Die Hard
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
    Eight Men Out
    Running On Empty
    Naked Gun
    Thin Blue Line
    Bull Durham
    Midnight Run
    Dead Ringers
    They Live!

UK:
    A Fish Called Wanda
    Dangerous Liaisons
    Drowning By Numbers

Netherlands:
    The Vanishing

Italy:
    Cinema Paradiso

Poland:

Czechoslovakia:
    Alice

India:

Well I started this aside by saying the list on top of the thread was too American. That list isn't, even if America possibly dominates. And most of us can't tell really, I watch plenty of foreign language movies and I've seen 3 on that list. And two were uniquely popular outside their home countries. I've seen all the American movies. Given that fact American movies would dominate most peoples list. Still, worth pointing out. We all have a bias to what we watch.

Flippin' hell. I'm starting to think I'm in over my head here.

Well I started this aside by saying the list on top of the thread was too American. That list isn't, even if America possibly dominates. And most of us can't tell really, I watch plenty of foreign language movies and I've seen 3 on that list. And two were uniquely popular outside their home countries. I've seen all the American movies. Given that fact American movies would dominate most peoples list. Still, worth pointing out. We all have a bias to what we watch.

Of course! We almost as a rule prefer what we know.

Saying that I've seen all but maybe 3-4 on that list and I'd vote that on whole the US wins 1988.

But different years might be different AND did the US produce the best overall film of '88? Maybe not.

I managed an Asian Pop Culture store in the US for three years and spent 12 hours a day, somedays, watching Asian movies. And I had to buy in new titles and go to sponsored screenings (I saw Fallen Angels in the cinema maybe 10 times and GITS in the cinema at least 30 times).

We also had meet and greets with famous Asian personalities like Sammo Hung and Donnie Yen, to name two.

So yeah, thousands of Asian movies over the years.

Fair enough! I don't envy you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

No you didnt. One of my top 3 films ever is in that list. :)

And vice versa!

So spot on, if we're arguing Hollywood vs. the rest of the world (and maybe the American independent too) then it must be the latter every time for me.

No you didn't Grave of the Fireflies/My Neighbor Totoro were the best thing of that year. ;)

e_e wrote: »
    No you didn't Grave of the Fireflies/My Neighbor Totoro were the best thing of that year. ;)

It's not a hard case to make though I'd personally have Akira instead of Grave because I think it's a singular achievement.

GOTF is amazing though. Truly touching and awful and beautiful.

No argument re: Totoro ;)

Of course some people would argue that Thin Blue Line is better, or Women on the Verge or They Live or even As Tears Go By (a classic, classic flick).

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    No you didnt. One of my top 3 films ever is in that list. :)

Let me guess:

Big

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Choose 1988, for example

Japan:
    Akira
    Totoro
    Grave of the Fireflies
    Hope And Pain

HK:
    As Tears Go By
    Painted Faces
    Police Story 2
    School on Fire
    Tiger Cage
    Dragons Forever

Red Sorghum

France:
    Hotel Terminus
    Camille Claudel
    The Music Teacher

Spain:

US:
    Rainman
    The Abyss
    Beaches
    Big
    Beatlejuice
    Die Hard
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
    Eight Men Out
    Running On Empty
    Naked Gun
    Thin Blue Line
    Bull Durham
    Midnight Run
    Dead Ringers
    They Live!

UK:
    A Fish Called Wanda
    Dangerous Liaisons
    Drowning By Numbers

Netherlands:
    The Vanishing

Italy:
    Cinema Paradiso

Poland:

Czechoslovakia:
    Alice

India:

Nope, you've included Die Hard.

Advertisement