Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy movement- remember them??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Godge wrote: »
    Read my post again.

Two articles, one of which is reuters, does not make the group still active.

The are volcanoes dormant for hundreds of years who get more publicity.

They just wrote off 15 m in debt. How is that not active surely doing that required some action!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

20Cent wrote: »
    They just wrote off 15 m in debt. How is that not active surely doing that required some action!

You can cook food on top of some volcanoes, how is that not active?

Look, one initiative, which looks like them spending whatever money they had left on a pointless attempt to get publicity, does not make an active organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

They raised 40,000 dollars to garner attention and help a bank pay off some random medical debt

My local Oxfam is more "active" than Occupy in that regard.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    They raised 40,000 dollars to garner attention and help a bank pay off some random medical debt

My local Oxfam is more "active" than Occupy in that regard.

400, 000 you missed a zero. Your local oxfam has 15 million dollar turnover? Doesn't sound true tbh.

This is an ongoing thing more fundraising and debt writedowns to come.

You can cook food on top of some volcanoes, how is that not active?

Look, one initiative, which looks like them spending whatever money they had left on a pointless attempt to get publicity, does not make an active organisation.

Active seems to mean something different to you. No idea what you mean with the volcano analogy.

• Advertisement

400, 000 you missed a zero.

****.. I thought it was 40k

That's nearly half a million dollars, to make a PR statement about debt. They had no idea who's debt they bought before they actually got it, except that the majority was medical. What kind of message does this send? Don't pay off your debts?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

****.. I thought it was 40k

That's nearly half a million dollars, to make a PR statement about debt. They had no idea who's debt they bought before they actually got it, except that the majority was medical. What kind of message does this send? Don't pay off your debts?
    Also it was random debt so for all they know they could have been paying for some banker's wife's boob job. :)

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Also it was random debt so for all they know they could have been paying for some banker's wife's boob job. :)

Very unlikely since emergency rooms don't do boob jobs, wealthy people tend to have insurance, if they don't think they would not pay and ruin their credit rating?
    Also do banks sell the debts of wealthy people for pennies in the pound? Highly unlikely.

Very unlikely since emergency rooms don't do boob jobs, wealthy people tend to have insurance, if they don't think they would not pay and ruin their credit rating?
    Also do banks sell the debts of wealthy people for pennies in the pound? Highly unlikely.

Sure I've had medical debt because I forgot to pay one bill, then moved house. My debt, my responsibility

I am sure there were some genuine cases in the batch they bought - but I'm also sure they bailed out a few drug users, drug dealers, students, irresponsible people, people who didn't bother to pay to insure themselves.. and of course the non-medical debt they bought up, which could be fraudsters, scams, people maxing out credit cards and so on

They used the whole thing for self gratifying PR and, according to the Guardian article, as some sort of rallying cry against the notion of debt itself - which is dumber than a bag of hammers

Emergency rooms? Where does it say this debt was only for procedures carried out in an emergency room?

• Advertisement

Emergency rooms? Where does it say this debt was only for procedures carried out in an emergency room?

They have published where the debt was bought from its all online.
    Thought you knew all about this?

Sure I've had medical debt because I forgot to pay one bill, then moved house. My debt, my responsibility

I am sure there were some genuine cases in the batch they bought - but I'm also sure they bailed out a few drug users, drug dealers, students, irresponsible people, people who didn't bother to pay to insure themselves.. and of course the non-medical debt they bought up, which could be fraudsters, scams, people maxing out credit cards and so on

They used the whole thing for self gratifying PR and, according to the Guardian article, as some sort of rallying cry against the notion of debt itself - which is dumber than a bag of hammers

15 million written off, I'd say the people involved were pretty happy about it.
    Not exactly inactive doing nothing group are they?
    When buying debt there are limits to how much they could find out about who's debt it was. Only where it came from and the peoples addresses.

You said all the medical debt they purchased was from procedures carried out in an emergency room. How do you know that?

You said all the medical debt they purchased was from procedures carried out in an emergency room. How do you know that?

Its a totally transparent organisation, they published details of everything bought, they even publish the minutes of meetings, its all online. I bothered my arse finding out about it before commenting thats how I know.

Its a totally transparent organisation, they published details of everything bought, they even publish the minutes of meetings, its all online. I bothered my arse finding out about it before commenting thats how I know.
    There's no way they could have these debts weren't cosmetic on anonymous markets. I have a very strong suspicion you've been caught out bull shítting.

15 million written off, I'd say the people involved were pretty happy about it.

Paying off anyone's debts, including banks and corporations would make those people/entities happy

They obviously perceive they've paid off some medical debt from struggling families.. as usual, the reality is, they don't know who's debt they bought. This strongly mirrors the group's misguided notions and general ignorance.
    Not exactly inactive doing nothing group are they?

They are very active in the random PR/attention-seeking department. Achieving results.. not so much.

There's no way they could have these debts weren't cosmetic on anonymous markets. I have a very strong suspicion you've been caught out bull shítting.

Did you have a look at the published information about what was bought?
    Its all on the web if one looks for it.

Paying off anyone's debts, including banks and corporations would make those people/entities happy
    The banks and corporations didn't get the debt paid only a small part of it. The debtors on the other hand did pretty well out of it. One less debt collector to worry about.
    They obviously perceive they've paid off some medical debt from struggling families.. as usual, the reality is, they don't know who's debt they bought. This strongly mirrors the group's misguided notions and general ignorance.

They are very active in the random PR/attention-seeking department. Achieving results.. not so much.

The way this debt is sold it is impossible to know exactly who and judge the worthiness of it. Given the information they had they made a good stab at making it the most worthy people by the type of debt bought.

Letters were sent to those who received a debt write off. Some of them are now replying.

How the Occupy movement cleared an 80-year-old woman’s $983 medical bill

FOR A YEAR and a half, 80-year-old Kentucky resident Shirley Logsdon received repeated calls from a debt collection agency over an unpaid medical bill.
    Then one day, out of the blue, she received a letter saying the $983 debt had been handled — purchased by Rolling Jubilee, a group linked to the Occupy Wall Street movement.

http://www.thejournal.ie/occupy-buys-womans-983-debt-1203960-Dec2013/

If they had published it, you would have produced a link pages ago.

• Advertisement

Did you have a look at the published information about what was bought?
    Its all on the web if one looks for it.
    One would agree with Godge, one still thinks you're bullshíttíng.

Thought you guys knew all about it?

Here's the link 20 seconds on google would have found it.

http://rollingjubilee.org/transparency/

That doesn't answer my question. How do you know you didn't pay for some banker's wife's boob job? It doesn't say anywhere because even they don't know.

That doesn't answer my question. How do you know you didn't pay for some banker's wife's boob job? It doesn't say anywhere because even they don't know.

Think this has run full circle have explained how it was very unlikely at least twice already. If you are going to ignore any points made and just rant its pretty pointless. Why haven't they cured cancer is up next I suppose.

Think this has run full circle have explained how it was very unlikely at least twice already. If you are going to ignore any points made and just rant its pretty pointless. Why haven't they cured cancer is up next I suppose.
    Very unlikely is it impossible?

Very unlikely is it impossible?

Suppose its progress that your only arguement left is boobs.

Thanks for the link.

The details of the largest purchase ($12m) shows that it is in respect of debts owed to hospitals and medical centres.

This is exactly the point I made weeks ago on this thread that if the debt is from medical centres, it could well be for cosmetic procedures and surgery.

The information requested does not provide the clarity requested. Try again please.

Thanks for the link.

The details of the largest purchase ($12m) shows that it is in respect of debts owed to hospitals and medical centres.

This is exactly the point I made weeks ago on this thread that if the debt is from medical centres, it could well be for cosmetic procedures and surgery.

The information requested does not provide the clarity requested. Try again please.

I'm sure hospitals and medical centers do cosmetic surgery for burns victims, cancer patients etc. Don't know if they do boob jobs for rich people. Do you?

Supposing they do then your scenario would mean a wealthy person gets a boob job, skips off without paying, ruins their credit rating and then the hospital sells this rich persons debt for a few cents in the dollar.
    How likely do you think that is?

Very unlikely I'd say. Even if it did happen you seem to be claiming that it would invalidate the whole process which is patent nonsense. Really grasping at straws at this stage just goes to show no matter what Occupy do the haters gonna hate. The "more clarity" you request is not possible as I'm sure you already know if you've read the rest of the thread. Suppose its an improvement from achieving nothing and being inactive anyway.

Suppose its progress that your only arguement left is boobs.
    That's not an answer. Is it impossible?

• Advertisement

That's not an answer. Is it impossible?

Nothing is impossible. Silly question thought it was rhetorical.

Could u describe the scenario you are thinking of? Can't picture it.

Advertisement