Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone watch the DB Cooper documentary on Monday evening? I've always found the story fascinating and I liked the way this programme dealt with it. I particularly liked hearing the personal accounts from those on the plane. It made me realise I never took into account the pain the crew went through that night since I was so fixated on trying to figure out what happened. It was a pretty traumatic experience despite the daring nature of it. And not to mention the chap on the plane that still gets people writing to him fifty years later asking him if he recognises these pictures of old men as possibly being Cooper. Such a crazy event.

On what happened, I can't help but feel the simplest explanation is similar to what happened those guys that escaped Alcatraz: death in the attempt, perhaps also in water. But who knows. If only the Feds hadn't lost the evidence at the scene that could have solved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Travis on BBC4, loved them back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭cozar

Gave up on Valhalla. Standard fare. Seen it all before too many times. Not on BBC 4 but watching Mr. Inbetween on Fox it’s brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

cozar wrote: »
    Gave up on Valhalla. Standard fare. Seen it all before too many times. Not on BBC 4 but watching Mr. Inbetween on Fox it’s brilliant.

I'm really enjoying it, I know it's a bit similar to others, but it well written and acted.

loved this. pity that there is so little of it and the episodes are short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

patmac wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying it, I know it's a bit similar to others, but it well written and acted.

It's definitely like something I've seen before, plot seems very familiar but thought it picked up after last night's episodes so will keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Eod100 wrote: »
    It's definitely like something I've seen before, plot seems very familiar but thought it picked up after last night's episodes so will keep going.

Abuse of boys while in a correction home. Now where did I see that before ? Interesting to see Ireland doesn't have a monopoly on this.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone watch the DB Cooper documentary on Monday evening? I've always found the story fascinating and I liked the way this programme dealt with it. I particularly liked hearing the personal accounts from those on the plane. It made me realise I never took into account the pain the crew went through that night since I was so fixated on trying to figure out what happened. It was a pretty traumatic experience despite the daring nature of it. And not to mention the chap on the plane that still gets people writing to him fifty years later asking him if he recognises these pictures of old men as possibly being Cooper. Such a crazy event.

On what happened, I can't help but feel the simplest explanation is similar to what happened those guys that escaped Alcatraz: death in the attempt, perhaps also in water. But who knows. If only the Feds hadn't lost the evidence at the scene that could have solved it.

That so many disparate people were certain of Coopers ID was proof he died! It's amazing what people can convince themselves of and find/interpret evidence to strengthen that belief. There's a good short form drama to be made of this. The 1981/2 film was basic fare.

The following year there were about 12 copycat skyjackings in the USA. A cultural phenomena for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

BBC Four has bagged the rights to Man in Room 301.

The series is the first Finnish-language drama acquisition for the channel. The six-part series has just been nominated for four Golden Venla Awards in Finland for Best Drama, Best Director, Best Actress and Best Actor.

Produced by Warner Bros. International Television Production Finland and Wall to Wall Media, the psychological thriller is written by the UK’s award-winning Kate Ashfield (Born To Kill, Shaun Of The Dead) and directed by Finland’s Mikko Kuparinen for Elisa Viihde.

Shot in Finnish, Man In Room 301 weaves between the past and present to tell the story of the Kurtti family, whose lives are irrevocably changed when two year-old Tommi is killed by a gunshot. Whilst on their family holiday in Greece 12 years later, they come across a man that looks just like the boy’s alleged killer. Gripping, fast-paced and tense, the series keeps the audience on edge until the final reveal.

Sue Deeks, Head of Programme Acquisition, BBC, says: “We are delighted that Man In Room 301 is our very first series from Finland. It is a tense psychological drama set between Finland and Greece that will keep BBC viewers intrigued and engrossed to the very end.”

https://vodzilla.co/blog/vod-news/man-in-room-301-bbc-acquires-finnish-language-drama/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Discovered I had a record fail on DNA and have lost two episodes, does anyone know if it's repeated anywhere?
    BBC Player cant be used here.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭BandMember

Bredabe wrote: »
    BBC Player cant be used here.

Oh yes it can.....

You should give your mates Victor Paul and Noel a shout, they'd be happy to help you out. ;)

BandMember wrote: »
    Oh yes it can.....

You should give your mates Victor Paul and Noel a shout, they'd be happy to help you out. ;)

I did some research on those and they are more money than I want to spend in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭BandMember

I did some research on those and they are more money than I want to spend in this instance.

Mine costs €2.50 a month, don't think that's a lot of money?? :confused: Don't go near the free ones, they're a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭brian_t

Spiral? I spend too much time wondering when this is coming back!

Saturday 2nd January at 9pm with a double-bill and repeated on Tuesdays.

brian_t wrote: »
    Saturday 2nd January at 9pm with a double-bill and repeated on Tuesdays.

Hadn't seen that, that's great news! Is that the last series yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Eod100 wrote: »
    Hadn't seen that, that's great news! Is that the last series yeah?

Yup. Last chance for Laure and Gilou to cop da fuk on and Josephine to defrost her heart. Cannot wait to see the giant pile of merde they manage to make of things this one last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭cozar

Can’t wait great news.

Can someone catch me up on this part of The Valhalla Murders, please?
    Kata's son was in the station to be interviewed/give a statement about the rape or the video,
    Next, I see he's at Kata's bedside.
    What happened in between?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭brian_t

I only just realised that they cancelled the Tuesday night repeat of The Valhalla Murders in order to repeat The Night Manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

Kata's son was in the station to be interviewed/give a statement about the rape or the video,
    I don't recall him being at the station, anyway I think it was the mere fact that he realised she could have died hence him being at her bedside in hospital

• Advertisement

The_Dave wrote: »
    I don't recall him being at the station, anyway I think it was the mere fact that he realized she could have died hence him being at her bedside in hospital

It was mentioned in a phone call between Kata and her friend in the station before she went to the power plant.
    They had a conversation in the hospital about how mad he was at her for thinking he was involved.
    But I don't know how we got from her hiding his hoody to him being mad at her

The_Dave wrote: »
    I don't recall him being at the station, anyway I think it was the mere fact that he realised she could have died hence him being at her bedside in hospital

I'm not sure if it was off camera but think it was mentioned anyway by Kata at one stage. That whole thing was a bit of a mess and seemed to rush it/not follow up on it properly. Not sure why it was included at all tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

He
    was interviewed about the party and then left Kata's house to live with his Dad as he was disgusted that his mother wasn't sure whether he was implicated in the rape/video. I suppose when Kata was attacked he realised that life is too short to hear grudges and
    came to see her at the hospital.

with spolier tags please everyone

wonderful news

Detectorists could be set to return after creator Mackenzie Crook gave the strongest indication yet that he wants to revive the BBC Four comedy.

The writer, director and star of the metal-detecting sitcom, which finished after three series in 2017, has previously hinted that he was open to the idea of revisiting the cult show. Co-starring Toby Jones, Rachael Stirling and Lucy Benjamin, it revolves around the lives of detectorists in northern Essex.

Appearing on Zoe Ball's Radio 2 breakfast show to promote the Christmas Eve return of his BBC One Worzel Gummidge adaptation, he confirmed that "it's true, I am kind of thinking of it but I don't have any idea at the moment.

"I'm just starting the process of thinking 'yeah, we should get the old band back together'. One last time!"

Debuting in 2014, Detectorists attracted instant critical acclaim and won two BAFTA Awards, as well as the Rose d'Or for sitcom in 2018. The show was produced by Adam Tandy for Channel X and Lola Entertainment.

Series 3 ended with Andy (Crook) and Lance (Jones) seemingly finding both their literal and allegorical gold.

Unfortunately, cast member Diana Rigg, who played Veronica, Andy's mother-in-law, died in September of this year.

Crook is currently filming the third series of Sky Atlantic's historical-fantasy drama Britannia, and is expected to film a full series of Worzel Gummidge next summer. Jones has a number of film roles lined up, with uncertainty now hanging over when a second series of his own BBC comedy, Don't Forget The Driver, can begin production.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/6139/detectorists-revival/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It wasn't BBC Four, but I did enjoy Don't Forget The Driver and hope it does come back. Just never got into Detectorists I'm afraid.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

46 hours to Spiral.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Spiral starts tonight... two episodes each Sat night and final season. So remember to record both!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I can't wait....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Garlinge wrote: »
    Spiral starts tonight... two episodes each Sat night and final season. So remember to record both!

I am halfway through series 4 so will be recording these to watch in a few weeks once I have caught up!

Advertisement