Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSF 2013 ROUND UP!! **Please post ideas for this year here!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Prodgey

Not the most original ever, but we could get the boardsies to collect all their old phones together, and then have a few people in charge of selling them online, all proceeds going to SSF. I would have no problem being one of the sellers, I've almost 150 feedback on adverts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

That's the easiest way to be fair. Doesn't mean we can't have some fun along the way though.

Ah jaysis yeah I totally agree.

Tis all about the kids.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Prodgey wrote: »
    Not the most original ever, but we could get the boardsies to collect all their old phones together, and then have a few people in charge of selling them online, all proceeds going to SSF. I would have no problem being one of the sellers, I've almost 150 feedback on adverts.ie
    We've had a few "charity auctions" in the Cycling forum and have found them a great way to raise funds and allow members to offload stuff they have lying around. Not sure if there's enough time to make much of an impact this year, but maybe something to think about next year - can we perhaps join up with Adverts.ie to see if we can get something to work over there, allowing Boardsies to donate gear that others can pick up in return for donations to SSF (might even help build up Adverts.ie's customer base;))?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Ah jaysis yeah I totally agree.

Tis all about the kids.

We need a catch though, something to make it interesting. The naked mod thing was a bit of craic and we've done it now. Time for something new.

I would love to see the likes of Thomond park/RDS/Aviva donate a corporate box for a rabo 12 game or similar. It would then be raffled off. Good Advertising for the stadium and a few Boardsies get a good day out.

Anyone with contacts in any of the above, let me know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

DeVore wrote: »
    T-shirts are horrible money makers. You make maybe 1 euro or 2 from them and the company that produces them charges the person like 15 or 20.

You would be better off buying the Boards Photobook when it comes out and at least you get a fabulous hard back book of nearly 100 photos from the best photographers in Ireland. Honestly, I have all of them and the standard is totally ridiculous. 35 euro and a fiver goes to the charity.

But...but...but... I was looking forward to a new t-shirt this year :(
    My last years one is worn out.

Maybe some nice Boardsie knows someone who wouldn't take such a markup?

I don't remember how much they were last year but they weren't 20 euro...were they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Games clear out.

Check what games you haven't touched in a while. Post up in a thread. Buyer donates online to SFF. PMs the donor the details of having paid. Donor posts the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It might be an idea to sell a new t-shirt in the Spring once the main SSF Fundraiser has taken place (If you want to keep December clear for something where people pledge or donate money, rather than taking a cut from a sale)

I know there was €1 per shirt raised last year - I'm sure that could be increased by a euro or two by charging a higher price. I don't think it would impact on sales too much. I thought last year's one was very good quality.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056824537

It might generate a nice 'top-up' for the fund, and it could leave time for a design competition, vote etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I know the lads over in some of the betting forums did some charity accumulators for SSF in the past, could be a runner maybe?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mod slaves - sell your "services" for a day to the highest bidder...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

We need a catch though, something to make it interesting. The naked mod thing was a bit of craic and we've done it now. Time for something new.

I would love to see the likes of Thomond park/RDS/Aviva donate a corporate box for a rabo 12 game or similar. It would then be raffled off. Good Advertising for the stadium and a few Boardsies get a good day out.

Anyone with contacts in any of the above, let me know ;)

IRFU might be a great one to approach for something like that.
    Or a company might donate use of their corporate box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

El Guapo! should auction off his spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Sauve wrote: »
    El Guapo! should auction off his spoon.

Say the word, and it shall be done. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Could do something running related, trackable if you have a GPS watch to see how the individual is getting on. Run x miles in one day or week. Every donation 3 euro or more=1 mile, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

This thread is hard work, i can't see half of the posts as it seems most of the people on my ignore list have converged at once :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

MadsL wrote: »
    Games clear out.

Check what games you haven't touched in a while. Post up in a thread. Buyer donates online to SFF. PMs the donor the details of having paid. Donor posts the game.

You could expand that to include Books, DVDs CDs etc

Sell your Stuff for the SSF - something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭The Dom

Skid X wrote: »
    Sell your Stuff for the SSF - something like that.

Yeah, an SSF Jumble Sale sounds good.

If Adverts could just add an SSF section to their drop down menu, then people could just throw up what ever they were willing to let go of in the name of charity.

If people were anyway nervous about giving a fellow Boardsie their address for postage, they could always use Parcel Motel, it's only €3.50 per stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

T-shirts are horrible money makers. You make maybe 1 euro or 2 from them and the company that produces them charges the person like 15 or 20.

You would be better off buying the Boards Photobook when it comes out and at least you get a fabulous hard back book of nearly 100 photos from the best photographers in Ireland. Honestly, I have all of them and the standard is totally ridiculous. 35 euro and a fiver goes to the charity.
    I hate to be that guy, but they weren't the worst. €10 per tee, €1 to SSF. That's 10%. The percentage on the photobook is 14.3% approx. so there's not a world of difference.

The Christmas Comedy Carnival is my fav money raiser though, always a great fun night, and a chance to win a transforming Postman Pat. What's not to love?

I did suggest getting a tattoo on me arse but no one seemed to like that idea.

I definitely think we should auction off El Guapo's spoon. He could throw in a good spooning and funds would be through the roof :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I definitely think we should auction off El Guapo's spoon. He could throw in a good spooning and funds would be through the roof :D

I'd sponsor a certain mod on here to lick red sauce off a knife :pac:

danniemcq wrote: »
    I'd sponsor a certain mod on here to lick red sauce off a knife :pac:

I just pukes in mouth a little :(

• Advertisement

Is this an actual possibility? Something like the person to donate the most to this gets to decide what the tattoo design itself will be! Or else has to pick between ones on offer, in case you don't want a swastika or something tattooed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He wasnt referring to you directly I think ... I wouldnt want anyone put "on the spot"... thats not in the spirit of things or how it should be done. :)
    Beasty wrote: »
    I know he wasn't ...;)

(was he?:o)

:D

No, I wasnt. :o

I was merely acknowledging his contribution last year, it was an unbelievable gesture of good will and charity.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I hate to be that guy, but they weren't the worst. €10 per tee, €1 to SSF. That's 10%. The percentage on the photobook is 14.3% approx. so there's not a world of difference.

The Christmas Comedy Carnival is my fav money raiser though, always a great fun night, and a chance to win a transforming Postman Pat. What's not to love?

We've actually pushed the Photobook % up closer to 20%, plus we run events around the book, helping to raise much more. But ya - books on their own are limited in their reach - because it's really just the people who submit an image buy them!

Is this an actual possibility? Something like the person to donate the most to this gets to decide what the tattoo design itself will be! Or else has to pick between ones on offer, in case you don't want a swastika or something tattooed there.

Possibly.....if it raised enough cash I would do it. It would need to raise a fair few bob though.

I wouldn't have it as a free for all either, I'd have to think about it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Cork_girl wrote: »
    We've actually pushed the Photobook % up closer to 20%, plus we run events around the book, helping to raise much more. But ya - books on their own are limited in their reach - because it's really just the people who submit an image buy them!
    Only reason I've not got one yet is simple limited space for book storage. :(
    Probably just be doing some direct donations and the Christmas Carnival stuff this year! :)
    Possibly.....if it raised enough cash I would do it. It would need to raise a fair few bob though.

I wouldn't have it as a free for all either, I'd have to think about it a bit.

Your Christmassy avatar, left cheek :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I like boardsies got talent. or boardsie bake off :p

Or we could do some carol singing or something

Or a sporty run 5km one from the mods in question.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I like boardsies got talent. or boardsie bake off :p

Or we could do some carol singing or something

Or a sporty run 5km one from the mods in question.

24+ hour gaming session,

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_&_Teller's_Smoke_and_Mirrors#Desert_Bus as used here

24+ hour gaming session,

That would be excellent! There were a few gaming cafes in Galway that did overnight sessions, which I never got the chance to attend, unfortunately.

That would be excellent! There were a few gaming cafes in Galway that did overnight sessions, which I never got the chance to attend, unfortunately.

Yeah i know i used to work in one!

hmmm a SSF LAN but probably not enough time to set up one this year but a desert bus type event could work better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

They could raffle off the cakes if it were a bake off though. Then we could eat the cakes. Just sayin'
    :cool:
    Incrementing donation targets for more complicated cakes :D

Advertisement