Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Hopefully, he will. He is a great character and Sean McGinley plays him excellently. Nidge still works for Tony and the CIRA of course.

Hopefully, Lizzie will be in it as well.

The problem with this thread is people talk it up and have big expectations. As much as I have an appreciation for season 4, it was quite a let down in many ways. Perhaps we should all abstain fron this thread until something worth discussing comes out.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

This is only my opinion but I reckon Love/Hate will show definite signs of fatigue this coming series. It happens to all shows which have been extended beyond their natural life cycle. Lost, 24, Homeland etc all suffered/suffer from this.

I reckon Stewart Carolan had a specific number of episodes in mind when he first sat down to write this, with a definite idea of character progression etc. Now that RTE have come knocking on his door looking for more, he's obviously not going to turn them down but the quality will almost definitely suffer. It's inevitable.

This is only my opinion but I reckon Love/Hate will show definite signs of fatigue this coming series. It happens to all shows which have been extended beyond their natural life cycle. Lost, 24, Homeland etc all suffered/suffer from this.

I reckon Stewart Carolan had a specific number of episodes in mind when he first sat down to write this, with a definite idea of character progression etc. Now that RTE have come knocking on his door looking for more, he's obviously not going to turn them down but the quality will almost definitely suffer. It's inevitable.

Its a strong possibility. He might be better to quit while he is ahead after this series although money talks at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Another thing I predict is there will be a challenge to Nidge's authority this season. Looking at who it could be:

Fran: Fran is the obvious choice and he is defacto 2nd in command since season 3. He was shown as clever and resourceful and well able to handle tricky situations thus winning Nidge's approval. Series 3 showed him as a very loyal friend to Nidge but season 4 saw that friendship crumble although not completely. Season 5 may or may not see them fall out. A lot of secrets exist not least Nidge being the pipebomb thrower that maimed Fran's wife and he also had an affair with Fran's wife! Fran seems down in the dumps from the promo and may be distracted by feelings of guilt and perhaps turns to alcohol more and more. This may hinder Fran's advance to the top.

Elmo: In the last episodes of season 4, Elmo became the preferred sidekick of Nidge effectively replacing Fran. Elmo's relations with the gang have not been easy: conveniently framed for the murder of Git, having a death threat over his head and seeing his cousin murdered. He worked and works alongside people involved in all of this either directly or indirectly. He could be the sneaky type who tries to take over.

Ado: often dismissed as just a junky, Ado has been a survivor. Last time around, we saw him (as with Darren before him) contemplate a life outside drugs and settle down with his girlfriend and child but hears his girlfriend has had an abortion. This is que for him to remain in drug dealer land I would say. Ado has largely remained apolitical and goes along with whoever is in charge to suit his own needs. Doubtful if he would challenge Nidge on his own but he could team up with Elmo.

Tommy: It all depends on how well he is. If he remembers about Nidge or if Siobhan tells him and if he is well, Tommy could challenge Nidge's authority and team up with others like Fran or Elmo.

Younger players: Last year, we were introduced to younger players like Wayne and Guinea. What we saw them as last time was guns for hire by drug dealers or the IRA. Last time we saw Guinea, he had Wayne gladly shot obo a paranoid Nidge (this was also personal revenge for Guinea as Wayne was laughing at him earlier when he fell off of a bike and Guinea was not pleased). Now, Guinea or someone like him could rise up to claim their own patch too.

Either way, I predict we will see at least one attempt on Nidge's authority and that it will end badly for whoever it is.

Another thing I predict is there will be a challenge to Nidge's authority this season. Looking at who it could be:

Fran: Fran is the obvious choice and he is defacto 2nd in command since season 3. He was shown as clever and resourceful and well able to handle tricky situations thus winning Nidge's approval. Series 3 showed him as a very loyal friend to Nidge but season 4 saw that friendship crumble although not completely. Season 5 may or may not see them fall out. A lot of secrets exist not least Nidge being the pipebomb thrower that maimed Fran's wife and he also had an affair with Fran's wife! Fran seems down in the dumps from the promo and may be distracted by feelings of guilt and perhaps turns to alcohol more and more. This may hinder Fran's advance to the top.

Elmo: In the last episodes of season 4, Elmo became the preferred sidekick of Nidge effectively replacing Fran. Elmo's relations with the gang have not been easy: conveniently framed for the murder of Git, having a death threat over his head and seeing his cousin murdered. He worked and works alongside people involved in all of this either directly or indirectly. He could be the sneaky type who tries to take over.

Ado: often dismissed as just a junky, Ado has been a survivor. Last time around, we saw him (as with Darren before him) contemplate a life outside drugs and settle down with his girlfriend and child but hears his girlfriend has had an abortion. This is que for him to remain in drug dealer land I would say. Ado has largely remained apolitical and goes along with whoever is in charge to suit his own needs. Doubtful if he would challenge Nidge on his own but he could team up with Elmo.

Tommy: It all depends on how well he is. If he remembers about Nidge or if Siobhan tells him and if he is well, Tommy could challenge Nidge's authority and team up with others like Fran or Elmo.

Younger players: Last year, we were introduced to younger players like Wayne and Guinea. What we saw them as last time was guns for hire by drug dealers or the IRA. Last time we saw Guinea, he had Wayne gladly shot obo a paranoid Nidge (this was also personal revenge for Guinea as Wayne was laughing at him earlier when he fell off of a bike and Guinea was not pleased). Now, Guinea or someone like him could rise up to claim their own patch too.

Either way, I predict we will see at least one attempt on Nidge's authority and that it will end badly for whoever it is.

Elmo would have the bouldness to challenge Nidge but like Aido he certainly wouldnt have the brains. The RIRA and 'Mr Kinahan' out in Spain are the real threats to Nidge's crown. It seems Kinahan will send over a volatle henchman who loves 'hunting other scum for sport' judging by the promo ad.
    Fran is also a huge threat however i think Deano and Carlo could prove useful ally's to Nidge in the new series and i also think Frano will hit a vulnerable patch.

Nidge is seemingly able to weasel out of every tricky scenario but judging by him pissing on the cops milk last season i think he may be starting to get really really cocky and complacent.

And the gardai will really be out to pin him now after he escaped by the skin of his teeth.

Alot hanging in the air.

• Advertisement

Elmo would have the bouldness to challenge Nidge but like Aido he certainly wouldnt have the brains. The RIRA and 'Mr Kinahan' out in Spain are the real threats to Nidge's crown. It seems Kinahan will send over a volatle henchman who loves 'hunting other scum for sport' judging by the promo ad.
    Fran is also a huge threat however i think Deano and Carlo could prove useful ally's to Nidge in the new series and i also think Frano will hit a vulnerable patch.

Nidge is seemingly able to weasel out of every tricky scenario but judging by him pissing on the cops milk last season i think he may be starting to get really really cocky and complacent.

And the gardai will really be out to pin him now after he escaped by the skin of his teeth.

Alot hanging in the air.

The drug dealer based in Spain and his henchman will be the most dangerous enemy Nidge has.

I think with Nidge V Fran that the two will clash but I'd say that the two characters will survive the season (they are the two most popular characters) and some compromise will happen: perhaps, Nidge and Fran save each other from a common enemy? Carlo seems reluctant to get involved with Fran and we must remember Fran's glassing of him at the end of season 2. Deano also was on the receiving end of Fran's erratic behaviour in season 4 when Fran hit him mistaking him as someone else when drunk. So, Nidge could indeed have 2 close allies here.

It is hard to know what will become of the IRA storyline. This henchman Paulie will be the bain of Nidge's life and perhaps Nidge could set up another meeting with Tony to have the IRA deal with Paulie and his boss in return for more of Nidge's proceeds and skills.

The drug dealer based in Spain and his henchman will be the most dangerous enemy Nidge has.

I think with Nidge V Fran that the two will clash but I'd say that the two characters will survive the season (they are the two most popular characters) and some compromise will happen: perhaps, Nidge and Fran save each other from a common enemy? Carlo seems reluctant to get involved with Fran and we must remember Fran's glassing of him at the end of season 2. Deano also was on the receiving end of Fran's erratic behaviour in season 4 when Fran hit him mistaking him as someone else when drunk. So, Nidge could indeed have 2 close allies here.

It is hard to know what will become of the IRA storyline. This henchman Paulie will be the bain of Nidge's life and perhaps Nidge could set up another meeting with Tony to have the IRA deal with Paulie and his boss in return for more of Nidge's proceeds and skills.

Deano and Carlo are just two goons there to give Fran a bit of a hand. If it goes the way of these two having a kind of prominence, it will indeed be a farce IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Sorry but I'm a little bit confused. Have we actually seen any of these big Spanish dudes yet? Or their involvement? Were they the shipper overs of the deal that went wrong?

deise08 wrote: »
    Sorry but I'm a little bit confused. Have we actually seen any of these big Spanish dudes yet? Or their involvement? Were they the shipper overs of the deal that went wrong?

I think they give Nidge a dig out to help him get back on his feet after that deal going tits up but it comes with a bit of a price (Paulie).

'Kinahan' as I like to refer to him as, was telling Nidge in the ad 'There is always rats (in the ranks)'. Obviously a far more experienced gangster than Nidgey. Paulie is then seen telling a worried looking Nidge 'Ill hunt them down for sport'. Not sure who he is referring to.

I think they give Nidge a dig out to help him get back on his feet after that deal going tits up but it comes with a bit of a price (Paulie).

'Kinahan' as I like to refer to him as, was telling Nidge in the ad 'There is always rats (in the ranks)'. Obviously a far more experienced gangster than Nidgey. Paulie is then seen telling a worried looking Nidge 'Ill hunt them down for sport'. Not sure who he is referring to.

In fairness it doesn't show who yer man Paulie is talking to in the clip.

• Advertisement

lufties wrote: »
    In fairness it doesn't show who yer man Paulie is talking to in the clip.

I thought it looked like he was talking to Nidge no? Ill watch it again and see

I thought it looked like he was talking to Nidge no? Ill watch it again and see

I just watched it and its not clear who he spoke to but your prob right.

I think this is a decision Nidge will come to regret. 'Kinahan' and Paulie will effectively replace Dano's season 3 and 4 role as main threat to Nidge and initial good relations will become very very poor by the end I predict. I feel season 5 will resemble season 3 very much complete with the extreme violence we have seen in that season.

As per usual, Nidge will have to probably sacrifice a member of his gang hence this talk about 'rats'. There's an obvious choice here! Nidge's ultimate aim is to get these guys off his back and we must remember he still owes to IRA: as already said, Nidge knows Tony and Tony is happy with Nidge's little arrangement thus far. Tony once again could be Nidge's get out clause with regard to a troubleshome enemy: chances are, 'Kinahan' and Paulie could be common enemies of Nidge and the IRA as the series progresses.

I'd say many of the series 2, 3 and 4 storylines will be tied up in the initial episodes. Tommy's fate especially. Also, I'd say some of the minor season 4 characters will run into trouble early on: Paddy Pipebomb, Keith Duffy's gym character (who will be the equivalent of Andrew the dentist for Nidge?), the security guard and Guinea. The Nidge v Fran issues though will remain throughout and both will undergo forgive the pun a love/hate relationship throughout the series and I feel both will save each other in the end from some common enemy and cancel out other issues because I believe both characters are going to be kept. Perhaps, Fran never learns the truth about Linda this season?

Nidge or someone is in prison briefly as well from what I heard?

The problem with this thread is people talk it up and have big expectations. As much as I have an appreciation for season 4, it was quite a let down in many ways. Perhaps we should all abstain fron this thread until something worth discussing comes out.:cool:

I am a big fan of season 4 (in fact, it would be my second favourite season). Of course, it comes directly after what is my (and many's) favourite season: season 3.

Season 3 was perfect: seasons 1 and 2 were excellent but season 3 took things to a whole new level. There was violence, suspense, and lots of twists and turns. Darren showed a coldness in his hitman activities not previously shown, Nidge showed paranoia and erratic tendencies (hitting Tommy!) and Git and Dano added to the tension greatly. The finale was easily the best so far: Dano trying to kill Nidge, Nidge meeting Tony, the deal to kill Darren and Darren's shock exit.

Season 4 has been underappreciated imo due to it following this. But season 4 is actually imo second best: it has some excellent action/violence scenes like the Fran v Noelie toilet fight, Lizzie hitting the misfortunate driver (echoes of Nidge and Tommy), Nidge v Paddy Pipebomb and the IRA taking out Dano. There's good tension there too and overall a good season. With regard to its climax: season 4's climax could hardly compare with season 3's for sure. But we tend to forget season 2's climax was rather like season 4's. Not much happened other than John Boy's funeral and the only bit of tension was Luke being lured to his death. Season 2 though was overall excellent but most of the action was covered in its first 5 episodes. The final episode showed a smooth transition of power to Nidge thus ensuring no time was wasted on this at the start of season 3 so season 3 could get off to a blazing start as it did. The season 4 climax was actually much stronger than the season 2 one but again it falls victim to comparison with season 3. But season 4 is a good season if one puts it in context and it is my second favourite.

I think this is a decision Nidge will come to regret. 'Kinahan' and Paulie will effectively replace Dano's season 3 and 4 role as main threat to Nidge and initial good relations will become very very poor by the end I predict. I feel season 5 will resemble season 3 very much complete with the extreme violence we have seen in that season.

As per usual, Nidge will have to probably sacrifice a member of his gang hence this talk about 'rats'. There's an obvious choice here! Nidge's ultimate aim is to get these guys off his back and we must remember he still owes to IRA: as already said, Nidge knows Tony and Tony is happy with Nidge's little arrangement thus far. Tony once again could be Nidge's get out clause with regard to a troubleshome enemy: chances are, 'Kinahan' and Paulie could be common enemies of Nidge and the IRA as the series progresses.

I'd say many of the series 2, 3 and 4 storylines will be tied up in the initial episodes. Tommy's fate especially. Also, I'd say some of the minor season 4 characters will run into trouble early on: Paddy Pipebomb, Keith Duffy's gym character (who will be the equivalent of Andrew the dentist for Nidge?), the security guard and Guinea. The Nidge v Fran issues though will remain throughout and both will undergo forgive the pun a love/hate relationship throughout the series and I feel both will save each other in the end from some common enemy and cancel out other issues because I believe both characters are going to be kept. Perhaps, Fran never learns the truth about Linda this season?

Nidge or someone is in prison briefly as well from what I heard?

I think one of the plot lines for S5 is how nidge and his gang are taken down through the courts. So probably expect more gardai and courtroom 'action'.

I think one of the plot lines for S5 is how nidge and his gang are taken down through the courts. So probably expect more gardai and courtroom 'action'.

Tommy and/or Siobhan will be integral in this part. I'd say that at least one of the gang will be appearing in court. And massive pressure will be put on him not to plead guilty or name names. Nidge may appear in court and be in custody for a while but a lack of evidence/pressure put on others not to confess could mean he gets off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

This is back on 12th October.

kitten_k wrote: »
    This is back on 12th October.

How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Can not wait!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Anyone see any filming taking place this year? There was a thread about it last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Anyone see any filming taking place this year? There was a thread about it last year.

I've seen them filming in parts of Dublin and Spain this year, I can't say where exactly though cuz it's a secret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

How many episodes this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Anybody recognise the girl in the- dancing office guy- Cadbury ad?
    'oh yes, I can boogie.'
    ha ha she doesn't have the accent!
    sorry I can't post link.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Seen them filming at the car showroom/garage on Conyngham Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

How many episodes this year?

Probably 6, I reckon. But I'm not completely sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Probably 6, I reckon. But I'm not completely sure.

It is six.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

Met Stuart Carolan today, along with most of the lads, he said to me there's going to be 6 episodes, he said he would love to do another series and he also said, it's going to carry on from about a week or two after the 4th series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

JamieHP wrote: »
    Met Stuart Carolan today, along with most of the lads, he said to me there's going to be 6 episodes, he said he would love to do another series and he also said, it's going to carry on from about a week or two after the 4th series.

Cool thanks. Do you mean season 5 starts the story a week or two after season 4?

• Advertisement

bazermc wrote: »
    Cool thanks. Do you mean season 5 starts the story a week or two after season 4?

Stuart Carolan and all the Love/Hate team have been saying both series 4 and 5 are very closely related. Season will pick up with Nidge being in custody and poor, Fran fresh from killing the dentist and Tommy either dead or making a full recovery. Nidge obviously needs cash and gets tied up with the guys in Spain. It will be very interesting to see how things go for him here overall.

It is interesting to note how the seasons of Love/Hate correspond with each other timewise. Season 2 was set about a year after season 1. Season 2 had a November 2011 date on the CCTV footage and extended into Christmas and January. Clearly season 3 was set in March so only 2 months after season 2's climax. Season 4 clearly started off at least immediately after season 3 hence Darren's dead body. But obviously moved forward a lot (probably about 4-6 months? The Nidge-Tony deal was still fresh enough) after that hence Tommy's recovery (in season 3, he was in a coma at the end).

Advertisement