Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy movement- remember them??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

nesf wrote: »
    If that's the attitude you take, why bother with anything? I mean really, do anything in politics or economics and you'll piss off someone.

We're not saying Mabs and only Mabs, we're saying trying to address the long term problems rather than a short term fix that doesn't change the underlying issues regarding credit is the correct, if far less sexy and publicity friendly path.

Why duplicate what a lot of others are already doing? Telling people not to get sick or have an accident doesn't sound very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

Aww I thought this was going to one of those remember how moronic and what a spectacular failure the whole occupy movemnt thing was thread. I am disappoint :(.
    Occupy Galway was the 3rd longest running occupy camp in the world with 260+ days of Occupation of public space.
    Q. And what was achieved in those 260+ days.
    A. Nothing.
    with so little support people cracked up in the end.
    Strange given that the occupy movement claimed to represent 99% of the population. Obviously they didn't represent anyone but themselves.
    it was such a wasted opportunity for all those effected by the 1%* to gather and force real change,
    how was it wasted? You were there for 260 days and your views garnered no support whatsoever. The only thing wasted was people's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Good loser

As many pointed out 'Occupy' were/are an abuse of time and space.

Incompetent and misguided from beginning to end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

20Cent wrote: »
    Why duplicate what a lot of others are already doing? Telling people not to get sick or have an accident doesn't sound very helpful.

Really, I'm not sure if you can be serious here.

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Summers withdrew himself, Obama couldn't force him to do it. He said he would be too acrimonious ie the protesters would be back out if he got the job.

As for Yellen what she will do is yet to be seen but she's said to be more main street than wall street.

Good loser wrote: »
    As many pointed out 'Occupy' were/are an abuse of time and space.

Incompetent and misguided from beginning to end.

Heard of operation Sandy?
    15 written off.
    Hardly a waste of time or space.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

So occupy are taking credit for cold war rocket research now?:D

I saw this joke in ylyl and it applies to a lot of the attitude* that got the world to the point where occupists** thought occupying was a good idea:
    7iPKAi.jpg

* does to apply to the purchase of healthcare designed to restore health, does apply to the vast majority of plastic surgery (i.e. the vanity facelifts etc., not fixing scars etc)

** yeah I know its not a real world, but then the americans can invent normalcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

the problem was occupy was an aimless movement with no leadership structures. those who took part should be commended though because they all recognised something no neoliberal government has, they regcognised the crisis is a result of a flawed system not individual failures.

When politicans talk ****e about welfare culture it is clear they don't understand the system they support

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

antoobrien wrote: »

I saw this joke in ylyl and it applies to a lot of the attitude* that got the world to the point where occupists** thought occupying was a good idea:
    7iPKAi.jpg

well the system encourages greed we are not free individuals we are controlled by relations of production and hegemony, Free will is a myth used by neoliberals to blame poor people for being poor

• Advertisement

antoobrien wrote: »
    So occupy are taking credit for cold war rocket research now?:D

7iPKAi.jpg

* does to apply to the purchase of healthcare designed to restore health, does apply to the vast majority of plastic surgery (i.e. the vanity facelifts etc., not fixing scars etc)

** yeah I know its not a real world, but then the americans can invent normalcy.

So thats a no then maybe look it up.
    Wasy to say only buy things you can afford but the system is set up to put people in debt just to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Wasy to say only buy things you can afford but the system is set up to put people in debt just to survive.

The system in the US? that's undergoing reform at the moment

In Ireland you don't have to borrow to survive, my friend hasn't worked in years and he is arguably better off than most people in India

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

15 written off.
    Hardly a waste of time or space.

I suppose you mean Occupy Sandy?

Their website doesn't seem to work.

Godge wrote: »
    I suppose you mean Occupy Sandy?

Their website doesn't seem to work.

This one: http://occupysandy.net/
    Works for me.

A network of more than 50,000 volunteers provided over 300,000 meals, remediated over 1000 homes, and provided over a million dollars’ worth of donated supplies during and after hurricane Sandy.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    The system in the US? that's undergoing reform at the moment

In Ireland you don't have to borrow to survive, my friend hasn't worked in years and he is arguably better off than most people in India

Threads about the US. People there can work two full time jobs and still be eligible for social welfare. Keeping a roof over your head is enough to drive one into debt. Slipping on some ice and being injured can be a bankruptcy causing incident.

Threads about the US. People there can work two full time jobs and still be eligible for social welfare. Keeping a roof over your head is enough to drive one into debt. Slipping on some ice and being injured can be a bankruptcy causing incident.

Private healthcare can cover someone slipping

Healthcare is being reformed in the US currently because it's overly expensive and generally quite far behind most first world countries

Buying up random medical debt is not solving the issue, just symbolically trying to draw attention to the issue. However "drawing attention to an issue" is probably the broadest definition possible and can include anything from nailing scrotums to the street or climbing cranes in batman suits.

Essentially, whatever Occupy do, whether good or bad, they can claim to be "drawing attention to whatever issue" and hence claim some sort of purpose. VCan't really argue with that, just their methodology which I've mentioned before is typically flawed or misguided

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

20, there's a big difference between:

and:

Operation Sandy - the first result on google this morning - was a cold war era weapons research programme.

Never said anything remotely like that. Point is simple and have made it numerous times. When selecting a head of the fed the more dovish type person was selected over the bearish candidates.

Occupy never did anything.
    Then listing what has been done the argument changes to their not doing the right things.
    If you are for them or not its undeniable that the movement has achieved quite a lot. I know that must cause pain to those who spent years mocking and slagging it but the facts are there. Say what you like but the argument that it achieved nothing is patently not true. In fact it looks ready to go on to bigger and greater things.

• Advertisement

Never said anything remotely like that. Point is simple and have made it numerous times. When selecting a head of the fed the more dovish type person was selected over the bearish candidates.

If you are for them or not its undeniable that the movement has achieved quite a lot.

What have they achieved?

Demonstrate that an apparently "broken" system is capable of supporting people who don't work for months on end while they camp on streets in the middle of a recession?

As a keen supporter of protest I don't know of any other protest movement that has managed to irritate more people than Occupy

Watching that angsty uninformed crowd make confused and diluted arguments is on a par with watching a teenage protest angry at their parents for not letting them out late - it's on about that level

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

The Occupy movement in Ireland was filled with weird "Freeman on the Land" Libertarian types.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    What have they achieved?

Demonstrate that an apparently "broken" system is capable of supporting people who don't work for months on end while they camp on streets in the middle of a recession?

As a keen supporter of protest I don't know of any other protest movement that has managed to irritate more people than Occupy

Watching that angsty uninformed crowd make confused and diluted arguments is on a par with watching a teenage protest angry at their parents for not letting them out late - it's on about that level

Have you read any of the thread or the op?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

The Occupy movement in Ireland was filled with weird "Freeman on the Land" Libertarian types.
    Don't sully libertarians with association.

Have you read any of the thread or the op?

Yup they covered some unknown medical debt

That's not an achievement any more than the daily work of hundreds of charities

She hasn't even gotten the job yet so its a bit early to be writing her off give her a chance.

This is a quote from her.

“This is a very serious problem, it’s not a new problem, it’s a problem that really goes back to the 1980s, in which we have seen a huge rise in income inequality… For many, many years the middle and those below the middle [have been] actually losing absolutely. And frankly a disproportionate share of the gains, it’s not that we haven’t had pretty strong productivity growth for much of this time in the country, but a disproportionate share of those gains have gone to the top ten percent and even the top one percent. So this is an extremely difficult and to my mind very worrisome problem.”

• Advertisement

This is ridiculous she hasn't even started the job yet.
    All points made in the previous post like the mayoral election were ignored and in advance outrage expressed at the one that hasn't even happened yet! A typical response.

In a congress hearing last week Yellen said that the Fed needs to make regulatory policing as important as monetary policy, she also said that a top priority now was to monitor the financial system, which the Fed did not adequately do before the financial crisis. Ms Yellen acknowledged that more work needs to be done to address Too Big to Fail. As far as heads of the fed go this is good news. Never said she was the occupy candidate or herald the second coming just that out of the candidates the more dovish one was selected.

Advertisement