Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSF 2013 ROUND UP!! **Please post ideas for this year here!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

bluewolf wrote: »
    Or a sporty run 5km one from the mods in question.

That's a really good suggestion - a 5k and 10k run could be organised - make it fancy dress or something random for a bit of interest. We could always throw cake at them :D

danniemcq wrote: »
    Yeah i know i used to work in one!

hmmm a SSF LAN but probably not enough time to set up one this year but a desert bus type event could work better

Which one? Wired?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Which one? Wired?

Clan on Dominic St, I think it became Wired (if it was the one at the bottom of eyre square)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The biggest thing everyone here could do would be to become social media evangelists for SSF.

I think we might have some interesting things to have fun with as well, in a sort of a raffle manner.

Will talk to HQ about making donators subscribers too... I'm sure they wouldnt have a problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

so the beers still on for the 21st?

I've a 12 pubs in Westport, but I may go up to the big shmoke if there an AH beers going on, I missed the last one due to work

• Advertisement

wprathead wrote: »
    so the beers still on for the 21st?

I've a 12 pubs in Westport, but I may go up to the big shmoke if there an AH beers going on, I missed the last one due to work

Yup to keep things tidy the beers is now an announcement for now so you should see it above the forum. The thread will be reopened closer to the date

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Anyone wrote: »
    Pay to bailout people from Prison. People get nominated, and Boards can set a price for their release. If the price is met, they are unbanned and given one more chance here.

I can see a certain Facekicker raising thousands.

That and bid to be a mod of AH for a week.

titan18 wrote: »
    That and bid to be a mod of AH for a week.

Only if the mods can bid not to be a mod for a week...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

1. Get someone to design standard fb profile and cover pics, a twibbon and a standard boards sig. Sig should be a link.

2. Awesome independent website. Wordpress theme would do. Link to Paypal page.

3. Appeal to local newspapers for a free ad. They have literally nothing to fill the space. "Sheepdog lost in Clane" etc. Half them are CE schemes anyway.

4. Ask the registered charities involved for use of their logo for the bottom of print adverts.

5. NCH / National Concert Hall always good for a charity event. Maybe for an opera during the Christmas period whatever orchestra is performing could do the ten minutes backing music to the Looney Tunes Wagner & Bugs Bunny / Elmer Fudd sketch with the movie part played on a projector screen, they have those facilities. End with a message about how awesome it was being a kid, hit them up for donations during the interval. Guarantee a few tears and a Youtube vid would get popular pretty fast. Great for raising awareness. Also, dollas.

6. Hit the colleges. Surely a huge number of boardsies are in college, and collecting on campus requires - and I speak from experience - super little authority. Pint glass and a good lecture address and you're good to go. Easily raise a few hundred quid in a day.

7. Local fundraising groups. Absolutely the way to go.

I was supposed to help with all this, like, 6 months ago but was also starting my own business - which, it turns out, is exactly as demanding as people say - and I fell off the radar. Happy to help in any online and local ways though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sponsor people to donate blood, I can and should do it, but am phobic about needles, knowing I would be helping kids would help me do it.

Could have people sponsor even a euro for someone to do it.

And imagine the impact of that at a time of year when blood supplies are short, boards finding a way to helping save lives (which blood donation does) while fundraising?

• Advertisement

Can we have a Guinness Book of Records attempt?

Most people to kiss under mistletoe. No entry that i saw, so 100 people would be enough.

Tenner to participate, loads of national attention for the ssf. And kisses at Christmas! Whats not to like?!

Can we have a Guinness Book of Records attempt?

Most people to kiss under mistletoe. No entry that i saw, so 100 people would be enough.

Tenner to participate, loads of national attention for the ssf. And kisses at Christmas! Whats not to like?!

That's genius!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Tom, this might be a good project to help.

I volunteer with Ozanam house in Mountjoy square.

They are starting a Youth Music School in January and badly need equipment and materials.
    They run programs for people aged 2 - 92 and eveything inbetween but the music school will be specifically for the kidlets.
    They have hundreds of kids coming through the doors every week for everything from pre-school groups to youth cooking classes.

It's an amazing centre run by some great people and any help they get will go a long way to helping the developmental education of a massive amount of children and young adults in innercity Dublin.

I'm going to send you a mail with the contact details for the centre manager so you can have a chat with him directly and see if you can help them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057088124

Just FYI, there's a SSF comedy night on this Saturday if anyone is interested :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yep, its always a great laugh ... this year looks like the best ever with a great line up of comedians you would normally have to pay to see but will be free on the night!!

Anyone who wants to help, could also bump this thread ... just saying :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057088124

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Fill in the fifth star for users for €50.

<<<

:)

Myself and xia were on Dublin City FM this morning - not sure if any of you caught it? Did our best to tell everyone about the great work done by SSF :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

A new Idea, Start a thread in After Hours called the '2013 SSF raffle thread'. Donate €X (i say €10), Post in the thread with the paypal I'D code. The number beside your post is the number in the raffle. 10% of the total is the one and only prize the other 90% to charity. 1000 people would be €10000. €9000 for SSF and €1000 for one very lucky person the week leading up to xmas.

The draw can be done by someone in the office either with raffle tickets or a random number generator.Maybe even do a live webcast.

Rules would be your only allowed post in the thread when you donate the €x amount. You can donate more than once to have multiple ticket numbers.
    Winner would be paid the winnings into their paypal account.
    Now pick holes in it for me.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ken wrote: »
    A new Idea, Start a thread in After Hours called the '2013 SSF raffle thread'. Donate €X (i say €10), Post in the thread with the paypal I'D code. The number beside your post is the number in the raffle. 10% of the total is the one and only prize the other 90% to charity. 1000 people would be €10000. €9000 for SSF and €1000 for one very lucky person the week leading up to xmas.

The draw can be done by someone in the office either with raffle tickets or a random number generator.Maybe even do a live webcast.

Rules would be your only allowed post in the thread when you donate the €x amount. You can donate more than once to have multiple ticket numbers.
    Is it legal? (I suspect the answer is no, but I am not a lawyer)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

ken wrote: »

You'd have to have a minimum donation though, or there will be a lot of €0.50 donations for extra raffle tickets.
    Other than that, I think it's a great idea.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Is it legal? (I suspect the answer is no, but I am not a lawyer)
    I won't tell if you don't. Seriously though. If its all done online their should be no problems I think.
    You'd have to have a minimum donation though, or there will be a lot of €0.50 donations for extra raffle tickets.
    Other than that, I think it's a great idea.
    Oh yeah definitely. I suggest €10 minimum but that might be to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Against PayPal rules as its considered gambling.
    A lot of friends and family payments of the same amount to 1 account gets flagged and the account gets suspended.
    Otherwise people buying tickets can cover PayPal fees but I'm not sure if that might get flagged in the same way.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

liliq wrote: »
    Against PayPal rules as its considered gambling.
    A lot of friends and family payments of the same amount to 1 account gets flagged and the account gets suspended.
    Otherwise people buying tickets can cover PayPal fees but I'm not sure if that might get flagged in the same way.
    We had massive issues (or I should say one user did) in the Cycling forum when a guy did our last jersey order. They forced him to open a business account then withheld part of the payment to the supplier as they did not believe what the Boards user was telling them (despite him linking them the thread with all the orders in). He had all sorts of hassle sorting it out with Paypal at one stage threatening to simply close his account

On the wider "legal" point, what I was getting at is I believe you need a licence or permit to run a raffle in Ireland. I don't know how easy it would be to get something like that, particularly as it's not a registered charity.

Ah well was worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Prodgey

Paypal are absolute pricks. Best bet is bank transfer.

How about another service for payments? Such as Stripe?

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but would it be possible to setup a text line? Say text "SSF2013" to a certain number to donate €5? Would make donating very easy. I have no idea on how hard it is to do this though.

I was in Tallaght hospital today with the wife's niece and I seen the Bumbleance parked outside. It looks awesome. I so wanted to have a look inside but felt that might have been a bit insensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Beasty wrote: »
    We had massive issues (or I should say one user did) in the Cycling forum when a guy did our last jersey order. They forced him to open a business account then withheld part of the payment to the supplier as they did not believe what the Boards user was telling them (despite him linking them the thread with all the orders in). He had all sorts of hassle sorting it out with Paypal at one stage threatening to simply close his account

On the wider "legal" point, what I was getting at is I believe you need a licence or permit to run a raffle in Ireland. I don't know how easy it would be to get something like that, particularly as it's not a registered charity.

I had to get a license recently for a charity, didn't know what I was at but the district office & most of the guards etc were really helpful in letting me know what I needed.
    If the funds were going to go to registered charities, it might not be an issue.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

liliq wrote: »
    I had to get a license recently for a charity, didn't know what I was at but the district office & most of the guards etc were really helpful in letting me know what I needed.
    If the funds were going to go to registered charities, it might not be an issue.

I heard the application process for becoming a registered charity can take a while, wont get done by Christmas anyway I'd imagine.

I think the texting thing is a good idea as not everyone will be bothered to do a paypal payment.

• Advertisement

Mr. G wrote: »
    I heard the application process for becoming a registered charity can take a while, wont get done by Christmas anyway I'd imagine.

I think the texting thing is a good idea as not everyone will be bothered to do a paypal payment.

http://www.idonate.ie/sms-donations.html
    Again no link personally to above. Heard about them from a charity in Kildare.

Advertisement