Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cozar wrote: »
    The ending of DNA a little bit sad.
    Yes, but predictable after Rolf seeing how Minna's reunion with her birth mother went.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭corks finest

If anyone wants to catch up with The Bridge 4 its starting on BBC4 tonight late-ish, 10.45pm I think, they have two TOTP's before it but actually I believe those are expected to be the last two of DNA. Maybe they forgot to change the guide.

One of the best I’ve seen along with Wallander ( Swedish version)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, but predictable after Rolf seeing how Minna's reunion with her birth mother went.

Yes no Netflix happy ending here. Although what about his Ex. Surely she gets a say too.

Also the polish girl, going to get help from what looked like another institution. Last place I thought she wud go.

Good show over all with intertwined plot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Seamai wrote: »
    I thought so too, while there are no winners in a situation like that the call wasn't his alone, his ex wife surely has a right to know and have a say in the matter.

And not sure police would ignore a kidnapping just like that. Good series but bit let down by ending I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Eod100 wrote: »
    And not sure police would ignore a kidnapping just like that. Good series but bit let down by ending I thought.
    I agree, especially the French detective who seemed like a real stickler for the rules.

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »
    Fans of the Icelandic show ' trapped' it's been signed up by Netflix for season 3

watched season 1 and it was decent (a bit hyped).

is season 2 as bad as they say or worth watching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

The Swedish Wallander is streets ahead of the British version. We've just finished S3 of The Bridge, I'd almost forgotten just how good it was and definitely holds up to a second viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

glasso wrote: »
    watched season 1 and it was decent (a bit hyped).

is season 2 as bad as they say or worth watching?

Season 2 was a struggle for me. I found his daughter annoying on it. There's an ongoing storyline of her being rebellious which I thought got OTT at times. There's a very sad moment in the second season which does hit hard. I'd give the third season a go. Hope it's a bit less bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

If it's season 4 why have I seen it before. ?:confused: I'm talking about the new series going out on BBC4. The continuity is preserved - they mention Martin the Danish detective in Jail from the last series. Help !

recipio wrote: »
    If it's season 4 why have I seen it before. ?:confused: I'm talking about the new series going out on BBC4. The continuity is preserved - they mention Martin the Danish detective in Jail from the last series. Help !

season 4 of the Bridge came out in Jan / Feb 2018

that was the final series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭brian_t

recipio wrote: »

This is the first time that The Bridge season 4 has aired on BBC4. It was first shown on BBC2.

All previous seasons 1-3 premiered on BBC4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

brian_t wrote: »
    "Abigail's Party" was shown twice in 2007

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074n6r

"Country" doesn't seem to been on BBC since 1981

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ngby

There are more coming, "A Hole in Babylon" (previously aired 1979) is on next Tuesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0424x3z

Play by Jim Hawkins and Horace Ove based on the events surrounding the ‘Spaghetti House’ siege, an armed robbery that went disastrously wrong.

Anyone know how long this season is running for? Really enjoying it so far. The Black Stuff (forerunner to Boys From The Blackstuff) was shown last night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭brian_t

Anyone know how long this season is running for? Really enjoying it so far. The Black Stuff (forerunner to Boys From The Blackstuff) was shown last night

I don't know.

I enjoyed watching The Black Stuff. I remember watching the series but I'm not sure I've seen the original play before.

There is no play on next week but on Tuesday 1st December they are showing "The Falklands Play".
    It was originally commissioned by the BBC in 1983, for production and broadcast in 1986, but was subsequently shelved by Controller of BBC One Michael Grade due to its pro-Margaret Thatcher stance and alleged jingoistic tone. This prompted a press furore over media bias and censorship. The play was not staged until 2002, when it was broadcast in separate adaptations on BBC Television and Radio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Falklands_Play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This Thursday film slot is a complete swizz, it's just the BBC Two Sunday afternoon film repeat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Is it just me or did the Trainspotting movie borrow more than a few cues from the gang in The Black Stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Is it just me or did the Trainspotting movie borrow more than a few cues from the gang in The Black Stuff?

Begby is certainly a nod to Yosser down to the tash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Big time, the whole ne'er-do-well ethos of the gang too. Some of the patter between them reminded me of Reservoir Dogs too

Big time, the whole ne'er-do-well ethos of the gang too. Some of the patter between them reminded me of Reservoir Dogs too

That was like parts ofI reland in the 70s and early 80s especially in the n of Ireland and Cork city, I’m nearly 61 and for anyone younger it’s probably hard to believe but Ireland was a grey and grim place then ,no work and those in it like me at the time were mostly paid cash in hand and signing on, and in between jobs fecked off to Germany England etc to earn a few bob, our class in 77 numbered 36/7 ;;;;; 33 emigrated, most never came home

I slightly knew a fella (friend of a friend) on the sites in London in the mid 80s, a brickie. He came back with rolls of 10s every few weeks, dunno if he was signing on as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I slightly knew a fella (friend of a friend) on the sites in London in the mid 80s, a brickie. He came back with rolls of 10s every few weeks, dunno if he was signing on as well!

I read somewhere the guys working on the sites would often be paid in cheques.
    They'd have no bank account.
    But the pubs around Camden Town would cash them for them with a 5% - 10% fee... so the guys would descend on Camden Town on a friday evening to their pubs \ bank to get their wages. And promptly spend a lot of it!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

well in al fairness every psycho back then was rocking the tache

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I read somewhere the guys working on the sites would often be paid in cheques.
    They'd have no bank account.
    But the pubs around Camden Town would cash them for them with a 5% - 10% fee... so the guys would descend on Camden Town on a friday evening to their pubs \ bank to get their wages. And promptly spend a lot of it!

200 percent true, I lived behind the crown in cricklewood also in Kilburn, it wasn’t the English subbie who used fo it , ( dodgy cheques etc)but normally a west of Ireland prick who thought nothing atall of tipping off his own country men, but tbh pubs in Cork used take a percentage also , not 10 or 20 but a fiver or so, and of course you’d buy a few pints whilst waiting for the bobs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

All true I was offered a job in the mid 80’s in demolition first thing I was told to do was sign on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭BandMember

Some great posts there about how things used to be (for want of a better phrase) on the sites and in general. Would there be anything to be said for someone opening what could be a quite brilliant, funny yet heartbreaking thread?

My vote goes to corks finest to get the ball rolling! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭cozar

Looking forward to Valhalla Murders tonight. Trailer looks good.

A bit of me goes "not another bunch of gloomy cops tramping through snow" when I see these cropping up. I'll give this one a go as I liked Trapped a lot.

IMDB reviews suggest it's a slow burn with the real action and quality of writing only turning up in the final double bill (as we see it on BBC Four)

When are those loveable sleazebags in Paris coming back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭cozar

A bit of me goes "not another bunch of gloomy cops tramping through snow" when I see these cropping up. I'll give this one a go as I liked Trapped a lot.

IMDB reviews suggest it's a slow burn with the real action and quality of writing only turning up in the final double bill (as we see it on BBC Four)

When are those loveable sleazebags in Paris coming back?

Spiral? I spend too much time wondering when this is coming back!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Re: Valhalla Murders, could I politely ask for use of spoiler tags discussing plot points?
    I rather binge these series in one weekend once I have all episodes than watch week on week.
    Cheers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

cozar wrote: »
    Spiral? I spend too much time wondering when this is coming back!

Et moi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Stewball

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Re: Valhalla Murders, could I politely ask for use of spoiler tags discussing plot points?
    I rather binge these series in one weekend once I have all episodes than watch week on week.
    Cheers.

Or better yet - start a new thread for the show and discuss it in there.

Advertisement